PC Master Race Storage - how would you configure...

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Just finishing over an epic copy from my old shit. Will be building the new PC tomorrow (fingers crossed it'll all just work. Was going to configure the storage this way - but I was wondering if I'm not seeing something a bit more weird/wonderful that I could consider (considering I won't bother changing it again for at least 5 more years)...

I've got:

1 x 1Tb nvme m.2 SSD
2 x 6Tb HDDs
2 x 2Tb HDDs (recycling out of old machine, got 2x 1Tb drives I'm gonna just format and hold on to)

I've also got an older 256Gb SSD.

I run plex but I don't mind losing my films really, got some music and photos that would be annoying if I did lose it and some work stuff. Was going to:

1 Tb nvme - O/S (win 10) and apps / games
2 x 6Tb HDDs - separate drives (could use a spanned volume? but don't really see the point?) for the movies / films / tv shows.
2 x 2Tb HDDs in a mirror so I've got 2Tb for music/photos/docs that get backed up (and synced to onedrive).

SSD. Erm... Spare for games maybe. :\

That seems reasonably sensible. CL for O/S | D: / E: - media | F: doc storage

Any upgrade on that?

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
I would organise some off site cloud storage for the photos and maybe the music if you really dont want to lose them.

Either that or a hdd that they are copied to and have it left in the drawer somewhere.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I would organise some off site cloud storage for the photos and maybe the music if you really dont want to lose them.

Either that or a hdd that they are copied to and have it left in the drawer somewhere.
Mirrored storage for the photos / music (photos also sync to onedrive, along with some documentation). If I can't recover the music in the case of a drive failure then there's always Piratebay (or spotify if I wasn't so damn cheap)...

What to do with a spare SSD eh? :)

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Well ssd is good for running games from with better read times and such. Cant think of anything else that would benefit from it unless you are doing much photoshop or stuff.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Just finishing over an epic copy from my old shit. Will be building the new PC tomorrow (fingers crossed it'll all just work. Was going to configure the storage this way - but I was wondering if I'm not seeing something a bit more weird/wonderful that I could consider (considering I won't bother changing it again for at least 5 more years)...

I've got:

1 x 1Tb nvme m.2 SSD
2 x 6Tb HDDs
2 x 2Tb HDDs (recycling out of old machine, got 2x 1Tb drives I'm gonna just format and hold on to)

I've also got an older 256Gb SSD.

I run plex but I don't mind losing my films really, got some music and photos that would be annoying if I did lose it and some work stuff. Was going to:

1 Tb nvme - O/S (win 10) and apps / games
2 x 6Tb HDDs - separate drives (could use a spanned volume? but don't really see the point?) for the movies / films / tv shows.
2 x 2Tb HDDs in a mirror so I've got 2Tb for music/photos/docs that get backed up (and synced to onedrive).

SSD. Erm... Spare for games maybe. :\

That seems reasonably sensible. CL for O/S | D: / E: - media | F: doc storage

Any upgrade on that?
Throw the SSD as scratch / temp storage to reduce the wear on the NVME. Plex transcodes for example.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Throw the SSD as scratch / temp storage to reduce the wear on the NVME. Plex transcodes for example.
Good idea Meg. I might just punt the entire plex install onto the SSD if it's possible (keep the whole database there etc).

Maybe I should wang the windows swapfile on there too (I've got 16Gb RAM so I can't see swapping occuring that often - though I'd be annoyed if I hobbled performance by not leaving it on the nvme).

Wouldn't mind using my old PC bits as an under-the-tv PC downstairs. You (or @ECA?) got any suggestions for a tiny yet ATX compatible case - can't find anything that'd fit on my shelves anywhere at the moment.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
I've got a 6 bay fractal as my NAS running Plex and an Nvidia shield under the TV so possibly not what you're looking for suggestion wise :)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Not heard of the Nvidia shield before. Interesting.

Nah, I just want to wang my old ATX MB in as small a case as I can find and run it downstairs. Can stream games via steam and everything else can run off 'doze. I like a keyboard and mouse anyway.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I've got a 6 bay fractal as my NAS running Plex and an Nvidia shield under the TV so possibly not what you're looking for suggestion wise :)

NVidia Shield worth the extra hundred quid over a cheapo Android box? I’m going to need another Kodi box soon and wondering if the Shield makes sense for us.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
NVidia Shield worth the extra hundred quid over a cheapo Android box? I’m going to need another Kodi box soon and wondering if the Shield makes sense for us.
As a Kodi box however it will work a treat, I really like the remote and it can be a Plex Server if you ever venture down that route. It gets regular updates from NVidia which is a plus. Native support for UK catch up TV apps however is shit compared to a Fire TV stick (just iPlayer and ITV Hub).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom