Lord of the Rings

Are you going to play LOTR:O

• Yes

Votes: 55 55.0%
  • No

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • I'm an awkward Hobbit who cannot decide...

Votes: 19 19.0%

• Total voters

Talivar

Part of the furniture
i really dont understand how some ppl think leveling in lotr is so tedoius and bad, compared to grind fests like daoc / vanguard , copy and paste games like coh /cov and complete messes like matrix /swg ,The only other game where the pve is anywhere near close to lotr is WoW imo. I can fully understand some ppl wont like this game or any game for that matter but i just dont understand the reasoning. And before anyone says the combat is dull please tell me how it differs to all the other mmos because im baffled what you mean:)

tazzbe

Fledgling Freddie
Think every mmorp got some way to level up...Lotr is just the same as WoW or Daoc afaik...you do either quests or grind. Listening to the comments it seems the quest way is the fastest to go for most.

But i wanna explore this game a bit aswell...so for me it won't be a race towards max. level, but rather try and enjoy the game. Like i did in Daoc with my first char(s). If you look it took me 31 days to reach lvl 50 back then...you do it in 2 or 3 days these days...

We shouldn't compare the mmorps with eachother imo...everyone got his own taste and likes some aspects of game x but will hate something from game y.

It is not possible to please everyone (altho WoW did a good job brining this genre into a more mainstream public)...

And lets not forget this game is just out...so changes will occur a lot. Again...daoc got 5 years of patches & changes...WoW 2 years? or something...Lotr is just out.

Also looking forward to Warhammer & Age of Conan...but they still far away, so even if Lotr won't get me hooked like daoc did (i hope it does tho)...it might be enough to pass the time between this and the moment those 2 games appear.

Aada

Part of the furniture
i really dont understand how some ppl think leveling in lotr is so tedoius and bad, compared to grind fests like daoc / vanguard , copy and paste games like coh /cov and complete messes like matrix /swg ,The only other game where the pve is anywhere near close to lotr is WoW imo. I can fully understand some ppl wont like this game or any game for that matter but i just dont understand the reasoning. And before anyone says the combat is dull please tell me how it differs to all the other mmos because im baffled what you mean:)

For me the game just doesn't have that spark that makes you want to play it ;/

And i really don't like being told how to spec my char that is a big no no for most people in an MMORPG.

But i guess that is LOTR flaw.. it has to stick to the lore which imo will fail the game.

The game lacked fun for me unlike DAOC/UO/WOW/COV/COH which i instantly fell in love with each game.

Also i thought the instances were bad in LOTR ;/

All in all boring game and glad i hadn't wasted £30

Poag

m00?
All in all boring game and glad i hadn't wasted £30

In your opinion ;)

Conversley I personally think its a very good game. PLaying two characters, one minstrel by myself and with Kinship and a Hunter with my misses when shes able to.

Combatsystem is good, both my minstrel and hunter have various ways to kill the enemy, some are quicker and more mana consuming others not, depends on the situ. Fellowship manouvers is a godly good thing, a sudden burst of power just as you need it, or a finishing blow to that lvl 25 Elite-Master mob you are fighting, i personally think this si one of the most fun things about grouping in the game...especially the giant stomping ent.

As for leveling up, its well through out, zone progression is linear, ie you move further away from the bastions of the free peoples and things get noticably harder to kill. Unlike, for example, WoW when you jump from zone to zone over the entire world.

Its alot more like DAoC where you go from Humberton/Prydwen and end up in Lyon [old world examples]. This imo is a better logic, as all the nasties are around Mordor, not roaming the shire :)

As for sticking to the law, the game only sticks to the story telling lore of the game, Quest NPCs becoming available and then not available again as/when there interaction with the Fellowship is required, or when they are required to be doing something...like being dead

The game itself is very well thought out, characters that do have tasks, like dieing, are all hidden behind doors, so you have to zone into the room to find them. When they are dead...the instance becomes empty, afterall they are dead so can't be there anymore ;) The same is true for Strider and Gandalf for example, as you progress along the story they become available then not again, as/when they are required to be elsewhere within the story. As for the zoning time into any instance, I have found all my loads times are a few seconds, zoning into small rooms happening in the blink of an eye, zoning into instances taking under 5 seconds.

As for sticking to the lore thats about as far as it goes, Turbine seem to have created an entirely seperate plot line for players to follow along that at points intersects with the main story, which is better than making players follow along in the fellowships footsteps imo.

Graphically the game is amazing, I have a 2 year old PC, I have everything onhigh or very high and the game looks absolutly gorgous, and i'm still getting 50+ fps outdoors and 35+ in the old forest.

As for the grouping aspect, playing a minstrel I am, shall we say, in demand. Yet minstrels solo alot better than any healing class I have come accross in any other game. Yet class balence seems to be pretty good, I am seeing alot fo Guardians [tanks] and misntrels around, so i doubt there will be the same "class glut" at 50 as you get in, for exmaple, WoW where Priests are generally low pop and dps high pop.

I also find healing in the game fun, theres alot fo tools available for it, from group regen buffs to hots to direct heals. The buffs the minstrel gives out aswell make the class fantastic, and if you have a captain in there well, its godly fun.
Takeing a group of ~20/22s into the Great Barrows with a single healer and clearing the place out with only a couple of deaths along the way, those two elite masters got half our group before we dropped them sadly, was an acomplishment I was proud of. Other groups we saw going inside had 2 healers while we had one, but with good voice comms and set usage of the fellowship manouvers we were able to overcome most of the stuff inside with ease.

All in all a good game thats well worth the £30 for it.

Also they have extended the Early Access till friday [27th], so if you want a trial you can pickup the Pre Order pack for £1 and play for a few days.

Dreamor

Can't get enough of FH
Great post Poag, sums it up very well :D

Javai

Fledgling Freddie
And i really don't like being told how to spec my char that is a big no no for most people in an MMORPG.

You are not told how to spec your class has a set of base skills, which of these you choose to focus on through traits is entirely up to you and you have make choices between traits you can't equip them all. As it takes time to build up the traits all members of a class start out fairly similar but as you level through the diversity becomes more clear as it takes a good deal of time to get the traits you want up to a good level, or to get the class trait that relates to your play-style.

It's pretty similar to the WoW system except that you have to work to get traits and dont just get points to spend as you level up.

Tilda

Been playing a bit today, got a Captain which is pretty good fun, am enjoying it lots so far :D

Mauness

Can't get enough of FH
yup, got my champ to level 18 and im still enjoying the game atm.

Just started my own guild on the evernight server aswell, so more fun group action to come :)

Tilda

which server? :touch:

I'm playing on snowbourne.

I am really enjoying it, what I love is the epic quests that really make me feel like I'm taking part in the lotr books except just not with the main charachters. Its like I can feel the lotr world/story happening around me.
Love it.

I'm now on a lvl 20 ranger :D

xxManiacxx

Can't get enough of FH
I am gonna buy it today and try it out. Any recomendation on server?

And it´s EU ppl play on?

xxManiacxx

Can't get enough of FH

I am really enjoying it, what I love is the epic quests that really make me feel like I'm taking part in the lotr books except just not with the main charachters. Its like I can feel the lotr world/story happening around me.
Love it.

Creating a char on snowbourne aswell now. A Burglar ofc :D

Have to update the game first though

Crookshanks

Fledgling Freddie
I'm loving it, only managed to get a copy on Saturday (thanks Amazon oO) and absolutely love it. Havn't enjoyed an MMO this much since... the early days of DAOC :england:

thergador

Fledgling Freddie

But i guess that is LOTR flaw.. it has to stick to the lore which imo will fail the game.

The game lacked fun for me unlike DAOC/UO/WOW/COV/COH which i instantly fell in love with each game.

you say you dont like lotro becaused it forces you to spec in a way but you like WoW which does the same thing ?
just seemed like an odd comment to make and you havent looked it correctly really ie traits are selectable when you have earned them which offer more devisity than wow

xxManiacxx

Can't get enough of FH
Wee finally able to login. Name is Ryo a lvl6 burglar so far :D

Dreamor

Can't get enough of FH

Love it.

Oh ok, well I am usually on as Trigger (Loremaster) but I will be creating a Captain as well, soon.

Give me a shout if you want to group up.

rynnor

Rockhound
I'm on Snowbourne - Level 29 Hobbit Minstrel - Geranium - Expert Jeweller pushing for master expert :)

Jarakin

One of Freddy's beloved
Hmm, wouldn't mind giving this a go, anyone still got their 7 day trial available? I'd be most appreciative! :D

Asuyi

Fledgling Freddie
How many of you are playing on the european servers? Have you played on the roleplay server, how is the community there?

Sparda

Fledgling Freddie
Playing on Snowbourn atm with a few of the rigante guys n gals, got a guild up and running too.

Xtro

One of Freddy's beloved
Just installing this now. Don't have tons of time for an MMO but was bored of WoW and want something I can dip into.

As long as it's better than Neocron I'll be happy.

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
its a little bit samey, but what MMOs arent ?

pros :
nice classes
soloable content thus far for the most part
nice deed system for char customisation
fellowship manouevers
scrying pools
monster play

cons :
still having launch problems
some UI bits could use a bit of work
crafting a bit sub par currently

Xtro

One of Freddy's beloved
Hmm, played about 12 hours or so in, am already thinking of just playing the free 30 days and then fucking it off.

The game is retro to the extreme, I played AC1 for donkey's and it doesn't feel a whole lot different. I also think the gfx are pretty poor.

Bah, come on, need something to stop me resubbing to WoW ffs.

Tilda

Xtro, how do you mean retro?

What I love (and am craving since I cant play atm) is the story bits. Sure the rest is like any other mmorpg, you level you do quests you kill stuff etc etc. But from my pov, when you do the story quests, for me anyway, it emmerses me into the lotr story, its like I'm in the world, helping out, and the lotr events are happening as I do things. Sure i'm not directly involved with them, but I'm on the sidelines, doing a quest from aragorn here, gandalf there, doing things to help out indirectly.

Sure I know its just a game, but its the story-quest emersion that makes this game stand out from the rest imho.

Javai

Fledgling Freddie

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom