Is it really worth playing DAoC anymore?

DavidH

Part of the furniture
I just realised today how tired I am with the game, but for some reason I still stick around. But the last couple of days I've just felt that I almost got more fun out of making some new toons on freeshard, just to check them out. That sais a lot.

I mean, lets look at how DAoC is now.. This is pretty much what every day look like:

6 AM: Custodia Malacitana has captured <insert relic keep>
7 AM: Power relic of Hibernia has been removed bla bla..
9 AM: Hibs wants revenge, and invades alb.
10 AM: <Insert hib guild> has claimed Caer Erasleigh
11 AM: Mids are hungry for some easy rps, and decides to join in!
Noon: <Insert mid guild> has claimed Caer Berkstead
1 PM: IRvR is back!
2 PM Albs zerg outside beno. Horner is with his DI bot in the closest tower to the bridge. About 10 heretics are perma rezzing monsters, which run up to the bridge and tries to kill the animists who are shrooming up.
6 PM: The first GG's are out, finally trying to get some decent 8vs8 action, and fails. Over and over again, they will either get zerged, and log. Or.. they will farm everything in sight, including soloers and just make up an excuse that they are "only" rr9, so they need RPS.
9 PM: Soloers are starting to log simply because they've been zerged all day, or they just cba with this piece of shit RvR anymore. Runs off to FH to make a thread about how GOA should start advertising the game again etc.
11 PM: The server is pretty much dead. Pryd/Excal cluster has 300 players online, on a time which they used to peak easy 3000~ 2-3 years ago.
[Rince/Repeat]

Now, the question is.. is this just me, or is our beloved game soon gone?

This is me, signing out. 4 Accounts closed. About 20 50s retired.

MxN

Can't get enough of FH
The games fine. just need all the whiners who think the game is dead too fo :>

Dakkath

Can't get enough of FH
There are days when I love the game and days I feel exacly the same...
Fortunately, the good still outweighs the bad atm.

Anyway, good luck out in the real world...

censi

Can't get enough of FH
at the end of the day if you wanna quit you quit. If you wanna play but have a bad days RVR you come here and whine about how shit the game is. Its good therapy though.

Ging

Part of the furniture
censi said:
at the end of the day if you wanna quit you quit. If you wanna play but have a bad days RVR you come here and whine about how shit the game is. Its good therapy though.

i had a shit day in rvr yesterday, what makes me feel better is i could be censi :)

Dreamor

Can't get enough of FH
The thing is, RVR is so massive and with so many individuals why not go take a tower and camp it? Thats what my brother and I did, stop getting zerged by 4-7 man Stealth Zerg on Beno Bridge... moved to Mid tower and ran around there for a bit.

I would'nt quit, hell just take a weeks break or do something different... if you feel the same in a weeks time, cancel accounts.

Everyone has there bad days / weeks in RVR ;)

I feel things will get better when the kids go back to school :D

censi

Can't get enough of FH
i had a shit day in rvr yesterday, what makes me feel better is i could be censi

no you couldnt you sux too much.

ebenezer

Fledgling Freddie
censi said:
no you couldnt you sux too much.

" and so it was that censi slapped gingy with his floppy e-tusk hard and relentless"

Zoia

Can't get enough of FH
I spend more time half afk infront of the ME making new templates, than i do running around in the frontiers. :p
Just ask my guildies.
Edit: Give me a couple of weeks and i will figure out how to get at least 2% more heat resist for my latest valk template!

It's only because i'm a bit bored of the game, which is natural after playing it for so long and for so much.
That's a good thing though. Now i only play like 3 times a week and only for a few hours each time.

Arumos

Fledgling Freddie
DavidH said:
I just realised today how tired I am with the game, but for some reason I still stick around. But the last couple of days I've just felt that I almost got more fun out of making some new toons on freeshard, just to check them out. That sais a lot.

I mean, lets look at how DAoC is now.. This is pretty much what every day look like:

2 PM Albs zerg outside beno. Horner is with his DI bot in the closest tower to the bridge. About 10 heretics are perma rezzing monsters, which run up to the bridge and tries to kill the animists who are shrooming up.
6 PM: The first GG's are out, finally trying to get some decent 8vs8 action, and fails. Over and over again, they will either get zerged, and log. Or.. they will farm everything in sight, including soloers and just make up an excuse that they are "only" rr9, so they need RPS.
9 PM: Soloers are starting to log simply because they've been zerged all day, or they just cba with this piece of shit RvR anymore. Runs off to FH to make a thread about how GOA should start advertising the game again etc.
11 PM: The server is pretty much dead. Pryd/Excal cluster has 300 players online, on a time which they used to peak easy 3000~ 2-3 years ago.
[Rince/Repeat]

best of luck m8 :), however, the game is far from dead

>.< Pooned

Fledgling Freddie
Mxn said:

really well said .

that goes to me 2 if i start whining. ;)

/edit freeshard got some very nice points and could be an example to make real server daoc better but in no way we can compare freeshards to live daoc unfortunatly :<

DavidH

Part of the furniture
Mxn said:
This is perhaps my second "whine thread" in the 4-5 years I've been playing DAoC. And for the record, its not a whinethread, its more of a thread saying what the game has turned into.

Just imagine how different the game used to be. Why do you think the game population are down with like 60-70%? It isn't a coincidence.

Zoia

Can't get enough of FH
How exactely do those freeshard servers work?

DavidH

Part of the furniture
>.< Pooned said:
/edit freeshard got some very nice points and could be an example to make real server daoc better but in no way we can compare freeshards to live daoc unfortunatly :<
I never said that freeshard was better. I'm merely pointing out that even making new chars to check out their abilites is more fun than trying to RvR on the normal servers.

auroria

Banned
DavidH said:

[Rince/Repeat]

dunno what the fuck your on about, rvr has been good lately, ncie fg fights etc. And didn't you start camlann?

whinersmincer

Fledgling Freddie
im off aswell daoc hase gone to shit but hey good luck with the rest of u that play daoc

DavidH

Part of the furniture
auroria said:
dunno what the fuck your on about, rvr has been good lately, ncie fg fights etc. And didn't you start camlann?
"Good lately" doesn't justify spending £20-30 a month on accounts.

Ging

Part of the furniture
DavidH said:
"Good lately" doesn't justify spending £20-30 a month on accounts.

you have an active guild in rvr - try for a month, see if u enjoy it, if not nps.

dont listen to opinions from FH - only u will know if your having fun.

DavidH

Part of the furniture
Ging said:
you have an active guild in rvr - try for a month, see if u enjoy it, if not nps.

dont listen to opinions from FH - only u will know if your having fun.
I've had several "active" guilds in the past year. I've ended up in maybe 4-5 groups all together. Mostly groups wont take me cos I value RL higher than a game. Like if something comes up when playing, I will leave. Most people don't seem to handle that very well.

Mirt

One of Freddy's beloved
I wouldn't say the game is dead, although DAoC is definatly towards the end of it's life cycle.

99% of the people I knew from SI and eairly ToA are gone now, and because of this, for me at, least the game is mostly over. Still there are other games out there :)

Sharkith

Can't get enough of FH
DavidH said:
I've had several "active" guilds in the past year. I've ended up in maybe 4-5 groups all together. Mostly groups wont take me cos I value RL higher than a game. Like if something comes up when playing, I will leave. Most people don't seem to handle that very well.

thats a problem tbh, quite a big one. I can see why you have had to quit - if I had only the solo thing I would quit because it is a bit boring with all this zerging. As for FG RvR it is getting going again so stopping might be premature.

The server needs a lively FG scene with groups from all realm ranks etc. running regularly. I think collectively we can build that ethos but we need to work together and stop zerg smurfing.

ebenezer

Fledgling Freddie
that its slowly dying is just a fact:) But its not dead now. Still summer and a decent procent is prolly on vecation etc.

Almost no new people inc...so means same old people changing realms and playing still.
Even though people at some point in their life have more time to play daoc, doesnt mean they can keep doing that for 4 years and more.
its a long time in a humans life...things change....some get other jobs...some starts school etc. And more and more are quitting and change games.

this leads to that it will slowly die.

Was loads of action a couple of weeks ago when all the ac raid etc was...now it slowly got back to a quieter period. I dont think several hundred players suddenly left, so you will see and increase in action when something happends in game again.
But yeh...its deadish at times^^
eb.

Coldbeard

Part of the furniture
Logged on full of expectations and lust to play the game again after 1,5 months break, but quickly got reminded on the state of the game. Alliance showed a few people online, most whom I don't even know who is, friends online list empty (insert random funny response) and everything seemed rather daft.

Managed to get hold of some rvr grp with druid and did a fair share of RPs even though the rvr was not great.

Other times I logged on there was impossible to get grp on druid or no action at all. Logged on warrior and did some solo runs just to discover nothing is changed there, learned that there is all of a sudden alot of rr9+ people I've not even heard about. Didn't add on some hib NS fighting and he "returned" the favour in his own special way by adding on my 1 vs 2. So everything is like it use to be.

Sooooo .. Not really playing much "live" server atm :/

Nuxtobatns

Can't get enough of FH
DavidH said:

2PM : Soloers go DC/Brynja and have a bit of fun most of the times while zerglings go Beno (especially when Mids and Hibs have port there)

Gamah

Banned
Only ignorenet fools think the game is fine. Too scared to admit DAoC is dying because of all the time they have spent in game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom