Is it really worth playing DAoC anymore?

Kinag

Part of the furniture
Gamah said:
Only ignorenet fools think the game is fine. Too scared to admit DAoC is dying because of all the time they have spent in game.

Wee, Gamah does not consider me an ignorant fool :D

censi

Can't get enough of FH
its one thing to get bored of daoc and quit. Its another thing to loiter around the forums telling all the players who do still enjoy the game and are active how shit the game is etc...

Vladamir

FH is my second home
Game isn't what it used to be. After two months back ingame i remember why i quit. Lots of spare time but i can spend it elsewhere now :p

DavidH

Part of the furniture
Gamah said:
Only ignorenet fools think the game is fine. Too scared to admit DAoC is dying because of all the time they have spent in game.
Without the game, I guess they are nothing :)

Xajin

Fledgling Freddie
Geez, not another of these "I quit" threads....

About whetever the game is dying or not
Yes, the game is slowly dying, but all games does. Heck, even the (in)famous game Counter-strike is slowly dying. A thing I don't understand though, is why quit? The only thing it does is make it worse for the rest of us, but for the remaining of us we can live without your so called "facts", as it only gives a bad influence.

About advertising
Since we're now at it, then I agree that the game is not what it used to be.
Advertising the game to get a larger crowd wouldn't help this fact either. Why?
because a large percentage of the old core of DAoC simply refuses to have anything to do with you, as you've not played with them for the 2-5 years they have themself played. Getting told that you can't join them, but you can probably try ANOTHER place isn't what I would call a good first time experience for new players, so advertising this game would overall be waste.
Note: Alot of people PL also, and telling new players "if you really care about this game, then you level this-and-that" instead of either helping them level or level with them when you yourself is currently PL'ing is just....

What I dislike

1) Warlock and other easymode rollers, that has rolled such class for the sole reason that they will win 80% of the time, because they can't take losing on a honest char.
2) leet-attitude and people refusing to group with you because of your RR and "experience" (even though I've played since/in open beta of DAoC).
3) People logging on FH just to spread negative comments about how the game is about to die and that they will now quit, so the rest of us can sit back with a negative feeling.

Graendel

Fledgling Freddie
I think we all (ok, most of us) value RL higher than this game. And so, if you're not enjoying it - by all means, good luck and goodbye.

Straef

Can't get enough of FH
Having ze fun pve'ing a dr00d on hib/exc atm, so BEWARE!

The fun bit might be a lie, but it should turn true soon enough :<

Dorin

Fledgling Freddie
hmm yo dude... Do you really need someone from the web to tell you to stop playin or to continue your journey in Camelot?

never understood these kind of topics, didnt touch daoc for almost 6 months but never asked anyone if they think its ok or not o_O

So frigging easy:

1, You still love the game or not? Are you willing to spend time on it and if you do so, do you enjoy it? If you do so subscribe and play
2, if not then dont. Go and find something else be it an mmorpg or whatever.

what the hell is this "worth to play" stuff o_O

its up to each and every person to answer that for himself not to ask for oppinions on a forum... well imo :_D

DavidH

Part of the furniture
Dorin said:
Do you really need someone from the web to tell you to stop playin or to continue your journey in Camelot?
Not at all. I've decided that all by myself. The only reason I've stayed another year or so, is because of good friends ingame.

DavidH

Part of the furniture
Graendel said:
I think we all (ok, most of us) value RL higher than this game.
You'd be surprised how many people who don't.
Numerous times I've been yelled at for being a quitter and so on for quitting a group due to dinner, friends coming over etc.

Graendel

Fledgling Freddie
DavidH said:
You'd be surprised how many people who don't.
Numerous times I've been yelled at for being a quitter and so on for quitting a group due to dinner, friends coming over etc.

Well, let's put another spin to it.

We've got three nights a week when we get on to play with our group. That means some of us juggle stuff around in order to make these nights. Believe it or not, Tze, some of us do more than just play and wank off!

It's understandable the others in my gg would be frustrated if I just left as they would probably be sitting around up to 30 minutes just plain waiting for a replacement. (Or someone could just do a /level 20 and that would be enough!) Frustrated because that would be 30 minutes of the time they would have spent on other stuff if we hadn't decided to run a group that night. This isn't because I have a life and they don't.

Communication and advance notice is the key to no hard feelings I guess.

Spetsnaz

Fledgling Freddie
Xajin said:
Geez, not another of these "I quit" threads....

About whetever the game is dying or not
Yes, the game is slowly dying, but all games does. Heck, even the (in)famous game Counter-strike is slowly dying. A thing I don't understand though, is why quit? The only thing it does is make it worse for the rest of us, but for the remaining of us we can live without your so called "facts", as it only gives a bad influence.

About advertising
Since we're now at it, then I agree that the game is not what it used to be.
Advertising the game to get a larger crowd wouldn't help this fact either. Why?
because a large percentage of the old core of DAoC simply refuses to have anything to do with you, as you've not played with them for the 2-5 years they have themself played. Getting told that you can't join them, but you can probably try ANOTHER place isn't what I would call a good first time experience for new players, so advertising this game would overall be waste.
Note: Alot of people PL also, and telling new players "if you really care about this game, then you level this-and-that" instead of either helping them level or level with them when you yourself is currently PL'ing is just....

What I dislike

1) Warlock and other easymode rollers, that has rolled such class for the sole reason that they will win 80% of the time, because they can't take losing on a honest char.
2) leet-attitude and people refusing to group with you because of your RR and "experience" (even though I've played since/in open beta of DAoC).
3) People logging on FH just to spread negative comments about how the game is about to die and that they will now quit, so the rest of us can sit back with a negative feeling.

even the fect u are an alb

I cant agree more
well said hehe

jokke

Fledgling Freddie
DavidH said:
I just realised today how tired I am with the game, but for some reason I still stick around. But the last couple of days I've just felt that I almost got more fun out of making some new toons on freeshard, just to check them out. That sais a lot.

I mean, lets look at how DAoC is now.. This is pretty much what every day look like:

6 AM: Custodia Malacitana has captured <insert relic keep>
7 AM: Power relic of Hibernia has been removed bla bla..
9 AM: Hibs wants revenge, and invades alb.
10 AM: <Insert hib guild> has claimed Caer Erasleigh
11 AM: Mids are hungry for some easy rps, and decides to join in!
Noon: <Insert mid guild> has claimed Caer Berkstead
1 PM: IRvR is back!
2 PM Albs zerg outside beno. Horner is with his DI bot in the closest tower to the bridge. About 10 heretics are perma rezzing monsters, which run up to the bridge and tries to kill the animists who are shrooming up.
6 PM: The first GG's are out, finally trying to get some decent 8vs8 action, and fails. Over and over again, they will either get zerged, and log. Or.. they will farm everything in sight, including soloers and just make up an excuse that they are "only" rr9, so they need RPS.
9 PM: Soloers are starting to log simply because they've been zerged all day, or they just cba with this piece of shit RvR anymore. Runs off to FH to make a thread about how GOA should start advertising the game again etc.
11 PM: The server is pretty much dead. Pryd/Excal cluster has 300 players online, on a time which they used to peak easy 3000~ 2-3 years ago.
[Rince/Repeat]

Now, the question is.. is this just me, or is our beloved game soon gone?

This is me, signing out. 4 Accounts closed. About 20 50s retired.

Well, im back :)
and i have an feeling that more and more ppl are returning to the game we love to hate. And tbh, i was very suprised with the amount of RvR going on. i thought it wud be dead, but the toothfairy & co are out there seen some nice mids groups roaming around and today i think i even saw an alb group away from the beno bridge. So im very positive to the future of daoc, i think the wow players are getting fed up with the kiddy PvP and starts too look around after new mmorpg's, maybe a few will give daoc a try.

Edit: missed a point: Td have some sweet GGs up long b4 6PM, and as long as im in that group we will kill every soloer we see, or atleast ill try to get them to ;) (unless its an 1 vs 1 fight and the hib is winning), this goes especially out to stealthers who are carrying bows and warlocks, and tbh i wudnt trun down an good bonedancer either :)

And for the record: its Terra Dominus who have Eras :)

Golena

Fledgling Freddie
Yes the games dying slowly.. that's what games that are this old do.

The people getting worked up about it are obviously playing their first ever computer game, and can't see life past it. There have been several games in the past that have slowly died away, you move on and find the next one, or go do something completely different. Not really a big deal.

There's still going to be people having fun after you've left tho.. Just because your mates have left so you've got nothing left to play for doesn't mean that's true of everyone in the game. People still log on and have fun, stop coming here and telling them they are crazy for doing so..

(a) I've done everything I feel I wanted to in the game so i'm moving on (i'm normal)
(b) I've decided to leave, so the game's over!! (I'm censi and gingy's love child! :fluffle: )

Which one are You??

DavidH

Part of the furniture
Golena said:
Yes the games dying slowly.. that's what games that are this old do.

The people getting worked up about it are obviously playing their first ever computer game, and can't see life past it. There have been several games in the past that have slowly died away, you move on and find the next one, or go do something completely different. Not really a big deal.

There's still going to be people having fun after you've left tho.. Just because your mates have left so you've got nothing left to play for doesn't mean that's true of everyone in the game. People still log on and have fun, stop coming here and telling them they are crazy for doing so..

(a) I've done everything I feel I wanted to in the game so i'm moving on (i'm normal)
(b) I've decided to leave, so the game's over!! (I'm censi and gingy's love child! :fluffle: )

Which one are You??

First of all, I've been playing MMO's for around 12 years. I've played pretty much whatever has been released, so no, this is not my first.
EverQuest still has loads of players, and its like twice as old as DAoC. (And obviously older then you are) So.. I don't really see your point.

I never told anyone to stop playing the game. Please, do quote on issues like this instead of simply twisting my words to make you sound like an intelligent prick.

Last but not least, I don't even know gingy or censi is, except for their names on FH. Obviously you've been kissing their ass a long time already.

1: I'm an idiot
2: I'm a moron

Which one are you?

PS: Oh yeah, cry more.

Golena

Fledgling Freddie
DavidH said:
First of all, I've been playing MMO's for around 12 years. I've played pretty much whatever has been released, so no, this is not my first.
EverQuest still has loads of players, and its like twice as old as DAoC. (And obviously older then you are) So.. I don't really see your point.

I think you'll find i'm much older than everquest.. but since you seem determined to insult me... Everquest might have lots and lots of players sure, I bet you'll find the percentage of players it has now compared to when it was first released is a fairly small fraction tho!

DavidH said:
I never told anyone to stop playing the game. Please, do quote on issues like this instead of simply twisting my words to make you sound like an intelligent prick.

Please point at where I quoted you.. oh god I didn't.. oops!

DavidH said:
Last but not least, I don't even know gingy or censi is, except for their names on FH. Obviously you've been kissing their ass a long time already.

I'm not sure how insulting the two of them (I know they are men enough to take it in good humour unlike you!) is "kissing their arse".

DavidH said:
1: I'm an idiot
2: I'm a moron

Which one are you?

PS: Oh yeah, cry more.

I'm not the one crying here meight..

/dismiss..

p.s. haven't you left already??

prodical

Fledgling Freddie
Carmelina Cabalist ML10 CL5
Maiara Mercenary ML6 CL5
Nathanie Cleric ML10 CL5
Ventusia Theurgist ML8 CL2
Darija Minstrel ML10 CL5
Kristanna Infiltrator ML5 CL5
Alimah Wizard ML0 CL2
Mytsharp Cleric ML10 CL5
Tequesa Scout ML2 CL0
Lothir Necromancer ML6 CL1

with this amount of pve no wonder your annoyed with game. go outside and see the sunshine mate. end of story.

DavidH

Part of the furniture
Golena said:
Please point at where I quoted you.. oh god I didn't.. oops!
Thats the point. Funny that you aren't even smart enough to figure that one out. But hey, not like I didn't expect it.

Golena said:
I'm not the one crying here meight..
Actually, yes, you are.

DavidH

Part of the furniture
prodical said:
with this amount of pve no wonder your annoyed with game. go outside and see the sunshine mate. end of story.
See my avatar? Its directed at you. :)

Chosen

Resident Freddy
DavidH said:
This is perhaps my second "whine thread" in the 4-5 years I've been playing DAoC. And for the record, its not a whinethread, its more of a thread saying what the game has turned into.

Just imagine how different the game used to be. Why do you think the game population are down with like 60-70%? It isn't a coincidence.

4-5years? You started some weeks after SI came out! Fyi!

Golena

Fledgling Freddie
DavidH said:
Thats the point. Funny that you aren't even smart enough to figure that one out. But hey, not like I didn't expect it.

Yes your ability to put 2 and 2 together is much greater than mine.. I mean look at your observations so far!! :worthy:

DavidH said:
in the 4-5 years I've been playing DAoC

DavidH said:
Why do you think the game population are down with like 60-70%? It isn't a coincidence.

DavidH

Part of the furniture
Golena said:
Yes your ability to put 2 and 2 together is much greater than mine.. I mean look at your observations so far!! :worthy:
Wow, look at that.. He is able to quote people after all.

Xajin

Fledgling Freddie
DavidH said:

First of all, I think you either have forgotten or are looking through the fact that there's a very big difference between Dark Age of Camelot and EverQuest, which also explains why one of the games die alot faster than the other.
To sum it up for you:

About EverQuest and Dark Age of Camelot
1. In EverQuest you have "quests" and bosses to kill that the game is original designed for. You need help from others to compete, and it's also more funny as the game is built up around being "social".
2. In Dark Age of Camelot you level yourself to 50 (mostly solo/duo/PL), getting artifacts, CL's and ML's. In the long run the only place to get fun is rvr, and this is alright as the game was designed as a Competitive MMORPG and not a normal MMORPG.

Trust me when I say EQ is dying, but way slower than DAoC. The reason why EQ is dying slower than DAoC, is because it's only PvE based and the quests and etc. is made way better than in DAoC, so no matter what level you are, you enjoy the game. In DAoC people (sorry to say it) are very unsocial compared to other MMORPG's and most people sighs when they hear about another expansion, whereas in EQ and the like, people are looking forward to the upcoming expansion.
If we talk about now and before, then I can say that the above stated is not how DAoC original was, but how it has turned. It's partly Mythic's fault, while an almost as big part is the communitys fault. Mythic has based almost every expansion after SI on the endgame, and Catacombs expansion wasn't based on making the PvE funnier, but making it all go faster so you could get from 1-50 faster. The fault players has in how the game has turned needs no explanation really...

censi

Can't get enough of FH
In DAoC people (sorry to say it) are very unsocial

no shit its called war!

U made some good points though. problem with daoc pve expansions is they are designed to be a like a little one off grind you "have" to do unless u like suxing in RVR. You get the expansion do the grind and you dont need to do it again. (specially like cata and toa)

There isnt any reasons to pve in daoc. The pve isnt especially challenging (specially on hib, 3,2,1 shroom wait 15 seconds and pull and pwn pretty much anything)

All the mobs to me seem more or less the same. pretty badly animated, pretty uninteresting and not really any special tactics to kill. Even though you could argeu this and say oh no this mod/encounter u gotta do this before you do that in this order etc... end of the day its just like a few basic things like shrooming or ml9 focus pulling etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom