Nerdy Awesome shit you bought!

ECA

I am a FH squatter
How's the hot raytracing action?
RT is the new hairworks.
Even a 4090 is down to sub 60fps with it.. whats the point.
Maybe in 5-10 years it'll be real for ps6/7.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Picked up a 7900 XTX. first new card in 5 years.
Reference or AIB? I'm waiting to see if a) the poor VR performance is just a driver thing and not something more serious and b) Sapphire do a Toxic.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Reference or AIB? I'm waiting to see if a) the poor VR performance is just a driver thing and not something more serious and b) Sapphire do a Toxic.
reference
vr performance is in the known issues list.
fix will be coming early jan, holidays and all that.

The performance is nuts though... well i'm coming from a 1070 ti I sat on for 5 years through the crypto era, but even so outperforming a 3090ti is crazy, and only being 20% behind a 4090.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
reference

The performance is nuts though... well i'm coming from a 1070 ti I sat on for 5 years through the crypto era, but even so outperforming a 3090ti is crazy, and only being 20% behind a 4090.
Yeah the rasterisation performance looks great and some of the AIB cards (with 3 8-pin connectors) seem to have loads of overclocking headroom as well, albeit pretty inefficiently.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Finally caved in and ordered a new Samsung S22 to replace my S9 (also get a free Chromebook4). Arrives Friday. Fun times ahead transferring everything across.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Finally caved in and ordered a new Samsung S22 to replace my S9 (also get a free Chromebook4). Arrives Friday. Fun times ahead transferring everything across.
Transferring from (pretty much) any Android device to a Samsung Galaxy phone/tablet is dead easy with their Smart Switch app. I got my mum a new tablet for Christmas (a 128 GB Galaxy Tab S7 FE for just 399 € in Samsung's Black Friday sale) and it was just a matter of installing the app on the old device and telling it what I wanted to copy over. I told it to do everything (contacts, apps, data, photos, etc) and it was so thorough it even set the home screen shortcuts up the same (as best it could, the screen on the new one was much bigger so it was a bit of a mess but it tried).

One of her main concerns was making sure her high score in some card game or other that she loves was preserved and I was thinking I was going to have to go digging around in the data dirs to find it but nope, the app just did it all.

Embattle

FH is my second home
reference

I'm considering a new graphics card as my 1070 is feeling the pain.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Transferring from (pretty much) any Android device to a Samsung Galaxy phone/tablet is dead easy with their Smart Switch app. I got my mum a new tablet for Christmas (a 128 GB Galaxy Tab S7 FE for just 399 € in Samsung's Black Friday sale) and it was just a matter of installing the app on the old device and telling it what I wanted to copy over. I told it to do everything (contacts, apps, data, photos, etc) and it was so thorough it even set the home screen shortcuts up the same (as best it could, the screen on the new one was much bigger so it was a bit of a mess but it tried).

One of her main concerns was making sure her high score in some card game or other that she loves was preserved and I was thinking I was going to have to go digging around in the data dirs to find it but nope, the app just did it all.
That's great, my only concern is the transfer of my authenticator apps like Steam, Microsoft, Google, does it leave the old phone intact incase the transfer fucks up somehow?

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
That's great, my only concern is the transfer of my authenticator apps like Steam, Microsoft, Google, does it leave the old phone intact incase the transfer fucks up somehow?

Yes, everything stays on the old phone until you factory reset it.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing

Transferring from my Note 9 to my Pixel Pro was a doddle, Microsoft and Google included. The only slight pain in the arse was banking apps but there's nothing you could do about that; Open Banking/PSD2 means reauthing.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Transferring from my Note 9 to my Pixel Pro was a doddle, Microsoft and Google included. The only slight pain in the arse was banking apps but there's nothing you could do about that; Open Banking/PSD2 means reauthing.
Will find out tomorrow, I guess biometrics will not transfer as they are stored in the secure enclave so will have to relearn my fingerprints. Hopefully the S22 is a marked improvement over my S9, the main reason for the upgrade is that there are no more firmware updates for it.

Embattle

FH is my second home
reference

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
This sort of thing:
If my house is going to be freezing it doesn't mean I need to be :)

1671804083832.png

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Just ordered a:

Nice, just to check/etc, these gpus are mad and you might need a new cpu and/or monitor.

the tldr is: at 1080p you are going to be cpu limited more likely than not, at quite a few titles even 1440p you will hit cpu limits before gpu.
Either an intel 13900k or an amd 7000 series or 5800x3d is necessary to minimise that bottleneck.

eg hitman 3 bouncing off the cpu @1440p

1671807881289.png

It isn't every game, but thats why I keep describing these cards as crazy....
Really looking more at a 4k/144hz display ( some 4k/165 ).

Maybe a 4k/120 tv, because 4k at regular sizes isn't the best., or VR where the resolutions are nutty enough you'll be on the gpu more.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Will find out tomorrow, I guess biometrics will not transfer as they are stored in the secure enclave so will have to relearn my fingerprints. Hopefully the S22 is a marked improvement over my S9, the main reason for the upgrade is that there are no more firmware updates for it.
Busy patching the S22 before I attempt a wire-wire Smart Switch transfer. Just doing the final patches for Android 13.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Nice, just to check/etc, these gpus are mad and you might need a new cpu and/or monitor.

the tldr is: at 1080p you are going to be cpu limited more likely than not, at quite a few titles even 1440p you will hit cpu limits before gpu.
Either an intel 13900k or an amd 7000 series or 5800x3d is necessary to minimise that bottleneck.

eg hitman 3 bouncing off the cpu @1440p

View attachment 47429

It isn't every game, but thats why I keep describing these cards as crazy....
Really looking more at a 4k/144hz display ( some 4k/165 ).

Maybe a 4k/120 tv, because 4k at regular sizes isn't the best., or VR where the resolutions are nutty enough you'll be on the gpu more.

I've got a Intel 12900K which was a recent upgrade along with everything else except the graphics card, PSU and case. I also got a LG 32GP850 monitor so run games at 1440p resolution.

I've been delaying buying a graphics card for some time now due to the bonkers prices. The problem is they've been like that since the initial 3080s sold at MSRP but after that they just went up and up, in fact even now any 3080s available are above the original MSRP even though they are EOL. I don't really see GPU prices going back to the good old days, nothing in the market gives me much of an impression of that happening any time soon.

Hopefully this card will ultimately last me 4-5 years.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Well Smart Switch was fucking shit, it transferred all the apps but none of the cached credentials.
Busy patching the S22 before I attempt a wire-wire Smart Switch transfer. Just doing the final patches for Android 13.
One thing is for sure, the display is years ahead of my S9. Everything just pops out at you. The responsiveness is deffo better. Just hate the fucking fact that Smart Switch is shit and every app that has credentials is asking me to signup or enter existing ones to continue.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
It seems pretty sensible that it doesn't transfer cached logins tbh... if all you have to do is log in to some apps and not have to meticulously transfer everything across then I'd still call that a win.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
It seems pretty sensible that it doesn't transfer cached logins tbh... if all you have to do is log in to some apps and not have to meticulously transfer everything across then I'd still call that a win.
Nah it is fucking shit. I have to confirm that I own the devices (through physical touch) so why can they not transfer the credentials? I've got at least 20 apps with credentials I now have to setup again from scratch, they treat me as a new user. Fucking dumb software.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Seems pretty ungrateful to shit on a solution that's saved you hours of toing and froing to get the apps and data across but whatever. Now instead of having to install all the apps from scratch and login to them, you just have to login to them.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Nah it is fucking shit. I have to confirm that I own the devices (through physical touch) so why can they not transfer the credentials? I've got at least 20 apps with credentials I now have to setup again from scratch, they treat me as a new user. Fucking dumb software.
Security risk, if someone gets your phone unlocked they could jack all your credentials.

Bitwarden on android is nice though, syncs with desktop on free edition and lets you login to most android apps.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
I've got a Intel 12900K which was a recent upgrade along with everything else except the graphics card, PSU and case. I also got a LG 32GP850 monitor so run games at 1440p resolution.

I've been delaying buying a graphics card for some time now due to the bonkers prices. The problem is they've been like that since the initial 3080s sold at MSRP but after that they just went up and up, in fact even now any 3080s available are above the original MSRP even though they are EOL. I don't really see GPU prices going back to the good old days, nothing in the market gives me much of an impression of that happening any time soon.

Hopefully this card will ultimately last me 4-5 years.

I'm also hoping for a good 5 years or so, 12900k is ok, but you will be losing up to 30% fps in 1440p games where you're not cpu bound. ( obv simple solution is super sample from 4k and you won't be losing fps ).

ECA

I am a FH squatter

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Security risk, if someone gets your phone unlocked they could jack all your credentials.

Bitwarden on android is nice though, syncs with desktop on free edition and lets you login to most android apps.
It does looks like a conscious decision. On top of the risk of someone being able to basically clone an unlocked phone with logins and everything, any app worth its salt will use a unique device ID as a key in the encryption process so the credentials would probably be refused if you copied them over anyway.

Embattle

FH is my second home
I saw fewer reports of this than 4090s setting on fire and that turned out to be a load of nonsense.

Ran mine at 100% load for a few hours tonight, and was hitting 65C card max and 89 ish junction max.

I've seen a few including some on forums from owners of the reference design, although like all it is probably less than the noise being made.

I saw more information about the 12VHPWR issue, in essence the design of the connection has helped cause a higher amount of user error as the connector just isn't pushed on far enough.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Seems pretty ungrateful to shit on a solution that's saved you hours of toing and froing to get the apps and data across but whatever. Now instead of having to install all the apps from scratch and login to them, you just have to login to them.

It does looks like a conscious decision. On top of the risk of someone being able to basically clone an unlocked phone with logins and everything, any app worth its salt will use a unique device ID as a key in the encryption process so the credentials would probably be refused if you copied them over anyway.
Phone security is not an issue as I unlocked the phone (same risk as if I unlocked it on the street to check my emails). They could enhance the security of Smart Switch by making you enter your PIN before transferring sensitive data.

Bitwarden is amazing, been using it for years now.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Here come the pictures:

Card 1.jpg

So as you can see the 4080 is massive compared to the 1070, although the PCB is pretty much the same the cooler is where the difference in size shows.

Now two case shots showing the size of the originally 1070 and then another with the 4080 installed:

Comp Case 1.jpg

Comp Case 2.jpg

So the last picture is of the graphics card support:

Riser 1.jpg

Due to its size and weight this support stand is designed to help stop the card from sagging, however the one that came with the product is utterly useless since it is so small it is no taller than the PSU when fully extended on the previous pictures. I do however have a ASUS Board that has a safeslot thus it has a stronger PCIe slot.

Other point of note is that annoying adapter you have to use, I've got a plan that once the Seasonic cable is more widely available I'll got one of those some I don't have to use the adapter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom