Lord of the Rings

Are you going to play LOTR:O

• Yes

Votes: 55 55.0%
  • No

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • I'm an awkward Hobbit who cannot decide...

Votes: 19 19.0%

• Total voters

Dreamor

Can't get enough of FH
How many people are actually going to play?

Also, could we get a section for LOTR:O?

Aada

Part of the furniture
Read my post in the other LOTRO thread and decide if they are things that would also ruin a game for you.

Better yet if you are quick enough get down to game and buy a £2 preorder play it and decide for yourself before you blow £30 on it :)

We all know what it is like to buy an MMORPG that sucks and you can't return it god knows i have piles of the fucking things.

Aada

Part of the furniture
Does that include the 30 day trial?

Well if you pay the £2 preorder pack you can play the rest of the 10 days left i think it stops around friday/weekend.

If thats not what you were asking then yeah standard 30 day free with the retail version.

Deacan

Fledgling Freddie
My PC is too shite to play it, well it can play it but unless it looks like arse it often chugs along when there is alot of NPC's or players.

Then again I did make this PC as a media center, not for gaming.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
i wont play it. i tried it pretty extensivly in beta with both a loremaster and a bard. its a total letdown for me. taking such a great title and making it so very general just sucks....

Mauness

Can't get enough of FH
im playing it now, brought my early access keys 6days ago, and recived them on saturday.

absolutely love the game, sure it has its problems which im hoping will be fixed with patch's as some point.

Reminds me of the old days in camelot, all random people grouping just so they could get a quest finished etc, great fun :)

Poag

m00?
Indeed, i am currently playing with my GF on Snowbourn.

Currently a lvl 9 hunter and a lvl 18 minstrel, playing the hunter atm as shes leveling her guardian so we can minstrel/guardian duo :)

Both have pre-orders for release.

Oena the hunter and Poagil the Minstrel

Asuyi

Fledgling Freddie
Currently a lvl 9 hunter and a lvl 18 minstrel, playing the hunter atm as shes leveling her guardian so we can minstrel/guardian duo :)

Oh, there is no level cap in Europe?

As for me, I am currently in the open beta, I haven't preordered but I'll play it.

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
I wont play it, the first game in 20 years of gaming that made me dizzy while playing it..

Aada

Part of the furniture
I just felt the game wasn't exciting at all.

IMO in games like these you atleast have to give the player the option of how to spec their character that is one of the best parts about an MMO.

Also they really should have made it so you could play good or evil.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Also they really should have made it so you could play good or evil.

well, in a way you can. but its not nearly as "exiting" playing a monster then the "human" characters. and that isnt very exiting to begin with...

Aada

Part of the furniture
well, in a way you can. but its not nearly as "exiting" playing a monster then the "human" characters. and that isnt very exiting to begin with...

Well i'm not one for playing a half assed version of pvp :)

Just gonna wait for Conan/War now fuck anything else and if those 2 games fail we are all doomed.

Dreamor

Can't get enough of FH
Well i'm not one for playing a half assed version of pvp :)

Just gonna wait for Conan/War now fuck anything else and if those 2 games fail we are all doomed.

Aada, how much 'high end' content have you played? Your happy to 'slag' the game off and generally put it down or stamp out peoples LOTR Sand Castles.... no game is ever perfect on release but I'd say LOTR:O has a good of being a big success. Its not for everyone and the problem people have is they compare it to other games, its not like every other game... its different, there might be the odd similarity between WoW or DAOC, but its not the same, and thats what I'm looking for. WAR does look good, I agree... but its a year off and to be honest, I've pretty much done everything I set out to do in WoW / DAOC and any other MMO I've played in the last 6 years (although Planetside is still great :) )

Each to there own, but I think it made a pretty decent enough impact for you to post on every LOTRO post and put your 'its sh*t' rubber stamp on everything.

I might be slightly biased about the game, but hey ho :D

Aada

Part of the furniture
Aada, how much 'high end' content have you played? Your happy to 'slag' the game off and generally put it down or stamp out peoples LOTR Sand Castles.... no game is ever perfect on release but I'd say LOTR:O has a good of being a big success. Its not for everyone and the problem people have is they compare it to other games, its not like every other game... its different, there might be the odd similarity between WoW or DAOC, but its not the same, and thats what I'm looking for. WAR does look good, I agree... but its a year off and to be honest, I've pretty much done everything I set out to do in WoW / DAOC and any other MMO I've played in the last 6 years (although Planetside is still great :) )

Each to there own, but I think it made a pretty decent enough impact for you to post on every LOTRO post and put your 'its sh*t' rubber stamp on everything.

I might be slightly biased about the game, but hey ho :D

Combat is dull and not smooth.

The game just got really boring after lvl 10 god knows how i kept playing until lvl 20.

Cannot spec your class how you want.

Drops are not exciting. I remember getting my first green in wow and it was pretty exciting getting any kind of drop.

In LOTR the drops are boring and they just don't have the fun factor of finding one.

I just thought the game wasn't everything players were saying it was from beta and i never played the beta.

My gf is a big LOTR fan read all the books etc and i was sure she would love this game but i was totally wrong she hated it because of many many reasons other then those above.

It's not about being perfect on release as far as i am concerned they have done a great job stamping out the bugs but in this day and age you cannot have an MMORPG with a decent pvp system, the PVM is something to pass the time not something you would play for 3 years like DAOC.

Deacan

Fledgling Freddie
If there is one thing I really did not like it was the zones, I hate having to load every time you enter a house or main city, fair enuth for a instance.

Talivar

Part of the furniture
I find the game great and can understand ppl just not liking it in general but i dont understand when they say things like the combat ect.
The combat is no better or worse when soloing that any other mmo. Grouped its better than daoc/wow because of its special group combos.
Gfx are great and as good as anything else apart from vanguard
Sound is good
Crafting is relaxing and easy to get started with
atmosphere because of sound/gfx and zone layout is great
Leveling wise it blows any other mmo inc wow out of the water since u level almost fully on quests, and a lot of these are chapters/epic type quests
PVP.. well this is the tricky point, ok its not as good as daoc but then on same hand its better than wows battlegrounds. Remember tho this is just early days so PVP could be improved on a lot in the future. Even with the pvp flaws tho it still is very fun and will get even more fun when we have groups of lv50 players kitted out vs the masses of monsterplayers.

Faeldawn

Fledgling Freddie
I find the game great and can understand ppl just not liking it in general but i dont understand when they say things like the combat ect.
The combat is no better or worse when soloing that any other mmo. Grouped its better than daoc/wow because of its special group combos.
Gfx are great and as good as anything else apart from vanguard
Sound is good
Crafting is relaxing and easy to get started with
atmosphere because of sound/gfx and zone layout is great
Leveling wise it blows any other mmo inc wow out of the water since u level almost fully on quests, and a lot of these are chapters/epic type quests
PVP.. well this is the tricky point, ok its not as good as daoc but then on same hand its better than wows battlegrounds. Remember tho this is just early days so PVP could be improved on a lot in the future. Even with the pvp flaws tho it still is very fun and will get even more fun when we have groups of lv50 players kitted out vs the masses of monsterplayers.

Grouped Combat: Grouped Bonuses is nothing new and has been done many many times in games like SWG, Vanguard, DDO and many others.
Crafting: Rip of a whole host of other crafting systems. Nothing new here at all.
Levelling: Questing aka linear. Why pay a monthly fee for a Baldurs Gate style game?
PvP: Essentially the system is flawed. Once players have lvl 50's, how many do you think will play their monster chars when player lvl 50's are far superior and are the characters they have levelled and identify with most (aka, their "mains")? Monsters will be mainly new players or lower level players looking for a break while levelling, so they will be basically farm bait for the "hero" characters. It can be argued this is a good thing as a "hero" character should be superior, how many Orcs did the main characters each kill in LOTR for example? But in the context of a game when the pvp relies on players to play the weaker monsters, it could well fall flat on it's arse. Time will tell on this one.

I still like this game for what it is, but it is fundimentally unoriginal and has no features that set it apart from the other WoW wannabe games on the market at present. It's a fun game, but once you start comparing it to other games it loses in every department except maybe graphics.

Dreamor

Can't get enough of FH
With the Orcs and such, its not so much skill but sheer numbers and I think if you have a nice guy character a lot of people might choose to play evil - for instance say you get double the bonus on destiny points.

I agree, the PVP is nice but yes it could be better... but the basics they have so far is still better than a lot of games on release. To me, the WoW PVP was awful and they just can't seem to get it right... removing the PVP Titles and just making Honour Points was a stupid idea. Its a different style of play for LOTR and its come in at a good time, WOWs a little boring now and WAR and others are a good year off.

Each to there own though, its not all singing and dancing, but it is a nice change and once you've had a good run around in a Good Kinship, its great fun.

Javai

Fledgling Freddie
Currently leading a Kinship (aka guild) in LOTRO with around 30 ex-DaoC'ers I'd say of those 10 of us love it 10 like it but like other stuff as much and 10 probably won't stay all that long.

I'm lucky to be able to run lag free on the highest settings and the game looks gorgeous, in fact much of my first week has been spent site seeing, things like admiring the view from Weathertop. No other mmrpg has given me that sense of scale. Vanguard was huge but quite a stark and barren landscape for the most part (when it ran long enough for me to see it). WoW is also nice is a diffrent way graphically but doesn't have the feeling of scale in the zones that LOTRO has.

Levelling by quests does not make the game linear. There is a linear story line running but you can ignore it and wander around to other areas - it is only linear in the way other games are in that quests are set for certain levels.

The big positive for me is that at level 22 I have still never ever been lost for something to do, there is no sense I need to grind to level 23 to be able to do the next bunch of quests then grind a bit more to do the next lot.

I disagree with the point above about loot, this may be because the Beta didn't have the hi-res textures in it and so you wouldn't see just how lovely some of the armour looks.

The monster play system has potential, in can be expanding alot without disturbing the overall game balance and will be fun to see when the 'good' characters get to be a high enough level to survive in the current pvp zone.

Not all games are to everyones taste but I haven't (as yet, 1 week in) found anything about it that I don't like. With the possible exception of it causing alot of lost sleep :)

Faeldawn

Fledgling Freddie
Levelling by quests does not make the game linear. There is a linear story line running but you can ignore it and wander around to other areas - it is only linear in the way other games are in that quests are set for certain levels.

The quest system leads you from NPC to NPC and zone to zone, it takes you past other zones and tells you who is giving quests and where they are along the way. There is no incentive to do anything other than quest in order to level, hence it is effectively linear and restrictive as there is no other alternate way to level-up (apart from pointless grinding).

This is not necessarily a bad thing, it's the same with almost every mmorpg on the market. But it does make the pve aspect to the game pretty much linear.

Kari

Fledgling Freddie
Well it bored me to tears. Much like Aada, I was in the beta for quite a while, and like Aada I was ready to run in front of a train by level 20 so I would never have to play again. It's mmorpg by numbers, nothing remotely new - it's hard to explain, but I expect a lot of people who are really into it atm & for a few weeks will be slagging it off on a forum near you shortly.

Some people will enjoy it of course, but they'll be the sort of folks who enjoy poking themselves in the eye.

tazzbe

Fledgling Freddie
Javai

When my copy of the game arrives you can invite 1 new player to the guild...
Might see some old faces back since most of them are ex daoc players :)

I'll be sure to send an ingame message the moment i've installed it etc...
Copy from play.com should be here somewhere next week.

Only played beta for a very short time, but think with a nice guild it could be a great game to level (in a relax way)... :)

Aada

Part of the furniture
Well it bored me to tears. Much like Aada, I was in the beta for quite a while, and like Aada I was ready to run in front of a train by level 20 so I would never have to play again. It's mmorpg by numbers, nothing remotely new - it's hard to explain, but I expect a lot of people who are really into it atm & for a few weeks will be slagging it off on a forum near you shortly.

Some people will enjoy it of course, but they'll be the sort of folks who enjoy poking themselves in the eye.

lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom