Hero RvR/PvE Spec....

Tsabo

Fledgling Freddie
Best Hero spec for a Hero wanting to go RvR and PvE...

Have been told 50 Sheild 50 LW 28 blades, but would this not be better going 42 Sheild 50LW 28 blades rest in parry?

Discuss and offer other specs pls :)

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
Tsabo said:
Best Hero spec for a Hero wanting to go RvR and PvE...

Have been told 50 Sheild 50 LW 28 blades, but would this not be better going 42 Sheild 50LW 28 blades rest in parry?

Discuss and offer other specs pls :)

The definitive Hero slambot spec is 50/50/28(?), i have yet to be convinced otherwise.

Of all the hero's i know, this is without a doubt the strongest in RvR (some would say 50 CS instead of 50 LW, but thats really about personal preference).

For PvE, 42 shield is plenty and the extra parry makes a big difference, but parry in RvR really is a minor spec.

For RvR spec up moblock and your a defensive blocking machine, add det to reduce CC to almost nothing and you will always be there to protect&slam, savin yer healers and mages, while still being able to slap the crap out of other "tanks".

Hero's roll may change somewhat come Frontiers, may be worth bearing this in mind.

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
I would just add that 42 shield is worth considering (note... im not saying its better, just worth considering...)

Although 50 shield is the most favoured spec at the moment. Heres what you get for those last 400 spec points:-

a). lvl 50 shield move, which is an after block reactive stun that lasts a bit longer than slam and takes less end to do.
b). 4% better blocking (0.5% per spec point).

With a good bard and a backpack of end potions / end regen pots I dont find end use an issue.
A second or so longer on the 'brutalise' stunn is nice, but hardly essential, most 50shield tanks will end up slamming anyway, after block reactive is only usefull if an enemy tank is hitting something you are guarding or yourself (and both would be mistakes on their part).
4% better blocking is about the same as one level of MoB. Nice but one RA could make up this loss.

You gotta balance the above with what you could get out of parry or blades with an extra 400 spec points... Theres no doubt that 50 shield makes you a better defensive tank, just a question of if its woth nerfing your 1h / parry for the diminsed returns the last 8 points of shield give you.

Good luck whatever you chose.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Tallen said:
Hero's roll may change somewhat come Frontiers, may be worth bearing this in mind.

from reading the whines on VN boards a hero's role is a door breaker and thats about it, but we will have to see.

Tsabo

Fledgling Freddie
Ok from looking into it I think I'm going to decide on this...

42 Sheild
50 LW
30 Parry
25 Blades

I don't see the need to do 3 extra in blades when 25 is the highest style I get and I will be using LW as my damage anyway, only really want the 25 in blades wen im being a blok bot.

42 Sheild as 50 seems too much wen i can blok myself alot more with 30 in parry rather than 8 in sheild.

Does this seem a good enuff spec for an RvR AND PvE Hero?

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
Tsabo said:
42 Sheild
50 LW
30 Parry
25 Blades

Does this seem a good enuff spec for an RvR AND PvE Hero?

It is a good strong spec and will work well in both PvE and RvR.

I do think that after playing it in rvr for some time you will want to respec to 50 shield though, most who have played this spec (that i know of) do eventually.

Arlone

Fledgling Freddie
I was previously specced 42 shield / 50 LW / 39 pierce on my hero. Respecced to 50 shield / 50 LW / 2X pierce tho and couldn't be happier ;)

Shield was more or less useless at 42 for RvR imo. Had to retry slams 2-3 times every time and I hardly blocked anything at all while guarding people. Obviously there is a "hidden" shieldskill cause the bump I got when respeccing from 42 to 50 was huge. Nowdays most slams land directly and I block much more when guarding.

2X pierce works just as well as 39 for me. I mostly use the shield anyway or bring out the LW when I need/want to do damage.

Eredrin

Fledgling Freddie
I would say that a "split" spec like this, with LW and shield, gives u an disadvantage in pve though, since when u use your shield you do very low dmg, and using your LW you have next to no defense. Ideal pve spec should be 50 1hand/shield or LW/parry, last one isn't very viable in rvr these days tho.
Just my opinion :)

Omega

Fledgling Freddie
I was 42 shield for a long time, respeced to 50, still with the same amount of MoB I block a LOT more, well worth going 50 shield imo.

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
Arlone said:
Shield was more or less useless at 42 for RvR imo. Had to retry slams 2-3 times every time and I hardly blocked anything at all while guarding people. Obviously there is a "hidden" shieldskill cause the bump I got when respeccing from 42 to 50 was huge. Nowdays most slams land directly and I block much more when guarding.

Dunno how you could find that. 42-50 shield makes 4% difference = around one level of MoB. I block/slam fine (tested against high rr well sc'ed opponenents many times, they are often amazed at how well I slam). Slamming is more dependant on your dex skill, perhaps you had crap SCing & your realm rank was very low when you hit 50? Thats the only thing that would make that big a difference. Many tanks better than me have hit higher rr with 42 shield.

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
Eredrin said:
I would say that a "split" spec like this, with LW and shield, gives u an disadvantage in pve though, since when u use your shield you do very low dmg, and using your LW you have next to no defense. Ideal pve spec should be 50 1hand/shield or LW/parry, last one isn't very viable in rvr these days tho.
Just my opinion :)

As a tank in pve (not soloer), all you need to do is taunt and not take too much pain (perhaps guard if the mages are trigger happy or your shroom abusing) damage from shield isnt an issue we dont kill mobs with slam ;) 6 blades is enough to be an effective pve tank ;)

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
Eredrin said:
Ideal pve spec should be 50 1hand/shield or LW/parry

Anything more than taunt is a waste in pve unless you want to solo, but a solo hero is better off speccing 50 lw/50(42) shield for slam/LW positionals will take down a mob much faster than LW/parry specced.

If you want to spec LW/parry, roll a champ.

Neither of these are ideal for a hero in pve.

Garax

Fledgling Freddie
Boni said:
Dunno how you could find that. 42-50 shield makes 4% difference = around one level of MoB. I block/slam fine (tested against high rr well sc'ed opponenents many times, they are often amazed at how well I slam). Slamming is more dependant on your dex skill, perhaps you had crap SCing & your realm rank was very low when you hit 50? Thats the only thing that would make that big a difference. Many tanks better than me have hit higher rr with 42 shield.

I used to be use the old 42 shield spec, and was perfectly happy with it, as back in the day a hero wasn't on guard duty, we used to run round twattin mages (most of us wouldnt be seen dead with a large shield either, just needed a small shield for faster slam/switching to 2h for damage), etc. But since a hero's job is now to keep his squishies alive, I respec'd to 50 shield, there is a noticeable difference with blocking for your support and theres no way I would go back to 42 shield.

Tsabo

Fledgling Freddie
Boni said:
As a tank in pve (not soloer), all you need to do is taunt and not take too much pain (perhaps guard if the mages are trigger happy or your shroom abusing) damage from shield isnt an issue we dont kill mobs with slam ;) 6 blades is enough to be an effective pve tank ;)

I was very tempted to go just enough so I got the taunt style meaning I could spec more in parry/sheild. I dont know hib that well but i imagine you would use pbae a hell of alot like alb do, and if you use tanks, you are likely to have BMs doing the damage while a sheild tank holds agro...

But with having only 6 or 25 in blades will i do enough damage assuming im fully SCed, to hold the agro from pbae or BMs?

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
Tsabo said:
I was very tempted to go just enough so I got the taunt style meaning I could spec more in parry/sheild. I dont know hib that well but i imagine you would use pbae a hell of alot like alb do, and if you use tanks, you are likely to have BMs doing the damage while a sheild tank holds agro...

But with having only 6 or 25 in blades will i do enough damage assuming im fully SCed, to hold the agro from pbae or BMs?

You wont be able to out-aggro a BM, they hit faster and with 2 weapons at once, but a BM is a tank, so they will be tanking one mob while you tank another (plus you can guard them, making them incredibly hard to hit). If you taunt and they use positional styles, they will still draw aggro due to sheer damage output.

But yes, taunt is all you really need to hold aggro in pve.

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
Tsabo said:

With hibs love of pb, and then focus pulling and now shrooms, no one would really consider a BM a viable source of dmg for pve (even though it is higher than a hero). Tanks are there to hold the mob, most BMs would be used as primary tank to hold a mob the same as a hero, rather than as a light tank as they are intended.

6 blades is fine, the taunt moves gives good agro, much stronger than the dmg of a non taunt style of almost any level. Some people speculate that 10 is better so you get a detaunt and can pass the agro to another tank if need be, and of course more blades = more styles / weaponskill etc. But yep, 6 blades is enough for pve taunting.

Aggro from pb is shared between group members, so funnily enough that luri doing 1k dmg doesnt get as much aggro as they should... dont worry about other people getting aggro, its all too easy for a mage to get aggro, its their job to be skillfull enough to work out when to press their one button ;)

RaiztliN

Fledgling Freddie
With my own Hero, I'm classic specced at 42 shield 50 celticspear and 39 parry.. I tried a Hero with LW insted of CS, and still wondering whats best..

This spec is something I always wanted to try, but never had time and money to get a full respec,
42 shield - Slam ofc
50 LW - Ani (backbased 9sec stun style afaik) Crush / Slash damage
39 Pierce - the 4 style combo thing, can't remember names, Thrust damage

Makes you good both offensive and deffensive in RvR, and give you decent damage in PvE also, plus you have all 3 damage styles availible (Chrush, Slash, Thrust).
Don't know if it works, never tried it my self.. Any comments? :)

[EDIT]
Btw, your avater Garax.. :worthy:

Qaewin

One of Freddy's beloved
Boni said:
Dunno how you could find that. 42-50 shield makes 4% difference = around one level of MoB.

MoB gives you an extra 3% chance to block, this equates to 6 spec points therefore 42 + MoB2 would give you an effective 54 in shield. By this resoning 42-50 is 4% more chance to block.
However, when, whether or not a blow is going to land is decided the weapon skill of the attacker is measured up against the shield skill of the defender (dex and shield spec). Forget + items and rr, and assuming your attacker has 50 slash/sword/whatever and you have 42 shield he is more likely to land his blow than if you have 50 shield. Once this has been calculated you then have 3% extra chance to block. Therfore when blocking, 50 shield is more than 4% extra chance to block over 42 shield.
When my armsman was 50 shield and no MoB he blocked more than when he was 42 + MoB2 (+ a higher rr).
Therefore I would advise going 50 shield, in pve with shield equiped and 2x blades i have no problem taunting deep purps, my guard is better and i slam more often. If solo you hit less hard but block more and parry slightly less, at the end of the day you will still be able to kill the same mobs and will die to the same mobs.

Omega

Fledgling Freddie
Qaewin said:
MoB gives you an extra 3% chance to block, this equates to 6 spec points therefore 42 + MoB2 would give you an effective 54 in shield. By this resoning 42-50 is 4% more chance to block.
However, when, whether or not a blow is going to land is decided the weapon skill of the attacker is measured up against the shield skill of the defender (dex and shield spec). Forget + items and rr, and assuming your attacker has 50 slash/sword/whatever and you have 42 shield he is more likely to land his blow than if you have 50 shield. Once this has been calculated you then have 3% extra chance to block. Therfore when blocking, 50 shield is more than 4% extra chance to block over 42 shield.

So thats the maths :) Can only agree from experiance 50 = you block shit loads.

If only I had a screen shot, you would all spec 50....

Died close to apk emain, got a rez, used purge, started running, everything else down, im on 10% HP...great...2 scouts start to open fire on me...I did not think I would even kill one of them...there is one either side of me, triangle position, so I just stand there and trust in my shield....Blocked everything for about 1min that I was actually pissing my self laughing at the PC, and spamming group chat and emoting the scouts. I don't know why I guess they were unbuffed or something, but im not joking when I recon I blocked 20+ arrows before I died.

The nice thing was the scouts came over after I died and /salute /bow /laugh was nice they appreciated, what I think was a very lucky moment for me, a fluke of the statistics but it was awesome while it lasted.

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
I think Ascahisien tested 50 shield with moblock 4(?think it was 4) on engage on an artifact mob (EoY mob i think it was) and was untouched after something like 80 or 100 attacks (think he lost count after that, lazy git :)).

Be interested to know if a 42 shield hero has tried something similar.

As for CS vs LW i really think its down to personal preference.

Reno

One of Freddy's beloved
Boni said:
Dexterity applies multiplicatively (sp?) to your block rate. Purely on spec there might be just a 4% difference in block rate but after dexterity is added that difference will be larger.

Danita

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
Omega said:
So thats the maths :)

Well not quite, but I would be interested if anyone did have the exact formula around. A lot of people are saying the same thing, and im not doubting you guys, just interested in what are the real facts!

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
Qaewin said:
Forget + items and rr, and assuming your attacker has 50 slash/sword/whatever and you have 42 shield he is more likely to land his blow than if you have 50 shield.

Thats the bit of maths that needs filling in, we all agree that 50 shield blocks more than 42, but by how much...

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
Reno said:
Dexterity applies multiplicatively (sp?) to your block rate. Purely on spec there might be just a 4% difference in block rate but after dexterity is added that difference will be larger.

Danita

difference as a percent (assuming no mob) would stay the same (both have same dex), although its probably fase to say that difference in shield weaponskill is directly proportional to chance to block....

My magic 4% was just pulled from other threads I read where people roughly agreed that 1 shield spec points = roughly 0.5% more chance to block (around lvls 42-50) given typical conditions...

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
Tallen said:
I think Ascahisien tested 50 shield with moblock 4(?think it was 4) on engage on an artifact mob (EoY mob i think it was) and was untouched after something like 80 or 100 attacks (think he lost count after that, lazy git :)).

Be interested to know if a 42 shield hero has tried something similar.

Ive not tried engaging EoY, ill test it next time im up there, im usualy bashing pillars with FF'er. My own spec has LOTS of parry, I suspect that I would parry the few that got past shield, but im interested to know :)

Pin

One of Freddy's beloved
Qaewin said:
When my armsman was 50 shield and no MoB he blocked more than when he was 42 + MoB2 (+ a higher rr).
Sorry Q, but this is just false.

Boni said:
Ive not tried engaging EoY, ill test it next time im up there, im usualy bashing pillars with FF'er. My own spec has LOTS of parry, I suspect that I would parry the few that got past shield, but im interested to know :)
Parry is checked before block, so you won't be 'parrying what gets past shield' ;)
I haven't tried engaging Sililia either - I beat the bird down to 0% before the group drops half the pillars ;)

If you want to know the exact difference - go test it.

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
Pin said:
Parry is checked before block, so you won't be 'parrying what gets past shield' ;)

oops, gah, well ill block the few I dont parry then :D

Garax

Fledgling Freddie
Boni said:

I have tried engaging Sililia and with 50+18 in shield and MoB4 with just 6 in parry, i didnt get hit once.

edit: oh i tell a fib, i did when the bard strayed too far away and my end ran out. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom