Netflix now banning people who use VPN's etc

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Fuck'um then, will switch to Amazon.

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
yea, still unblocking it, if i get banned, i cancel my sub and use amazon prime or something else similair

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I doubt they'll notice people unsubbing tbh. Over 70% of their subscribers are in America and thus unaffected and I bet not a massive percentage of the remainder are savvy enough to know about VPNs. They have a right to try and protect their region-based system (whether they should be using a region-based system on something as global as the internet is another question altogether).

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
I doubt they'll notice people unsubbing tbh. Over 70% of their subscribers are in America and thus unaffected and I bet not a massive percentage of the remainder are savvy enough to know about VPNs. They have a right to try and protect their region-based system (whether they should be using a region-based system on something as global as the internet is another question altogether).

yea but they are losing goodwill aswell, rather than "ooh would people pay an extra £2 to watch US stuff as an optional bolt-on" or whatever. cos i guarantee spamazon or THENEXTBIGTHING will have it, and it will cost them dear

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing

Pretty much everyone I know with a Netflix account uses Hola routinely. Also, while 70% of Netflix subs are in the US, all their growth is coming from outside, and Netflix has done extremely well out of taking a (very) relaxed attitude towards US access because they know full well it helps with the subs numbers (compare them to the way the BBC jumps on non-UK access to iPlayer for example). If they're starting to block and ban its coming from rights owner threats to their content, not because they want to do it.

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
Good thing I just caught Frozen on the Dutch Netflix an hour ago then

Will suck, but then again I hardly use it and it's my brother's account so I don't pay either

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I probably watch more on US Netflix than I do on Sky.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Sky is shit these days though, just repeats and arse content, I cancelled my Sky about 8-9 year ago.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
For me it's Sky Sports and Atlantic and that's about it tbh.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Tell you what I do miss on Sky, watching Wrestling now and again, more for nostalgia than anything else - used to watch it all the time when I was younger, maybe i'll get sky again so my son can watch it when he gets a bit older.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
So you can show him what utter made up pantomime bullshit it is, right?

No, I'm not a grumpy cunt like you :) I wouldn't ruin his childhood like that by spoiling everything for him.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
So you can show him what utter made up pantomime bullshit it is, right?

Whilst I agree with this totally I also don't agree with giving people shit for watching it or enjoying it. I used to, but then I thought well I like films and they are actors putting on a show so why not appreciate that people enjoy wrestling and the show that they put on? Let people like what they like.

Be more hippy about it @Scouse I have gone real mellow since I hit my 40's unless it involves @MYstIC G that is, then I go all furious :eek:

Edit - oh yeah, what's this Hola? I stopped using VPN because there was nothing that thrilled me on the USA (or any other regions) Netflix over the UK one.

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
Tend to find the Canadian Netflix has all the newer films and the entire Batman Animated Series. Use US for the Anime and random bits. If I can't use Hola to access it, I will probably end up, switching to Amazon.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
why not appreciate that people enjoy wrestling and the show that they put on?

Wouldn't have a problem if the people enjoying it happily acknowledged that it was completely made up, totally staged pantomime bullshit, albeit with very fit and well coreographed actors.

However, the whole industry relies on idiots falling for a massive fraud - and as such I'd much rather point out to people, especially kids, that it's a load of fucking shit and they're displaying their stupidity in falling for it.

If they turn around and go "yeah, I know, but it's fun" then I shut up. But in the main they don't - they go "OMGZFFSZ0R!!!!11!! YOU FUCKING TWAT! OF COURSE IT@S REALZOR!!!! I FUCK YOUR MOM!"

It's sort of the CoD players damn fool "sport" of choice :)

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Wouldn't have a problem if the people enjoying it happily acknowledged that it was completely made up, totally staged pantomime bullshit, albeit with very fit and well coreographed actors.

However, the whole industry relies on idiots falling for a massive fraud - and as such I'd much rather point out to people, especially kids, that it's a load of fucking shit and they're displaying their stupidity in falling for it.

If they turn around and go "yeah, I know, but it's fun" then I shut up. But in the main they don't - they go "OMGZFFSZ0R!!!!11!! YOU FUCKING TWAT! OF COURSE IT@S REALZOR!!!! I FUCK YOUR MOM!"

I feel the same way about Santa.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I feel the same way about Santa.

I kinda hold fire for a bit before dashing kids dreams about him - mainly because "he" gives them presents on the condition that they're nice, rather than asks them to spend money supporting muscled retards pretending to beat each other up and be generally nasty to each other ;)

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
yea but they are losing goodwill aswell, rather than "ooh would people pay an extra £2 to watch US stuff as an optional bolt-on" or whatever. cos i guarantee spamazon or THENEXTBIGTHING will have it, and it will cost them dear

The problem is that legally they probably cannot offer that. Most media is sold by region and is very explicit about what and where they can offer the service. They are in breach of contract by allowing people to watch this media outside the US. The problem is not with Netflix as such, it is the way people like Sony, Fox and Disney sell media to different regions of the world. Sadly they are 20 years behind the curve. What they should be doing is offering non exclusive contracts with internet based services with worldwide availability. Decoupling the internet streaming from the standard region contracts. Sit back and watch the money roll in. Maybe in another 10 years.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I cancelled my Netflix subscription when they changed the browser screen from lots of shelves with lots of small titles (which was fine) to 2-3 shelves with enormous titles and slow, bollocks graphics that loaded each time you scrolled. It all became completely unusable.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Sadly the TV and movie industries haven't really heard of the internet and don't realise that we are a global society when it comes to digital media. When its released in one region then it is released globally.

Its about time they stopped working against it (they will never win) and started working with it.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber

So does reality TV, clickbait news headlines, etc. etc. but you don't champion the need for all of those things to be acknowledged as bullshit by force?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
When its released in one region then it is released globally.

Well, games do fall short of that some times. To be fair and all, but agreed. Digital should equal all available platforms at exactly the same time.

I'd gladly pay 15-30/month if it meant i could watch all of TV whenever i find it convinient, meaning i could download an episode from a paid service in high quality. For movies, since it's a digital copy of a copy, if the price was right(say 2€ for example) and they had a good list of new releases, again, no problem.

As it stands, there's region locks, lacking tv shows, old movies etc and so on.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
So does reality TV, clickbait news headlines, etc. etc. but you don't champion the need for all of those things to be acknowledged as bullshit by force?

Wherever have I said "force" is involved?

If I had a kid, I'd inform them that everything you said above, like wrestling, was idiotic bullshit. That's what parents do, right? Prepare kids as best they can for a world of shit?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I know wrestling isn't real(as do most who watch it), but it's fun to watch for the soapy-plot-entertainment, the commentary and the stunts. Those are very real. Just another tv show. It's the same if DC brought Injustice as a TV show.

If you don't like the show, that's fine, but it's no different from saying "walking dead is idiotic bullsh*t".

For kids? Let them believe what they believe, feeds the imagination and all that kind of crap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom