Mage Ice Spec nerfed again

rynnor

Rockhound
The last patch has again hit the ice spec - the last few patches have gradually degraded its usefullness - seems Blizzard only want Fire/Arcane or Arcane/Fire mages.

I have decided to cancel now - the future seems poor for the mage class and wow in general - blizzard do not seem to be able to create a balance between classes in pvp.

The mage in particular suffers from the inflation of melee damage over time - melee weapon damage keeps increasing but mages are stuck with the same damage they started with.

One of the few remaining tactics for a mage is blinking in and spamming insta ae but this is crap for a supposedly ranged damage class :mad:

Afran

Part of the furniture
Whisperess said:
Can I have your stuff?

/Whisperess - Frost mage.
lol :p

As for the whine above: Frost mage's are great if played correctly from what I've seen.

Gat_Decor

Fledgling Freddie
rynnor said:
The mage in particular suffers from the inflation of melee damage over time - melee weapon damage keeps increasing but mages are stuck with the same damage they started with.

and yet they _STILL_ outdamage rogues, warriors, stop crying and get over it...

*mummy they've nerfed my spec again im going to quit cause i cant wtfpwn to the same extent that i used too*

Whisperess, good reply tbh

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
Nerf them some more ..... :p

Joke on the side ...... really you probably only have to adjust the way you play your character a little, if you dont have the will to try new things then I don't think this is the game for you :).

/Yoni

Yonisan lvl 60 Priest Bloodscalp
Syren lvl 43 Warlock Bloodscalp

Lakashnik

Fledgling Freddie
frost bolts for 660dmg.
2 of my mates dueled last night. warlock vs mage.
frostbolt vs shadowbolt nuke war. warlock has 4k hps unbuffed mage has about 3k unbuffed. just straight nuking. the mage won. surprised? i wasnt.
we messed about abit. mage ate a deviate delight thing and got rapid casting lol. he nuked me to death with frostbolts while i spamed shields and heals on myself. he still killed me in about 20seconds. when i hit oom from spamming. i know that doesnt show anything but tbh all these mages whining about frost nerfs are idiots. frost spec still does fine dmg. fire may do more but if they both did the same what would be the point of having dif specs. frost gets slows which is nice on melee.
mages whine all u want but in the end all i can say is nerf ur aoe u OP bastids. run around casting that jumping in and out of my LOS so i cant hit u with castable spells. for every mage whine about them being nerfed im gonna whine about them not being nerfed enough.

rynnor

Rockhound
Whisperess said:
Can I have your stuff?

/Whisperess - Frost mage.

How original - are you alive or just a spambot?

rynnor

Rockhound
Gat_Decor said:
and yet they _STILL_ outdamage rogues, warriors, stop crying and get over it...

*mummy they've nerfed my spec again im going to quit cause i cant wtfpwn to the same extent that i used too*

Whisperess, good reply tbh

You are displaying a massive lack of knowledge about mages - good going ;P

Frost spec is about control not damage - the damage spec arcane/fire or fire/arcane - those are still viable.

A warrior with arcanite reaper can pretty much outdamage anything in wow and he doesnt have to worry about mana...

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
rynnor said:
The last patch has again hit the ice spec - the last few patches have gradually degraded its usefullness - seems Blizzard only want
Fire/Arcane or Arcane/Fire mages.
Which nerf was this? Other than the poly bug all they did was fix a few bugs where certain spells wouldn't do damage on snare immune targets.

rynnor said:
Dare I say... Stop running in green eagle crap. Get some gear with +dmg on and you'll find your damage goes up noticably. My minimum frostbolt is 705 now.

rynnor

Rockhound
Yoni said:
really you probably only have to adjust the way you play your character a little, if you dont have the will to try new things then I don't think this is the game for you :).

Your not understanding my point - mages used to have a choice of different specs with different approaches but Blizzard have consistently nerfed the ice spec which means that all mages will end up as spammers of insta ae which is kinda dull.

I have tried about 6 different specs from classic Arcane/fire to deep fire or full ice so I know a bit about the capabilities of the class.

rynnor

Rockhound
Lakashnik said:
frost bolts for 660dmg.
2 of my mates dueled last night. warlock vs mage.
frostbolt vs shadowbolt nuke war. warlock has 4k hps unbuffed mage has about 3k unbuffed. just straight nuking. the mage won. surprised? i wasnt.

Wow a mage can out nuke a warlock - now thats surprising...

Lakashnik said:
but tbh all these mages whining about frost nerfs are idiots. frost spec still does fine dmg. fire may do more but if they both did the same what would be the point of having dif specs. frost gets slows which is nice on melee..

The point of frost was control through roots/snaring.

Ah yes slows - you mean I can live an extra 2 seconds before a melee kills me (if that ) ;P

Lakashnik said:
mages whine all u want but in the end all i can say is nerf ur aoe u OP bastids. run around casting that jumping in and out of my LOS so i cant hit u with castable spells. for every mage whine about them being nerfed im gonna whine about them not being nerfed enough.

See this bit truely makes you look like an idiot because if frost is crap everyone will go arcane/fire or fire/arcane so all mages will have insta AE rather than most at the moment.

stubbyrulz

Fledgling Freddie
well from a warriors point of view im glad they nerfed the ice spec its annoying been stuck standing still all the time then getting 2 hitted by fireballs :/

rynnor

Rockhound
stubbyrulz said:
well from a warriors point of view im glad they nerfed the ice spec its annoying been stuck standing still all the time then getting 2 hitted by fireballs :/

Thats not been changed ;) its just those who fancied going heavy ice spec who got hit - lots of odd new bugs/stealth changes this patch also for mages - rank 1 blizzard is getting ignored by high level mobs now - not resist just no effect which is a pain as we used to use it for its snare effects and chance to proc root.

Plus the more amusing tho pretty harmfull 'killer sheep' bug ;) if you poly same player twice they can attack whilst under 2nd poly so you can get killed by sheep lol - Blizzard really hate cc...

Lakashnik

Fledgling Freddie
rynnor said:
Wow a mage can out nuke a warlock - now thats surprising...The point of frost was control through roots/snaring.
Ah yes slows - you mean I can live an extra 2 seconds before a melee kills me (if that ) ;P
See this bit truely makes you look like an idiot because if frost is crap everyone will go arcane/fire or fire/arcane so all mages will have insta AE rather than most at the moment.

i think u missed my point. a warlocks most powerful nuke vs the mages so called wussy nuke as fire is so much more dmg apparently. and yet a warlock still gets eaton alive by this so called wussy nuke even tho having higher hps.

and if u quoting me saying that the aoe is to OP and that im gonna whine that ur not being nerfed enough yup i must be a idiot. ur whining about a nerf be it ice or fire i dont care tbh. nerf blinks cooldown timer. nerf ur almost insta aoe that can kill a whole grp pretty easily, while u run around.

and frost stil has roots and snaring no? not that u should need it. mages amount of CC comapred to any other class with the exception of rogues is ridiculous imo. they have slows. nova. polymorph. u can happily blink away every 15seconds or so for extra range.

u r the most powerful caster class for upfront dmg. and imo mages have the best amounts of defence.

warlock has fear which tbh is pretty much useless with all the trinkets/racials/class abilities than can get out of it or make u immune.
they can have curse of exhaustion if they spec into it which is rather nice.
seduction if they have their succbus pet out,
they have higher base hps but less armor anyway. not that armor makes to much difference between casters as its paperthin anyway.

hmm priest we have fear to... ok yeah its shit as mentioned above and on a 30 second timer. oo if we go shadow we can get mind flay. it slows and dmgs... abit... in a short range... and channelled.
spose we do get to shield and heal abit to... cos tahts just as effective as being able to get out of range and dmg them. but wait most melee classes do have interupts up close to use on casters so not really much chance of healing for a priest.

no matter wht bliz have done to ur frost spells u still have better dmg spells than other caster classes. u have a much higher chance to survive imo against the majority of other classes.

whine all u want, untill mages stuff is put on a longer cooldowns i have no sympathy whtsoever for u no matter wht spec or how u r getting nerfed.

and just so u know 1 of the best mages i have met on my server has been frost since the start he respecd fire for awhile to give more dmg in high lvl instances but since has respecd ice again because he prefers it so much. he hasnt said anything about the "nerf" of the patch hes still happy being ice and hes still kicking ass.

stubbyrulz

Fledgling Freddie
rynnor said:
Thats not been changed ;) its just those who fancied going heavy ice spec who got hit - lots of odd new bugs/stealth changes this patch also for mages - rank 1 blizzard is getting ignored by high level mobs now - not resist just no effect which is a pain as we used to use it for its snare effects and chance to proc root.

Plus the more amusing tho pretty harmfull 'killer sheep' bug ;) if you poly same player twice they can attack whilst under 2nd poly so you can get killed by sheep lol - Blizzard really hate cc...
they should keep the poly bug cos now instead of mages doing /point /laugh at us when where sheeped we can kill em :>

rynnor

Rockhound
stubbyrulz said:
they should keep the poly bug cos now instead of mages doing /point /laugh at us when where sheeped we can kill em :>

It does mean that if your rank 2 in pvp or above you can use the trinket to break the first then ignore any repeats tho which kinda kills the spell - personally I'd happily lose poly for pvp if they removed the other cc types like mind control (which only seems to create masses of exploits) or the rogues un-counterable cc.

Poly was pretty weak to begin with being the only form of cc with a dis-benefit - i.e. that your target regens hp at an accelerated rate...

Sycho

Can't get enough of FH
Frost mage is still good only thing is a good druid will just laugh at you, you need a lot of spell damage gear to make frost very good, at least a lot more than fire requires.

Get skyshroud leggings from ormokk in lbrs, crimson felt hat from magister in stratholme baron side, briarwood reed trinket from ubrs rare spawn, shivery handwraps from ras frostwhisper in scholomance, rod of the ogre magi from dire maul tribute run and perhaps burial shawl from alexi barov in scholomance.

I am sure that will make your frostbolts do about 600-650 a go or so, mine are doing 608-643 with 140 damage or so.(my fire set has 279 damage, 3200 odd hp and 6k odd mana and it did serious damage)

If you look for spell damage items, start collecting them then you can switch armour pieces around until you are happy with your hp/mana which as much spell damage as possible.(i aim for 3k hp 6k mana for example.)

Ormorof

FH is my second home
rynnor said:
Blizzard really hate cc...

i think most people who arent dishing it out do :p

i still dont understand how its a nerf? all that was changed was putting the damage and effect on different resists?

for example now it can resist the effect but (possibly) not the damage? surely that a good thing o_O

and seeing as the CC seems to all do damage anyway i would rather have some damage and no CC hitting than no damage AND no CC :p

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
You're gimped to hell Sycho. :(

stubbyrulz said:
Ice specs don't fireball people. You were facing a fire mage if that happened. :p

Sycho

Can't get enough of FH
Danya said:
You're gimped to hell Sycho. :(

Ice specs don't fireball people. You were facing a fire mage if that happened. :p

Only because i just respecced(need to do more mc/bwl raids if i can be bothered :eek: )

My fire set critted 2200 or so on fireballs with ignite. xD (without ap and talisman)

Whisperess

Can't get enough of FH
Sycho said:
Frost mage is still good only thing is a good druid will just laugh at you, you need a lot of spell damage gear to make frost very good, at least a lot more than fire requires.

Get skyshroud leggings from ormokk in lbrs, crimson felt hat from magister in stratholme baron side, briarwood reed trinket from ubrs rare spawn, shivery handwraps from ras frostwhisper in scholomance, rod of the ogre magi from dire maul tribute run and perhaps burial shawl from alexi barov in scholomance.

I am sure that will make your frostbolts do about 600-650 a go or so, mine are doing 608-643 with 140 damage or so.(my fire set has 279 damage, 3200 odd hp and 6k odd mana and it did serious damage)

If you look for spell damage items, start collecting them then you can switch armour pieces around until you are happy with your hp/mana which as much spell damage as possible.(i aim for 3k hp 6k mana for example.)
Agreed.

Also, that felt hat looks so cool on my gnome!

Anyway, I'm not a spambot, I just think you're (the OP):

1. A whiner
2. Badly equipped
3. Badly specced
or
4. All of the above.

If you think this patch was a nerf you really must learn how to play/equip a frost mage ;/

Ormorof: what was changed (among other minor things) was that several more spells now face diminishing returns on their chills (if they weren't already - never noticed, never cared). Big fooking deal. They are supposed to! Imo fire spec took a bigger hit with ignite being dispellable, and even that's not much of a problem.

Anyway, I'm still waiting for that package.

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Sycho said:
Only because i just respecced(need to do more mc/bwl raids if i can be bothered :eek: )

My fire set critted 2200 or so on fireballs with ignite. xD (without ap and talisman)
Hit 1118 non-crit on frostbolt before, so QQ! ;p

Sycho

Can't get enough of FH
Danya said:
Hit 1118 non-crit on frostbolt before, so QQ! ;p

With talisman.

I've done 3400 pyroblast. ;p

Anyway, frost=if you hate rogues and want to kill melee or fire= if you hate priest/druids, which i rarely see solo.I am on a pvp server so frost is really good as you get lots of shit grieving rogues, i soloed 2 lv60 rogues as frost, doubt i could as fire no matter how good i play.(if i make one mistake as fire spec vs 2 rogues it's gameover due to poor defence)

Iceblock is probably the best talent a mage has.

rynnor

Rockhound
Whisperess said:
Anyway, I'm not a spambot, I just think you're (the OP):

1. A whiner
2. Badly equipped
3. Badly specced
or
4. All of the above.

If you think this patch was a nerf you really must learn how to play/equip a frost mage ;/

Its the direction that the games going in thats making me jump now - the frost spec is not useless neither did I at any point say so but I find it irritating to play a class that only ever gets prodded with the nerf bat even if most of the nerfs have'nt been so bad yet.

Good luck to you with frost spec but I keep seeing disturbing paralells with Daoc where casters were initially pretty strong (dont mention godlike stealthers ;P) but gradually got nerfed by changes to resists, addition of numerous resist items, spellcrafting etc. etc. then got buffed by the addition of ToA - the whole cycle took a couple of years.

Blizzard are moving down the path mythic took and I cant be arsed with that again...

Ormorof

FH is my second home
rynnor said:
Its the direction that the games going in thats making me jump now - the frost spec is not useless neither did I at any point say so but I find it irritating to play a class that only ever gets prodded with the nerf bat even if most of the nerfs have'nt been so bad yet.

Good luck to you with frost spec but I keep seeing disturbing paralells with Daoc where casters were initially pretty strong (dont mention godlike stealthers ;P) but gradually got nerfed by changes to resists, addition of numerous resist items, spellcrafting etc. etc. then got buffed by the addition of ToA - the whole cycle took a couple of years.

Blizzard are moving down the path mythic took and I cant be arsed with that again...

blizzard have only made small changes so far? yet you compare them to mythic who didnt just prod with the nerfbat, they went for a home run!

and tbh what do you expect? that a powerfull class should get made more powerful? they try to balance things out you know :p

edit: and yeah i tried rogue on test server too and wow the damage was insane (and seemed alot simpler than most classes ive tried :p ), probably next in line for a "prod" with the nerfbat ;)

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Sycho said:
With talisman.
AV buff TBH. :p

Mages don't really need a nerf TBH, if anything we need somewhat of a boost cos melees are gaining damage faster than mages in the main. As for mage being simple, not if you want to live in pvp. :p

Z^^

Can't get enough of FH
ofc mages have gotten alot of small nerf sence release...
trinket
druid can morph...
and other small changes i can't remember atm..
ignite fix was uber tho

Gat_Decor

Fledgling Freddie
Ormorof said:
and yeah i tried rogue on test server too and wow the damage was insane (and seemed alot simpler than most classes ive tried :p ), probably next in line for a "prod" with the nerfbat ;)

why do you think that its one of the most if not the most played character, its what all the spotty ex cnut0rstrike kiddies roll.

rynnor

Rockhound
Gat_Decor said:
why do you think that its one of the most if not the most played character, its what all the spotty ex cnut0rstrike kiddies roll.

Rogues will un-doubtably get nerfed in the not too distant future and I think it will probably be a fairly big nerf that makes em leave in droves - the changes to the warrior shout are just a foretaste of things to come...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom