Question Gym Users: What's your routine?

Vladamir

FH is my second home
Full body routines FTW, I hate bodypart splits now.

What you doing Chet - just bench squat dead x3 per week?

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Squat, Bench, Deads MON

Hack Sqauts / or other variation, Bent over rows, Incline bench WED

Squat, Bench, Deads FRI

Plus, some stomach, dips or pull up's depending on how I feel at the end.

Cardio Tue and Thurs.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Full body routines FTW, I hate bodypart splits now.

What you doing Chet - just bench squat dead x3 per week?

Scratch my previous, me and my cousin have decided to do the stronglifts 5x5 instead.

Day one was good, feeling quite sore (in that good, my muscles have been worked hard way). Eaten right for the last two days, and the supplements haven been taken properly too. Got to just make sure I keep it up for 12 weeks now!

StrongLifts 5x5: How to Gain Raw Muscle and Brute Strength | StrongLifts.com

Killswitch

FH is my second home
All this 5x5 stuff sounds far too much like hard work. This morning was a 6:30am start (thanks Ch3tan :p), 10 minutes warmup on the bike, 60 minutes on the X-Trainer and a whirl round the resistance machines.

The last thing I need to do is gain 25lbs :p

Vasconcelos

Part of the furniture
All this 5x5 stuff sounds far too much like hard work. This morning was a 6:30am start (thanks Ch3tan :p), 10 minutes warmup on the bike, 60 minutes on the X-Trainer and a whirl round the resistance machines.

The last thing I need to do is gain 25lbs :p

jump rope jump rope jump rope jump rope!

Calo

Part of the furniture
Scratch my previous, me and my cousin have decided to do the stronglifts 5x5 instead.

Day one was good, feeling quite sore (in that good, my muscles have been worked hard way). Eaten right for the last two days, and the supplements haven been taken properly too. Got to just make sure I keep it up for 12 weeks now!

StrongLifts 5x5: How to Gain Raw Muscle and Brute Strength | StrongLifts.com

What supplements do you take?

I want to take something to gain a bit of fat but i have no idea what i should do...

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
fat, fat????!!!!

I take 1 full portion, or 2 smaller portions (which equal 2/3rds of a full portion) or USN Muscle fuel mass everyday. I'm starting back on creatine. Apart from that, I take my vitamins and eat healthy (lots of fruit and veg). Important to keep healthy when you are running your body down so much with training.

~Latency~

Can't get enough of FH
a lot of people rave about fish oil being really good for recovery... makes me fooking oily tho :E

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Milk + Oats = fart machine

And if you add a protein shake in the mix, you could be prosecuted for chemical weapons possesion in more than 25 countries.

I give Lindesy a lot of grief whenever I have a protein shake. I get amazing farts.

haggered

Loyal Freddie
Evening all,

I've been following project swole routine for about 9 weeks. (link at bottom) Taking a week off-ish this week and eating chocolate and playing Bfbc 2 to relax and find new routine. Found swole to be really good; good variety of exercises with interesting supersets and hirt and hiit. Nice principles overall.

I tried the strong lifts one ages ago but found it too boring and it didn't suit me. I don't really like bb chest press and struggle with heavy squats due to torn cartilage in knee. Not a good one for me.

Anyone know any other programs? this thread seems to have turned into a 5x5 thread. I have no spotter so 5x5 isn't good for me.

Gain Muscle! Werewolf Training: A Weightlifting Routine to Gain Muscle | Project Swole

adam

ps anyone recommend a weight gainer? I buy impact whey protein from myprotein.com opinions?

Vladamir

FH is my second home
Weight gainer = clean cals in the ratio that suits you.

Oats, whey, fruit portion, olive oil = done!

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
It depends on how much you can stomach. Oats + whey is the cheapest way for sure, but it can feel very heavy, and not everyone can deal that well with uncooked oats.

I've tried some very high calorie mass gainers - "serious mass" for example. Which will make you sick, and has far too much sugar. It did give me massive gains, but it's near impossible to stay on it for long.

I currently use USN, either the STS, Mass or Anabolic muscle fuel's. I find them just the right amount of calories, and easy on the stomach. You are looking at £50 for 5kg.

So just did day two of my 5x5 program. Got to say my legs were fucked all day today, but I still managed the squats quite easily. My technique for bent over row is shit, so I'm going to have to lower the weight till I get it right. I haven't eaten as much as I have in the last three days at any stage in the last 6 months; 5x5 has given me a huge appetite back.

edit:// Vlad, I disagree that a weight gainer = clean cals. If you are starting out or are a hard gainer, then you'll need dirty calories as well. As long as you are working hard and doing the minimum amount of cardio, you'll not have too many fat issues.

Vladamir

FH is my second home
What do dirty cals offer over clean ones though?

Regardless of where you are on the experience spectrum, there's no need for sugar-laden weight gainers IMO.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Faster weight gains, they burn faster so you can eat more compared to clean cals.

Vasconcelos

Part of the furniture
5x5 routines, like Bill Starrr's, are more aimed to strenght gaining rather than mass gaining imo.

Killswitch

FH is my second home
Quick Update for anyone still interested :p

I'm now doing;

10min reclined bike warmup
60mins X-Trainer (approx 750cals - 4km)
1 mile on the treadmill (10 minutes currently - aiming for 6 eventually)
50 reps each on 4 machines (leg press, bicep curls, some tricep thing and chest press) all pretty low weights (think 30kg for biceps/triceps, 60kg for chest press and about 120kg for leg press)

I've lost just over a stone since I started so I'm down to about 17stone (109kg) now. Still aiming to get down to 15.

I'm going to have to mix up that routine soon, the X-Trainer work is getting a little easy, even with sprints mixed in.

Vasconcelos

Part of the furniture
Some thoughts

Quick Update for anyone still interested :p

I'm now doing;

10min reclined bike warmup (for warming up, 5min is enuff)
60mins X-Trainer (approx 750cals - 4km) - (tip: sometimes its more about the intensity of the training rather than the lenght: try see how it goes with 45min at 75% intensity)
1 mile on the treadmill (10 minutes currently - aiming for 6 eventually) - (same as above)
50 reps each on 4 machines (leg press, bicep curls, some tricep thing and chest press) all pretty low weights (think 30kg for biceps/triceps, 60kg for chest press and about 120kg for leg press) - (damn you are strong!30kg curl biceps its serious, same for 120kg leg press and 60kg bench press all with 50 repetitions???!!!! :worthy:)

I've lost just over a stone since I started so I'm down to about 17stone (109kg) now. Still aiming to get down to 15. (how about your diet program?)

I'm going to have to mix up that routine soon, the X-Trainer work is getting a little easy, even with sprints mixed in.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Late to the party been out for 6 months so had to start again on conditioning (boo)

Monday - Legs, Abs
Tuesday - rest
Wednesday - Football
Thursday - Chest, Back, Biceps
Friday - Tri, Lat, Shoulders
Saturday - rest
Sunday - Football

Killswitch

FH is my second home
Some thoughts

Well...in terms of the strength thing, you have to remember that it's a resistance machine so it's much easier than free weights and also the bicep and tricep machines use both arms, so it's probably similar(ish) to a 30kg bar, not 30kg per arm. The chest press is a seated machine, so I doubt it comes close to the difficulty of a 60kg bench press with a bar.

I have got pretty massive legs, mainly from carrying my fat body around! I can do 10 reps of 120kg with one leg but I worry I'm going to hurt myself!

In terms of the intensity, I work hard enough over the 60 minutes to get my heart-rate to between 160-170 and keep it there. I'm not sure I'd want it much higher than that, although it does tend to peak up to 180-185 during sprints and climbs.

The running is just something I'm doing for myself, not really to get fitter. Eventually I'd like to move to using the treadmill for my cardio (and also go running) but I find it really hard on my knees and back right now because of the weight I'm carrying.

Diet is going pretty well (if you avoid the massive pizza I had at my mate's last night :p). Cut out fast food, chocolate and crisps. Eating lots of fruit, cereal, pasta, chicken and suchlike. My diet isn't perfect, but it's a lot better than it was before!!

:D

Vasconcelos

Part of the furniture
Diet is going pretty well (if you avoid the massive pizza I had at my mate's last night :p). Cut out fast food, chocolate and crisps. Eating lots of fruit, cereal, pasta, chicken and suchlike. My diet isn't perfect, but it's a lot better than it was before!!
:D

'tis ok to have a burguer or pizza from time to time. The body also needs fat to work.

The best advancement you can make is by removing sweets, chocolates, pastries, snacks, deep fried food and sodas from your diet. Its huuuuuuuuge, much more important than a "cookie cutter pineapple diet"

Vladamir

FH is my second home
Late to the party been out for 6 months so had to start again on conditioning (boo)

Monday - Legs, Abs
Tuesday - rest
Wednesday - Football
Thursday - Chest, Back, Biceps
Friday - Tri, Lat, Shoulders
Saturday - rest
Sunday - Football

Switch Thurs and Fri to;

Chest/Shoulders/Tri's

Back/Bi's

Imo!

Chronictank

FH is my second home
I used to do it that way but the equipment in the gym took so long to get on i moved it to the next day ,not ideal i know but ow well :)

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Well done Killswitch! Try not get to hung up on weight loss. Dieting and exercise isn't all about your weight, it's about feeling healthier, being able to do more - and you seem to be making progress on that front.

You will slow down your weight loss with the resistance exercise, muscle weights more than fat remember, but wouldn't you rather be big and toned, than big and fat?

Me and my cousin missed 2 workout days over the last two weeks, but we've kept to our routine, just had longer rest periods between the days. It feels good, making good progressive gains each workout (Stronglifts makes you add 2.5kg total weight to each exercise a day).

Vasconcelos

Part of the furniture
Well done Killswitch! Try not get to hung up on weight loss. Dieting and exercise isn't all about your weight, it's about feeling healthier, being able to do more - and you seem to be making progress on that front.

You will slow down your weight loss with the resistance exercise, muscle weights more than fat remember, but wouldn't you rather be big and toned, than big and fat?

Me and my cousin missed 2 workout days over the last two weeks, but we've kept to our routine, just had longer rest periods between the days. It feels good, making good progressive gains each workout (Stronglifts makes you add 2.5kg total weight to each exercise a day).

Even for big muscles such as pectorals, back or femoral?
I use to increase 5kg each week 'till i approach my maximum when i start increasing 2,5kg (i.e in bench press the more i approach the 45kg (x2) mark i start increasing 2,5kg)

For smaller muscles such as biceps, I increase 2,5kg then 1,25kg.

PS: weekly increments

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Yes, daily increments, stronglifts 5x5 consists of two routines A and B.

A:

Squats, Bench press, Bent over row, pull ups

b:

Squats, Overhead press, Deadlifts.

You do alternating days, so A then B then A then B etc.

Increase your previous days weight by 2.5kg for each exercise. You only increase when you complete a 5 x 5 of that exercise, you deload by 20% if you fail to do 5x5 3 days in a row.

Vasconcelos

Part of the furniture
Yes, daily increments, stronglifts 5x5 consists of two routines A and B.

A:

Squats, Bench press, Bent over row, pull ups

b:

Squats, Overhead press, Deadlifts.

You do alternating days, so A then B then A then B etc.

Increase your previous days weight by 2.5kg for each exercise. You only increase when you complete a 5 x 5 of that exercise, you deload by 20% if you fail to do 5x5 3 days in a row.

Well when i do 5x5 i use % based on my maximum weight lift for 1 repetition instead fixed increments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom