Politics Labour Implosion

Gumbo

FH is my second home
Oi take all this immigrant talk back to the referendum thread. This one is for ridiculing the Labour Party!

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
People stopped going in because they saw immigrants working cash in hand for 40 quid a day...the decrease in trade apprentices was a result of migrant workers, they werent the cure but the cause.
People adapt, thats how it works out, but a LOT of people took a big hit, tbhit is slowly turning around because immigrant want better wages...now they are worried about a flow if Albanians and Turks taking over as cheap labour.
And of course tradesmen were earning good money...because they were doing proper jobs,..as opposed to the billions earned by middle class nonjobs.

Bullshit. Apprenticeships were dead on their arse before 1997, before the first Polish plumber got off a Ryanair flight.

And look at your list of jobs; pub workers, waiters? Brits have been avoiding those jobs for decades. They were jobs done by students and gap year Aussies before eastern Europeans got in on the act. And as for shop workers etc. these were always low wage, low skill jobs and companies aren't paying anyone cash in hand or below minimum.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
No, but the entire cash in hand market is, 75% of my income is from private individuals paying me what I ask for, most trades are family businesses, apprentice schemes are mostly wnk, kids get into them through family and friends, they couldnt recommend it anymore as work dropped off.
I meet old tradesmen a lot, most get work through long term reputation...they always say to their kids not to bother, a Pole will fit a boiler for 80 quid..I charge 100 to sign it off, it should be a 300 quid job for me.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
No, but the entire cash in hand market is, 75% of my income is from private individuals paying me what I ask for, most trades are family businesses, apprentice schemes are mostly wnk, kids get into them through family and friends, they couldnt recommend it anymore as work dropped off.
I meet old tradesmen a lot, most get work through long term reputation...they always say to their kids not to bother, a Pole will fit a boiler for 80 quid..I charge 100 to sign it off, it should be a 300 quid job for me.

Should, but it aint.

That's like complaining that a large supermarket is undercutting your little shop.

I think you're generally wrong anyway, I've known plenty of people who have become electricians or plumbers and they're earning quite a bit.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
<list of unskilled jobs>
All above have seen a massive downturn in their employment opportunites...that is a FACT.
Wages have been driven down so UK workers will not do those jobs any more when immigrants will.

That's not the fault of immigrants or UK workers - that's lax labour laws allowing companies and corporations to take advantage.

But rage at immigrants eh?

And of course tradesmen were earning good money...because they were doing proper jobs,
In my experience tradesmen took advantage and still do, immigrant or not. People don't like getting fucked over but if they have to then they'd rather choose someone cheaper.

However, if you find a good one then you're happy to pay over the odds and bring repeat work, and your families' and friends work to his doorstep.

Lots of people got fucked over for immigrant labour not primarily because of the cost - but because they were cowboys who weren't good enough to generate any sort of word of mouth.

Unskilled labour doing piss poor jobs? Take the cheapest every time.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing

We've just had a big extension done to our house. Building company is run by South Africans, skilled trades (plumbers, electricians) are Irish and Polish, brickies and labourers are Moldovans. The bosses reckon its impossible to find locals to do the low level work because there's literally no-one who wants it who'll reliably turn up every morning (they freely admit "local lads" would cause them less hassle with some of their older customers who are all racists, but they're not worth the grief). The other interesting thing is that they reckon Polish plumbers don't undercut the locals, they don't need to because they're just showing up and getting the work done, where locals are less reliable. My brother-in-law is a structural engineer on big office block contracts and backs that up; its not the money, its the work rate and the reliability. (On a side note, one of the Moldovan lads on our build fell off his ladder when he was done some work on the outside of the kitchen. He was back on site next morning with an ankle like a balloon, even though he was getting sick pay. These guys work like fucking trojans).

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Labour are so fucked up that the SNP are pitching to become the main opposition at Westminster since there's more support for the SNP than Corbyn. What a bag of LOL.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Labour are so fucked up that the SNP are pitching to become the main opposition at Westminster since there's more support for the SNP than Corbyn. What a bag of LOL.
That's not quite how leader of the opposition works but it's obviously good PR to pretend you might get it.

Gwadien

Angela Eagle contesting for leadership position.

Would be better if Corbyn stayed, this is the lackluster woman who cried at a recent TV interview. She's got less electability than Miliband

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Jesus effin christ. If Jess Phillips stands they could run on being the two most obnoxious mps in the labour party.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
To be fair, its going to be tricky finding a single likable labour mp.

Gwadien

If he didn't say undemocratic things recently...

David-Lammy-MP-009.jpg

I mean, he's black, plenty of brownie points.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Angela Eagle everyone:

Commons sketch: Brownite troops facing their Stalingrad

"Mr Cable opened by quoting what she had said as recently as 2 April [2008], when she accused the Liberal Democrats of tabling a motion which read "like the storyboard for Apocalypse Now, or perhaps even Bleak House", suggesting as it did that "we are facing an 'extreme bubble in the housing market' and the 'risk of recession'."

With what scorn Miss Eagle dismissed those fears: "Fortunately for all of us...that colourful and lurid fiction has no real bearing on the macro-economic reality."

Obviously someone to be trusted with a major economy.

Talivar

Part of the furniture
I like that, he will leave when he is voted out and not just when other politicians tell him to go

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I don't think he will be voted out if it comes to a vote. He never had the support of MPs anyway.

Urgat

Part of the furniture
I don't think he will be voted out if it comes to a vote. He never had the support of MPs anyway.

This is the Issue

The Labour membership voted corbyn in because he is old school and cares about people and real reform, not the politics.

The people that want him out are fucking new labour Tony Blair tory-light wankers. And they want him out because he doesn't play the bullshit games that they do.

I want a proper opposition, I want him to STAY

Talivar

Part of the furniture
They also want him gone before the Chillcot report ever gets released as he has stated he will hold Blair to account as a war criminal

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
They also want him gone before the Chillcot report ever gets released as he has stated he will hold Blair to account as a war criminal
Actually, if he said that I guess we all want him to stay, right? :)

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
I joined the labour party to vote for him because i think that there should be a real difference between the options we face. Not tory and tory lite.

The mps remember 1997 too fondly and should realise it wont happen again.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I joined the Labour party to vote for him because I thought it was hilarious they would allow people to do it.

Now I quite like him actually, with a decent shadow cabinet that could reign in some of his more colourful ideas he could do well. (Well, not now...its gone to far now)

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
So no one will vote in a true labor leader...but no one wants one who could actually be elected.
Time for Labour to put the party name on ebay methinks.

Embattle

FH is my second home
I joined the labour party to vote for him because i think that there should be a real difference between the options we face. Not tory and tory lite.

The mps remember 1997 too fondly and should realise it wont happen again.

Yeah many did the same, but as I've said before it comes in the knowledge that only in power can you truly change things and unless the Tories do something spectacularly stupid he will never be in power.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
unless the Tories do something spectacularly stupid he will never be in power.
Like getting us ejected from Europe in a mistaken effort to quell a few boisterous backbenchers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom