Nerdy Awesome shit you bought!

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I happen to think the cheap lights should be banned in this country, that we should go down the German route and demand that bikes can only have stvzo lighting fitted. But there's no real chance of that happening tbh.

It is incredibly annoying when you're on a dark path and someone with a cheapo light completely blinds you :(

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I happen to think the cheap lights should be banned in this country, that we should go down the German route and demand that bikes can only have stvzo lighting fitted. But there's no real chance of that happening tbh.
Good - don't want to have to spend £300/pop on breakable items when I can spend £20.

It is incredibly annoying when you're on a dark path and someone with a cheapo light completely blinds you :(
True. But I don't use them on the roads. Offroad? Meh - I want all the light I can get (but point 'em downwards sharply if it's like a walking path or something). :)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Good - don't want to have to spend £300/pop on breakable items when I can spend £20.

There's nothing inherently expensive about good light design, you just need LEDs that can't be seen directly, a reflector to bounce the light in the right direction, and perhaps a projector lens to give greater focus.

Busch & Muller Ixon Core front light

Mine is pretty expensive because I bought the best one I could find.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
A proper nerdy piece of equipment has been bought:

THC 22 HDCP Converter | Accessories|THC 22 HDCP Converter from Triax

Basically, ultra HD content needs HDCP 2.2 in order to pass 4K HDR content - pain in the fucking ass if you've spent fortunes on equipment that only has HDCP 1.4 (TV's, AV Receivers, etc.). I picked up Apple TV 4k which is superb, but my AV receiver only supports HDCP 1.4 and thus downsamples all 4k content to 1080p. This little box takes HDCP 2.2 and "masks" the HDCP 1.4 component allowing it to pass through the 4k content properly. Instead of burning £500+ on a new AV receiver, this little box at £65 fixes the problem.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
@Big G Shows you that the hardware/cables/bandwidth isn't an issue, it's a MPAA/etc scumming.

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
I am partial to this kind of stuff, a different kind of tech. Nerdy? Maybe. Awesome? I think so. :D

Lange.jpg

Exioce

Part of the furniture

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE8tATPge7o

Intrigued after watching this, I downloaded nicehash, the marketplace for selling and buying computer power for cryptocurrency mining.

End result, my gaming PC could generate an estimated £1.08 profit per day, after power costs are factored in.
Could see this being a solid idea if you have a multi-GPU setup, some old cards lying around, or ultra low energy costs. Barely worth it for the rest of us though.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Honestly, I wouldn't base any decisions off of that muppet's content but yes it's still profitable, especially if you hold onto what you mine (or the equivalent BTC rewards you get through Nicehash) with the hope that its value increases in the future. Bitcoin is a toxic community right now and the general feeling outside of their little bubble is that Ethereum is going to be the dominant blockchain within the next 2 years, because it does so much more than Bitcoin's can or ever will...

Anyway, tl;dr: yes it's still profitable.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Also, Nicehash is good for a set and forget set up, it will run benchmarks on whatever hardware you present it with and will automatically switch between coins depending on what's profitable. It will also use your CPU if you want it to (to mine Monero, for example). Whatever you mine, it pays you in Bitcoin.

Me, I'm all about Ethereum so I mine it directly (through a pool) and get paid in it.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Me, I'm all about Ethereum so I mine it directly (through a pool) and get paid in it.
If you want ethereum why not mine zcash or zen and convert to ethereum - you'll earn it faster as they're more profitable coins atm...

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
1) Zcash isn't more profitable (I'm 100% AMD which still do great on Ethereum but not so good on Equihash compared to Nvidia).
2) The price of ETH is going to take a bump up this week (it's all but inevitable at this point - famous last words), making it more expensive to buy with the Zcash that I'd receive = less Ethereum in the long run.
3) To support the Ethereum network.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
1) Zcash isn't more profitable (I'm 100% AMD which still do great on Ethereum but not so good on Equihash compared to Nvidia).
2) The price of ETH is going to take a bump up this week (it's all but inevitable at this point - famous last words), making it more expensive to buy with the Zcash that I'd receive = less Ethereum in the long run.
3) To support the Ethereum network.

What makes you say that @caLLous?
Ethereum breaks the $400 barrier to hit an all-time high

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Just bought a switch with zelda and mario odyssey.

Time to see what every one has been talking about

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Set a new all time high of $488, it's come back down to earth a bit now ($~464 as I type this) but Bitcoin's gone on a bit of a charge ($9100+).
Bought a little bit of eth not that long ago. May swich my mining rigs over as it's going to be more profitable short term. Pleased with the btc price tho - and my mate's going to be over the moon about that - he'll be able to pay both his mortgages off ;)

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
The feeling is that there'll be a pretty severe correction after it hits $10k which will probably drag all of the others down a couple of notches with it. Ethereum will come out of the other side stronger, though.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Finally got round to start ripping all our 400+ DVD's to my Home Server over Xmas after we had a slight DVD Location Emergency (We were having a Die Hard marathon and couldn't find Die Hard with a Vengeance), and very quickly came across two issues which were making the process even more painful than it should be:

1) My old PC is taking about 2 Hours a disk to convert stuff to MP4, it's a Phenom X2 and I am such a power user ont he Desktop, this is the first time I've run out of oomph.
2) I've run out of space on the server. Always going to happen as it only has 1Tb in there spread across 3 drives, but happened much quicker then expected.

So to remedy this I have ordered........a new (old) CPU. My mobo appears to go up to the Phenom X6, but they are still £££ (over £100 for a 5+ year old CPU), so I found a Phenom X4 955 for £40 on Amazon. Should be here by the end of the week, then the sheer brute force of this desktop will be feared around the land.

Then to go in the spare HDD bay in my server I've ordered
View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/WD-TB-Enterprise-Hard-Drive/dp/B01IY9USY6/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1514914367&sr=8-4&keywords=wd+gold
Slightly more than the WD Reds, but 7200 rpm and the other WD Enterprise drives I've had have been solid.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
If you got the dvd why dont you download them from torrent. Save a lot of time if you got ok do speed tbh

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Finally got round to start ripping all our 400+ DVD's to my Home Server over Xmas after we had a slight DVD Location Emergency (We were having a Die Hard marathon and couldn't find Die Hard with a Vengeance), and very quickly came across two issues which were making the process even more painful than it should be:

1) My old PC is taking about 2 Hours a disk to convert stuff to MP4, it's a Phenom X2 and I am such a power user ont he Desktop, this is the first time I've run out of oomph.
2) I've run out of space on the server. Always going to happen as it only has 1Tb in there spread across 3 drives, but happened much quicker then expected.

So to remedy this I have ordered........a new (old) CPU. My mobo appears to go up to the Phenom X6, but they are still £££ (over £100 for a 5+ year old CPU), so I found a Phenom X4 955 for £40 on Amazon. Should be here by the end of the week, then the sheer brute force of this desktop will be feared around the land.

Then to go in the spare HDD bay in my server I've ordered
View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/WD-TB-Enterprise-Hard-Drive/dp/B01IY9USY6/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1514914367&sr=8-4&keywords=wd+gold
Slightly more than the WD Reds, but 7200 rpm and the other WD Enterprise drives I've had have been solid.

1TB drive?

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
1TB drive?

Yep, doubling the capacity of the server :)

Also have never bothered with RAID, just have a local and offsite copy of all my stuff. Anything critical is in a Cloud somewhere, and if I lose anything else there will be a another copy on the network somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom