Question Gym Users: What's your routine?

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Yes, if you don't want to be bothered, wear headphones and switch off. If you are in a free weight area it's just the done thing to give advise. It's not posturing or one upmanship, a decent gym will be full of people who understand everyone is at a different level. But it's criminal in my opinion to 1) not give help if someone is doing something wrong, it could be dangerous, and 2) to ignore good advise out of hand.

Nate

FH is my second home
That is a good point Ch3t, I suppose it's the way it's conveyed that is the issue though. Someone saying "lol dude, you're doing it all wrong" while shouting his thousandth push up may seem like a nob.

I'm thinking about starting to do cock push ups, remember hearing about them that they can make you stronger and with the right training able to carry beverages without using hands.

Vladamir

FH is my second home
TBH I keep myself to myself if someones form is shit, unless they specifically ask me to critique it, otherwise I'd spend as much time sorting other people out as doing my own workout :p

Himse

FH is my second home
I do need to go to the gym, but fuck I can't deal with all the meatheads 'HOW MUCH U BENCH?!?!?' really gets to me that it seems to be like a thing to be accepted into society to go to the gym and lift heavy weights.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I do need to go to the gym, but fuck I can't deal with all the meatheads 'HOW MUCH U BENCH?!?!?' really gets to me that it seems to be like a thing to be accepted into society to go to the gym and lift heavy weights.

So you aren't a member of a gym, yet you are assuming that is what you are going to get? Right.

leviathane

Part of the furniture
haha, can't say i've ever had that happen at my gym. Most people keep themselves to themselves, occasionally they'll ask for a spot but thats fine.

Chosen

Resident Freddy

Try to find a gym where the members are more grown ups. Since some gyms should have a age limit, that way you don't have to be with all the kids, only caring about how much they lift in bench!

Himse

FH is my second home
So you aren't a member of a gym, yet you are assuming that is what you are going to get? Right.

I go to Uni with a bunch of gym nuts.

Literally all day, every day, about what they all bench now, etcetc.

Thats why i have a bad assumption.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home

Loads of meatheads at my gym. None of them do this. I'm probably half their size or less.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Just because you guys have a nice gym, doesn't mean that every gym in the world is helpful musclefairies galore.

There is a reason why people don't get so easily gymmed and if someone posts a problem regarding meatheads being lollerific, post advice and not denial.

BEcause honestly, when you deny it happening, you sound like one of them :p

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
But he hasn't been. He's making judgments on stuff without the information. We are providing the information that IRL, those people are rare.

It's not hard, stop being awkward.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Not the point, as said, offer advice on how to deal with such a situation(as you are gym experts), don't try and make the gymscene look like something it's not ;)

Nate

FH is my second home
I do often wonder about joining a gym but don't like the idea of forking out all that money for it. I can quite easily go for a run/ride around here. Living out in the sticks means I have to travel a way to get to the gym, would be great if it was just a bike ride away but can't find any local ones.

Do they often have contracts which you have to do a year or so? I was with Fitness First as I got a discount at some point and that was the game. What's the amount you guys pay for your gym?

pikeh

Resident Freddy
Best gym experience: A built black guy called Leroy running into the gym with a MASSIVE boombox (Literally the size of a bench). He put on some incredibly loud club music and commentated on everyone's performance in the gym. My mate was doing squats and Leroy was in his face, pushing him to do more.
'NICE FORM MATE'
'FUCKING CURL THAT WEIGHT!'

legendary.

leviathane

Part of the furniture
Do they often have contracts which you have to do a year or so? I was with Fitness First as I got a discount at some point and that was the game. What's the amount you guys pay for your gym?

Depends on the gym really, I go to fitness4less, which is £15/month. Sort of a rolling monthly contract, where you can cancel anytime you want. I personally wouldn't pay for a year membership

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Soon I'll be members to two gyms, both free (one through work, one through residence).

tierk

Part of the furniture
Best gym experience: A built black guy called Leroy running into the gym with a MASSIVE boombox (Literally the size of a bench). He put on some incredibly loud club music and commentated on everyone's performance in the gym. My mate was doing squats and Leroy was in his face, pushing him to do more.
'NICE FORM MATE'
'FUCKING CURL THAT WEIGHT!'

legendary.

The gym i am at has a couple of guys like that - minus the beat box!! - and tbh i love it.

One of them approached me two weeks ago while i was doing some weights and not only did he give me encouragement but had the decency to sit with me and help me fine tune my "plan" a wee bit.

The thing that i love about my gym the most though is Valet Parking, VALET PARKING FFS!!!!! :lol:

Nate

FH is my second home
All you need now is underlings to carry you on their backs to the equipment :D

Killswitch

FH is my second home
Excellent, I appear to have started a healthy and successful thread (unlike my Mornington Crescent one which was a disaaaaaaster).

My girlfriend made me take the weekend off coz I picked up a kidney infection (wuss!) but I've started the new Ch3tan plan this morning. Got the gym earlier, 10 minutes warmup on the bike, 50 minutes on the X-trainer (of which I reckon about 35-40 were in the elusive "Cardio Zone") then a few bits and pieces and a quick swim.

For the record, I've lost 8lbs in my first week...which is little much I think. My goal is 2-4lbs per week, which might be doable with some willpower.

I reckon I could have managed an hour on the X-trainer, but my ankle was hurting and I've got another badminton league match this week so can't be injured :D

Vasconcelos

Part of the furniture
Grats Kills!

Achieving small goals is the way to go. Keeps you pushing further and its a great motivational tool :)

Killswitch

FH is my second home
Grats Kills!

Achieving small goals is the way to go. Keeps you pushing further and its a great motivational tool :)

Goal 1 - being able to play 90 minutes of short-sided football without worrying about a coronary
Goal 2 - being able to buy clothes from a normal shop instead of the Rent-a-Tent desk at Millets
Goal 3 - being able to see "Little Killswitch" without the aid of a mirror (or advanced Yoga classes)

:D

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
For the record, I've lost 8lbs in my first week...which is little much I think. My goal is 2-4lbs per week, which might be doable with some willpower.

Don't check your weight daily, and if you do, check it at the same time of day. What you eat and when you dump can effect your weight in one day between 2 and 4lbs.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Don't check your weight daily, and if you do, check it at the same time of day. What you eat and when you dump can effect your weight in one day between 2 and 4lbs.

Or in your case; when you post :p

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
StrongLifts 5x5: How to Gain Raw Muscle and Brute Strength | StrongLifts.com

i'd recommend it, defo good for getting bigger/stronger all over, i'm like 3-4 months in and squat/deadlift on the same day doesn't make much difference once you're used to it!

I tried 5x5 but I never got to grips with it. I'd definitely support doing deads and squats on more than one day a week though,

So despite my earlier post, I have today just started - a 12 week 5x5 program. 3 days, compounds each day, hitting back, legs and chest 3 times a week. Lost too much weight and strength over the last 6 months, need extreme measures to gain it back now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom