I caved in bought iphone

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Zenith, you've had a few days with the Hero rom on the Magic now. I know that the Magic and the Hero have the same guts so you'll have a spot on idea as to how the actual Hero performs. So.. how is it now? I've read a few reports of jitteryness/lag with the Sense UI which I can imagine would get really irritating. Have you found this is the case, or does it remain smooth all the time?

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Aada, my cousin is thinking of doing the same offline iphone and then a simplicity o2 contract. Does the web bolt on give you all the data options you need to use the iphone?

Aada

Part of the furniture
Aada, my cousin is thinking of doing the same offline iphone and then a simplicity o2 contract. Does the web bolt on give you all the data options you need to use the iphone?

All you do is change the cellular and mms APN in network settings to mobile.o2.co.uk then they should be good to go.

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
Anyone that does this is a retard. The SIM that comes with the PAYG iPhone is a payg sim - simply use this AND YOU GET FREE DATA. why would you ever use a different sim ...

Aada

Part of the furniture
Anyone that does this is a retard. The SIM that comes with the PAYG iPhone is a payg sim - simply use this AND YOU GET FREE DATA. why would you ever use a different sim ...

You don't get the minutes/texts with the PAYG sim you clown i pay less then £20 a month for my simplicty and i get unlimited texts/2000mins/web bolt on do you think i would get that on by topping up with £20 a month on a PAYG?

Tard.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
Zenith, you've had a few days with the Hero rom on the Magic now. I know that the Magic and the Hero have the same guts so you'll have a spot on idea as to how the actual Hero performs. So.. how is it now? I've read a few reports of jitteryness/lag with the Sense UI which I can imagine would get really irritating. Have you found this is the case, or does it remain smooth all the time?
I missed this post sorry.
The Hero ROM lasted about 3 hours on the phone before my wife wanted Cupcake back. In the time that I had it on there, it was smooth as glass and there was no real lag that I noticed (the phone is the 288MB version, not the Vodafone 192MB version).

nath

Fledgling Freddie
*glee*.

Can't wait til upgrade day, but I expect they're going to fuck me over on data allowance so I'll probably have to move to T-Mobile.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Cos that only lasts 12 months?

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
*glee*.

Can't wait til upgrade day, but I expect they're going to fuck me over on data allowance so I'll probably have to move to T-Mobile.
Not a great problem as long as you've got coverage.
Don't be tempted to skimp by going down to the £30 Combi tariff.
Combi 30 gives you 700 mins, unlimited texts but the phone is £97.87.
Combi 35 has been reduced to £31.50 and has 800 mins, unlimited texts and the phone is free.

I don't know what T-Mobile data rates are like, but I know Orange's is 500MB/month.

Aada

Part of the furniture
It's a shame 3 don't invest in any of the models people like here like HTC etc i found their HSPDA coverage the best so far i don't think i went many places where it wasn't on my last phone.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!

Because some people need to use it as a phone as well? The o2payg sim only gives you o2 to o2 free calls when you top up by certain amounts. My cousin is a heavy mobile user (for business) and needs at least 1200 minutes to any network a month plus texts. It makes no sense for him to use a payg sim that will cost him a fortune in call costs.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Not a great problem as long as you've got coverage.
Don't be tempted to skimp by going down to the £30 Combi tariff.
Combi 30 gives you 700 mins, unlimited texts but the phone is £97.87.
Combi 35 has been reduced to £31.50 and has 800 mins, unlimited texts and the phone is free.

I don't know what T-Mobile data rates are like, but I know Orange's is 500MB/month.

You can't not include their data package with this phone on t-mob. It's free on that 31.50 package plus a fiver for their data which is unlimited but with a 3gb fair usage policy. The nice thing is that aside from the stonking 3gbs, if you exceed that they contact you. I've heard people saying they're getting "unlimited" net from Orange but it turns out that's 500mb and it's not a FUP, if you exceed it you just pay for the extra.

Since I've been with Orange for years I'll be explaining this in detail to retentions and see what I can squeeze out of them.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Damn you SonyEricsson, Damn you to hell. There's an X2 coming out soon as well :(

This means I have to decide between the X2 (WinMo 6.5?, slide out keyboard) and the X3 (Android, on screen keyboard). I'm actually getting quite attached to WinMo now for all it quirkiness, and despise on screen keyboards, but the X3 looks lush. So I am completely torn, and just to make things even more confusing Satio is due out in October as well.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
I'm placing all my hopes on Android now. All WinMo does is disappoint, it's got some great stuff to it but I think it's had its day.

Why not go for the Hero bods - I know it's not Sony but the Sony execs won't come after you, I promise!

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
You don't get the minutes/texts with the PAYG sim you clown i pay less then £20 a month for my simplicty and i get unlimited texts/2000mins/web bolt on do you think i would get that on by topping up with £20 a month on a PAYG?

Tard.

Ah Simplicity is a contract. I'll have to work out the costs, still you're paying a lot more than me ;)

I was under the impression you were buying a PAYG phone for £500 odd with a free SIM, then buying another PAYG SIM and paying for the data bolt on ... hence the confusion

edit: for a heavy call user that seems to make sense, comes to about £900 for 18 months on the £45 contract (similar incl. calls) and £800 for 18 months on the £20 contract + PAYG phone. Business people should get their business to pay ;)

Bodhi

I'm placing all my hopes on Android now. All WinMo does is disappoint, it's got some great stuff to it but I think it's had its day.

Why not go for the Hero bods - I know it's not Sony but the Sony execs won't come after you, I promise!

Cos my upgrade isn;t due til December :)

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin

how so? I mean, I've had my Touch Pro 2 for a while now and tbh it's pretty awesome and does everything nicely. Only thing I actually have against it is that it takes about a thousand years to charge on pure USB 5v, whereas a wall socket to USB adapter charges it in mere hours.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
how so? I mean, I've had my Touch Pro 2 for a while now and tbh it's pretty awesome and does everything nicely. Only thing I actually have against it is that it takes about a thousand years to charge on pure USB 5v, whereas a wall socket to USB adapter charges it in mere hours.
I guess it could be an unfair assumption. I'm on an HTC Touch Dual at the moment which runs WinMO 6.1, it's also got a very very early TouchFlo 3d thing on it. It's fucking awful, the OS is just so slow and annoying to use. Maybe 6.5 is better but any time I see a WinMo start menu I shudder :).

TdC

tbh I really advise trying out the newer models. I know there's a lot in tf3d that sucks goat balls, but it's really faster and a lot more stable than the older ones or even the previous gen ones!

nath

Fledgling Freddie
tbh I really advise trying out the newer models. I know there's a lot in tf3d that sucks goat balls, but it's really faster and a lot more stable than the older ones or even the previous gen ones!
Too late, I'm totally sold on the HTC Hero :).

TdC

oh, I didn't mean ignore Android phones, they're certainly awesome! i'm just saying that the new gen WinMo's aren't the horrible beasts they used to be :)

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
oh, I didn't mean ignore Android phones, they're certainly awesome! i'm just saying that the new gen WinMo's aren't the horrible beasts they used to be :)

You can put lipstick on a pig but its still a pig.

TdC

ooh grumpy! want me to post the pic again? ;)

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
ooh grumpy! want me to post the pic again? ;)

Check the avatar. WinMo is fekkin awful though, and even Touchflo only masks the underlying problems. I can only see one benefit to having a WinMo phone and that's if you're on a Corporate Exchange network and they don't support RIM-phones, otherwise, bleh.

TdC

hehe I see, I see. well you're going to find me strange(er) then because I am with a company who does precisely that but I don't use it ^^

currently the phone does everything I need it to, and is fast. job done for me. you are correct about tf3d and some quirks in the winmo inferface. the borders between the two are sometimes strange, there is little uniformity regarding looks or skins between some apps (that actually were in the phone to start with, eg not custom). I actually don't find the way it displays text messages to be very handy or intuitive, but I suppose that's due to me being used to Nokia's linearity as, with the execption of one SE I have only had Nokias.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Also, are there any WinMo phones that have a capacitive touch screen? Resistive ones are lame-o!

Bodhi

Also, are there any WinMo phones that have a capacitive touch screen? Resistive ones are lame-o!

I have no problems with the two resistive touchscreens on my phones, however I have fingernails (not long ones before you try and take the piss) so I find the capacitive ones useless.

I have also found a new Panel for my Xperia. It's called Point UI and it's basically another version of touchFLO, and makes a few of the WinMo screens (which I will admit SE did a piss poor job of covering up) a bit more finger friendly. Menus are nice and snappy too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom