MS Config --> Startup

Darthshearer

Can't get enough of FH
Lo Guys,

Just a quick one :eek6:

I have Windows XP, to stop certain startup items I run MSconfig -->Stratup and untick the stuff I dont want to run.

What I would like to know, is there a way of getting rid of the stuff I have unticked, to tidy it up?

Cheers :)

Custodian

Loyal Freddie
You need to run regedit and find the key microsoft\windows\currentversion\run, or rather the bit next to run that has the name of the apps you disabled, can't recall off me head if it is called run- or notrun or what... most annoying. Anyway, if you delete it from there it will be gone from msconfig.

Darthshearer

Can't get enough of FH
Ive looked on:-

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce

And They ALL dont contain the ones I have unticked :(

Custodian

Loyal Freddie
Run keys are the ones that would be still active.
RunOnce are the keys for stuff that will run on next startup only.

I believe there are other keys that contain the disabled items, and I would have expected them to be next to the ones you just listed. Maybe I am still thinking in Windows98 mode :(

I would look by just searching for thing. E.g. if I wanted to get rid of my AV (for some looney reason) and had disabled mcvsshld in msconfig I would then search the registry for mcvsshld, or mcvs, or mcafee, etc. till I found it.

Just looked in my msconfig screen and notice it tells me where the item is. Does it not do so for disabled items? (I aint got any to see)

gunner440

Hey Daddy Altman
some of the stuff you can find in services

right click my comp -> manage -> services and applications -> services

a lot of useless crap is on there by default so..

dont have a list on me but im sure there are various web sites telling you which ones you can get rid of

MrBlack

Fledgling Freddie
I think unticking them just moves them from Run to Run-

Google for PCForrest Startman. The original website is gone now but there's still some copies floating around. It's a freeware tool that gives you a checkable list of all the startup stuff, including obscure win.ini things. I find it invaluable, since I keep my system near spotless. Just the ATI control panel and Powerstrip are allowed to start. everything else is just cruft.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom