Is it really worth playing DAoC anymore?

DavidH

Part of the furniture
Xajin said:
51 warrior and some low level 30ish, why?
Ask any lower level player if he's had any groups lately.. Oh wait, lower level players hardly exist. EQ now is pretty much as what DAoC is now. Its close to impossible to start the game, because you have to get through so extremely much of work alone. You can just forget to meet people at your own level. There's almost a better chance that a GM grant you insta 50.

censi

Can't get enough of FH
im not so sure. I think a new player coming to daoc. who is playing the game say 2-3 nights a week for say 10 hours played a week. would prolly enjoy a bit of xping questing and kill tasking. Getting some free levels etc. he would find after a week he was prolly closing in on 20 and join a guild. He can look forward to battle grounds and stuff.

You gotta remeber u been playing for so long you take it all for granted. when u first start its enjoyable just making some progress, some friends, and start to get a feel for the geography and how the game really works.

Chosen

Resident Freddy
David you haven't played EQ for how long? So telling that guy he is wrong, is not correct! Got another RL friend that started with EQ again for some weeks ago, and there is no problem finding people to level up with!

Straef

Can't get enough of FH
I bought EQ at some point, installed it, registered. Then, I logged off, walked around for five minutes and logged off with bleeding eyes. God damn, that's one ugly game ;(

Coldbeard

Part of the furniture
Straef said:
I bought EQ at some point, installed it, registered. Then, I logged off, walked around for five minutes and logged off with bleeding eyes. God damn, that's one ugly game ;(

I tried it at a netcafè once, got into the game .. saw some skeleton dude, ran towards him but got pwned by a bat. Then I thought, okey this is pretty shit how do I quit and tried all kind of stuff and whoa, "You have to sit down in order to quit", or something similar . . . couldn't manage to sit down so just rebooted computer :<

And yes, it is an ugly game!

Asha

Fledgling Freddie
Maybe the problem is playing the game from 6am-11pm? Or maybe it's buying a new account everytime you get bored? I think the game is slow but then it always is in summer. Also the population base is spread out because some ppl moved to Camnlan (brightest idea ever...)

ebenezer

Fledgling Freddie
Coldbeard said:
I tried it at a netcafè once, got into the game .. saw some skeleton dude, ran towards him but got pwned by a bat. Then I thought, okey this is pretty shit how do I quit and tried all kind of stuff and whoa, "You have to sit down in order to quit", or something similar . . . couldn't manage to sit down so just rebooted computer :<

And yes, it is an ugly game!

hahah....thats a mirror image of my eq experience:)) very funny.

~Latency~

Can't get enough of FH
A lot of people who are bored with the game are playing like 6+hours a day, imo get a job or something, more than 6hours isn't really healthy anyway ;d

ebenezer

Fledgling Freddie
Xajin said:
First of all, I think you either have forgotten or are looking through the fact that there's a very big difference between Dark Age of Camelot and EverQuest, which also explains why one of the games die alot faster than the other.
To sum it up for you:

About EverQuest and Dark Age of Camelot
1. In EverQuest you have "quests" and bosses to kill that the game is original designed for. You need help from others to compete, and it's also more funny as the game is built up around being "social".
2. In Dark Age of Camelot you level yourself to 50 (mostly solo/duo/PL), getting artifacts, CL's and ML's. In the long run the only place to get fun is rvr, and this is alright as the game was designed as a Competitive MMORPG and not a normal MMORPG.

Trust me when I say EQ is dying, but way slower than DAoC. The reason why EQ is dying slower than DAoC, is because it's only PvE based and the quests and etc. is made way better than in DAoC, so no matter what level you are, you enjoy the game. In DAoC people (sorry to say it) are very unsocial compared to other MMORPG's and most people sighs when they hear about another expansion, whereas in EQ and the like, people are looking forward to the upcoming expansion.
If we talk about now and before, then I can say that the above stated is not how DAoC original was, but how it has turned. It's partly Mythic's fault, while an almost as big part is the communitys fault. Mythic has based almost every expansion after SI on the endgame, and Catacombs expansion wasn't based on making the PvE funnier, but making it all go faster so you could get from 1-50 faster. The fault players has in how the game has turned needs no explanation really...

yeh also i think that daoc atracted another crowd of people then eq did/do
Whille they also have their share of "leet" people that think they are more then others cause they are "old" and cool players, i would say daoc have them and the "counterstrike" bunch as well.

People that arent atrracted to daoc for pve/rpg/social stuff, instead they are drawn to the competing factor and therefor despise the "other" crowd that doesnt care about the rest of the game.

So while some kinda liked the social aspect of daoc and some bits of the pve, that other part werent really intrested in those even from the beginning.

I think that might be a factor as well. And something that doomed the comunity with all this bitching.
While the end game is something very very cool( the rvr) it atracts two such didderent crowds of people...something that nothing can be done about^^
imo..

Profion

Fledgling Freddie
reroll on an other server if you dont like the action on cluster.

illu

Part of the furniture
I think the game is good and bad.

The good parts are the fun you have initially whacking a few monsters, levelling up, buying some new weapons and armour and exploring.
After a few weeks of PvE it becomes a little tedious because the main fun in the game is RvR.
The trouble is, to RvR you really need a nice template, Artifacts, Scrolls, MLs and CLs. So off you go and do more PvE and then eventually you get to do some RvR and get killed umpteen times by other players.
Finally you get to a nice RR and have good fun. But then after a while it starts to become repetitive. That's when you need to take a break, or make a new toon or make a crafter.

I think there is plenty of life left in the game, but I think there should be some changes as once you get to RR8+ it does tend to start to grind. And at low RR you really are cannon fodder (Hib Mezz, stun nuke nuke nuke - wtf are you meant to do without purge2? Such OP Easymode).

The game is good and has something for everyone. The only bad things I see are casters being too powerful, and no new blood coming into the game because no one has really heard of it. Also if they fixed chain grappling, Moc3+LT being too OP life would be better.

The new expansion pack will probably cock things up again, but it'll give us something to do and something more to whine about :>

Oli - Illu

Coldbeard

Part of the furniture
Profion said:
reroll on an other server if you dont like the action on cluster.

And that server would be ?

The german ones?
The french ones? (lol)
Most of them are probably having some of the same problems as UK cluster, maybe except Avalon.

Then there is moving to US, will have to adjust to time difference, lag etc.

Not to mention starting all over again ... , starting over again on another server is only an option if you have a fixed group tbh.

Coldbeard

Part of the furniture
Muylaetrix said:
quality. sig material.
:worthy:

Because it is probably the most stupid solution which will only fuck up population even more? Which is the REAL problem at the moment.

knighthood

Fledgling Freddie
censi said:
im not so sure. I think a new player coming to daoc. who is playing the game say 2-3 nights a week for say 10 hours played a week. would prolly enjoy a bit of xping questing and kill tasking. Getting some free levels etc. he would find after a week he was prolly closing in on 20 and join a guild. He can look forward to battle grounds and stuff.

You gotta remeber u been playing for so long you take it all for granted. when u first start its enjoyable just making some progress, some friends, and start to get a feel for the geography and how the game really works.

Heh, Tbh u can solo to 20 in a bout 2 days if u killtask. Boring as hell but easy. Its after that that its so excruciatingly painful. Thats when i used to give up and delete chars or try new realms. Xp is a lot faster these days but tbh needs to be even bloody faster imo still. The grind is still way too grindy, ill be back end of month i hope (see people do come back :D ) but tbh im sodding Dreading leveling up a new toon, i done so many 50s and 40s in the past, thanks to the long 8 month break i had it wont seem as frustrating at first but aye, unless u need people to level up with. Thankfully i know alb like the back of my ass and inside out so i shuld be ok, but new players just dont get the help they need. I allways tried to help out whenether possible (i even got mentioned in PC zone for helping a playtester doing an article on Daoc lmao cos i gave him loads of free gold randomly, see it is rewarding to take time out to help :p ).

Ie basicly what im saying is everyone shuld pl me i think lol.

la la la

Belomar

Part of the furniture
I don't mind people quitting (I've even done so myself once). I do mind alarmists and doomsayers who feel they must bring everyone else with them when they do, or at least pollute the community with their whine, and then regard those who fail to do so as "losers" or whatever.

Dorin

Fledgling Freddie
grinding reminds me of my first toon, 50 days to level 50 xD

never thought i would kill that much trees as a hibernian :D

Bahumat

FH is my second home
DavidH said:
You'd be surprised how many people who don't.
Numerous times I've been yelled at for being a quitter and so on for quitting a group due to dinner, friends coming over etc.

Some people in guild did not whine or yell at me for my decision but this is an example of why some people value RL over daoc and vice versa.

My BM is ML3 and there was an ML4+ML5 raid on, i said i could not come as i was going to a club, a few people in guild said "why are you logging, you can goto a club whenever, this is an ML raid?"

I responded that RL > games, I'm happy about that choice as i ended up meeting my now girlfriend :)

Vladamir

FH is my second home
Bahumat said:
I responded that RL > games, I'm happy about that choice as i ended up meeting my now girlfriend :)

And we've been happier ever since :)

Jox

Fledgling Freddie
DavidH said:
I just realised today how tired I am with the game, but for some reason I still stick around. But the last couple of days I've just felt that I almost got more fun out of making some new toons on freeshard, just to check them out. That sais a lot.

I mean, lets look at how DAoC is now.. This is pretty much what every day look like:

6 AM: Custodia Malacitana has captured <insert relic keep>
7 AM: Power relic of Hibernia has been removed bla bla..
9 AM: Hibs wants revenge, and invades alb.
10 AM: <Insert hib guild> has claimed Caer Erasleigh
11 AM: Mids are hungry for some easy rps, and decides to join in!
Noon: <Insert mid guild> has claimed Caer Berkstead
1 PM: IRvR is back!
2 PM Albs zerg outside beno. Horner is with his DI bot in the closest tower to the bridge. About 10 heretics are perma rezzing monsters, which run up to the bridge and tries to kill the animists who are shrooming up.
6 PM: The first GG's are out, finally trying to get some decent 8vs8 action, and fails. Over and over again, they will either get zerged, and log. Or.. they will farm everything in sight, including soloers and just make up an excuse that they are "only" rr9, so they need RPS.
9 PM: Soloers are starting to log simply because they've been zerged all day, or they just cba with this piece of shit RvR anymore. Runs off to FH to make a thread about how GOA should start advertising the game again etc.
11 PM: The server is pretty much dead. Pryd/Excal cluster has 300 players online, on a time which they used to peak easy 3000~ 2-3 years ago.
[Rince/Repeat]

Now, the question is.. is this just me, or is our beloved game soon gone?

This is me, signing out. 4 Accounts closed. About 20 50s retired.

Could I have your stuff?

Kinetix

Can't get enough of FH
Sharkith said:
The server needs a lively FG scene with groups from all realm ranks etc. running regularly. I think collectively we can build that ethos but we need to work together and stop zerg smurfing.

I agree with you on that thats why o proposed this to mythic:

==================================================
What I would like to purpose on this mail is 2 possibilities:

The first one was the creation of limited player battle grounds, these battle grounds would work as an instance and have a border keep just like thidranki with a NPC that gives buffs to all chars.

-One of the battle grounds would be very small and would only support one player of each realm, they would get buffs from npc and they would have the same buffs. This would be solo battlegrounds

-Another of these battle grounds witch would be a much larger would have a max of 8 persons of each realm with the same buff system. This would be group battle grounds

In the end of each session the last player alive or in group case the last group standing would get some kind of points that could get related later to a prize/reward for them or guild.

In my opinion each of these battle grounds should have several scenarios for long range and short range fight either plains or ruins (with climbable spots).

Most important of all is that the access to battlegrounds from Border keeps (no lost time), and that these battlegrounds would be flexible and could be 2albs vs 2mids vs 2hibs or even 4 vs 4 vs 4 or any you would like, and no Tower camping or bridges or anything of that type.
===================================

Dont know if they will like it but its based on my experience from WoW and Guild Wars

Kinetix

Can't get enough of FH
prodical said:
Carmelina Cabalist ML10 CL5
Maiara Mercenary ML6 CL5
Nathanie Cleric ML10 CL5
Ventusia Theurgist ML8 CL2
Darija Minstrel ML10 CL5
Kristanna Infiltrator ML5 CL5
Alimah Wizard ML0 CL2
Mytsharp Cleric ML10 CL5
Tequesa Scout ML2 CL0
Lothir Necromancer ML6 CL1

with this amount of pve no wonder your annoyed with game. go outside and see the sunshine mate. end of story.

he´s been playing almost since beta and i do recal he said he gives more importance to RL. oh and you think he has many chars? lol i have 12 lvl 50 chars and Tosen and his mother have like almost 32 lvl 50 chars so?

Belomar

Part of the furniture
Someone said he had played since just after SI, though. Unconfirmed, since he did not deign to reply to that post.

Kinetix

Can't get enough of FH
Belomar said:
Someone said he had played since just after SI, though. Unconfirmed, since he did not deign to reply to that post.

Im pretty sure he was at least lvl 30 when SI was launched since i started 1 week after it was at Europe. Think his main char is Mytsharp

ebenezer

Fledgling Freddie
Kinetix said:
I agree with you on that thats why o proposed this to mythic:

==================================================
What I would like to purpose on this mail is 2 possibilities:

The first one was the creation of limited player battle grounds, these battle grounds would work as an instance and have a border keep just like thidranki with a NPC that gives buffs to all chars.

-One of the battle grounds would be very small and would only support one player of each realm, they would get buffs from npc and they would have the same buffs. This would be solo battlegrounds

-Another of these battle grounds witch would be a much larger would have a max of 8 persons of each realm with the same buff system. This would be group battle grounds

In the end of each session the last player alive or in group case the last group standing would get some kind of points that could get related later to a prize/reward for them or guild.

In my opinion each of these battle grounds should have several scenarios for long range and short range fight either plains or ruins (with climbable spots).

Most important of all is that the access to battlegrounds from Border keeps (no lost time), and that these battlegrounds would be flexible and could be 2albs vs 2mids vs 2hibs or even 4 vs 4 vs 4 or any you would like, and no Tower camping or bridges or anything of that type.
===================================

Dont know if they will like it but its based on my experience from WoW and Guild Wars

Nothing negative against ur post, cause i like people that contructively do something in comparison to whine:)
But i dont like the idea of battleground for solo people. It will mean a decline in solo people running around looking for solo fights.
I wouldnt use it cause i allready kinda dislike the whole dueling sitting around in a ring concept.

I want regular rvr and the dangers around it and find the ocasional solo fight around that...thats what make it worthwhile. Even though its crap mostly nowadays at least thats when i have most fun.

And if half the soloers i know are around want to try that bg, that means its half gone from regular rvr.
Anyhow, thats my point of view:)
eb.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Vladamir said:
And we've been happier ever since :)

aww Vlad your the best :) i did say to her "im only dating you because Vlad's mum said he's not into Greeks anymore"

:(

Kinetix

Can't get enough of FH
ebenezer said:
Nothing negative against ur post, cause i like people that contructively do something in comparison to whine:)
But i dont like the idea of battleground for solo people. It will mean a decline in solo people running around looking for solo fights.
I wouldnt use it cause i allready kinda dislike the whole dueling sitting around in a ring concept.

I want regular rvr and the dangers around it and find the ocasional solo fight around that...thats what make it worthwhile. Even though its crap mostly nowadays at least thats when i have most fun.

And if half the soloers i know are around want to try that bg, that means its half gone from regular rvr.
Anyhow, thats my point of view:)
eb.

The solo battlegrounds arnt directed for stealth only fights any class can enter its just to those ppl that want a non adding fight from fgs and a easy and fast port to a fight. There are still 3ppl inside that BG and you dont know if there are stealths, casters, tanks or whatever :) it can even be a 3vs3vs3 if mythic so wiches it. completly 3 random persons on same group.
In guild wars we manage to win 10 fights straight without a single death and we had like 2 Mage/necros 1mage monk and 1 mage ranger :)

And in opposite to what you said you still have to look for the other 2 persons, you just dont have to walk all around hadrians wall or something to find another person and get zerged by fgs in the process

ebenezer

Fledgling Freddie
Kinetix said:
The solo battlegrounds arnt directed for stealth only fights any class can enter its just to those ppl that want a non adding fight from fgs and a easy and fast port to a fight. There are still 3ppl inside that BG and you dont know if there are stealths, casters, tanks or whatever :) it can even be a 3vs3vs3 if mythic so wiches it. completly 3 random persons on same group.
In guild wars we manage to win 10 fights straight without a single death and we had like 2 Mage/necros 1mage monk and 1 mage ranger :)

And in opposite to what you said you still have to look for the other 2 persons, you just dont have to walk all around hadrians wall or something to find another person and get zerged by fgs in the process

ok:) ow well..dunno really. As i said the situasion now is quite shitty, but i still manage to have some fun fights a few days a week.
But if they make it a large zone or something similar to the "solo zone" we had here before...that could intrigue me more:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom