[Important notice]Thursday servers problems.

C

cleeve

Dj yeh u should do

cos ur chars on the server

and the other copy aint gonna be online at the same time...
just take ur account details with you.

Agreed that the feedback mechanism isnt the best... TBH most DAOC players dont seem to even know about let alone use forums....

#daoc is fairly busy but again tends to be the domain of muppet german facist spammors and a bot that doesnt let you give advice on which channels are avaiable that speak german or french (50% of visitors start off with is there a channel for german/french speakers in their native language) You try n help them with a try #daoc.dr and its bye bye kicked for advertisiing.. grrr

A mass email possibly could help..

Has anyone here played tribes2? that had what I thought was an excellent solution to this sort of problem - server browser / tribes mail/ forums all contained in the gui of the game itself so you could be running tribes2 and just sitting in the chat rooms or forums that the game came with and ran from within the gui... Thats what DAOC is missing.. then it would have a really cool online community feel. Kemor if u read this could you pass that idea up the food chain please.. Its probably too late for daoc.. but Mythic are bound to be working or planning a DAOC 2 or expansion right now....

Cheers folks

Revor

O

old.UK^Womble

np DJSKUM ... I know it works because I've tried it, great for LAN partys when everyone is playing DAOC in the same room (it shares nicely using ICS down an ADSL pipe):)

O

old.ViscountCharles

In fact you can share your ADSL pipe amongst 3 PCs all running DAOC *and* have a Roger Wilco server running in the background, so that your crew have voice chat as well!

That way, when the healers yell "Run!" everyone hears and obeys, instead of missing it on the chat window. Eh, Womble?

O

old.tris UK

what do they do to test the servers? do the testers have characters or something then just follow a list of things to do to see if everything is in order?

F

Fex

Anyone know where the list of servers has gone on the daoc homepage?

O

old.tris UK

the last time i seen that list was before the site shut down :rolleyes:

F

Fex

Aye same here they seem to have gone AWOL, btw Kemor any news m8?

X

Xavier

Originally posted by Acron
Zugeck, relate it to September 11th.

No one expected the planes to be hijacked and flown into a building. The air company wasn't prepared and neither were the buildings. Or, their preparation wasn't sufficient.

Do you think GOA knew that anyone was going to DDoS their set-up? Why would anyone want to DDoS a DaoC server? They were probably unprepared, yes, but they won't be from now on, will they? Again, they are excelling in their service to make sure this problem doesn't occur by probably installing back-up servers as we speak.

EDIT: Andro, don't be such an ignorant fool.

you're relating this to september 11th? you ignorant prick!!!

X

Xavier

Originally posted by tris UK
didnt i tell you they should change the time on the pop up message you get whe you load the game? and didnt everyone say they wouldnt?? well they did so HA!

grow up

K

kemor

The procedure to re-open the servers is taking a little longer than planned, no real problems but takes some times to get the servers ready.
Should not be long now, but cannot give exact ETA yet. :/

F

Fex

Thx Kemor keep whipping the techies every now and then to get those servers back up :D

O

old.Cied

Thanks Kemor...

Aint he a great bloke :p

Any free money in my chars bag :D

Cied

O

old.ViscountCharles

Erm, I don't think he was trying to say that the two events were in any way comparable, but trying to tell someone after an unforseen event that it was *their* fault the problem occured is dim-witted.

No-one could realistically expect terrorists would try and murder thousands of innocents (and there's only a limited amount of stuff they could have done to stop it happening or minimise the effects).

An attack on the GOA servers may or may not have been foreseeable. Certainly they *hadn't* seen it coming, which is why the effects have been more disruptive than they needed to be.

Of course, none of us have died or lost loved ones, and *not* to expect some hacking activity of an online game seems a bit daft to me, given past history. So there are several reasons why the analogy doesn't hold water. But 'm not sure the original poster deserves abuse for it.

O

old.Cied

I really dont think this is the time or the place to discuss September the 11th, so lets not metion it anymore b4 some1 says something and everything goes wrong

O

old.tris UK

Originally posted by Cied
I really dont think this is the time or the place to discuss September the 11th, so lets not metion it anymore b4 some1 says something and everything goes wrong

amen

O

old.Tolen

Originally posted by Cied

Its not a bad comparision... Unless the hacker seriously fcked up, they got about as much chance of catching him as Bin Laden...

O

old.Cied

Originally posted by Tolen

Its not a bad comparision... Unless the hacker seriously fcked up, they got about as much chance of catching him as Bin Laden...

im not saying if i think it is good or bad.. just that we should not even go near that subject...

O

old.ViscountCharles

News is, the servers will be up "soon".

Of course, you lot knew that already.

Question is, whose definition of soon are we using?

O

old.Aralik

Do any mods excist on barrysworld DAoC forum? Because I see bad language flying all over the place and the one mod that there is, is doing it to. It really doesn't help.

O

old.Tolen

Originally posted by ViscountCharles
News is, the servers will be up "soon".

Of course, you lot knew that already.

Question is, whose definition of soon are we using?

Soon in the French sense - ie. some point between now and next month.

F

Fex

lol the bad words are not filtered here, you can use any language you like just ask Bhodi :D

X

Xavier

careful, some people find the very uttrance of his name offensive :p

X

Xavier

btw, it's Bodhi not Bhodi - not that I care but getting his name wrong will probably provoke a tirade of abuse never seen before :eek:

K

kemor

Step by step server re-opening.

The backups have been restored; the three main servers (Avalon, Brocéliande & Excalibur) will be available soon after this post. If the modifications done on our network work as planned, we will open the other servers soon after.

Stay tuned…

O

old.MightyPit

Hi,

I don't want to seem unpatient, but half past five isn't early afternoon, is it?

Or did Goa forgot to take off the message from the german updateservers? :rolleyes:

ups, i take it back :D

Hail Camelot.

(i hope that lyonesse is up as fast as possible too) :clap:

M

Melodic

ok if you bring up Excalibur first then I'll have to play my Thane, but can you please do a Broadcast message when Prydwen comes up?? Thanks :p

O

old.limbo

I intended to read all of the forum before I posted, but at page nine I got to this post, and couldnt hold myself any longer. Sorry for flaming, but I think Acron deserves it.

Acron, how can you realte this downtime of a few servers to an act of global terrorism? I for one care a whole lot more about if someone I newer ever met dies in real life, than if my DAoC character dies.

And FYI DOS attacks of all kinds of sorts are well known and documented, and all serious IS and AS providers take precautions to them. While the terror act of September 11th was something that never had happened before.

Originally posted by Acron
Zugeck, relate it to September 11th.

No one expected the planes to be hijacked and flown into a building. The air company wasn't prepared and neither were the buildings. Or, their preparation wasn't sufficient.

Do you think GOA knew that anyone was going to DDoS their set-up? Why would anyone want to DDoS a DaoC server? They were probably unprepared, yes, but they won't be from now on, will they? Again, they are excelling in their service to make sure this problem doesn't occur by probably installing back-up servers as we speak.

EDIT: Andro, don't be such an ignorant fool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom