Games Generation 8 consoles

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Ok so going back to your original post...

You're all missing the point that the PS3 was a massive success because it achieved what it set out to do; win the HD format war.

So it succeeded in winning a format war that has not brought in enough revenue to cover the cost of it's development and the losses inflicted by including inside the PS3. The PS3 wasn't the games console hit that it should have been because of BD cost burden in those early years, it cost Sony money to include but it also cost Sony a ton of revenue when software sales were far lower, licensing fee's were low and it plunged the company into the red. In essense it is winning the Champions League but being relegated from the Premier League and going into administration.

Ok, so you want to stick to BD. It won the war but it isn't winning, the revenue numbers have never hit predicitions and it isn't even proping Sony up, DVD has held on for far longer than expected and now streaming movie sales are showing exponential growth to the point where it is having a sizeable hit on Sony's BD licensing revenues, that will only get worse over the next few years.

So, maybe it is you who are missing the point. A win is only a win if you win.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
i still dont own a HD/BD player of any kind...dont particularly feel like im missing out too much...

I do own a Wii though, its mostly entertaining for parties and when groups are over, not much use for "solo" gaming, it just makes your neighbours think you are jacking off by yourself in your living room and in general feel like a bit of a pleb

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
i still dont own a HD/BD player of any kind...dont particularly feel like im missing out too much...

You and everyone else like you are the reason that BD isn't really winning anything. If they had 70% of optical movie sales then Sony could really claim victory but the the truth is that DVD hasn't gone away, BD isn't ubquitous or even close and with new technologies is never likely to be so.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
I don't have any blu ray equipment. Will get one added to my new PC...will a computer monitor be good enough for it? Or do I need one of these new HD television thingies?

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.

In the name of all things fucking sweet and holy, is there something deeply wrong with you? I explain to you my opinion in a post, you seem to let me have my opinion (finally) and then you go on to make another post telling me my opinion is wrong?

Time to add another one to the ignore list.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
I don't have any blu ray equipment. Will get one added to my new PC...will a computer monitor be good enough for it? Or do I need one of these new HD television thingies?

Depends on the screen res bud and also HDMI cables?

old.user4556

One last thing Chodax, I'll make it extra fucking simple for your retarded mind.

Blu-ray v's HD-DVD.

BD won that format war, yes? Then shut the fuck up.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
current monitor is 1280x1024...so probably needs an upgrade?

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
One last thing Chodax, I'll make it extra fucking simple for your retarded mind.

Blu-ray v's HD-DVD.

BD won that format war, yes? Then shut the fuck up.

Wow. If that if your idea of a cohesive and coherant arguement then I am glad I am going on /ignore.

Winning the format war make no difference if you can't recoup your investment and get enough of a return to invest in new products you fucking idiot. I would say come back when you have something worthwhile to say but after that little rant don't bother, you obviously have nothing worthwhile to say on the subject.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
current monitor is 1280x1024...so probably needs an upgrade?

Yes bud, 1080p capable screen with HDMI connection to make the most of it. Otherwise you will be limited to a low resolution which kind of defeats the point of going BD.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Big G, did you turn into a woman and start bleeding for the first time today or something?

old.user4556

Nah that guy was like Toht on super-troll drugs. My day is packed full of argumentative cunts, I don't need another. On ignore now anyway, I'll cool off once I've changed my tampon.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
He wasn't arguing with you though, it's what I don't get....

old.user4556

He told me I was incorrect when I was.. correct. That's an argument.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
G needs some love. Must have been a shit day :)

Edit: I was just reading the thread G. I think he conceded the point that in the BR vs HD-DVD sony won quite early on. But he does have a point that it was an own goal in financial terms...

Access Denied

It was like that when I got here...
To be fair I don't think he was arguing with your point about Sony winning the format wars. He was arguing, correctly IMO, with your statement that the PS3 was a success because of that. I happen to agree with Cho that it can't be callled a success because Sony is making massive losses with each console sold.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
put your tampons in the freezer for the extra chill!

old.user4556

Edit: I was just reading the thread G. I think he conceded the point that in the BR vs HD-DVD sony won quite early on. But he does have a point that it was an own goal in financial terms...

Which is fine, but he kept telling me I was wrong.

It was like me saying "look, the sky is blue" and he said "incorrect, you'll actually find that the grass is green". What's that got to do with the price of a loaf? I was very specific in what I was saying re the format war and went on to verify and acknowledge his statement that Sony was a cluster-fuck..... only for him to post again saying the same fucking thing that I wrong and blah blah profits.

If that was my missus I'd have Sean Connery slapped her by now. ;)

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Play a power Ballard and make yourself feel better.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Please, try to get this into your head: I do not give a fuck about the fucked-up peripheral situation that Sony now finds itself in; I am purely referring to the BD vs HD-DVD format war that the PS3 was instrumental in securing.

That had more to do with iSony's power in Hollywood and distribution agreement with Wallmart etc. The PS3 had virtually no effect on that format war at all. TBH the right format won due to the increased capacity and what they knew was coming with Ultra High Def (4k) TV.

What pisses me off with Sony is that they do not use viable tech standards when it is applicable, instead creating a new standard to make money from (Memory Sticks etc). They do this at every fucking opportunity just to make a few more bucks from consumers. It's not like they are creating new tech they are just repackaging the same memory chips in a new format.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
BD with a dedicated player is fucking shit, the format is fine , but it is so locked down, for me it's unusable, HDMI is shite, you can't do anything with it, everything greys out on the options when you use it.
I've got a top of the range player, which I bought in innocence and it sits under the bed, I now have to rip into MP4 so I can set it up for use on the projector, to be honest I get most of my stuff off torrent, around 10G rips gives you all the quality you need and infinite options with good old media player classic.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
err..? Everything greys out with HDMI? What are you on about?

Job

The settings options, aspect ratio etc, they are disabled when you use HDMI with a BD player, they force you to watch it exactly as they dictate, which just looks crap,I want true 16:9, the letterbox wastes all my pixels and looks crap on a projector.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
It's not filmed in 16:9 so why would it be displayed as such? Also. It's your device that will stop you changing options not the format or connection. Any more shite to spout?

Job

Oh it's the DEVICE, I see now, well DUH, that's what HDMI is, it's not just a frickin lead, it's an encrypted AV connection built from the ground up to allow the vendors to control every aspect of your viewing experience.
Yes, I know it's not filmed in 16:9, but not having access to a letterbox projector, or a wide enough room to get decent height, I rip to 16:9, chopping the ends off, all films are made with this in mind for when they end up on TV, I rip 1080 down to 720, doesn't matter because you are losing a third of your vertical pixels anyway to black space, because of the letterbox.
If you project letterbox, the light bleed from any price projector can be seen above and below, just looks dreadful.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
They don't control my viewing experience.

User error I imagine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom