Nerdy awesome shit we want

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Looking at some smart home devices for use in our UK house. One of the mortgage stipulations is that if the house is empty for longer than 3 months you must shut off the water.

Smarthome SELECT Electronic Water Shutoff Valve, 3/4-inch, 12V DC

Also looking at some remote control of the heating system which we are looking to upgrade anyway. Currently some rather large Economy 7 electric radiators in place and they are shite. So looking at new electric heating system with remote switching and settings as well, something like below but UK versions.

https://www.amazon.com/Insteon-Smar...qid=1473072313&sr=1-3&keywords=insteon+camera
https://www.amazon.com/INSTEON-Star...e=UTF8&qid=1473072192&sr=1-3&keywords=insteon

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
and is still waaaay behind the times.

The key thing for me is it could have been a proper '4k media hub' as YouTube 4k and Netflix 4k are coming to the PS4 Pro.

Unfortunately, no UHD blu-ray player - that to me is a fail. I was hoping that I wouldn't have to invest in a standalone 4k player, but it looks like I will have to. I appreciate that physical media is limited, but 4k streaming is still low bit-rate and dithering is apparent (at least, to my eye).

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
In which case you might as well just get a "smart" 4k Blu-ray player.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
4k player with no 4k disk playback. Genius idea. I didn't even know that before I wrote it off as crap.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
4k player with no 4k disk playback. Genius idea. I didn't even know that before I wrote it off as crap.

It really is a horrendous fail, although I suspect it'll have something to do with Sony launching a 4K streaming service on it (unless it's already announced).

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Donno about you guys but i havent bought a movie on disk for years. Streaming is the way forward.

Doesnt bother me that it doesnt have 4k disk drive.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
4k streaming is currently not up to scratch, getting there but not good enough. Also, a fair amount of people still have crappy internets.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
4k streaming is currently not up to scratch, getting there but not good enough. Also, a fair amount of people still have crappy internets.
I dont have a 4k tv so im not bothered. And by the time i do have it will be sorted.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I had no intention of getting involved with 4k but I got this 32" 4k monitor for desktop real-estate reasons and 16:9 4k content (I've only watched a couple of seasons of TV shows I'd downloaded in 4k so far so haven't tried any 2.35:1 4k fillums) looks so goddamn crisp and generally amazing compared to 1080p.

Streaming still wouldn't interest me if I had great internet, I like hoarding all of my media locally.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Much like the broken record the "master race" keeps playing :)
Sony fail tbh.

VR at 60fps so everyone can throw up?

I wonder if Sony are just deliberately attempting to kill VR off until their hardware catches up. If most people's experience of VR turns out to be on the PS4 and it's as shit as my VR AAA-game-developing Sony-Partner m8 says then it's a distinct possibility.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
I had no intention of getting involved with 4k but I got this 32" 4k monitor for desktop real-estate reasons and 16:9 4k content (I've only watched a couple of seasons of TV shows I'd downloaded in 4k so far so haven't tried any 2.35:1 4k fillums) looks so goddamn crisp and generally amazing compared to 1080p.

Streaming still wouldn't interest me if I had great internet, I like hoarding all of my media locally.
Downloading is also good. But i dont go out buying physical media any more. Storage of it annoys me

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Sony fail tbh.

VR at 60fps so everyone can throw up?
I genuinely hate to say this but my initial preconceptions were bob-on.

Six of us this weekend hit a Star Wars demo on the PS4 and five of us quit within ten or fifteen minutes.

The experience is interesting and potential is huge.

But: Potential...

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
not too sure spinning disks will be a thing in the coming future, not unless they give them away for free with every 32TB SSD you buy in 2020

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I like the look of the larger Galaxy Book from Samsung.

Pricing not known yet.

fettoken

I am a FH squatter

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Nah. Would need a firearms license which I dont want atm. With a spring air rifle my only future expense is pellets which are £12 for 500 and I can store and carry the rifle (covered) without hassle. Public liability insurance is cheap too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom