Nerdy Awesome shit you bought!

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Finally got round to start ripping all our 400+ DVD's to my Home Server over Xmas after we had a slight DVD Location Emergency (We were having a Die Hard marathon and couldn't find Die Hard with a Vengeance), and very quickly came across two issues which were making the process even more painful than it should be:

1) My old PC is taking about 2 Hours a disk to convert stuff to MP4, it's a Phenom X2 and I am such a power user ont he Desktop, this is the first time I've run out of oomph.
2) I've run out of space on the server. Always going to happen as it only has 1Tb in there spread across 3 drives, but happened much quicker then expected.

So to remedy this I have ordered........a new (old) CPU. My mobo appears to go up to the Phenom X6, but they are still £££ (over £100 for a 5+ year old CPU), so I found a Phenom X4 955 for £40 on Amazon. Should be here by the end of the week, then the sheer brute force of this desktop will be feared around the land.

Then to go in the spare HDD bay in my server I've ordered
View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/WD-TB-Enterprise-Hard-Drive/dp/B01IY9USY6/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1514914367&sr=8-4&keywords=wd+gold
Slightly more than the WD Reds, but 7200 rpm and the other WD Enterprise drives I've had have been solid.

Depending on the encoding speed of the new CPU the 7200 RPM disk could be a waste... plus it will run hotter

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Depending on the encoding speed of the new CPU the 7200 RPM disk could be a waste... plus it will run hotter

7200 rpm drive is for storing the movies after I've copied them :) New CPU is going in my desktop, which already has an SSD fitted.

Syri

FH is my second home
5400rpm is fine for video streaming, I can have 2 people stream full hd films at the same time with no trouble on mine (WD Green). I'd have gone for a larger drive personally, rather than faster.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
If the are dvds then i seen ok rips at about 1gb. So for 400 dvds thats not even half a tb.

Guess it depends on the encode

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Yep, doubling the capacity of the server :)

Also have never bothered with RAID, just have a local and offsite copy of all my stuff. Anything critical is in a Cloud somewhere, and if I lose anything else there will be a another copy on the network somewhere.
Fair play, just thought it was a typo. DVD quality must take up less space than I imagined :)

smurkin

Can't get enough of FH
For the transcoding, you could try using your GPU - Cuda or Nvenc acceleration with H264/5- these will blast through your transcodes much quicker than the cpu - the only thing is that you might not be able to use the mp4 wrapper - you could have a look at mediacoder if you are interested

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Damn. Consider an upgrade. Those things are cool :)

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
Upgrading soon, will be using that ssd as secondary drive for games etc with existing 1TB HD for storage.

Bodhi

For the transcoding, you could try using your GPU - Cuda or Nvenc acceleration with H264/5- these will blast through your transcodes much quicker than the cpu - the only thing is that you might not be able to use the mp4 wrapper - you could have a look at mediacoder if you are interested

Can I do that with a Radeon 5850? :)

smurkin

Can't get enough of FH
Can I do that with a Radeon 5850? :)

Probably not. If you have 400 titles to transcode, it might be worth investing in an inexpensuve nvidia card (or borrow one) because GPU hardware accelerations are so much faster (eg. 150 hours of encoding versus perhaps 750 hours - something like that). Or go round a friends house and give it a go with nvenc/cuda/mediacoder to see if it works for you before stumping-up. Mediacoder is free but if you want to batch queue more than 3 or 4 files, you will need to pay for it to get rid of the annoying shareware notifications.

smurkin

Can't get enough of FH
If the are dvds then i seen ok rips at about 1gb. So for 400 dvds thats not even half a tb.

Guess it depends on the encode

Or just rip the vobs and change the file extension to mpeg if it is for playback on a pc.

Bodhi

Or just rip the vobs and change the file extension to mpeg if it is for playback on a pc.

I did try this, and got "encoding" time down to about 15 minutes, but Plex didn't like the format too much, plus the files were huge. Also tried good ole DivX, fast rips but grainy sub VCR quality :(

Anyway the Phenom X4 is here and installed. Other than having to give Windows 10 a prod to suggest the CPU had changed (remove drivers and reinstall), the entire process took about 5 minutes - and rips are down to about an hour, which I can cope with.

Bodhi

Encoding?

DVD?

WHAT YEAR IS IT?!

The year all our old films are spread across 4 different streaming services, and we can't be arsed going through them all to find the one we want.

Bodhi

And the small but meaty HDD I bought is here too. This actually took longer to install than the CPU, but that's mostly due to my lack of Linux skillz.

Bodhi

Nikon Coolshot 20 review - Golf Monthly

Had enough of pissing about with a GPS app on my phone, so bought one of these. The leading dedicated golf brand is silly money (Bushnell), but a Nikon for half the price? I'll have that.

Just tried it out, and it accurately told me the cat was 6 yards away. And hungry. As usual.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Because... Adulting.

Not allowed to do home automation in kitchen, something about having everything removed again is a bad idea.. I never listen to her.

I also suppose a house.. Considering I've not posted here in years.

Attachments

• 28238757_10155114868581536_4799006675298748825_o.jpg
    28238757_10155114868581536_4799006675298748825_o.jpg
    297.1 KB · Views: 29

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Because... Adulting.

Not allowed to do home automation in kitchen, something about having everything removed again is a bad idea.. I never listen to her.

I also suppose a house.. Considering I've not posted here in years.

Why does the 07 look so much bigger than the 22?

Syri

FH is my second home
Picked up a Panasonic GX8 today with 14-140 lens, and it's an ex-display model, so it was nice and cheap too. Just need some decent weather to have a good play with it now.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
5 x Linksys Velop after my Asus WiFi Router WiFi died. Pretty impressed so far. Setup was a breeze and whole house was covered with 3 but now added 2 downstairs for extra signal strength and coverage, ac ducting causing issues in the kitchen

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
5 x Linksys Velop after my Asus WiFi Router WiFi died. Pretty impressed so far. Setup was a breeze and whole house was covered with 3 but now added 2 downstairs for extra signal strength and coverage, ac ducting causing issues in the kitchen
How fucking big is your house when you need five?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom