First impressions of EVE

C

censi

Thought Id try the eve beta.

First impressions...

I really like it. I think the game has enough potential to merit swapping over to it from daoc.

I like the feeling of independence you have when you play the game. and also the feeling of space for you to go and do your thing in the furthest remost parts of the galaxy..

The active market system is superb and it really expands on the concepts of markets as we all know from Elite.

This game has real intelligence behind its basic concepts. Its more of a thinkers game than DAOC (wont be seeing any albs there then which is good). The gameplay is a lot less dynamic but ultimatly more rewarding.

Its being released on the 6th of May. Apart from a lot of bugs I think the game will do well.

Generally i dont think DAOC players will like this game to much.
I recomend you give the beta a try, there are accepting anyone and everyone at the moment.

B

baphomet

I'll be playing this when it goes live.
But I'll still be playing DAOC.

R

Roo Stercogburn

I've pre-ordered Eve to see what its like since I know some peeps doing the beta. I don't know if its really going to grab me, I may be wrong but hey, I won't know until I try for myself :)

Will still be running DAoC though :)

I'm definately getting my hands on Planetside when that goes live because I think I'll be able to play casually and still have fun - making a small commando style unit.

Fun summer of gaming ahead :)

A

Anu

I like this game & pre-ordered it 30 mins ago

K

kr0n

Played the beta a bit, was a lot of stuff not implemented or bugged then so I didnt get a good look at the stuff... But from what Ive heard from other players its gonna have a lot of nice features and "careers" you can take. Pirating, trading, mining, building etc etc.

L

lofff

too slow, too much waiting involved.. not for me

daoc was a big change aswell ;P used to say its too fecking slow, traveling in daoc takes too long and the game involves too much waiting.. omg daoc is uberfast compared to eve >.<

otherwise i agree it looks amazing, lots a stuff to do etc, but it just takes 1 life to do the tiniest thing..

F

Flimgoblin

Originally posted by kr0n
Played the beta a bit, was a lot of stuff not implemented or bugged then so I didnt get a good look at the stuff... But from what Ive heard from other players its gonna have a lot of nice features and "careers" you can take. Pirating, trading, mining, building etc etc.

From what I've heard from other players...

mining mining mining mining mining :)

might be they'll put in the other stuff in the same way mythic put in housing ;) i.e. 18 months after the fact.

J

Jiggs

anyone who says this game is all about mining has played it for like one evening.

E

Eblessair

I made around 700-800k in one day by mining, enough to buy the highest quality frigate(sp?) that the race I chose provides.(cost 570k)

That then left me with enough to equip it with some guns etc, and now im shooting down pirates :D

Yes, there IS alot of mining involved, but once you get enough for a decent ship, you can kill pirates for a living, as they drop nice items sometimes(or so im told)

The market, as censi said, is really nice. It makes it easy for you(if you want) to be a merchant, and live off trading stock between solar systems alone.

The people who play thus far have been nice and helpfull, as it will be in release(I hope).

Also, the devs, they work extremely hard to provide the highest quality support any gamer could want. An example: my ship got stuck in a station, I sent a petition(this games equivilant of an appeal), within 10mins, I had a real person talking to me.
They said it would require a GM to fix the problem instead of a helper.
Within 5mins, I had a GM talking to me, problem fixed, and away I went.

Also, downtime is high atm in beta, but when the servers are about to go down for unexpected downtime, they TELL you why, and for how long.

All in all, it has the potential to become one hell of a game, just imagine it.
Instead of trolls/luris fighting it out, you have massive cruisers/battle ships, lasers blaring, missiles flying, turrets fireing, shields falling.....it would be quite an eye opener to see that in action.

Another note, aparently(according to a dev chat) on the day of the end of beta, all skills will be maxed, and everything will cost 1ESK(ESK being this games currency).
So, if you didnt like it when you tryed out the beta for the first time, because of how much you had to mine, it will be worth coming back on the last day of beta(May the 4th I belive), as there will be _ALOT_ of action, where you have nothing to loose.

I know ill be saving up to get a copy of this game :)

M

moo_work

first day i got beta i mined for like 4 hrs and only made 30k ffs..

people keep saying theres more to do that mining, so where?

T

trigali

The learning curve is really high on entry, as well.

You get in there and you've no idea what to do, what guns to what, what type of ammo... plan on spending quite a few hours reading forums trying to figure things out. I haven't had the motivation.

The open chat is one hell of a spam box too. Type your question/answer/comment and there's a fair chance you will not even see it appear on the chat screen because it's already scrolled up, drowned in the other posts. Which of course means you will not be able to read the answer to your question, either.

Not for me, although the graphics are absolutely amazing and it ran smoothly when I tried it (no lag, fps problems etc., nice change)

A

Aule Valar

tryed it and was quite fun, trading is the way to go if you can find a nice trade route
too boring to pay for thought, bring on planetside and FL

C

censi

your right about the initial learning curve being massive.

but thats actually the same of most mmrpgs.

The most common misconception is that the game is all about mining. Most people just mine cuz its very easy but there are other gr8 ways to make money that require a lot more intelligence.

Money wont be a problem in this game. After playing for a week or so you will be about to make 900k a run with big crusiers and a few friends.

S

Sharp Thing

i played it 5 days, had a cruiser after 3days, it got boring ;/

S

SilverHood

think thats end of beta event where you can get a cruiser after 3 days

Seems like a real time sucker to me... played in beta since phase 6 (mining sim galore)

Had some game impairing bugs, mining not working, etc... tho the devs get patches out VERY fast.... imagine my surprise when the devs announced a new patch at 5AM in the morning.
You feel like the devs actually give a shit.

Has lots of potential... if you have the time to put in

give it a few months and it's sure to get a hell of a lot better

O

old.Glendower

There are many serious problems with this game.

It would be great as a stand-alone, with its awsome graphics, etc, but as a MMORPG it is going to have a lot of problems.

For one thing, greifers will power up and gank people constantly. You also see this with a-holes running all around putting in low buy orders to srew newbies out of their pennies they make mining...makes it hell to get even your first ship upgrades!

For another, you spend forever traveling to find things you need.

Finally, this game is making the same mistake DAoC did in putting upon the players too much responsibility for organizing events in the universe.

The interface needs work as well, particularly with combat as it is too drop-down oriented and no keystroke shortcuts for simple commands. You are often dead by the time you go through all the crap to try and fight back or run away.

Program wise, the game is buggy as an old mattress in a field, and they need to do themselves a favor and delay release by one or two months to get them sorted.

My advice is for nobody to buy this game for at least 3 months from release. Odds are if you do, you will regret it.

S

Spudgie

Loved all the Elites - so I'll see how it compares

P

Pin

got into beta.

got completely pissed off at the 25 second lag during the last week.

haven't played in a few days.

anyway.. the game does not have a steep learning curve, it just has shit documentation (mainly because it's still beta, still in flux, lots changing and being implemented imho).

But yes, so far the game has been quite slow-paced (which is not neccessarily a bad thing - at least I've had time to clean the house)

O

old.Tohtori

I'm here with Teh Seel, a miner from the Exion Nebula. So Seel, how do you spend your days?

"I like to sit in my cockpit, wait for those ESK to roll in while i watch the nebula turn and my tea to cool down a bit."

Doesn't it get boring?

"Well there's the bunny prigade that is always mining near my spot so i can always call them and have a little chitchat while i mine away."

But surely just sitting in one place, talking and mining isn't exiting?

"Believe it or not, it doesn't sound as boring if you ask the Uber Killerwatch 3000. He's been killing stuff non-stop! I mean, fighting, battles, explosions. No thank you, that's just a yawn-trip waiting to happen. A soothing sound of a mining laser is all i need."

Sounds lovely. So you don't desire the glorious battles that everyone else is aiming for?

"Oh not at all! Don't you know you can get hurt in that stuff. I wouldn't want to be that asteroid on the other side of my mining laser so why would i like to be the asteroid in some other carriers laserturret targetting retinal?"

Yes, perhaps everyone isn't cut out for fighting. Perhaps you're just a bit scared then?

"What?! I'm not scared! I like to call myself an entity with a high sense of self preservation."

In other words a coward who runs every time a fight is even remotely close by?

"I'll show you a coward who runs away...."

Excuse me?

"Oh nothing, i'm just switching my targetting system to a more profitable object."

Seel...it seems you've locked your mining lasers to my ship...

"Really? Let me fix that, was aiming at that asteroid."

Why is my meters giving out a reading of a high energy spi....

*transmission ended*

K

Killgorde

The game does have a lot of bugs at present which will not be resolved before release. To those who are enjoying it and can see the long-term potential this isn't a major issue - Eve as with any other MMOG starting from scratch (I hark back to the launch of DaoC) will take a few months to develop and for people to level to a degree where the first priority isn't earning as much cash/skills as they need to enjoy the less mundane things in life. The bugs that are around will be resolved while the dreaded isk (for that read exp) grind goes on. A fundamental difference at the start is that there's a lot of graphic variation with the scenery in DaoC to distract you. Eve is in space, and while the heavenly bodies and space stations are drop dead gorgeous to look at there is less variation in this respect to keep you amused if thats what you need to make a game enjoyable.

Sure, mining is dull and repetetive when you start out (although within a few days or less there are a lot of other options open to you). However, is DaoC any different initially? Did the critics who played the beta for a few hours log into DaoC on day 1, roll a char, beg 10 Isk for a medallion and port to Emain for a lifetime of non-stop action? I tend to think they spent the first few days actually learning their environment, making a few coppers/silver doing quests and mobs before they had any understanding of what they had bought into. With DaoC, assuming the average time to max 50 is around 15 days /played starting a new char on a new server from scratch (that may be conservative when a game is totally new to you without friends, knowledge of the game dynamics and organisation at the start), I make that 360 hours in-game thrashing npc mobs before your fun really starts. Hope this anology puts things into perspective for the short of attention span (if they are honest with themselves).

Where Eve does score heavily for me is in the levelling system and the flexibility it brings to your social life. Whichever skill you are training happens in real-time whether you are in-game or not. I for one am past the stage where I desire or need to spend 5 hours a night and more time on the weekends playing (summer is almost here, although its pissing down with rain at the moment). You can tailor your training to suit your lifestyle without (as with DaoC and the others) having to spend a guaranteed 360 hours or whatever actually in the game to max your char (although I dont think its possible to max a char in even half the skills given the diversity and the time it would take to do that). I can knock on a skill at level 4, give the game a miss for the specified time it takes to train and log back in 24hours or maybe 4 days later without losing anything except earnings potential.

There is also no "port to Emain for instant action" feature, which will put a lot of DaoC players off, and comparing DaoC to Eve in that respect is like comparing women - the bimbo to the thinking man's crumpet. It's the choice between a quick shag on the one hand and intellectual stimulation at a more relaxed pace where the end result is more rewarding on the other ;)

Just a thought - at least player built stations won't take two years from launch to become a reality. Similar to this, there are so many aspects to all areas far too numerous to mention that the devs at CCP have got right and Mythic took an age to deliver on - remember the 20 max cg's? The guild fund? Char loving/nerfing? On that last point why do we still see established characters in DaoC being adjusted a year after release? Is it some kind of subliminal tactic by Mythic to keep everyone interested?

O

old.Filip

It's the choice between a quick shag on the one hand and intellectual stimulation at a more relaxed pace where the end result is more rewarding on the other

on the other hand when the intellectual girl becomes a bitch you which for the bimbo to come back eh ?

O

old.Filip

hehe im quite happy about the way i take killgorde's nice and serious post and turn it into something completly different ...

muhhahahaha

/sry ;)

Filip

K

Killgorde

Originally posted by old.Filip
hehe im quite happy about the way i take killgorde's nice and serious post and turn it into something completly different ...

muhhahahaha

/sry ;)

Filip

Women don't "turn into" bitches - thats more a bad judgement call on your part way back at the early stage when your dick is doing the thinking for you, or caused by neglect and boredom by yourself later on ;)

Eve can be either a very giving lady or an absolute bitch to you...just depends whether you are attracted to her or not.

But I digress...

T

tris-

how long does it take to get emailed download instructions? been waiting for 3 days after doing the credit card thing and still hacvent got it.

P

Pin

Originally posted by n3wbie
how long does it take to get emailed download instructions? been waiting for 3 days after doing the credit card thing and still hacvent got it.

you get in beta faster than 3 days if you just register for beta on the website (not pre-ordered)

T

tris-

i registerd for beta, took 1 week to recieve invitation with credit card thingy and now im waiting on the download

instructions.first, make sure you meet the minimum system requirements listed at the end of this email
then, go here: http://www.eve-online.com/beta/profile.asp
enter your username: () and password (If you've forgotten them, see the link below.)
accept the Invitation
soon after you will receive a confirmation email (If you experience problems with the confirmation, see below.)
then, you'll receive a final email with download instructions (EVE is currently 400 MB)

thats the first email i got

O

old.LandShark

EVE, imho, while it has the potential to be soo much better than most other MMPORGS out atm, is going to be screwed immediately after release until they sort out a few key issues.
First, impossible to insure any ship other than the starter n00bie one. Literally impossible, not merely "too expensive for me personally to be bothered with" or anything.
Secondly, when you die you lose skills. Given that these skills often take 8days real-time (they continue training when you're offline) to train, you can easily end up with a month's worth of skills to be retrained. More advanced 'cloning' (think of binding, but you pay for it, and the more you pay the less exp you lose when you release...) is planned but not implemented.
Also it's buggy as hell atm. Sound engine is utterly unreliable, for example, and the server hardware/connection atm is poor, though I am unaware of what they have 'in reserve' for the live release.
I dunno, seems to me like they could produce a masterpiece with EVE but are rushing it out. Well, given it's been in dev for 3+ years, I guess it's hardly rushing... but with another month or two of beta-testing the game could be twice as balanced and enjoyable.

K

Killgorde

Extracts taken from the #EVE-Online DEV Chat Log recently

Re: Insurance and cloning:

<Pann> <ShadowLight> Question: When will advanced clones and advanced ship insurance be in place please be more specific then soon(tm)
<Campion> Basic ship insurance should be in now (ie., if your ship is destroyed, you will receive a portion of its base cost back)
<Campion> Advanced ship insurance is the next on the programmer's list after we ensure that research is in, so that will be implemented right after release
<Campion> Advanced clones are also close to being implemented, as the design team was working on some of it today.
<Campion> However, it won't be available at launch
<Campion> but that shouldn't be a problem as the base clone will cover all of the newbie skill loss and them some

Re: Lag issues:

<Campion> One thing about the lag: we have purposely shut down some server nodes and forced players onto other nodes in order to test the maximum number of players a single node (or group of nodes) can handle
<Campion> that's one of the reasons for the intermittent lag during the beta test
<Campion> and we've actually had upwards of 1000 players onto a single CPU. So it's quite an accomplishment
<Campion> Also, we run full log servers, which causes server overhead... those log servers won't be running at release

O

old.LandShark

Actually, the second paragraph there (assuming it's true, which I will because I'm fundamentally trusting) puts a lot of my fears to rest. As for the first question, well, frankly I think it's disgraceful to omit such an important thing at release time, but if they're fast enough and make enough noise about how fast they're going to put it in the game, they might just scrape through.

O

Olgark

After playing EVE for 2 weeks now I can say this game is a break from the norm and very enjoyable. The exp grind I found in all the online games so far have been boring to say the least. So what about mining in EVE well its simple watch TV, read a book, house work, whatever you want to do. Because during that time you are getting money in the game. The cargo hold fills up you warp back to the station to drop it off then warp back out again. I could make 15 to 20k ISK a trip and within a week and a half had enough to buy the top of the line frigate class ship for my race with the skills and weapons I wanted. I also made a few expensive mistakes as I did not read the small print.

EVE is a thinking mans game and not a twitch game like camelot, freelancer ect. If you dont like to sit down and think how to work things through then you will get bored quickly with the game. CCP has already tested space stations and ready to implement them within the first few months. Ships you can build yourself weapons you can upgrade via blueprints. This game is huge there are if I remember right 5600 systems to visit and each one is different. With space lanes already in place for future expansions, and so far to my knowledge a hidden race ( Jovians).

I have my copy on order and will be there on release, leaving camelot behind as I am tired of the game, nerfs and mythic.

For those that are heading to EVE and wish to contact me send a PM .

Users who are viewing this thread