Question Israel / Palestine - Is this accurate ?

rynnor

Rockhound
You've got the logic the wrong way around. The Jewish vote is critical in a lot of key swing states (Florida in particular). You wouldn't get elected if you didn't "stay strong" on Israel. Certain presidents, (mainly Democrats, and Clinton in particular) have cut aid to Israel, but only when they were strong enough to do so. Its a similar problem with the Cuban issue; most American politicians aren't actually retarded and would prefer to normalise relations with Cuba but there's a key bunch of voters (once again, in Florida) who can stop that happening by their influence at the polls. If the US got rid of the Electoral College system, a lot of these issues would go away (although of course they'd be replaced by other issues we'd probably find as bad or worse).

That was my point actually :p Perhaps I could have worded it better :)

Appollo

Part of the furniture
If the pope says we have to go there again can we say no this time?

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
End of the day though, in 1967 the Arabs wanted to wipe Israel of the map and failed. Israel is here to stay, nothing except nucelar bombs is going to change that. The world should move on. We can't go back to every dispute when countries lost territory in a war, otherwise we'd be handing back Southern Sweden and Northern Germany to Denmark, California, New Mexico etc to Mexico, large chunks of Poland to Germany and that's just a few examples in the last 150 years.
Bah since 1658 Skåne is Swedish :p

Jeros

Part of the furniture
If so, wtf ? No doubt far, far more complicated than that, but still.

252223_10100357070869279_2016346734_n.jpg

Why are you an anti-semanite?

I bet my non-existant foreskin you hat all jewz.

You are literally seven Hitlers.

;)

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
I don't wish to be scare mongerer but at this rate Israel will take over the world in 2450.
They really are thieving bastards

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Ah, but even unpleasant people can have valid opinions ;) And if Gandhi believed poverty was a good thing, at least he didn't sit in his solid gold house telling other people it was a great idea. He quite literally walked the walk.

Gandhi never believed poverty was a good thing. He was just following his religion trying to be a good Hindu. Which basically says be poor as a student, family supporter as an adult and financially uninterested at old age...

So he was just yet another religious nut job that by sheer accident happened to have some great ideas. :)

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
This is what happens when you gives countries a free and open vote on the issue. It's a small number of powerful countries who oppose the majority view. US and Israel must be spitting feathers right now because they couldn't veto this outcome.
If it was the UN Security Council, US just says "No" every time Palestine gets mentioned and since they have the power of veto, that's the end of the discussion each time.

SilverHood

FH is my second home
This is what happens when you gives countries a free and open vote on the issue. It's a small number of powerful countries who oppose the majority view. US and Israel must be spitting feathers right now because they couldn't veto this outcome.
If it was the UN Security Council, US just says "No" every time Palestine gets mentioned and since they have the power of veto, that's the end of the discussion each time.

This might not be a bad thing. With UN recognition comes responsibilities. You play by the rules or you end up isolated. As for the UN democracy... when the UN human rights commission is made up of Libya, China, Zimbabwe, Cuba and Saudi Arabia... it loses its meaning.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
when the UN human rights commission is made up of Libya, China, Zimbabwe, Cuba and Saudi Arabia... it loses its meaning.

As it does when the great satans of the UK and US are involved too.

Torture, extraordinary rendition, war across the world, domestic facism, yadda yadda yadda...

rynnor

Rockhound
So he was just yet another religious nut job that by sheer accident happened to have some great ideas. :)

Did he? He didn't want to be ruled by a foreign power - thats fair enough but not exactly startlingly original. What he either missed or ignored was the internal tensions between hindu's and muslims which meant once the Brits left you had the partition and formation of pakistan. Many died on the march out of india and lost everything they had - the ongoing conflict has killed many people - yeah great move...

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Yes. He showed how non-cooperation was a wonderful weapon against authoritarian fucktards.

Like how if the people refused to join armed forces and follow the orders of politicians then we could have no war...

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Just have the invitation to the next security council meeting get "lost"... :p

rynnor

Rockhound
Yes. He showed how non-cooperation was a wonderful weapon against authoritarian fucktards.

Like how if the people refused to join armed forces and follow the orders of politicians then we could have no war...

I think that's a romanticised myth tbh - India got independance because of help during WW2 and because the empire was basically bust - it immediatly descended into chaos and over half a million indians died.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Did he? He didn't want to be ruled by a foreign power - thats fair enough but not exactly startlingly original. What he either missed or ignored was the internal tensions between hindu's and muslims which meant once the Brits left you had the partition and formation of pakistan. Many died on the march out of india and lost everything they had - the ongoing conflict has killed many people - yeah great move...

Actually he recognised the issue all too well (which was one of the reasons he was assassinated by a Hindu not a Moslem, he was seen as being too accommodating of them).

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I think that's a romanticised myth tbh - India got independance because of help during WW2 and because the empire was basically bust - it immediatly descended into chaos and over half a million indians died.

I don't think the "help" had much to do with it (1m Indians fought in WWI for little or no thanks), but the fact that we were skint definitely did; and the Labour landslide in 1945 was a strong message from the British people that they wanted to concentrate on themselves.

rynnor

Rockhound
Would a palestinian state actually help peace though? If its Hamas backed as seems likely you then have a state side by side with a state its sworn to destroy?

It looks like a step closer to a conventional war especially with the Arab spring turning into the Islamic spring...

rynnor

Rockhound
So, in defence of israeli aggression you talk about the egyptian government.

Pathetic old arguments. Tom was right to post that vid.

I'm not defending it - I'm highlighting the complexities of the situation.

I notice you didn't answer my question about how a Palestinian state would help peace in the region...

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
[how would] a Palestinian state would help peace in the region...

For any sort of peace at all you first have to give dignity and freedom to the Palestinian people.

Without that there can never be peace.

rynnor

Rockhound
For any sort of peace at all you first have to give dignity and freedom to the Palestinian people.

Without that there can never be peace.

That makes a good banner but its short on practical solutions...

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Why don't you just say that you support the apartheid, the penning in and collective punishment of an entire people, because you're scared of muslims?

rynnor

Rockhound
Why don't you just say that you support the apartheid, the penning in and collective punishment of an entire people, because you're scared of muslims?

The more I push you for some sort of realistic solution the more ridiculous your answers become - I'll let people judge for themselves why that might be.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
The more I push you for some sort of realistic solution the more ridiculous your answer becomes

I answered your question directly. Your question was "how would a palestinian state help" and my answer was "unless they have freedom and dignity there will NEVER be peace".

That's a direct, succinct and pertinent answer to your direct question. How, exactly, is that "ridiculous"?

I've already stated clearly and multiple times my solution: Single secular state.

What's yours?

rynnor

Rockhound
Your answer was a statement rather than a proper answer and wooly enough to make a politician smile.

I don't think there is a solution where one side is sworn to destroy the other.

The reason Egypt's transition into a theocracy is important is that it removes a moderating influence on Hamas and the Palestinians and brings them closer inline with Iran.

While the Palestinians are being used to wage a proxy war on behalf of Iran and other hostile states theres no chance of any meaningful peace.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom