Rant Motorway drivers

- English -

Resident Freddy
Because the retards sitting in the middle lane doing 65 when there's no one in the inside lane cause the entire motorway to slow down. If you can't figure out which lane you're supposed to be in you shouldn't be on the road. It's hardly rocket science to keep left unless overtaking is it?

You're arguing totally something different to me, so i'll try spell it out for you.

What i'm saying is why bother cutting into the 1st lane, if i'm doing 70 in the middle lane and theres a convoy of lorries 30m behind each in that 1st lane, all because some law breaking tard wants to come past when the 3rd lane is free. They can fuck off if im moving in to get stuck for 5minutes unable to pull out. It would pose more of a risk if i was in, out, in, out all the time.

I am doing the speed limit, if they wish to get past me they can break the law, risk getting caught / blowing up and dying, i don't care. If the first lane is free for an adequate distance, sure, i pull in NP. I don't class this as lane hogging, i believe its sensible driving.

GimmlyThe3rd

Banned
The middle lane isn't the problem, if someones doing 70+ in the middle then fair play. You can't expect them to weave in and out of the first lane laden with lorries and people pulling out. Average speed is like 45mph and you slow down the middle lane by pulling out at low speed.

The problem is people not going fast enough or over taking in the 3rd lane .... when I pull on to the M25 or whatever I go right out and stay at about 80/90 until someone gets up my arse then I let them past. If i'm reserving fuel and doing 60-70 l i'll stay in the middle, if anyone has a problem with that, they can overtake because that's what it's there for.

Genedril

Part of the furniture
If you're not on the left most lane and you could be then you're doing it wrong.

If you don't know the Highway Code you shouldn't be on the bloody road.

- English -

Resident Freddy
If you're not on the left most lane and you could be then you're doing it wrong.

Well you need to define " and you could be ". Intheory if there is a space big enough for your car, you should be in that lane...

Genedril

Part of the furniture
Well you need to define " and you could be ". Intheory if there is a space big enough for your car, you should be in that lane...

As defined by the Highway Code. It does say 'safely' I believe.

Personally if I wont catch the next car in the lane I intend to return to within 20-30(ish) seconds then I would return to the lane I've just left.

- English -

Resident Freddy
As defined by the Highway Code. It does say 'safely' I believe.

Then my previous point stands correct as I believe it would not be safe to be constantly weaving in and out of the first lane every 20 metres.

gohan

FH is my second home

that's the attitude that gets people killed, no one is saying if the motoway is empty they would sit in the middle lan, i agree with english im not going into the left lane for like 20 secs till i reach a lorry i can see in the distance only to then have to pull out into the middle again

it's pointless and increases risk of accidents when lan changing

Genedril

Part of the furniture
It's dependant upon traffic speed. Distance is not the only consideration.

Genedril

Part of the furniture
that's the attitude that gets people killed, no one is saying if the motoway is empty they would sit in the middle lan, i agree with english im not going into the left lane for like 20 secs till i reach a lorry i can see in the distance only to then have to pull out into the middle again

it's pointless and increases risk of accidents when lan changing

It most certainly does not. If you cannot merge and change lanes correctly and safely then what are you doing on the motorway?

{edit} for clarification I'm not suggesting that you weave in and out of spaces that are 10 metres long. When you have completed your overtaking manouvere you should return to the left most lane as you would when overtaking on a single lane carriageway.

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
I always thought it would be easier to have different speeds for different lanes, with the left lane being anything under 70 then middle being 70-80 and the third lane for 80+ and also people should have a few forced motorway lessons after they pass their driving test. For alot of people they have no idea how to drive on the motorway as they they were never taught by their parents or mates.

- English -

Resident Freddy
I always thought it would be easier to have different speeds for different lanes, with the left lane being anything under 70 then middle being 70-80 and the third lane for 80+ and also people should have a few forced motorway lessons after they pass their driving test. For alot of people they have no idea how to drive on the motorway as they they were never taught by their parents or mates.

Well by the highwaycode the max speed is 70MPH, so in theory that speed should be adherred to by anything any no overtaking would be necessary (except HGV or cars pulling caravans etc which i believe is 60mph). However reality is very differernt ;p

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Well there would still be overtaking English, cars accelerate at different speeds, not everyone drives at the limit etc.

- English -

Resident Freddy
Well there would still be overtaking English, cars accelerate at different speeds, not everyone drives at the limit etc.

True, but was just trying to point out in a square world there shouldn't be a problem of lane hogging as everyone should be adherring to laws ;p

Tom

I am a FH squatter
The 70mph speed restriction is a stupid outdated law and people are right to ignore it.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
You're implying a temporary speed limit set 46 years ago when the average car could barely get to over 70mph is a stupid law tom?

I for one am shocked.

gohan

FH is my second home
rofl

I don't see why we don't take a leaf out of Germanys book and have unlimted speed on certains parts of the motoway, may not be viable on the M25 but on say the M3 which is almost always clear and free flowing 100 isn't even slightly dangerous.

specailly when u consider the brakes ect that cars have these days

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
The 70mph speed restriction is a stupid outdated law and people are right to ignore it.

Too right that a 70 mph speed limit, especially for the fast lane is just wrong today.

You're implying a temporary speed limit set 46 years ago when the average car could barely get to over 70mph is a stupid law tom?

I for one am shocked.

I hope you are being sarcastic :)

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
What would you guys suggest as an alternative then? Bearing in mind a lot of motorway drivers can barely cope driving safely at 70?

gohan

FH is my second home
What would you guys suggest as an alternative then? Bearing in mind a lot of motorway drivers can barely cope driving safely at 70?

banning everyone except me and letting me go as fast as i like, obviously!

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
there is a school of thought that says, the germans can drive at 10000 mph cos they are used to it
we are stuck at 70 (in theory)
so it would need to 75 for 6 months, then 80 for 6 months, if it was going to go up
going from 70 to 100 is asking for trouble

Access Denied

It was like that when I got here...
Here's a tidbit for you. If the police can overtake you doing more than 80 but less than 90 they generally won't bother with you. Situation based of course but it's the case when the motorway is clear and free-flowing.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I'd not want to put that to the test with police though - I was under the impression that their guidelines (note guidelines, before arguing) were 10% of the speed limit + 1 is considered an acceptable variance.

ECA

I am a FH squatter

Motorway driving as a seperate 2nd part of the driving test.
Ban lorries from 7am-8pm ( like germany )
Raise speed limit to 85.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I could see that being good. Sucks for delivery and haulage drivers though. I like Mabs suggestion of a gradual increase.

Maybe variable speed limits based on conditions and congestion?

Calo

Part of the furniture
just look at Germany, there they can drive as fast as they want perfectly on some roads, then again, those roads are in good shape and if you crash, well it's your own fault.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
The one thing I hate about motorways are the bloody speed limit changes. There you are trundling along at 70, then its 50 for no apparent reason....feels like you're doing 10 mph after 70...

I'm not a speed freak, I don't care if its 50, 60, or 70 - I just want one consistent speed limit

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I'd not want to put that to the test with police though - I was under the impression that their guidelines (note guidelines, before arguing) were 10% of the speed limit + 1 is considered an acceptable variance.

I've overtaken the Police doing 90 mph (according to my speedo) on the M3 quite regularly. I love all the other fuckers on the road that pull up behind the Police, clears the road for me to go straight past :)

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!

Try doing 22 over Tower Bridge :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom