I caved in bought iphone

Aada

Part of the furniture
Well after using the itouch for nearly a year and loving everything about it i i have just bought an iphone 3Gs 32gig for £550 from Carphone warehouse.

For the past week they have let me try out different phones to see which one i wanted to keep i tried the N97 and one of the new HTC phones but i felt the iphone was everything i needed in a phone.

I use the internet a hell of alot on my phone and i think the iphone has it nailed and i just couldn't use the other 2 phones without wishing i had safari on it.

I bought it on PAYG as i felt that the 02 contracts ream you i worked out that a £45 a month contract+£180ish for the phone totalled up to nearly £1000 after the 18 month contract is up which i find pretty ridiculous, so i bought a sim only contract for £15 a month with 2000mins/unlimited texts+ plus £5 internet bolt on.

I have wanted this phone for ages but i didn't want to get into the iphone crowd but the phone in my opinion is just the best for media/internet the apps are pretty stunning as well.

Anyone else got an iphone and regretted it/not regretted it? would be interested to hear from other users.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Holy moses, half a grand on a phone? From the few times I've used an iphone I'll admit it's got a fantastic interface, it really is a nice bit of kit. Half a grand though?

Oy vey.

Incidentally is this the same Aada who complained about having to upgrade a PC every few years?

Aada

Part of the furniture
Holy moses, half a grand on a phone? From the few times I've used an iphone I'll admit it's got a fantastic interface, it really is a nice bit of kit. Half a grand though?

Oy vey.

Incidentally is this the same Aada who complained about having to upgrade a PC every few years?

I had to think about half a grand for a couple of days but i just felt the phone is the phone for me. Since the iphone released i have been wanting one but always getting something else but wishing i had the iphone because of the fantastic interface/features and pure ease of web browsing.

I know what your saying though half a grand is expensive.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
What about data costs on PAYG? Do you still get free unlimited data or do you have to pay per MB now?

Aada

Part of the furniture
What about data costs on PAYG? Do you still get free unlimited data or do you have to pay per MB now?

I don't know i have bought a 02 simcard with the above minutes/texts/internet on my first post for £20 a month.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Ah yes, didn't notice that bit. All seems very expensive but I'll be interested to see how you get on a few months down the line. It does look like a great phone.

Aada

Part of the furniture
Ah yes, didn't notice that bit. All seems very expensive but I'll be interested to see how you get on a few months down the line. It does look like a great phone.

Will report back when it's smudged to hell with finger prints, off out to buy some white gloves :p

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
just hope you dont live in places that get to hot or it will keep shutting down on ya. :)

SheepCow

Bringer of Code

The (free) SIM you get with the PAYG SIM has 1 year of free unlimited data attached to it.

I use O2 Unlimited (top up £15 and you get unlimited calls + texts to O2 mobiles) and get the free unlimited data.

When the year of data runs out it's £10 pcm to continue with data

Dreamor

Can't get enough of FH
I caved a while back and bought a iPhone, worst phone I've had to date to be honest... I so wished I had gone for a HTC or even (at the time) the Google Phone (Android?)

iPhone has some nice features, agreed, but the best ones you have to pay for? No thanks!
Battery life is just a complete joke, a friend bought the extended battery... $70 for an extra 2 days. Whilst thinking of app's, some of the best ones drain the battery and also the run/load time for them is dreadful. I'm not sure if I'm really unlucky, but when I even go near a computer with it or a Server room, the phone restarts itself and often goes into an endless loop or issues (locks/restarts/hangs.) I've had 3 since signing up on O2 so it cannot be 3 in a row I've been unlucky with...

First quit time I get this week, it goes on ebay...

Unsure what to get as a replacement now, but the hype-o-meter sucked me in on the iPhone... and I feel dirteh. :p

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
How is the iPhone with running multiple applications?

My mate and I have Nokias with Symbian OS (I have the N95 8 GB and he has the N82) and he informs me that the iPhone can't 'multitask' apps (have google maps running, then switch to another app to write a text, or use the camera or something) which you can do on the N95 and N82.

I don't know if this is right or not, can someone set me straight?

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
My smartphone from 2003 just rang. It says it wants its feature set back.

I'm afraid a funky UI (which I find about as intuitive as Slackware) can't hide the fact that you'd paid 550 notes to a Marketing and PR company for a "smart"phone that they haven't even bothered to implement Bluetooth on properly. This is the same smartphone which pisses and moans if you try and do more than one thing at a time with it, and makes some of the simple stuff, like writing a text or choosing your own ringtone, a right royal pain in the arse.

I'll stick to my Xperia thanks whilst I wait for Xperia Rachael to come out. SE's first Android phone, 8mp camera, 1Ghz CPU, 3D chip, 512Mb RAM and one o the most sexua UI's I have ever seen. It's where the smart moeny will be going at the end of the year.

Aada

Part of the furniture
I read about the battery complaints and i am pretty worried about it but so far the phone seems great. Have been using the itouch since it released for music and web browsing, it got to the point where I wasn't even using my pc anymore to web browse I just picked up the itouch and I was away.

Multi tasking isn't something I need to do but so far everything that I have done works great.

Like I said I tried 2 other phones but the interface on the iPhone is just so easy, the touch screen is the best you will find I have owned a few touch phones and they don't compare to this at all.

Ringtones I have to say is annoying but once I found out how to do it I had around 5 ringtones on my phone within minutes but I am not one to be choosing new tones every day anyway.

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
Aada: Why aren't you using the SIM that came with the phone btw?

Re: Multi-tasking, does anyone have an example where it would actually be useful? The only one I can think of is IM clients

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time

Re: Multi-tasking, does anyone have an example where it would actually be useful? The only one I can think of is IM clients

Listening to music whilst browsing the web? Having a browser and email client open at the same time? Trying to use it as a smartphone perhaps?

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
Sheepcow: Using my own phone as an example (WinMo), I switch to speakerphone, type notes and check my stock list in Excel when doing a stocktake over the phone.
Then there is using TomTom for turn-based satnav, while Google Latitude runs in the background letting my wife know where I am. Both at the same time.

Bodhi: Sorry but I had to sell my Xperia in the end. The case cracks problem happened once too often for me (3 phones cracked, 4th replacement eBay'd). I'll be using the cash from it to buy my wife a HTC Magic SIM-free. It'll give me a chance to see how Android works in normal daily use.

Up until a few of days ago, I wanted a HTC Touch Pro 2. Now I'm considering the TP2, the Toshiba TG01 or the Samsung Omnia Pro (B7610 Louvre). Yes I require WinMo for work reasons. :)

HTC Touch Pro 2
htc-touch-pro2-multi-300x300.jpg

Toshiba TG01
toshiba-tg01-1-300x316.jpg

Samsung Omnia Pro (B7610)
samsung-omnia-pro.jpg

I'm leaning towards the Samsung for the CPU and keyboard, but the TP2 has the backing of the chefs at XDA-Dev for cooking custom ROMs. Decisions, decisions.

Aada

Part of the furniture

I have a sim only contract with 02 so bought the phone outright as didn't want the contracts 02 force you to have with the iPhone which ream your arse. Your talking £1000+ for the phone+contract if you take one of the monthly contracts with iPhone.

Tried the htc pro2 it didn't impress me at all, the n97 was a very nice phone though.

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
Listening to music whilst browsing the web?

You can do that no problem on an iPhone.

Having a browser and email client open at the same time?

Why? - if you want to read a web site and write an email you can do that, just switch between the 2 apps.

Using my own phone as an example (WinMo), I switch to speakerphone, type notes and check my stock list in Excel when doing a stocktake over the phone.

You can do that no problem on an iPhone.

Then there is using TomTom for turn-based satnav, while Google Latitude runs in the background letting my wife know where I am. Both at the same time.

No Latitude for iPhone yet. This is the only one I can see that wouldn't work with the way the iPhone works -- however it's quite a typical thing so I'm sure they'll make an exception for it to work.

Don't take this an me defending the iPhone out right, it has issues - just trying to correct some of the misconceptions :)

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
I have a sim only contract with 02 so bought the phone outright as didn't want the contracts 02 force you to have with the iPhone which ream your arse. Your talking £1000+ for the phone+contract if you take one of the monthly contracts with iPhone.

I'm not talking about a contract. When you buy the iPhone outright on PAYG you get a PAYG SIM with it (on a PAYG tariff, i.e. no contract) that comes with unlimited web+wifi. Then you just pick which PAYG tariff and topup however you like. So if you don't use it as a phone at all, you don't top up at all (and you still get free web+wifi)

Aada

Part of the furniture
I'm not talking about a contract. When you buy the iPhone outright on PAYG you get a PAYG SIM with it (on a PAYG tariff, i.e. no contract) that comes with unlimited web+wifi. Then you just pick which PAYG tariff and topup however you like. So if you don't use it as a phone at all, you don't top up at all (and you still get free web+wifi)

What are pay and go tariffs like these days? I use about 600 texts a
month how much would I need to top up each month to get 600 texts/100 mins?

Yeah I did get a simcard with it but not used it but if the PAYG tariffs are good these days I could use that instead if it saves me any extra cash?

You seem clues up on PAYG so if you could help it would be appreciated :)

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Have HTC fixed/hidden the shockingly bad Windows Mobile interface? I've had 3 HTC's as my last phones, need them for work stuff but they've all had fucking dire interfaces. Plus they've been totally shit and slow. Also in order to hang up the phone I have to press hang up about 3.5 billion times.

Aada

Part of the furniture
Have HTC fixed/hidden the shockingly bad Windows Mobile interface? I've had 3 HTC's as my last phones, need them for work stuff but they've all had fucking dire interfaces. Plus they've been totally shit and slow. Also in order to hang up the phone I have to press hang up about 3.5 billion times.

Pretty much the reason I didn't get the pro2 it still felt slow like my previous htc's.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
meh it's still there. also, sometimes the switchover between the 3d touch or whatever it's called and winmo happens at odd times. the phone is otherwise pretty snappy. I can only compare with my mate's Xperia and Yoni's htc diamond, but it's faster and much more stable than both of those.

Pretty much the reason I didn't get the pro2 it still felt slow like my previous htc's.
really? mine's pretty snappy tbh. I wonder if I can benchmark it somehow? Any ideas?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom