I thought I was resitting an exam tonight, but I fail and fail an fail :eek:

Bahumat

FH is my second home
TdC said:
ffs I failed it AGAIN :eek: wtf is wrong with me :(:(:(

Bet my idea does not sound so silly now eh?

Sucks you failed, but keep at it buddy!

opticle

Part of the furniture
:( :( :( Sorry to hear it mate. Keep at it and you'll get there. You'll be shit hot by the end :)

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
two more exams today, as school evidently thinks that's a good idea somehow. SQL2 and FCO-IM. the first one was ok-ish. Came away from it feeling good, which either means I passed or that I failed miserably, but the second one...holy shit dudes, by the end I felt as if I'd sharted out my brain through my earholes :(

TdC

hmm like I said, I just blacked out during the first SQL exam. Sat and stared at the paper for 40 minutes before just randomly writing stuff down. Bear in mind that I have never done anything with databases (except swear at workies DBA idiots) in my life. This SQL exam was the "advanced" one, dealing with trigger and index theory, alongside writing some trigger writing and execution plan analysis. Tbh I'd be surprised if I fail that one.

The FCO-IM exam I was reasonably well prepared for, but I stumbled on the first question which was a reverse of what I'd been doing for the whole half of the semester. FCO-IM is a modeling method that primarily deals with things called existence postulating fact expressions. Think things like "There is an online forum called Freddyshouse." and "User TdC is a member of Freddyshouse." etc . Further analysis of those reveals certain facts and objects contained in the expressions which can be used to create models which in turn can actually be used to generate databases. My stumble was that I'd always worked from given expressions, and what was asked was to reformulate said expressions from a database table. Given my literal brain, that was pretty hard for me heh.

Also, while I can do it with moderate incompetence, "modeling" just doesn't really sit well with me. This is why I still haven't passed the other exam on UML. The gist of that exam is make a domain model from a given case, make use cases from another case, make sequence diagrams from yet another case and make either an implementation class diagram or whatever else they come up with. Last time I didn't pass that I fired off a long email to the lecturer detailing what I felt I was doing wrong, and asking him if there were any errors that I was making that he hadn't told me about. Well, it turns out that I was doing several things wrong the nice man had never actually told me what they were, so I was making continual errors while thinking I was fighting the good fight.

Since he still hasn't gotten back to me regarding my request for us to sit together and for me to ask all my questions and hammer out some notes that will help me pass the damn exam, ad interim I've decided he's a cunt :)

Chilly

Balls of steel
You could always work as a waste management executive.

~more running~

TdC

You could always work as a waste management executive.

~more running~
fun fact: I'm being tempted away from the IT industry altogether atm. my photographer mate and I are considering writing a book together. makes it really hard to stay focused at work and school :)

opticle

Part of the furniture
fun fact: I'm being tempted away from the IT industry altogether atm. my photographer mate and I are considering writing a book together. makes it really hard to stay focused at work and school :)

A book on what ? :oops:
(I don't even know what that smiley means, but this one is surely angry :eek:)

TdC

the music scene in Iceland. from Reykjavík, 6 months to a year of work. we have some ideas.

TdC

just took my first resit of this semester's fails and I utterly destroyed that exam. if it were a person I would be in jail now. srsly. WOOO HOOO THIS FEELS GOOD PEOPLE

TdC

we're still being all gay about it and not committing :(

soze

I am a FH squatter
I do really badly in exams too. I read too fast and change words so the sentence makes sense without reading the whole thing. It's amazing the difference reading that instead of then makes. At school they could not decide if I had mild dyslexia or if I was just lazy. I have read a question 4 or 5 times before I realised I read it wrong.

TdC

I do really badly in exams too. I read too fast and change words so the sentence makes sense without reading the whole thing. It's amazing the difference reading that instead of then makes. At school they could not decide if I had mild dyslexia or if I was just lazy. I have read a question 4 or 5 times before I realised I read it wrong.

I am *exactly* the same dude. It's odd, because when I was in my 20's I could literally absorb massive amounts of information without even trying but nowadays (yes this makes me sound old, I know) it's all I can do to read even a one sentence exam question without either skipping over half of it and/or simply missing the point. Technical questions are reasonably ok, but I am totally fucking up all the deep design q's :-/

TdC

it's a scary thing.

looking at it realistically we stand to not be able to pitch it to any publishers at all due to it being a pretty extreme niche: there are perhaps 5000 people in the entire world who would find this shit interesting (of which 4987 live in Iceland) and that's a pretty optimistic guesstimation. Since those people don't particularly care to pay cartloads of cash for a book regardless of how pretty it's pictures or how deep it's thoughts so nobody will ever touch it.

That aside, it could be fun to just say fuck this and get on with the book. The only thing I'd kind of want to do that is in my way is school. Best to get the paper first...everything else is secondary.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
I think that a lot of people who are into their music take an interest in Icelandic music. Its always amazed me how such a small country produces so much talent. I'm sure you have them already but with a bit of digging i could probably get some good contacts for you.

TdC

there is that. I must say I know my subject a bit but I am not that well versed in a potential market.

TdC

exactly, and exactly. or my current faves Samaris and Rokkurró (book's not about what my personal likes and dislikes are though). anyway, there's tonnes of talent there it would be so much awesome to showcase that.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
a photographic guide to the history of the reykjavik music scene. hipsters would lap it up im sure of it.

TdC

with both the newest of the new wierdcore, and the old gard who've been plodding along since the punk movement and are still cutting edge. stick that in your pipe / record player / fixed gear / mustard yellow pants, hipsters!

TdC

last resit of this semester tonight. so far I've done every exam and paper twice dammit. have only two positive results back: 60% for a paper and 94% for SQL1.
For tonight I can do about half the subject matter reasonably well. The rest...meh. I did a praccy exam and scored 58%. That would be LUSH tbh :(

Chilly

Balls of steel
last resit of this semester tonight. so far I've done every exam and paper twice dammit. have only two positive results back: 60% for a paper and 94% for SQL1.
For tonight I can do about half the subject matter reasonably well. The rest...meh. I did a praccy exam and scored 58%. That would be LUSH tbh :(
I'll sit it for you. I can probably just about get to you by then :D What is the exam? (TBH I'd do worse than you, because it's probably about bullshit no one cares about in real life)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom