Games Halo: Reach

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Oh dear, if this is your arguement, Wazz is going to mop the floor with you :(

nath

Fledgling Freddie
I did say more thought was required, it's most definitely not one of the top ones.

edit: Oh for fucks sake - duh. Half-life 2. Amazing single player, distinctly average multiplayer (added in later, as far as I remember?). Sure, it spawned CS:S and a number of other things, but they're different games on the same engine. Doesn't count.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Elite Force was great, meg hated it because he was shit at it. Great SP, and the multiplay was basically quake 3 with new skins, it rocked.

Gears of War, great SP and good MP.

Call of Duty: MW - hate it as much as you will, it has a solid, involving SP and it's MP record speaks for itself.

Goldeneye, Perfect Dark. Brilliant at both.

Max Payne, great SP, no MP.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
I wasn't shite at EF it was just bog standard with a crap storyline. It's about on a par with Quake 4.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I remember you being pretty shite :)

Basically you just suck at FPS games :) Especially Goldeneye :)

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Serious Sam 1 & 2. Great fun single player and, as far as I'm aware, really not up to much multi. I tried coop and it was alright but SP is where it's at.

Star Wars: Republic Commando. Underrated classic.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
From a couple of hours play last night, the single player wasn't too bad but the multiplayer was horrific. Very much a rental game or a bargain bin game later on.

Bym

One of Freddy's beloved
Well, was going to buy it for this weekend but a few of these posts (especially the last) stopped me! Anyone actually think it's worth forking out the £40ish? Friends making me feel like I'm missing out (or should I just go out and buy MW2)...

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
That's only from a couple of hours though, I don't own an Xbox and played it at my brother in laws, he likes it but he knows nothing about games :)

leviathane

Part of the furniture
Well, was going to buy it for this weekend but a few of these posts (especially the last) stopped me! Anyone actually think it's worth forking out the £40ish? Friends making me feel like I'm missing out (or should I just go out and buy MW2)...

nah man, i used my game points to get it to like 25. I'd wait awhile. New f1 or medal of honor look like they could be worth the money.

p.s. Red faction, awesome sp, awesome mp. (first 1 that is.)

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
Well I'm thoroughly enjoying the single player and multiplayer. I think people look for too much these days, notice most the 'good' multiplayer games people mention are ancient.

Lethul

FH is my second home
Well I'm thoroughly enjoying the single player and multiplayer. I think people look for too much these days, notice most the 'good' multiplayer games people mention are ancient.

quakewooooooooooorld!

there we can talk genre-defining FPS

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!

Being old doesn't stop a game being good, look at CS, it's still played because it's very good. There has been a lack of great MP FPS games for a long time, average games just don't cut it.

nath

Fledgling Freddie

BFBC2 is pretty recent, as are the Left for Deads.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber

I think that probably says something about modern games and their target audience.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Personally don't think any game is worth 40 notes anymore. It takes a lot to get me to part with "release day money" nowadays.

Edit: Welcome back btw Bym :)
Re-edit: Left 4 Dead is awesome and Left 4 Dead 2 is also damn good.

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
Being old doesn't stop a game being good, look at CS, it's still played because it's very good. There has been a lack of great MP FPS games for a long time, average games just don't cut it.

Never said it did Ch3t, just pointing out all the ones mentioned pre my post were old. And all the games people mentioned post my post, I own, so don't disagre in the slightest.

I think that probably says something about modern games and their target audience.

Agreed. Everyone already knows this though, the majority of games are dumbed down to appeal to a larger audience.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Not really seeing anything that's great 'hardcore' FPS where single player is great and MP is poop.

Max Payne isn't an FPS, so that doesn't count.
Serious Sam's co-op is bloody great.
Left 4 Dead are basically multiplayer games.

No idea what painkiller is though. At the moment, my point still stands I think.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
You seem to be ignoring a lot of them, also how do you define "hardcore" fps?

I have to disagree about Serious Sam's coop, it's fun but nothing spectacular. It's just the single player and some other people are there. The thing that makes it fun is the single player side.

When I mentioned l4d up there I wasn't talking about this thing, I was just responding to Billargh.

Painkiller is very much like Serious Sam, but better in my opinion.

You also missed/ignored my comment about Half-Life 2 :).

Yaka

Part of the furniture
serious sam co-op was great log az the other player loved fucking around

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
'Hardcore' FPS - an FPS game where basically the only thing you can do is shoot people, or things. No fancy levelling up, inventories, magics etc.

So I'm not sure HL2 features in that. I didn't play it, but from what I saw there was a lot of fiddling about with things such as gravity guns to move objects around etc, so not sure where it comes.

With Serious Sam you'll find a lot of people find the co-op great. You're about the only one that I've seen that's "meh" about it.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
'Hardcore' FPS - an FPS game where basically the only thing you can do is shoot people, or things. No fancy levelling up, inventories, magics etc.

So I'm not sure HL2 features in that. I didn't play it, but from what I saw there was a lot of fiddling about with things such as gravity guns to move objects around etc, so not sure where it comes.

With Serious Sam you'll find a lot of people find the co-op great. You're about the only one that I've seen that's "meh" about it.

I'd say Half-Life 2 does feature as a hardcore FPS. Yes, it has a grav gun and a very good physics engine but there's no levelling and it's ultimately a straight forward shooter.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Not really seeing anything that's great 'hardcore' FPS where single player is great and MP is poop.

Max Payne isn't an FPS, so that doesn't count.
Serious Sam's co-op is bloody great.
Left 4 Dead are basically multiplayer games.

No idea what painkiller is though. At the moment, my point still stands I think.

Halflife 1 and 2

Great single player, shit multiplayer (CS doesn't count)

Halflife was ground breaking, halflife 2 was better than most FPS games and felt pretty average compared to halflife.

Gagging for a half life 3.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber

Half life 2 could have done without the gravity gun, it was just the devs showing off, while good fun it didn't define the game.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Not one game has come close to having the same impact on me as QuakeWorld. This was the game that changed my life completely and I have yet to find a game that made me laugh as much as QW.

Totally awesome and I loved the late night MP fests with the rocket launchers, running round a corner straight into the path of a rocket. Awesome times. I think the problem is that a lot of MP has gotten a little too complicated now.

QW was different, start the game, join a map, kill or be killed. Pure and simple.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
nath this is a pointless discussion since wazz moved the goalposts early on with his only fps games without rpg elements rule.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom