Nerdy Awesome shit you bought!

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Nah it is fucking shit. I have to confirm that I own the devices (through physical touch) so why can they not transfer the credentials? I've got at least 20 apps with credentials I now have to setup again from scratch, they treat me as a new user. Fucking dumb software.

That does sound a bit shit. When I got my new Xperia earlier in the year, I just filled my details in and all my apps came across from the old one, with all my credentials stored in Google for various apps/websites etc. I think the only ones I had to re-authenticate were my banking apps.

I'm pretty sure there's a dedicated Sony app that would do it all, but the stuff built into Android worked that well it seemed that overkill.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Had a little splurge on a new iPad. Generally massively dislike Apple products, but never had any android tablet half as good as my old iPad.

Embattle

FH is my second home
I don't do Apple, got a Samsung at the moment but if I was buying new I would look at the new Pixel tablet due 2023.

Embattle

FH is my second home
So I've done some adjustments to deal with the coil whine:
  • Moved case back down to floor, rather than at ear level.
  • Enabled G-Sync on window and full screen modes.
  • Ordered a 2*8 pin to 12VHPWR H+ connector, in essence to eliminate the octopus adapter.
I've considered getting it replaced but it isn't guaranteed that the replacement won't be worse.

GReaper

Part of the furniture
What kinda projects are you going to try?

Just a few strips around the office window at work to see how it goes as it's something I've never done before. Ideally want it to be fairly visible to people from outside for people passing by!

smurkin

Can't get enough of FH
So I've done some adjustments to deal with the coil whine:
  • Moved case back down to floor, rather than at ear level.
  • Enabled G-Sync on window and full screen modes.
  • Ordered a 2*8 pin to 12VHPWR H+ connector, in essence to eliminate the octopus adapter.
I've considered getting it replaced but it isn't guaranteed that the replacement won't be worse.
Presumably the whine is from the psu due to increased load? Swapping-out the psu is a huge pain, so many wires to faff with....

Embattle

FH is my second home
Presumably the whine is from the psu due to increased load? Swapping-out the psu is a huge pain, so many wires to faff with....

It isn't often the PSU, I have a Seasonic 850W and every PSU calculator shows for the stuff I have inside my computer I need just over 700w. Normally coil whine is just the graphics card when it is under full load and in my case the GPU Voltage goes above 1000 mV, so an under volt might be a solution. The coil whine is slightly muffled once the CPU gets hotter as the fans start to spin up faster.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Just a few strips around the office window at work to see how it goes as it's something I've never done before. Ideally want it to be fairly visible to people from outside for people passing by!
Red for fuck off, green for available?

I havn't really fucked around with them much, but are you planning on using diffusion channels ?
That can make quite a big difference:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKOWeuV1FWE

GReaper

Part of the furniture
Red for fuck off, green for available?

I havn't really fucked around with them much, but are you planning on using diffusion channels ?
That can make quite a big difference:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKOWeuV1FWE

Nice calm relaxing patterns as standard, then switch to flashing red if the servers are down 😂

Starting with some diffusion channels around the window first, then might go around the entire office if that works well (it's only 170 sq ft!).

My other plan might be to use some SK6812 strips to light up another project.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I saw fewer reports of this than 4090s setting on fire and that turned out to be a load of nonsense.

Ran mine at 100% load for a few hours tonight, and was hitting 65C card max and 89 ish junction max.
If you haven't changed the orientation and your temps are good then ffs leave it as it is. Der Bauer has come to the conclusion (with some pretty compelling evidence) that there's a fundamental problem with the vapour chamber on the reference cards.

Slightly hyperbolic title but a recall is definitely going to hurt (reputationally if nothing else) if that's how they proceed (and I don't see what choice they have if there is indeed an actual design problem).

Last edited:

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Nice calm relaxing patterns as standard, then switch to flashing red if the servers are down 😂

Starting with some diffusion channels around the window first, then might go around the entire office if that works well (it's only 170 sq ft!).

My other plan might be to use some SK6812 strips to light up another project.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZn1fhMdrbQ

If you haven't changed the orientation and your temps are good then ffs leave it as it is. Der Bauer has come to the conclusion (with some pretty compelling evidence) that there's a fundamental problem with the vapour chamber on the reference cards.

Slightly hyperbolic title but a recall is definitely going to hurt (reputationally if nothing else) if that's how they proceed (and I don't see what choice they have if there is indeed an actual design problem).

Mines fine, I guess they have a bad batch somewhere in their production run.

smurkin

Can't get enough of FH
It isn't often the PSU, I have a Seasonic 850W and every PSU calculator shows for the stuff I have inside my computer I need just over 700w. Normally coil whine is just the graphics card when it is under full load and in my case the GPU Voltage goes above 1000 mV, so an under volt might be a solution. The coil whine is slightly muffled once the CPU gets hotter as the fans start to spin up faster.
I guess so. Its been a long while since I built a pc. I seem to recall that at that time PSUs had several rails inside that add up to their total wattage capability and sometimes more than one 12 volt rail for say cpu and gpu. I *believe* it is possible to overload a given rail while still staying within the overall wattage for the psu. This was more of a problem when gpus started getting really big. Probably your modern psu was designed with a modern gpu in mind. You could perhaps have a look to see where your rails are deployed and swap them around a bit. It might help on the troubleshooting. I suppose if the whine is not related to load, it should be the gpu as you say.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Bought myself some nice gaming headphones; EPOS H6Pro (EPOS are now Sennheiser's gaming division). Lovely sound and dead comfy. Look nice as well:
51nnch8aNxL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

dysfunction

FH is my second home
I bought the Steelseries Arctis Pro Wireless Headset. It is amazing.

gunner440

Hey Daddy Altman
I bought the Steelseries Arctis Pro Wireless Headset. It is amazing.

Takes a bit of effort to configure properly using the Sonar stuff but worth it in the end.

GReaper

Part of the furniture
Finally got the initial strip of lights working.

Now I just need another strip to complete the 8 metres around the window, and install it!

Attachments

• PXL_20230122_221141645.TS~2.mp4
    45.3 MB

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
How much? I like the 10w power usage. But I have my main PC plugged in in the living room :)

Embattle

FH is my second home
How much? I like the 10w power usage. But I have my main PC plugged in in the living room :)

Well my system is based around a Synology 1821+, in essence the clients have the compatibility not require anything more from the NAS but recently I've increased my 4K (MKVs) and Blu-rays (H265) that include DTS, Dobly Atmos, Dolby Vision, etc. but the Plex LG TV (C2) App can't seemingly handle those formats. As an example a 4K film like Citizen Kane has a DTS track and everything goes wrong since the NAS tries to transcode the DTS and you end up with no picture, Flash Gordon 4K has a DTS track and it ends up playing a Dolby Digital commentary track.

smurkin

Can't get enough of FH
Well my system is based around a Synology 1821+, in essence the clients have the compatibility not require anything more from the NAS but recently I've increased my 4K (MKVs) and Blu-rays (H265) that include DTS, Dobly Atmos, Dolby Vision, etc. but the Plex LG TV (C2) App can't seemingly handle those formats. As an example a 4K film like Citizen Kane has a DTS track and everything goes wrong since the NAS tries to transcode the DTS and you end up with no picture, Flash Gordon 4K has a DTS track and it ends up playing a Dolby Digital commentary track.
The DTS on the synology was defective/disabled last time I checked because they don't support the codec (too cheap to pay the license fees). There is a community workaround. I don't imagine it will fix the Plex limitation.

Embattle

FH is my second home
The DTS on the synology was defective/disabled last time I checked because they don't support the codec (too cheap to pay the license fees). There is a community workaround. I don't imagine it will fix the Plex limitation.

The LG (C2) doesn't support DTS either, which is the main issue when playing from inbuilt app such as Plex but then I read the Nvidia Shield as a somewhat expensive workaround.

smurkin

Can't get enough of FH
The LG (C2) doesn't support DTS either, which is the main issue when playing from inbuilt app such as Plex but then I read the Nvidia Shield as a somewhat expensive workaround.
A more expensive option would be to buy an AV amp :) and lots of speakers ;) - although I'm not sure that DTS would pass through from the LG to to the amp over eARC.

Embattle

FH is my second home
A more expensive option would be to buy an AV amp :) and lots of speakers ;) - although I'm not sure that DTS would pass through from the LG to to the amp over eARC.

In front of the TV is a LG Sound Bar SP8YA, I did complain to LG about how they don't support DTS on the TV but do on their own soundbar.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
As you'll be able to tell I cooked without FH and starting random arguments with people by buying lots of stuff....and starting random arguments on other forums.

Latest purchase to arrive:

Basically a fancy OBD Scanner with an easy to use app that means I can interrogate the car, change some options and generally get more info about my ageing BMW. So first thing I did:

20230426_143135.JPG

Switched on the digital Speedo in the cluster so I can actually see how far over the speed limit I'm driving. Took 5 mins and the car even worked afterwards!

Although we don't talk about the error codes it found. Mostly as going by them I think I need a new water pump, and it's one of the few parts on this that comes with a BMW tax - think it's about 450 + fitting :( Still it's lasted 168k miles so overall a good innings.

Embattle

FH is my second home
The Shield TV Pro worked perfectly, DTS, DD ATMOS and Dolby Vision all coming through perfectly.

An interesting app I downloaded was the IQAir app, it shows you multiple stats regarding air quality where you live and elsewhere but you can also buy hardware to monitor it inside your house or around it and thus contribute more data to the platform.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom