Lord of the Rings

Are you going to play LOTR:O

• Yes

Votes: 55 55.0%
  • No

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • I'm an awkward Hobbit who cannot decide...

Votes: 19 19.0%

• Total voters

LordjOX

Part of the furniture
I picked up this game a few days ago very cheap.
And so far it's been a blast. I don't know why I didn't try this earlier. :)

Faeldawn

Fledgling Freddie
LOTRO has improved immensely over the last year, it's arguably the best mmo around right now. Great community, huge content, regular updates, awesome graphics, excellent in-game support and it's first major expansion on the way.

Even the pvmp is really fun now and better than many other mmo pvp systems.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
only problem i have with LOTRO is that the loremaster pets are so fucking useless. i mean, they're not even good as a damage add! trying to have the bear tank anything that even smells of XP is just asking to die.

and before anyone says anything, that bear DO have a taunt! its there to be used is it not? but 3 hits from an even level (to me, not the bear thats ~4 lvl's below me) kills it.

hell, even the crow is useless against archers because those mobs just run up and melee you instead, and that hurts EVEN MORE!

rynnor

Rockhound
hell, even the crow is useless against archers because those mobs just run up and melee you instead, and that hurts EVEN MORE!

Well actually I found the crow to be extremely usefull - you can use the crow to debuff archers - archer starts walking towards you - hit him with snareing dd - then cast dd's till he's close - stun then move back re-apply snare - then dd's again - rinse repeat - you can kill practically anything like this - easy soloing the group only mobs.

The LM is extremely overpowered against a mob or pair but random adds really mess him up - fun tho :p

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
LOTRO has improved immensely over the last year, it's arguably the best mmo around right now. Great community, huge content, regular updates, awesome graphics, excellent in-game support and it's first major expansion on the way.

Even the pvmp is really fun now and better than many other mmo pvp systems.

So did you finally find THE GAME?

For how long?

(I liked LotRO, but didn't want to play it, looked like a good game to me though, PvMP was funny.)

Faeldawn

Fledgling Freddie

For how long?

(I liked LotRO, but didn't want to play it, looked like a good game to me though, PvMP was funny.)

In all honesty I was not overly impressed with the game during beta and release, it was ok, but nothing special. Some friends started playing after we gave up on DAoC and I decided to give it another go and was very surprised and impressed with how the game has progressed over the last year. It really has matured well and is a lot of fun.

It's just a stop-gap for me, Warhammer being the game I have been waiting for (for all my activity playing devils advocate on the AoC forums, I never actually bought the game in the end). However, if Warhammer doesn't pan out as I hope, I'll happily go back to LOTRO :)

Ctuchik

FH is my second home

For how long?

PvMP was great when i played :)

tho the monster players couldnt stand up to a normally leveled toon 1v1. they always had to gank to have a chance. and still do i reckon.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Well actually I found the crow to be extremely usefull - you can use the crow to debuff archers - archer starts walking towards you - hit him with snareing dd - then cast dd's till he's close - stun then move back re-apply snare - then dd's again - rinse repeat - you can kill practically anything like this - easy soloing the group only mobs.

The LM is extremely overpowered against a mob or pair but random adds really mess him up - fun tho :p

lol, LM's overpowered in 1v1 pve? o_O if the mob resist even one of the snares/stuns your done for.

any other class more or less just have to tank and spank. if theres any class thats overpowered in solo pve its the minstrel.

and just because LM's CAN kill group mobs doesent mean its a good idea. the time it takes you to kill that one group mob and the XP it gives takes alot longer then just killing a ton of normal mobs at the same timeframe.

rynnor

Rockhound
lol, LM's overpowered in 1v1 pve? o_O if the mob resist even one of the snares/stuns your done for.

Depends how well your kiting them - I've never had a problem killing one mob just with multi adds.

any other class more or less just have to tank and spank. if theres any class thats overpowered in solo pve its the minstrel..

I have a minstrel in full epic and it is very survivable - have killed the level 51 super mobs that used to drop body parts for crafting many many times solo but by god its slow but theres one dragon boss mob a minstrel could never really solo that LMs can do without even using potions :p

This is done using blinding flash - do a bunch of damage then flash - backup rinse repeat till dead - evil :)

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
I would like to know what they have in the game that gives me motion sickness, tried it on 4 comps different setups now, think its wierd since i've had no problem with any other game.

Faeldawn

Fledgling Freddie
I would like to know what they have in the game that gives me motion sickness, tried it on 4 comps different setups now, think its wierd since i've had no problem with any other game.

Never heard anyone else complain about this, perhaps it's not so much the game, but it's more to do with you?

Imgormiel

Part of the furniture
Been playing on US servers the past few weeks. It's had issues since book 14 was introduced but it's fine now.

Just got my hunter to level 50 (Elendlimir US), managed to do it in sorta quick time if you can say that for solo - about 2-3 weeks daoc full hardcore play. Not as easy as DAOC, xp rate hmm that's odd the way it goes down for lesser mobs + level and the standard is always 300 for each mob so grinding, well can be an option if ya want to do traits while levelling.

Will start to pvmp soon. But from what I've seen of this forum, I am rather glad I didn't play the kiddie game known as WoW. Also glad to have left DAoC as this game is far better now.

Ctuchik err loremaster is fine and the game does not have a final opinion on how good or bad it is/was based on your experience of a caster in Lotro and what you think of it - There are other classes. I tryed LM, it roxx and so do the other toons if you can actually 'play' a game. Worst of em I found was a champ, was kinda weak but didn't get past 30 on her, but I am told champ + minstrel = near invincible! My opinion is that more of the ilk that Guardian + mincer = teh pwn.

Overall opinion - Well worth playing, and after being on WAR beta, I am staying on Lotro for the foreseeable future. Those of you wanting to try something different, this is the game. But I wouldn't go rushing off to US servers unless you can afford the phone bill to calling the US and hanging on for ages for turbine support to answer the phone so you can activate your account. The agreement with the European servers is binding and you can't just simply activate from their website because of that restrictive agreement.

Enjoy.

Faeldawn

Fledgling Freddie
Ctuchik err loremaster is fine and the game does not have a final opinion on how good or bad it is/was based on your experience of a caster in Lotro and what you think of it - There are other classes. I tryed LM, it roxx and so do the other toons if you can actually 'play' a game. Worst of em I found was a champ, was kinda weak but didn't get past 30 on her, but I am told champ + minstrel = near invincible! My opinion is that more of the ilk that Guardian + mincer = teh pwn.

Thing about LOTRO is that there are no pure casters, in the lore wizards are rare and a LM is not really a mage, he's primarily a CC class with some great additional tools.

Champs are the top damage dealers in the game, at high level they spit out incredible DPS and fast. Hunters come close, but only at range.

Guardians are great tanks, but they cant dish the damage like a Champ. Similarly, a champ cannot tank like a Guardian, they can tank if they are needed too, but it's not what they are best at.

The great thing is there are no weak classes, they all have their unique skills and they all bring something to a group. Also, all classes are strong enough to solo, they do it in very different manners, but they can all solo well.

Any duo is awesome, any trio, 4-man etc, it simply doesn't matter about class mix if you can play the class well enough. Only the top instances and top bosses require a few standard classes (Mincer, Guardian, LM), but if you put your mind to it, it can be done with all kinds of class mixes.

LordjOX

Part of the furniture
The Minstrel is really nice. It's primary a healing class but to play it proper you need to play songs (ballads) on monsters to get additional fellowship benefits.

And yeah, only true casters in LOTR (Wizards- Istari) is Gandalf, Radagast the Brown, Sarumann and two others. Loremasters are scholars of great skill that mix potions and use other knowledge to their advantage. But all-in-all they seem very caster like with "fireballs" etc, which basically is a basic explosive device that they ignite and throw.

If you really like LOTR this is definitely a game to try out, the Epic main story is so fitting around the books filling the "gaps" of the story without overwriting too much of LOTR lore.

Imgormiel

Part of the furniture
Thing about LOTRO is that there are no pure casters, in the lore wizards are rare and a LM is not really a mage, he's primarily a CC class with some great additional tools.

Champs are the top damage dealers in the game, at high level they spit out incredible DPS and fast. Hunters come close, but only at range.

Guardians are great tanks, but they cant dish the damage like a Champ. Similarly, a champ cannot tank like a Guardian, they can tank if they are needed too, but it's not what they are best at.

The great thing is there are no weak classes, they all have their unique skills and they all bring something to a group. Also, all classes are strong enough to solo, they do it in very different manners, but they can all solo well.

Any duo is awesome, any trio, 4-man etc, it simply doesn't matter about class mix if you can play the class well enough. Only the top instances and top bosses require a few standard classes (Mincer, Guardian, LM), but if you put your mind to it, it can be done with all kinds of class mixes.

I prefer guardian vs champ due to the fact I like to tank 3 mobs at once and being able to take the dmg. Hunter/loremaster eerrrr well after some levels can do but it's a painful process that doesn't always come off when solo - and being a hunter, expect to solo, lots. Bad to see the old attitude towards a useful class being carried over from old games. I guess it's the same for pvmp with regards to Ettenmoors. I expect it is :( But nvm, it's what you enjoy from the game that counts.

Nice posts since I made mine - still no section of its own tho, suxx ^_^

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
heh. LOTRO hunters are tank wannabies hehe.

fucking stance they have that makes them get 15% extra aggro >.<

and EVERY fucking hunter seems to use it when grouped. pain in the neck for the tanks.

Faeldawn

Fledgling Freddie

and EVERY fucking hunter seems to use it when grouped. pain in the neck for the tanks.

Try playing a minstrel :)

Faeldawn

Fledgling Freddie
I prefer guardian vs champ due to the fact I like to tank 3 mobs at once and being able to take the dmg. Hunter/loremaster eerrrr well after some levels can do but it's a painful process that doesn't always come off when solo - and being a hunter, expect to solo, lots. Bad to see the old attitude towards a useful class being carried over from old games. I guess it's the same for pvmp with regards to Ettenmoors. I expect it is :( But nvm, it's what you enjoy from the game that counts.

Nice posts since I made mine - still no section of its own tho, suxx ^_^

Hunters get groups as easily as any other class in my experience. Sure there are classes which most groups prefer such as guardians and minstrels, but a Captain can replace a minstrel, a Burglar, Champ and even a hunter can all tank to some extent.

Most groups want a tank, a healer and in some situations a LM is preferred for CC, but the other 3-4 slots are almost always open to any other classes.

I have been in 6-man minstrel groups which kicked ass and a 5-man champ group that killed so fast and switched aggro round so well that we simply didnt need a healer :)

Plenty of variations work, unlike many other games where you NEED certain classes to succeed, in LOTRO such classes make it easier, but any set-up within reason can succeed, thats the beauty of it. Anyone who won't go without a minstrel or a guardian has either never tried without those classes, or has tried and only found muppet Champs to tank (seen Champs trying to tank with no shield and Fervour up instead of Glory...fookin noobs :)) or Captains who simply don't know how to heal or buff anyone other than themselves.

We played a Hunter, LM, Minstrel trio a lot and there was very little we couldn't do better than most random 4/5-man groups regardless of the set-up.

LordjOX

Part of the furniture

I was playing a minstrel in the Great Barrows yesterday, the hunter sure liked taking all of Samuel's(?) attacks. Wasn't easy keeping him alive. :)

It's nice that you can make a good instance group with just about anything that has a healer type in it.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
/slap

My hunter is an Elf! :p

and i bet you just love to jump out whenever you lose huh? :)

happened every fucking time my warg actually got the upper hand on a hunter 1v1. i got them down to 20 - 25% and *pop* he's gone....

made it my monster lifes mission to make hunters bail out xD

and then they refused to go back out until the cooldown was over >.<

fucking wimps the lot of em :)

Imgormiel

Part of the furniture
and i bet you just love to jump out whenever you lose huh? :)

happened every fucking time my warg actually got the upper hand on a hunter 1v1. i got them down to 20 - 25% and *pop* he's gone....

made it my monster lifes mission to make hunters bail out xD

and then they refused to go back out until the cooldown was over >.<

fucking wimps the lot of em :)

uhmm can't go pvp just yet, i lag so much :< dunno why, need to read up on it, really is the suck too >< My comp roxx but the game pvp aint so roxx cuz of gfx lag or whatever it is, not so sure yet ^_^

Imgormiel

Part of the furniture
Final conclusions :

Girly game for puffs imo, quite alot of players just seem like nQQb players to daoc players. Game really suxxor after a while and gets to the same ole same ole boring repetitive crap. Ettenlag >< nuff said. Primitive pvp, primitive pve. All players run like zerglings :( Need I go on? Subscription terminated.

QQ gifv daoc origins... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom