My first impressions of SI

E

exc_hib_boo

So, I got my copy of SI yesterday and was astonished it worked right out-of-the-box. (My colleague had to install other video card rivers and reinstall directx)

Started with a necromancer in albion on gaheris (pve-server). First off, starting in the new zones is a breeze, there's like 8 guards that can give killtasks :)

Got my necro to 5 and specced full deathsight (like 95% of all necros, something must be wrong). Anyway, pulling yellow mobs with lifetaps and powertaps made me have full mana and life after a kill, very efficient if you ask me. Also necros who spec in this line has power transfer so they can give mana to other group members, quite valuable.

After that I just had to try out the savage!
Logged onto my regular mid-server Morgna le Fay and started a kobbie savage in Aegirhamn. Took a good while to get to 5 so I could spec hand-to-hand. Oh boy is this fella a blast, it looks like he's boxing when he's fighting. Even though untwinked he tore through yellows like paper, except on level 7, when the green con armor made it hurt a bit. All in all I have seen more of the new mid are than the alb, but I like mid better. Also made a valewalker-to-be in hib but only got him to 2. Hib was as always very colourful and nice, but I didnt see much of it.

The new engine then?
I got an amd 1200, 1gb RAM, and a GF3 64Mb. Running fraps I get 30-40 fps on the old client when Im just out fighting mobs, with the new one I got 15-20. And the only thing I recognized that was better was the water, that looks like quicksilver, it doesnt fit with the rest of the graphics. Maybe with a better computer and resolution there will be a bigger impact, and I have yet to try it out in rvr. The new engine also have some issues with targetting, but nothing noticeable on the lower levels.

All in all: Both savage and necromancer classes are very fun to play at lower levels, I'd pay for the expansion just to get the new zones and these two puppies!

S

SFXman

I got an amd 1200, 1gb RAM, and a GF3 64Mb. Running fraps I get 30-40 fps on the old client when Im just out fighting mobs, with the new one I got 15-20.
Fuck...

A

Alrindel

Hm, I have an Athlon 1800, 768MB of RAM and a GF3 128 - I thought I had nothing to worry about with SI, but I guess I'll have to wait and see...

S

saltymcpepper

gf4 ti 4200, amd 2400+ and 512 of ddr, reckon ill be ok?

S

Sigurd

If you can't play it with a GeForce 3 I'll sue mythic.

E

exc_hib_boo

After turning down LOD etc and turned off water effects I get a nice and steady 30 fps in exping situations, still 10-11 fps in Aegirhamn town though.

S

SFXman

Resolution you use could help.
Makes a big difference.

M

Meatballs

gets ready to order his radeon9700 or Geffer FX :)

E

exc_hib_boo

*doh*

Playing in 1024x768

uses new emote from 1.89 /ashamed

Edit: 6146 in 3dmark2001 latest build

O

old.job

Hmm doesn't look good thought game was sposed to be faster, then again you processor ain't that quick, and I would expect to have got myself 2+ghz and gf4 by then so fingers crosed

E

Esoteric

Well Im totally shafted then........ amd athlon 700 and a 64 mb g-card with 256 ram or is it 512... still only half a gig compared to uborz machine at the top. I am screwwweeeed.

A

Archeon

I think i figured it out, when they say there will be less lag what they actually mean is...

"There will be less lag, because the only people that can play it have really uber machines"

...damn, that would almost be funny if it didn't apply to me...

Fuck...

Fuckity, Fuck!

Fuckity, fucktiy fuck fuck!! ;)

S

SFXman

Fuck fuck fuck... goddamnit! 1024x768 and only 10-15 fps with that system !?! INSANE I TELL YOU!
I am fucked.

E

Esoteric

Can an official make some comments on this Im getting depressed very very fast.

Kemor...............................

O

old.Akirai

Its your GF3 thats the prob, just aint good enough to see those sweet sweet graphics like the sunrise, and the moon reflecting on the water etc....and even the trees. Man everything is so much better.

Overall i LOVE SI, theres so much more to it than youve seen so far. Get out and explore....check out the towns and the strange things that happen in them like big zergs of opposite faction mobs lining up in formation and having a mass battle etc, theres just too much to explain in one little post u gotta see it yourself

B

Blood

great, i thought it was supposed to make it run better for us that are lagging now :(

i was really waiting for some feed back on how it would run on "low end" machines, 800mhz, gf2 etc...

sounds like i wont be getting SI then.

O

old.chesnor

Don't you think its kinda wierd that what began as a "free new upgrade to the daoc engine that will reduce the lag in RvR" has turned into a "£19.99 upgrade to the daoc engine that will actually make the game run considerably slower than it ever did before".

Seems quite shocking really that not only do they release an expansion pack with system specs about 3x higher than its parent, but the promised upgrade to the engine for RvR is in fact nothing of the sort.

Y

Yussef

You can enable SI on your account and use the old client if you like, lets you use the new classes with the old client. Better than not buying it I suppose.

M

Meatballs

The graphics engine in SI is much more customizable, you can turn off shadows, water effects, some more stuff afaik.

What I really want to know is if the SI engine can be "adjusted" to work with EU version, and if GOA will have a poo at us if we do :)

O

old.Kram

If SI makes the game lag more, it will be completely unplayable :(

I

ImLestat

I read somewhere very recent, think it was in an interview with Sanya somewhere, that all those new effects like shining water and such was possible to turn off. It is quite possible that if you turn off those things you will end up with performance around the same as the old engine. Would be great if you could try it out and report back exc_hib_boo.

O

old.Akirai

It wont make u lag more, just you wont see the full effect of all the new graphics....you will see some neat changes, but some stuff like the water etc will look just the same.

B

Belsameth

Originally posted by exc_hib_boo
Edit: 6146 in 3dmark2001 latest build

Wee!
I get nearly 10k. I should be able to run it at a bearable 25fps at least :clap:

S

Sigurd

Originally posted by old.chesnor
Don't you think its kinda wierd that what began as a "free new upgrade to the daoc engine that will reduce the lag in RvR" has turned into a "£19.99 upgrade to the daoc engine that will actually make the game run considerably slower than it ever did before".

So the expansion will cost as much as the game?

O

old.job

Hmm I'm a bit suspicious cos early reviews from beta-testers raved on about improved framerates in RVR, one girl mentioned 100+ peeps, full effects on and perfectly smooth, and in those rvr videos I have downloaded the framerates look good, at the moment my gforce2 runs at slideshow speeds in rvr.

Gforce2 peeps are just going to have to turn down the settings I'm afraid.

TBH my comp drops below 10fps in Tirnog now, so 15-20 in RVR would be acceptable.
Don't forget TV is only 25fps!!!!

M

Meatballs

Yes in store it will probably cost the same as it did to buy DAoC, or maybe a bit less in total if you buy it say at same time as the original. I dont think you'll be needing to pay anything more monthly though, just carry on with existing daoc account.

M

Meatballs

Originally posted by old.job
Gforce2 peeps are just going to have to turn down the settings I'm afraid.

TBH my comp drops below 10fps in Tirnog now, so 15-20 in RVR would be acceptable.
Don't forget TV is only 25fps!!!!

TV is maybe ~25fps, but our monitors run at 60-125Hz, and are much more crisp with detail (being at a higher resolution).

Lower fps isn't too much of a problem in DAoC as it is in fps shooters where you have to be accurate where you are aiming etc, at 10-15fps you can see whats happening quite well, its just the problems when you turn around/zerg appears/hammers rain down ;) that cause you to lag for ~1-5 seconds that are the problem. Im currently get 30 fps running around emain normally, and then down to about 15fps when 2-3 groups appear on my geforce 1 atm :)

Users who are viewing this thread