My first SI impressions

R

Ragnarok1978

(Feel free to move this if you feel it belongs better in another forum)

Well I fell in, was at the local PC store today and right there on the shelf, US SI expansion was standing. I just couldn't help myself so I bought it :rolleyes:

Reactivated the old US account, downloaded 60 MB worth of patches. Installed and activated Si, followed by another 20 MB download, and then I was ready to get going.

I knew what I wanted to make, a kobold savage. First I logged on to palomides, and my 1 year old chars were still there. Managed to scrape together 30g and had an old friend help me transfer it to my little blue guy in the SI area.

So I had my first hours of SI, and I thought I'd share how it was to me:

Graphics: Way smoother running than on the old client, however I don't find it to be all that much better graphics wise. The water is allmost too pretty to fit the world, but the general animations of chars as well as monsters has take quite a bump for the better. Spells look nicer, again it's nothing mindblowing but it is an upgrade. The new race, Valkryn or whatever, are rather funny to look at, especially the male who runs like a hobgoblin, was laughing out loud when i first spotted one running past me.

Given I didn't make it higher than 5, I have yet to see very much of the world. I did experiment with settings and I really like the choices you have of UI now, but most of all I really like the way you can tweak your settings while playing, not having to log out and do them, only to log back in to find out that didn't really help much at all.

I've run past alot of BDs, and I gotta say those pets are really awesome looking, and it seems to be a pretty strong class, at least for PvE from what I could see. Savage is the most fun char I have yet to play, given I have only been a svage for 5 bubs of exp, it is still alot of fun. The "boxing" kinda fighting animations look way cool, especially on a kobold, and eventho yellows can be hard a times he has absolutely no problems mowing thru hordes of blue cons before needing to rest. The few spells I already have are actually nice. A fight you could go and loose when caught offgouard is easily turned by sacrificing some health on a haste and finishing off the mob that would otherwise have killed you.

Light effects and shadows seem to work ok, as I already said the water is very beautifull (like quicksilver really) generally all structures and landscape look less rough and the game ran very smooth on my machine (Given it is a p4 2.53 with a gf4 ti4600 tho).

So far I am very impressed with SI, there are alot of things I have to get used to, but I will most likely be toying with it up untill the time we are about to get SI in europe. Everything is so new to me there now, so I would be jumping to conclusions by saying there is a TON to look forward to in SI, so I won't go that far just yet. But I do think there will be something to look forward to for everyone around the 20-25th of february if GOA can keep their timeschedule :)

If you have a question you're dying to ask, or wanna request a screenshot of something, feel free to reply or toss me a PM, I'll try my best to answer.

O

old.job

Do the shadows move as the sun rises,
did you have all effects on, shadows, full water etc,
does the sky go red as sun sets?

How do you get to the new zones?

N

noob_pride

Can I borrow your account and check it out for myself? heh jk

S

SFXman

Ehheheee.... will have to upgrade my 1ghz tbird and gf2 then... damnit... or then play SI with the old client.

O

old.Krusha

Originally posted by SFXman
Ehheheee.... will have to upgrade my 1ghz tbird and gf2 then... damnit... or then play SI with the old client.

tou cant.,.. can only see the new classes with the old engine.. but to play the nerw classes and be able to enter the new zones you need the expansion

R

Ragnarok1978

Originally posted by old.job

I haven't stood still to see if shadows moved yet. I believe they did on buildings but as for players and mobs I will look into that after work :)

Yes I play with all efects on, longes distance and 1280x1024 resolution, no lag at any point yet, other than the usual enter/exit zone choppyness that I allways get.

As for the sky, I haven't payed that much attention, will grab a screenie from one and post it.

And noob, no you can't bowwo it, but maybe you can buy it once I return to EU around Euro-SI release, hehe ;)

G

Generic Poster

Have you noticed an improvement in framerates, specially in Emain with large zergs around? :D

S

SFXman

Originally posted by old.Krusha
tou cant.,.. can only see the new classes with the old engine.. but to play the nerw classes and be able to enter the new zones you need the expansion
No shit you need the expansion but they should have an option that if you buy the expansion you may play the expansion using the older engine.
So far the requirements seem outrageous looking at the graphics.

E

exc_hib_boo

Originally posted by old.job

Yes, the shadows move with the movement of the sun.

Theres a portal to the new areas, mid: nalliten, hib: connla, dunno about alb.

M

matax

No shit you need the expansion but they should have an option that if you buy the expansion you may play the expansion using the older engine.
So far the requirements seem outrageous looking at the graphics.

I understood from the various press releases/quotes etc etc on the subject that if you have the expansion, but not a geForce 4 video card, you will still be able to access all the new races/classes/areas, you simply will not have the new graphics engine ? So it won't look as purty, but you will still have access to the new things.

S

Sarnat

I thought you can play with the new engine but you just don't see all the pretty things (like the water) if your 3D card is poo. Your frame rate etc will improve no matter what.

Maybe I got it wrong tho...

O

old.job

Don' forget you can adjust all the settings on the new engine, so those peeps with slower chip/gfx, can pull back the sliders and BINGO!!!! good framerates
(with a 6ft draw distance)

A

Affri

Originally posted by Sarnat
I thought you can play with the new engine but you just don't see all the pretty things (like the water) if your 3D card is poo. Your frame rate etc will improve no matter what.

Maybe I got it wrong tho...

Yep I have a 1.2ghz t-bird and gf2 gts. The water looks exactly the same no matter what settings I put on. Only gf4s and up support the reflective water it seems, oh well going to upgrade real soon anyway :)

S

Sigurd

lol, why did they bother making a new graphics engine if you need a geforce 4 to use it, how many people really have geforce 4s... well done again mythic.

A

Agreac

Originally posted by Affri

Yep I have a 1.2ghz t-bird and gf2 gts. The water looks exactly the same no matter what settings I put on. Only gf4s and up support the reflective water it seems, oh well going to upgrade real soon anyway :)

Not quite right. You need GF3 or better for reflective water. In other words fully DirectX 8.1 compatible GPU.

G

Garris-

Originally posted by the_chimera
lol, why did they bother making a new graphics engine if you need a geforce 4 to use it, how many people really have geforce 4s... well done again mythic.

Lots, actually. A Ti4600 is about £170, which aint half bad.. and thats going to _shoot_ down as soon as the GFFX comes out.

S

Sigurd

I'd rather not spend money on something that's going to be out of date in a few months though

O

old.job

This is soooo sweet, all those l33t dude 12 yr olds are gonna feel the pinch.

S

SFXman

Spoilt kids and people who work will have the required hardware :p
...or people who spend all the money they get on PCs and do nothing else.

Oh well... will just have to wait and see.

K

Keri

An answer to a question and a comment:

You can buy medallions to the new areas in each capital, as well as using the portals (that are probably a long way from the capital).

I'm managing to play SI on a machine that is way below minimum requirements ... a P3 501 with 256 MB and a geForce 2 MX400. Admittedly, I do not see the new effects, and have to relog frequently to get rid of the typical DAoC gfx bug, but it's playable enough for me to enjoy looking around HyBrasil, and my Sylvan Valewalker is now lvl 6. Gaheris is the best thing Mythic have done to the game, IMO, and being a co-operative server, people are quite happy to give away "unique drops" that their class can't use, because there are so many of these drops. The only thing missing from SI is decent maps ... but I'm sure someone will have them soon.

[edit] Oh yeah .. I'll be having a new system built in January.

S

SFXman

Originally posted by Keri
An answer to a question and a comment:

You can buy medallions to the new areas in each capital, as well as using the portals (that are probably a long way from the capital).

I'm managing to play SI on a machine that is way below minimum requirements ... a P3 501 with 256 MB and a geForce 2 MX400. Admittedly, I do not see the new effects, and have to relog frequently to get rid of the typical DAoC gfx bug, but it's playable enough for me to enjoy looking around HyBrasil, and my Sylvan Valewalker is now lvl 6. Gaheris is the best thing Mythic have done to the game, IMO, and being a co-operative server, people are quite happy to give away "unique drops" that their class can't use, because there are so many of these drops. The only thing missing from SI is decent maps ... but I'm sure someone will have them soon.

[edit] Oh yeah .. I'll be having a new system built in January.

Do you at least have like 10-15 fps?

B

blitzing

savage

hmm i have playd SI to as a savage i dont understand why you say the yellows can be hard at times, cause my kobie savage kills them like blues and can chain them cause as savage you hardly use end on styles, wich is nice, i can even take oranges with a little help from some health sacraficing skills. But savage will rock in RvR im sure

O

old.tRoG

fear my 2 month old PC :)

Intel Celeron CPU 2.00GHz
NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440

Much better than the old 500MHz Celeron and Voodoo3 :)

*Just loves to boast*

O

old.job

Nice one Trog, back to turning off the gas when you turn the bacon over, is it? :D

K

Keri

Do you at least have like 10-15 fps?

Dunno .. I'll check it sometime. TBH .. I'm not really bothered .. I can play it well enough to satisfy me, I'm having fun .. nothing else really matters.

/em goes searching for where she put that Fraps folder

O

old.job

Date Posted: 12/6 9:06am Subject: RE: SI engine -- is it just me?
1.6ghz AMD
256 Ram
Geforce 2 MX

No problem here, details and everything runs smoother now. Zoning takes alittle longer though.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/archonia/sshot006.jpg
nice pic of those water bubble things

Just found that on VB boards

also this

The lag associated with many players on the screen, however, has become much better. If you have your clip distance far, the new engine doesnt draw any armor textures..everyone is wearing plain ass brown..then as you get closer it fills in and draws the textures. Kinda funny looking really..when I first saw it I was thinking "damn...trolls with leather armor?" heh.

O

Olgark

Originally posted by the_chimera

Just bought a GeForce 4 today . It was rather simple to do as well, prices now range from £99.99 to £245 in PC World UK .
I am hoping it will help out my 1gHz Athalon some what with the frame rates in DAoC, and if not then I am ready for SI. So no biggie there.

S

SFXman

Hmm, how come I think that some people who have talked about their first SI experience their, "omg you need a gf4 and 2.5ghz cpu to play this", is not true o_O
I am starting to believe I can play the game just fine...
Originally posted by Olgark
Just bought a GeForce 4 today . It was rather simple to do as well, prices now range from £99.99 to £245 in PC World UK .
I am hoping it will help out my 1gHz Athalon some what with the frame rates in DAoC, and if not then I am ready for SI. So no biggie there.
Yup but your CPU isn't fast enough for the GF4 :)
Doesn't matter really that much since the difference is still noticeable but when I get my Radeon 9700 I will most likely get a new CPU soon after as well.

R

Ragnarok1978

Generally I think you can play SI on smaller machines at a decent framerate, at the expence of some graphics.

Under all circumstances the new graphics are better than the old, and with all the possibilities you will have to tweak the settings while IG, should make you able to adjust it to fit your system.

PS: Gotta love 10 keys in each bar, and autostacking :D

Users who are viewing this thread