In the interests of statistics: RR grats threads

What should be the minimum RR for a grats thread?

• RR10+

Votes: 199 40.4%
  • RR5+

Votes: 202 41.1%
  • Not fussed, but I like clicking buttons.

Votes: 91 18.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

raid

Can't get enough of FH
I fail to see the problem with grats threads. It's not like a thread appears automatically when someone dings. A friend posts a thread if (s)he thinks it's an achievement for the person dinging the rank, be it RR5 or RR13.

Myself I have 4 chars rr9-11 and I usually tell people to not make a thread if I ding something as I dont find it anything special. However, RR5 ding can mean a lot to someone who doesnt "only rvr" and play in opted groups. People should just use common sense with posting the threads...

What comes to the separate grats section, don't see the need for it since all the "rvr discussion" is locked instantly anyway. While I can see the reasoning behind locking threads and deleting posts, mods should realize the game is still about fighting. Can't expect people to just hold hands and be happy on the forums. Should be allowed to express negative feelings as well. Just my 2 cents.

Javai

Fledgling Freddie
Coming to this discussion a little late but surely how many grats threads there are is down to the community. There would be a R1L1 limit that doesn't mean you have to post a grats thread for it. If you don't think a ding is worth a mention it is simple really - don't mention it. And if you don't like grats threads just don't open them and don't reply to them so they move off the board rapdily.

Ronso

Can't get enough of FH
man that poll is close ..just checked and its 163 163

Rolv

Fledgling Freddie
It took me 2 years to ding rr6 on my savage, and yes for me that was a very big achievement. Not every1 are able to play 24/7, im lukcy if I get 1 night rvr once a week. I dont understand why a 'grats' thread would hurt? Maybe it's not needed to post a rr5 grats thread for a powergamer that got it in less that 2 weeks - then just dont post. But for a guy you know have struggled for long to reach this on his main, a rr5 grats may be just as worthful as any other grats thread - be it rr10 or not.:)

Dr_Evil

Fledgling Freddie
After 411 votes:

166 votes rr10+ (40.39%)
166 votes rr5+ (40.39%)
79 votes no (19.22%)

Hmm what do these statistics say?

Btw how about 1 grats thread for rr5 and 1 for rr10 and no grats threads for rr6-9?

Takitothemacs

Fledgling Freddie
..... I could possibly suggest that the lower limit is rr5 (which IS an achievement for casual gamers even with the changes..) then have another limit of rr10... so in essence we only see 2 grats thread per person/toon one at rr5 and one at rr10... then over that as players reach rr11, 12 etc as mythic extend the rrs.

The whiners wont see any "grats on rr6, 7, 8 9" threads, the casual gamers get to feel good (and we do) when they hit rr5 and get their thread and the serious gamers get their RR10 threads without having to trawl through all the levels inbetween...

What say you?

Flimgoblin said:
I quite like that :) RR5 and RR10 as milestones (maybe have RR13 too ;))

I like the idea too... ;)

Takitothemacs

Fledgling Freddie
Saying that the changes will mean that lower RRs will be able to rack up the points as fast as anyone else isn't entirely true... they dont have the toys needed to survive in rvr as effectively as their higher RR counterparts ;) does depend on grouping etc though :D

Dr_Evil

Fledgling Freddie
Takitothemacs said:
Just recently dinged rr6 (yay grats to me! ;))

As a casual player its taken me a good 2 and a half to 3 years to level and gain rr6 on my shade... it was my first rr4 toon let alone rr5 which I didnt achieve till october last year...

A lot of people in the thread saying thet RR5 is nothing... well to me it was... and rr6 is certainly something I was happy to achieve... I will be happy also to achieve rr7 when I do... BUT having played last night the change in RP allocations IS going to make life easier for casual players like me... rr6-rr7 wont be as hard for the likes of me as rr5-rr6 was.

I could possibly suggest that the lower limit is rr5 (which IS an achievement for casual gamers even with the changes..) then have another limit of rr10... so in essence we only see 2 grats thread per person/toon one at rr5 and one at rr10... then over that as players reach rr11, 12 etc as mythic extend the rrs.

The whiners wont see any "grats on rr6, 7, 8 9" threads, the casual gamers get to feel good (and we do) when they hit rr5 and get their thread and the serious gamers get their RR10 threads without having to trawl through all the levels inbetween...

What say you?
Ah didn't see that until now, I read it too fast yesterday. Maybe my subconciousness stored it and gave me the idea now, or maybe great minds think alike. :D

I like the idea anyway. :)

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Dr_Evil said:
Ah didn't see that until now, I read it too fast yesterday. Maybe my subconciousness stored it and gave me the idea now, or maybe great minds think alike. :D

I like the idea anyway. :)
point is, now you dont even have to kill people for realm points,
you can ding rfrom repairing doors/healing people/missions

There is no human right to get a grats thread. Just end this crap tbh. If ppl want attention they can get it on irc, phone, PMs, /send ingame.. etc...

A forum shouldn' be bombarded with 15-20 ongoing grats threads that 1) has nothing to do with RvR in whole. 2) Has nothing to do with anyone except the single person that dinged.

Now some ppl might say that well most threads is about someone, and I agree with that but the diff is; that most threads while it's about someone they have a point or a message that affects more then one person. As for adding on fights, one or two ppl could been involved but it affects the whole community since a large mayority feels that adding is equal to ruining thier game experiance, thus wasting thier money. ( this was used as an exampel and not meant to bring up and discuss a new topic )

Okey, I got the solution now.

Make a stickied thread where ppl can spamm there grats on. That would make everyone happy except the ppl that only post stuff to get attention - wich they should be denyed of anyway.

!

Sharkith

Can't get enough of FH
Matriarch|Sneakers said:
There is no human right to get a grats thread. Just end this crap tbh. If ppl want attention they can get it on irc, phone, PMs, /send ingame.. etc...

A forum shouldn' be bombarded with 15-20 ongoing grats threads that 1) has nothing to do with RvR in whole. 2) Has nothing to do with anyone except the single person that dinged.

Now some ppl might say that well most threads is about someone, and I agree with that but the diff is; that most threads while it's about someone they have a point or a message that affects more then one person. As for adding on fights, one or two ppl could been involved but it affects the whole community since a large mayority feels that adding is equal to ruining thier game experiance, thus wasting thier money. ( this was used as an exampel and not meant to bring up and discuss a new topic )

it is piss funny to see human rights mentioned in the same breath as a such a spectacularly on sided post as yours! Please keep posting because I am pissing myself laughing at your logic.

Sharkith said:
it is piss funny to see human rights mentioned in the same breath as a such a spectacularly on sided post as yours! Please keep posting because I am pissing myself laughing at your logic.

Please crawl back to your cardboard-box and stay there, useless.

Sharkith

Can't get enough of FH
Matriarch|Sneakers said:
Please crawl back to your cardboard-box and stay there, useless.

Amazing you have done it again! Teh irony.

Drav

Loyal Freddie
Give them their own forum and remove rr restrictions....or make all gratz threads have huge jessica alba pictures as the background...then maybe Id be interested.

Sharkith

Can't get enough of FH
Drav said:
Give them their own forum and remove rr restrictions....or make all gratz threads have huge jessica alba pictures as the background...then maybe Id be interested.

who is 'them'?

have to agree on the pictures thing - it would make life around here more illuminating.

Javai

Fledgling Freddie
- English - said:
i think the people who got rr9+ chars voted for only rr10 plus gratz threads and casual peeps voted for rr5! :p

Well you are wrong on one count at least :p

Drav

Loyal Freddie
Sharkith said:
who is 'them'?

have to agree on the pictures thing - it would make life around here more illuminating.

Them as in "Them gratz threads" :)

Sharkith

Can't get enough of FH
Drav said:
Them as in "Them gratz threads" :)

cheers thanks for the clarification. Just to clarify why I asked - for a moment there I thought you meant 'them' as in 'them people who post crappy RR5 gratz threads'.

Its the 'othering' and over generalisation that people seem to be infected with around here that I kind of object to. It doesn't help the mods sort out what to do especially with such divided opinion on the matter.

You know kinda like our view (whoever 'our' is) is more important than theirs? And all that shite.

Sharkith said:
You know kinda like our view (whoever 'our' is) is more important than theirs? And all that shite.

In a discussion over generalisation is necessary to make a point, you take a stand and you argument from there. I'm sure everyone is fully aware that thier opinions isn't more right or wrong then anyone elses, but if you want something to change you can't argue both sides.

I mean, it's not for me to argue against myself, thats up to you or anyone else who think that "grats threads" is an important and postive aspect of this forum section.

Again, I'd like to hear someone who believes grats threads belong in this forum section and why. ( and skip the "olol matez I want my useless spamm/flame/troll thread when I ding rr5 )

Sharkith

Can't get enough of FH
Matriarch|Sneakers said:
In a discussion over generalisation is necessary

I can't agree with that. Over generalisation shifts the discussion away from the actual point of the discussion. I agree you are entitled to adopt a stance but your argument weakens when you over generalise to this or that constructed group. What you do is move your argument onto the terrian of stereotypes like "all Albs are zerging sucky players". Which of course they aren't.

It would be better to make your stand and to do that on a positive note at least. Saying they add nothing is not a stand it is simply saying that they bring nothing.

So to counter your non point I would argue that gratz threads are important to the broad community because they are a medium for people to recognise each others achievements no matter what realm they are in. That is their primary function from a community perspective.

Of course some gratz threads turn into flame fests. In such incidents it is the individuals concerned that need to think about their behaviour because all that the flames indicate is how childish those individuals are.

I hope you find that more positive.

Sharkith

noblok

Part of the furniture
Matriarch|Sneakers said:
In a discussion over generalisation is necessary to make a point, you take a stand and you argument from there. I'm sure everyone is fully aware that thier opinions isn't more right or wrong then anyone elses, but if you want something to change you can't argue both sides.

I mean, it's not for me to argue against myself, thats up to you or anyone else who think that "grats threads" is an important and postive aspect of this forum section.
discussion != debate.

In a debate you try to 'win', even if you know you're in the wrong. In a discussion you try to view the whole thing and try to come up with the most reasonable solution.

Nuancing doesn't mean that you're arguing against yourself. You can say "I know that sometimes..., but in general I think that..." Try to make a list of pro's and con's and explain why you think the con's outwheigh the pro's. This will not weaken your point, it will only make it clearer to people who hold a different opinion.

People won't change their opnion when you give a one-sided report. They'll just say "He's wrong" and quite rightly so. If you give a correct, nuanced view of a situation, they won't have that argument and may change thier opinion. Even if they don't change their opnion they'll still see your point, which means it's achieved a lot more than an over-generalised argument.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom