Nerdy Awesome shit you bought!

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Ok dudes here's a quick summary of my first impressions of the Asus PG348. Note: for the record I also have the Acer XB321HK.

What were my expectations/desires up front?
Well, primarily I wanted to get "faster" monitor. In quasi-technical terms I wanted to reduce the amount of ghosting / overshoot I could see on the '321. I experienced this as blur, and it happened primarily when I played my current fave game, eg WOT. In my WOT setup there will be text moving across the screen, generally in the horizontal plane, that I have an interest in reading. The perceived "blur" prohibits me from easily doing so, hence the annoyance. In all other respects the '321 is a decent monitor (uneven back-light and/or bleeding issues aside). If you don't have a requirement like I do, want to play at 4K and have a system that can handle it, well, it's about as good as it gets.

What were my immediate thoughts?
Firstly: holy hell this thing is wiiiiide. Ofc it's wide! It's a 3440x1440 monitor.
I also noticed that the monitor body is very plastic-ish, whereas the "foot" it stands on is heavy, made of metal and generally quite awesome. Might be me but visually I feel that the monitor body does not suit it's awesome foot. Hey ho though, in my general use of the monitor I won't be looking at the back of the thing heh. The foot does let me turn and tilt the monitor a whole lot more than the Acer though, for sure.

Turning it on, what I noticed straight off is that I see nothing of the (admittedly slight) uneven back-light I see on my '321. Also, I notice that the buttons at the back right-hand of the screen, and the OSD in general is pretty intuitive, which is good because Asus' documentation is shit or non-existent. Anyway, I turned on the monitor overclock immediately, because this is kind of the only reason I have bought this thing. This OC function lets you turn up your refresh rate from 60 to 100Hz in 5Hz increments. I set it to maximum straight away and tested in some games. It worked, so cool beans.

So, 100Hz eh? GSYNC eh?
Yeah. I have an Nvidia 1080 so it's a fair assumption I will be able to make things work with this monitor. I generally managed to set or tune my most-played games to allowable framerates, from say 45 in The Division to whatever it got to in Elite: Dangerous (anything between 45 and 100's). As this '348 has approx 3440x1440 / 3440x2160, or 4953600 / 7430400, or 66% of the pixels, I'm bravely and naively expecting a frame rate improvement of say...30% or so. *blinks* This should put me anything between something I already view as acceptable, and something that I will have to see, meaning GSYNC'd frequencies in excess of 60Hz with hopefully much less ghosting and/or overshoot. Looking forward to that, oh yeah :)

What were my second thoughts?
Ooh, hard one. I still have to play more. Some thoughts:
rationally I can say that I kinda like the curve to the screen. There are those who argue it's a gimmick, and I think that we've actually proved here on FH that the curvature is not enough to really work, but its there and I don't hate it (yet). The other thought I have is that the wideness is not really useful for anything other than immersion purposes when you're playing a game. I mean, your effective screen real-estate is a fairly small circle around whatever the hell part of the screen you happen to be looking at. Games that orient you to the middle, well that means that effectively the middle part of the screen is where you get all your pertinent information and the two side thirds are eye-candy or less pertinent data. Ofc, if you're not playing a game but using something like a music or drawing program, or even programming perhaps (still have to do that on this screen) it may be that the side thirds of the screen become more effective. My current final thought is that the screen seems every so slightly less sharp than the Acer '321. I theorize that this is because there is 33% less pixels to the height of the screen. I only notice this because I literally switched monitors this morning and I'm still very used to the Acer.

Hope this helps guys!

PS. oh, aye, all my 4K wallpapers are fucked. ffs :eek:

Last edited:

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I have the Acer Predator. First thing I did was play fps in full widescreen. The second thing I did was be a bit sick. The third thing was to reduce my fps gaming to a window, to avoid motion sickness :)

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Calling nerdy tech as they are WiFi control:

Rionte Delta Series Radiators WiFi control with apps on Android/Apple etc.

D-Series Ref Colour
Rad 11 Element DIB1210RAD Graphite
Rad 9 Element DIB0990RAD Graphite
Rad 11 Element DIB1210RAD Graphite
Rad 13 Element DIB1430RAD Graphite
Rad 13 Element DIW1430RAD White
Rad 13 Element DIW1430RAD White
Rad 3 Element DIW330RAD White

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Brennan B2 from Amazon.

Quite expensive for what is a Raspberry Pi based design but the software and continuing s/w development is excellent. Community asked for playlists and he did a great job adding that.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2K22ftIFoM&feature=youtu.be

Plan is to load it up in Dubai, where all the CDs etc. are, then take it back to UK at Christmas then install and leave there. Not going to use the amp side of it as we will source a multi room system (with spdif). From all the posts and reviews it seems to be a nice bit of kit, capable of storing 2200 CD in FLAC format (2TB model).

If anyone knows a good multi room capable system with a dig i/p I am looking. Kit sound one I did find.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Brennan B2 from Amazon.

Quite expensive for what is a Raspberry Pi based design but the software and continuing s/w development is excellent. Community asked for playlists and he did a great job adding that.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2K22ftIFoM&feature=youtu.be

Plan is to load it up in Dubai, where all the CDs etc. are, then take it back to UK at Christmas then install and leave there. Not going to use the amp side of it as we will source a multi room system (with spdif). From all the posts and reviews it seems to be a nice bit of kit, capable of storing 2200 CD in FLAC format (2TB model).

If anyone knows a good multi room capable system with a dig i/p I am looking. Kit sound one I did find.

Looks good but it seems a bit behind the curve? Even my old man who's a HiFi nut concedes that remote streaming / subscription is the future. I'm considering splitting a Qobuz sub with him, £100 a year for all-you-can-eat CD quality streaming.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Looks good but it seems a bit behind the curve? Even my old man who's a HiFi nut concedes that remote streaming / subscription is the future. I'm considering splitting a Qobuz sub with him, £100 a year for all-you-can-eat CD quality streaming.
Somewhat but when you 500+ CDs around the house it seems like a decent approach. Guess i just resent losing the rights to it and having to pay again :) I just basically want a copy of everything at the house in UK, all the CDs and iTunes library etc.. Been looking at some Naim multi room kits and they can do the streaming if we want it.

smurkin

Can't get enough of FH

Not really behind the curve if the streaming service doesn't stock the music you want to listen to (as in my case in the here and now) - probably ok if your tastes are mainstream. Streaming is a bit of a poor option, imho.

Exioce

Part of the furniture
The shift towards "allow machine learning to decide my playlists", in all aspects of life has been marked this last couple of years. Privacy concerns etc. but the next generation is going to take AI for granted.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I was all up for Spotify until an album I occasionally like listening to disappeared one day. What's the point in having a record collection where people remove your records at random, without warning? Sod that. I cancelled my subscription when it happened.

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
I was all up for Spotify until an album I occasionally like listening to disappeared one day. What's the point in having a record collection where people remove your records at random, without warning? Sod that. I cancelled my subscription when it happened.
Bucks Fizz Greatest Hits wasn't it?, I had the same problem, when will people see the genius that is Cheryl Baker

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.

That is a pain in the ass, but at least with Qobuz you have the option of buying the FLAC tracks and owning the product.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Actually it was Armchair Theatre by Jeff Lynne. The LP I have downstairs still plays...

smurkin

Can't get enough of FH
Bucks Fizz Greatest Hits wasn't it?, I had the same problem, when will people see the genius that is Cheryl Baker

Worry not, they have it on amazon unlimited (I have the free trial running at the moment) - unfortunately, they don't have the Jeff Lynne which seems to have been earmarked for digital obscurity.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Bought one of these on a whim, mostly because I have multiple jobs and keep leaving my trusty Gerber on the wrong job.

91r4YqJy4FS._SL1500_.jpg

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Hope you make your money back
It's a risk, admittedly.

It was either that or pay a shedload of tax on the cash. In 12 months if I haven't made the cash back then at least I'll have some hardware to sell :)

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I genuinely don't understand your thought process here. :( You'd be better off just buying crypto at this point. It'll take you 400 days to get as much Ethereum (for example) as you would have if you just bought 22-ish ETH right now (assuming £5k-ish outlay), and it's only going to get more difficult so the rewards are going to go down.

And ffs don't waste money on "mining cases", knock them together yourself out of wood or aluminium for next to nothing or buy a £10 shelf unit and hang the cards from it with cable ties. It's all about return on investment (which at this point you're already going to struggle with, especially if your time frame is a year), which is why people use the cheapest Celeron processors and you see all sorts of home-built chassis. If you're hoping to get your cash back in 12 months that implies that you're mining to sell, rather than holding and speculating on the value going up.

I wish you'd asked more questions beforehand. :\

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Wasnt the amd cards supposed to be better for mining. I guess they got put up in price tho

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Naim Muso Qb x 2
Mu-so Qb

Multi room set up with the Brennan b2 I got a few weeks ago. Went to a demo showroom in Dubai and was blown away by the sound quality from such a small unit. Loved it sound and functionality.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I wish you'd asked more questions beforehand. :\
OK. This is the thought process. Convoluted tho so bear with :)

Me and a mate are geeks. I put him onto crypto a few years back and he's made (and is still making) a fair whack from mining. He's been on at me for ages and at this point in time I had a spend-it or get-taxed-lots-on-it 6k in the company bank. (would have been looking at least 40% tax+ to take it out this year)

So I spent the 6k on mining equipment at an effective 40% knock down.

For this I get at least a year of fun mining various crypto currencies (ethereum has been difficulty bombed recently whilst they prepare a patch for a couple of months time - zcash is easier atm).

At the end of 12 months I *should* be looking at break-even in crypto factoring in hardware and power. AND be sitting on hardware to say, 50% of it's value if I decide to eBay it. (which considering I just bought it at 40% advantage isn't bad).

IF in 12 months time it's all to shit then I'll flog what hardware I have and either convert the crypto into cash, bitcoin or hold onto it (depending). Hopefully with residual hardware value then worst case I'll not lose a massive amount (I'd have been taxed if I paid myself that cash anyway, right?) - so even if I lost a couple of grand (factoring in the tax loss I would definitely have made) it's no biggie.

If nothing changes at the end of 12 months I'm looking to be sat on equivalent crypto to the cash layout. Therefore I've already profited (6k crypto is a profit as that's actually 6k crypto + tax I didn't pay + residual hardware value).

However - all the above speculation is high risk - if the coins I mine go through the floor then I only have residual hardware value (and something to hold on to).

If, however, they boom then I'm quids in. Yes, I'm obviously hoping for this :)

At the end of 12 months I make a choice. Do I cash in some crypto to pay for expansion of mining, convert to a different crypto currency or pull out? Or a combination of the above?

Either way - with the residual hardware value and the real tax downside I don't see this as much of a risk at all tbh. I get to spend the next 12 months playing "learn crypto" and watching the markets and bamboozling my family who'll never understand it. I may make/lose some/loads/none. I can afford total loss - but actually purchasing hardware (with the tax benefit) protects me against that. Chances are that it *won't* be a total loss anyway.

Plus - free heating for the whole house. Gas bill for the winter is gonna be tiny :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom