Lord of the Rings

Are you going to play LOTR:O

• Yes

Votes: 55 55.0%
  • No

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • I'm an awkward Hobbit who cannot decide...

Votes: 19 19.0%

• Total voters

Asuyi

Fledgling Freddie
Your screenshots are wonderful, it is a pity I can't play with high settings as my PC is not good, but the graphics I experienced were fairly good too. Rivendell is really amazing to see even with low settings ;)

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
You must have the settings fairly low then. No way this is poor:

http://www.knightsofpendragon.co.uk/screenshots/javai1.jpg

http://www.knightsofpendragon.co.uk/screenshots/meggie1.jpg

http://www.knightsofpendragon.co.uk/screenshots/meggie3.jpg

http://www.knightsofpendragon.co.uk/screenshots/meggie4.jpg

And those were just my Beta shots, some places are incredible to see. But I dont have Rivendell shots uploaded yet.

no, they certainly isnt poor. but in now way what so ever are the grafic "stunning" as alot of ppl want to think...

Tilda

ctuchik, those screenshots do not do the game justice, I will try to take some better ones tomorrow when hopefully my full game arrives allowing me to upgrade from my preorder cd key

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
someone posted this on the official boards, its Strider, at capped gfx settings

Asuyi

Fledgling Freddie
Well, the characters are not really that great, I mean the textures are good but from a distance the characters look crude and angular.

The enviroment is however better than in any other game I have seen, especially at some places.

Javai

Fledgling Freddie
no, they certainly isnt poor. but in now way what so ever are the grafic "stunning" as alot of ppl want to think...

They're pretty stunning for the genre. Of course not a patch on what you see in other genres like the fps.

It's a matter of personal taste but I find the graphics immersing and atmospheric unlike the bland but arguably more impressive graphics of Vanguard.

Sparda

Fledgling Freddie
gotta remember aswell that when taking keeps in the ettenmores, the game needs to be able to render 40 chars + at least

I think it looks damn fine tbh

Also if you played beta please instal fresh from the retail DvD, this second attachment shows the difference in quality from high to very high res packs

Attachments

• ScreenShot00018.jpg
    ScreenShot00018.jpg
    382.9 KB · Views: 38
  • lort.JPG
    lort.JPG
    133.6 KB · Views: 49

Faeldawn

Fledgling Freddie
Can't argue that it isn't a really nice looking game and really well put together. Problem in my mind is that it is quest-linear like EQ2 and WoW, it spoon-feeds the players and reminds me very much of a pretty Baldurs Gate mod. I am aware this is what the industry caters too nowadays since mmorpg's became mainsteam, but it is so disappointing to see every new release follow the WoW recipe.

Sorry, but this game will essentially never be anything other than another modern cookie-cutter mmorpg sitting comfortably in the WoW shadow.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
ctuchik, those screenshots do not do the game justice, I will try to take some better ones tomorrow when hopefully my full game arrives allowing me to upgrade from my preorder cd key

i know what the game looks like on a end game machine. i have a brother in law thats absolutly fanatic about the game. i cant even *think* a bad word about that game when he's around coz he'd kill me :(

and the grafics are still nice. just not "wow omg".....

Basic_X

Fledgling Freddie
Meh, bought this game today from my local nerdshop. but im not getting any confirmation emails. anyone else had problems with hotmail on this? (i wanna test it :()

Dreamor

Can't get enough of FH
Meh, bought this game today from my local nerdshop. but im not getting any confirmation emails. anyone else had problems with hotmail on this? (i wanna test it :()

what problem are you getting exactly? they send you code or you having problems activating the game via the COG website?

Xtro

One of Freddy's beloved
Ah well, cancelled my sub today, have about a week or so playing time left but can't say I will touch it again.

Tilda, hmm its hard to say why I found it retro (this isn't a particularly negative thing btw imho). I will say that for the first few days since I bought it, I went from feeling MEH to HATING it. I forced myself to level up a bit and give it a chance and my opinion vastly improved, just not to the point of making me want to keep paying to play.

There are some innovative little touches in there like the deeds and choosing what title can be displayed for example but the main thing I DID like was that you felt more like you were in a world as opposed to WoW where you definitely feel you are levelling in a boxed in zone. Sure LOTRO has zones but I loved the fact that you could see for miles and boundaries weren't so defined and clumsy as in other games.

This actually reminded me of Anarchy Online of all things - the fact that there is a world out there waiting to be explored and throw up all kinds of stuff at you.

I miss the more hardcore old school MMO's where you aren't spoonfed everything and there were genuine risks to your character if you wandered off the beaten track (other than a bit of rez sickness like in WoW).

As I stated earlier, I am not too keen on the graphics. That's my opinion, not a de facto "the GFX IN LOTRO ARE SHIIIITT!!111" (didn't really see the need for people to post screenies to insist the game looks great, I don't like the style - end of!).

I think if people want a pleasant enough stop-gap then this might be the game for them.

One thing before I stop spouting that I must mention - the player base. From what I saw LOTRO community >>>>> WoW. Everyone both on forums and ingame was incredibly helpful and polite. Didn't see any smacktalk in general chat or anything, made a nice change.

Jarakin

One of Freddy's beloved
One thing before I stop spouting that I must mention - the player base. From what I saw LOTRO community >>>>> WoW. Everyone both on forums and ingame was incredibly helpful and polite. Didn't see any smacktalk in general chat or anything, made a nice change.

Sounds good to me, i'm very bored of the WoW "community" or lack thereof, endless spam of "kek u r teh ninja lael nub" on general chat, I really crave the community from DAoC, especially pryd/hib... prydwen.net was the best :D

Tilda

Yep, its funny, you get some wow players asking stuff or saying stuff in general chat, they get batted back down quite quickly.

Aada

Part of the furniture
Yep, its funny, you get some wow players asking stuff or saying stuff in general chat, they get batted back down quite quickly.

Yep its always awsome when the fanbois of a game drop a billion ton bomb on anyone who mentions WoW even if they aren't saying LoTR sucks.

:rolleyes:

Talivar

Part of the furniture
Problem is tho aada in lotrs case 90% of the wow ppl ARE saying stupid things like ROFL wow pwns this game hahahahaha , ect ect all day long. So they deserve the 10 ton bomb, it would be like a chelsea fan walking into a packed pub in manchester and singing a song about man united losing the FA Cup ect. Cept ofc one is a virtual bomb and other would be real :p

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
well from what i have found is its a poor mans wow really, there are a few nice touches, i like the deeds system a lot but other than that there is nothing in it at all that WoW doesn't do better (i am by no means a wow fan boy :p)

I really wanted to like the game but i just get bored in it to quickly, i have not found a class that i actually enjoy playing.

rynnor

Rockhound
well from what i have found is its a poor mans wow really, there are a few nice touches, i like the deeds system a lot but other than that there is nothing in it at all that WoW doesn't do better (i am by no means a wow fan boy :p)

I really wanted to like the game but i just get bored in it to quickly, i have not found a class that i actually enjoy playing.

It has better graphics for one thing - far better quests than wow and quests are central to the game - better crafting system and my favourite - better pvp - wow pvp is just a joke.

Tilda

I'd say it does most things better than wow.
It is also lord of the rings. Part of the awesomeness of it is the sense of involvement you feel and how you're contributing to something on an epic scale.

Gat_Decor

Fledgling Freddie
Try soloing past about level 35, yes there are a few solo quests but areas like the Trollshaws are just impossible without a group, ok Instances require groups as does a few of the epic book quests which is fine, but i quite like to solo and it's proving more and more difficult.

Did the Master Tailor quest last night and that's a joke without a group.

I don't think the graphics are anything to write home about.

Tilda

a) its an online game, you cant expect to solo all the time. Whats wrong with grouping?

b) The free expansion at the end of this month adds loads more 25-50 content.

The master anything quests are supposed to be hard, so you can't just skill up on an alt and be uber, it makes sense really.

Aada

Part of the furniture
It has better graphics for one thing - far better quests than wow and quests are central to the game - better crafting system and my favourite - better pvp - wow pvp is just a joke.

Better graphics? who gives a rats ass if it looks better if it plays like crap.

Better quests? WoW has far better rewards etc and the quest storys are always funny/sad and lead up to a big quest at the end of that quest series.

Better pvp? Don't make me laugh LOTR pvp is a half made pvp because they didn't want to be bothered with the nerf whines etc.

And to top it all off no class customisation adds to the injury, everybody is exactly the same in your class no different spells etc which imo gets fucking boring and shouldn't be in MMOS these days.

LOTR is a pile of crap but then again Turbine made it so it doesn't suprise me at all.

Talivar

Part of the furniture
Aada all your points can be argued both ways but not Quests, there is no way WoW had better quests than Lotr, infact i cant think of any other MMO that does quests as good as Lotr.

Gat_Decor

Fledgling Freddie
a) its an online game, you cant expect to solo all the time. Whats wrong with grouping?

You know what i'm gonna say here but i'll say it anyway.

I learned my lesson in WoW Pugs and it seems the 'tards from those have started to play LOTRO also. Might sound elitest but its not difficult to understand simple game mechanics.

b) The free expansion at the end of this month adds loads more 25-50 content.

You sure it's 25-50, i've heard it's only 30-40

The master anything quests are supposed to be hard, so you can't just skill up on an alt and be uber, it makes sense really.

Then they should have made it level based.

Aada

Part of the furniture
Aada all your points can be argued both ways but not Quests, there is no way WoW had better quests than Lotr, infact i cant think of any other MMO that does quests as good as Lotr.

I thought the quests were boring to be honest and when you got a reward there was no 'wow nice item' factor.

As soon as you start wow you are rewarded with decent items for your lvl in LOTR they suck.

I'm glad you like the game but i thought it was god awful.

pez

Can't get enough of FH
I thought LOTRO was a far superior game to WoW in almost every single way.

Still wouldn't buy it though, level 16 in beta was quite enough for me.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
quick question. how's Loremasters nowadays? when i played one in beta it was some wierdo cross breed between a Friar, debuffnuker and petclass.

they finally decided what to make out of it or is it still the same?

Asuyi

Fledgling Freddie
Nothing has changed with the loremaster, the skills are the same. However, after the update it is a lot easier to solo

Dreamor

Can't get enough of FH
Patch Notes for Loremaster:

Lore-master

• Purchase price for Lore-master's skill Blinding Flash has been reduced.
  • Test of Wills now has a greater chance to crit and a larger magnitude crit multiplier.
  • Blinding Flash has had a tweak to its resistance rate. Inner flame, although can now only be used when you have a pet summoned, now heals the pet as well as the Lore-master.
  • Your window for performing "Flanked!" attacks has increased its duration.
  • No more missing Improved Staff Strike windows or Sign of Wizardry heals.

• Bear skills have been improved.
  • Bear stuns now last longer.
  • Bear Force Attack now lasts longer
  • Bear Hug is less likely to miss against on level creatures.

• Healer trait now raises the output of all your healing skills by 10%.
  • Lore-master's Blind Flash works on Ancient Evil.
  • Bear Treats! Want to make your bear tougher? Feed him honey! These treats raise mitigation and threat.
  • Bears won't stun on crit anymore but will do 2x damage and have a raised crit chance.
  • Sign of Wizardry Damage has been increased.
  • Burning Embers' initial pulse of damage has been increased.
  • Raven's Aura of Protection Shadow Mitigation has been both raised to 15% but now also starts from the beginning with that level of protection. Protect your party from the Shadow magic wielding Undead!

All Patch notes for 1.2...
Part 1
Part 2

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Nothing has changed with the loremaster, the skills are the same. However, after the update it is a lot easier to solo

nice, might try it out someday to see if the change is big enough to give it a more serious go.

but then again...

Ctrl+Alt+Del

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom