Have you ever cheated (varying degrees) in DAoC?

Cheated in DAoC?

• Never Cheated (please dont select anything else with this)

Votes: 329 57.3%
  • Speedhack

Votes: 12 2.1%
  • Radar

Votes: 34 5.9%
  • Macro (for crafting or any other purpose)

Votes: 113 19.7%
  • Texture bug used in RvR

Votes: 24 4.2%
  • Texture bug used in PvE

Votes: 110 19.2%
  • Other bug / cheat (with minor effect/advantage)

Votes: 75 13.1%
  • Other bug / cheat (with major effect/advantage)

Votes: 15 2.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Megarevs

Loyal Freddie
/faceloc 13 37 when a reaver grappled :>

and the staff trick where you could have tartaros charge and use traldors at the same time

Void959

Fledgling Freddie
If you count runthrough and and strafing as cheating because they're lag exploits, then almost everyone here who's ever RvRd would be guilty. Ironic how many people will happily run thorough casters when solo, yet whine their asses off when they get strafed by casters/support, both are exploiting exactly the same thing.

Hansmoleman

Fledgling Freddie
on camlann i used to go afk under prydwen bridge, and once got levelled for a bit on top of a tent in avalon city :(

nope, never cheated ever. If thought about using macros to skill up my minstrels alch but I couldn't be arsed to learn it, so I gave up on crafting instead :)

Cylian

Fledgling Freddie
tried radar for 2 weeks, didn't like what I saw... quit the game for ~6months until they implemented the anti-radar mechanism. And no, that break wasn't due to GOA, sadly :(

otherwise macros for crafting quick items like pots and hinges, no thanks to RSI (it hurts!)

Marchus

Fledgling Freddie
well, there is a bug, that if u duel with some1; they hit ur life to 1-2%, then u group with him, and u put intercept on him, and u hit him once, so u kill urself, and u will be ported to ur bind stone without loosing con

only used it 4-5 times... :p

and there are some other bugs that I found, but didn't use it

edit: and teh old arti swapping bug! ^^

Levin

Can't get enough of FH
I've never willingly cheated, that much i'm sure of.

Now, it's been a long time since i played my bonedancer in rvr, but i do have a question about this "lag strafing" thing. Reading various bonedancer guides, one of the tips for rvr was to go into melee with your opponent and strafe around him in a circle, while hitting him with your staff and lifetapping every 4 seconds. This would make them confused and make it harder for them to hit you. Plus, it looked hilarious. I remember doing this once when i was level 45-ish and exping in Dodens Gruva, getting attacked by a level 50 paladin. I killed him and was amazed.

Now the question: was i lag strafing by using the tactics above? Or do you need to do something else to make it lag strafing and not just strafing? If i cheated, i honestly did not know it, and i don't see how i could have known it. At the time i had never heard of the concept "lag strafing". I was writing down my victory to playing an OP:ed class and maybe a little skill (i had just learnt how to stay calm in rvr). :)

If it IS considered cheating, i have a followup question: How do you use strafing without cheating? And if it's not possible, why is this feature coded into the game?

Thorwyn

FH is my second home
The only occasion that could be considered "cheating" in my entire DAoC carreer was using the hole in the walls in barrows and AC to get out and port to the bindpoint.

Alliandre

Fledgling Freddie
I just remember in CM, you used to be able to jump down to the bottom instead of taking the ramp down, making it much easier to get down there.. Doubt this was "cheating" as such.

Another thing was when you was down at the bottom, to get out, there used to be a whole in the floor you could get through to get outside without having to run all the way back up to the entrance without dying.

I put no, but I obviously lied if the above were cheating..

evzy

Can't get enough of FH
Some of the little cheats mentioned on here I have never heard about tbh - and its kinda ironic that people have been whining about the DAOC cheat adverts and within a week of em up pops a thread with loads of people commenting on how to cheat and what cheats they have used - great advert noting only 1 person so far I think admits he even got a lil ban...

Bad idea this thread imo tbh.

Ardas Nails

OT Photoshop King
Surprised so many people say they don't cheat because they are afraid of getting caught. I don't cheat because I think its morally wrong, I have never cheated in any online game. (talking more about actual hacks such as Radar etc rather than general bugs you have found)

Elrandhir

Fledgling Freddie
I used the glitch in the wall at Corus when it was there, dunno if that counts =P still I think more or less everyone did that neways "Ported back to bindpoint when going through it, I think if I remember right, was a very long time ago".

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
PBAE on dampwood mites rock one afternoon, 4 years ago, my bad :p

Belomar

Part of the furniture
As Ardas says, this is not about getting caught and losing all the time invested in my characters, for me it is a moral choice. I wouldn't ever cheat in an online game (i.e. where other real players are involved), just out of personal principles.
Cylian said:
tried radar for 2 weeks, didn't like what I saw... quit the game for ~6months until they implemented the anti-radar mechanism. And no, that break wasn't due to GOA, sadly :(
Eh, you used radar? :puke:

Cylian

Fledgling Freddie
Belomar said:
As Ardas says, this is not about getting caught and losing all the time invested in my characters, for me it is a moral choice. I wouldn't ever cheat in an online game (i.e. where other real players are involved), just out of personal principles.Eh, you used radar? :puke:

was an interesting show of perfect U-turns and "skilled" people, wish I would've had fraps at that time.

Dakkath

Can't get enough of FH
Think the only 'naughty' I've ever commited in game was using the old 'holes' in Avalon City to get out of teh zone and back to bind point faster...

That was a long time ago though...

These days, I don't see the need for anyone to cheat... It's not as if enemies are hard to find out in the frontiers or it's hard to xp with well established characters who can easily get PL + leech groups...

DavidH

Part of the furniture
Abused the famous "tent" bug in AC a couple of times. Got caught and got 3 day bay. Haven't done it again on EU servers after that. Just for the record, that is basically the only "cheat" (if you can call it that) I've ever done. I hate cheating in general.

Dukat

Resident Freddy
The day I cheat online will be the day I quit comuter games completely.

While I know I am not as elite as some, I take my gaming very seriously. I believe that your online avatar (be it forum presence, ingame character or whatever), is the moral representation of you on the internet, and so I try to act in the same way that I would act in real life. In my way of thinking, cheating ingame is on a similar level to stealing(or more accurately commiting fraud) IRL.

Ages(as in 10+years) ago I did it in offline games once or twice, used to play C&C and put the money cheat in, but almost immediately I felt as though the game was completely spoiled for me, and from that point on I just couldnt bring myself to do it. I've had games that are too hard for me to play, but I'd rather not play at all than cheat.

Fighting somone in an online game is kinda special to me, I enjoy a good challenge and the idea of giving myself an unfair advantage over everone else is kinda sickening to me.

The very word carry's a bad feeling with it for me now, so as I say, the day I cheat again in any game, on or off line, will be the day that I quit gaming altogether.

(that'd be a "no" then :D)

EDIT: I must say that I'm kinda disappointed to see how many of this community have done it before. I guess its good that they can admit it, and I suppose I was just being too idealistic, but its still a bit of a shock to read some of this stuff.

Dorimor1

Banned
Never cheated and I don't plan to, if I am honest its always been tempting to try out these cheats but I don't want to sacrifice my characters and others enjoyment.

Vladamir

FH is my second home
DavidH said:
Abused the famous "tent" bug in AC a couple of times. Got caught and got 3 day bay. Haven't done it again on EU servers after that. Just for the record, that is basically the only "cheat" (if you can call it that) I've ever done. I hate cheating in general.

Fun days ;)

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Alliandre said:
I just remember in CM, you used to be able to jump down to the bottom instead of taking the ramp down, making it much easier to get down there.. Doubt this was "cheating" as such.

Another thing was when you was down at the bottom, to get out, there used to be a whole in the floor you could get through to get outside without having to run all the way back up to the entrance without dying.

I put no, but I obviously lied if the above were cheating..

i think everyone in hib has used the back door to get out of CM at some point :)

Melachi

Fledgling Freddie
Cylian said:

The radar numbers seem far too low too me, I think when radar first started appearing, the packet sniffer version, it was very widespread, maybe just most of the players from back then don't play anymore.

confused

Can't get enough of FH
I used a texture bug on camlann in aegirs to hide my bb, then when i suddenly saw my bot falling from 1903764m above me I stopped...

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
interesting reading

now we just need the mods to look at the mod panel to see who voted what, and email GOA :p

and for the record, my entire daoc hax0ring history consists of using the holes in the bridge room in barrows and the , er, 3 (?) in Av City a few times ;)

cazno

Fledgling Freddie
I remember very well the funny days on camlann with the /craft hib jumping over the walls in ToA to get away from FG's chasing me. I laughed my ass of when I got like 8 PM's "Ban inc bitch":mad: :p No ban tho, but stopped=)

Cylian

Fledgling Freddie
Melachi said:
The radar numbers seem far too low too me, I think when radar first started appearing, the packet sniffer version, it was very widespread, maybe just most of the players from back then don't play anymore.

indeed, was horrible at the time... but soooo much fun watching all those people panic on enemy contact when the anti-radar stuff went live :D

Melachi

Fledgling Freddie
Mabs said:
now we just need the mods to look at the mod panel to see who voted what, and email GOA :p

All talk like that will do, is make some people not vote honestly. I hope that isn't your goal and all it really is to show you moral high-ground.

At time of posting this, 43% of FH DAoC posters claim to have cheated in DAoC! :O

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom