Games Generation 8 consoles

Aada

Part of the furniture
tbh meg bd was not that important, out side the tech related media no one gave a shit. ms woulda sold far more if they had done some things right. paying for xbl is one kinect is the other great potential of which has compleaty shit software. also the fucking prices of hdds is retarded.
Yak, the PS3 came out about the time Bluray players first started showing up, it made sense for anyone that wanted a Bluray player to consider a PS3 instead.

Software sales on the 360 absolutely destroy the PS3 sales in like for like games.

Any multiformat game that is released the 360 sales are far far better.

I know many people who don't even play games who bought the PS3 when it release the price difference wasn't much to consider.

People who bought a 360 did so for gaming.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
It's all the same crap tbh. I've got PS3 and 360 and have games on both.

IMHO: XBOX would have dominated this round if it had contained a blu-ray player and Sony would have dominated if PS3 updates weren't the most annoying badly implemented crap ever.

Totally agree.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
prolly true, they lost what they had with the ps2 the emotion engine worked for them even tho devs found it a pain in the arse to develop for. with the ps3 they thought devs would fall into line which many did at first then jumped ship to the 360. much like ninty lost support for the n64 to the ps1. unless of course they wana flush a few billion down the bog again

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Playstation 4 is an optimised PC according to Sony themselves. Might have to go looking for posts where Sony fans slammed Xbox for being just that! :D

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
that mean that they are dumping backward compatability again so ps3 games wont run on ps4 ?

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Yeah, and they will be making many available in the store so people have to buy them twice.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
ps1 and ps2 games will be via thier gaikai streaming shenanigans. and we will have topay for it
psn games wont be and same for ps3 games specialy the exclusives like gow3, infamous, kz3, uncarted etc unless sony does some serious work on the back end we wont see em on ps4 till its much later if at all.

the confrence was shit compared to both ps2 and ps3 reveals even when you take into acount the ps3 bullshot vids. first guy and dave perry both repeated them shelves over and over again, wonder what Ken Kutaragi woulda released instead. prolly somat that woulda cost £700 but it kinda woulda been more nifty.

think EG have been spot on with thier coverage http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...n-4-feels-less-visionary-than-its-predecessor

now hope MS dont disapoint

Aada

Part of the furniture
ps1 and ps2 games will be via thier gaikai streaming shenanigans. and we will have topay for it
psn games wont be and same for ps3 games specialy the exclusives like gow3, infamous, kz3, uncarted etc unless sony does some serious work on the back end we wont see em on ps4 till its much later if at all.

the confrence was shit compared to both ps2 and ps3 reveals even when you take into acount the ps3 bullshot vids. first guy and dave perry both repeated them shelves over and over again, wonder what Ken Kutaragi woulda released instead. prolly somat that woulda cost £700 but it kinda woulda been more nifty.

think EG have been spot on with thier coverage http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...n-4-feels-less-visionary-than-its-predecessor

now hope MS dont disapoint

I think people expect too much, compared to the first HD consoles this generation was always going to feel like a letdown.

Personally im happy we are getting info now and how can anyone not be excited about a new console.

I preordered yesterday at shopto.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Because most people expect a leap in generations, not a stumble.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
How is it a stumble?

Because it is essentially just about keeping up, rather than a leap in performance. It is current gen and probably expected to last 8 years or so... it will most likely be out of date by the time it is released here. It's CPU is pretty basic, made by a company that has struggled to keep up with performance for several years now. Obviously it is a specially designed CPU for the system but I would be worried that a company that has been dominated by it's competitor to the point of pulling out of the market is making the CPU for it. Personally I reckon they should have gone to ARM or Intel. ARM are the king of specific device processors and Intel are the king of desktops...seeing as the PS4 sounds like a modified PC I would have thought they would be the better option.

I think people should wait and see, it's a bit early to be pre-ordering when it still may well end up being a dead duck.

Aada

Part of the furniture
The 360 was out of date a month after it released and is still looking fine.
If Sony went for an Intel processor how much do you think that would bump the price up? Intel are not cheap but AMD are bang for the buck as they say.
They have gone the right way in giving it 8GB GDDR5 ram that has essentially gave it a long life of 10 years perhaps.

As it is the PS4 isn't going to be cheap and you have already stated you wouldn't pay more than £300 so suddenly that Intel idea doesn't sound that great huh?

Don't forget Microsoft want to ram Kinect down everyones throat again so im not entirely convinced of Microsofts plans for hardcore gamers this time as they will be showing off their new Kinect sports title.

Sony on the other hand all their games at the conference seemed purely for gamers with only a small portion dedicated to Move.

Everyone knows I have adored the 360 for years but slowly Sony are winning me over and a lot of hardcore 360 gamers are ready to give Sony a chance.

Of course though we should see what MS have in store for us but if the rumours of the GDDR3 memory they are using is true it will be seen as the weaker console.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Personally I reckon they should have gone to ARM or Intel. ARM are the king of specific device processors and Intel are the king of desktops...seeing as the PS4 sounds like a modified PC I would have thought they would be the better option.
That wouldn't be good business though. AMD are in a corner and Sony can push them for a deal. Intel don't need to do any deal as they're back to coining it in from desktop chips. It'll be interesting if AMD design the chips for the secondary chipset as well as the core.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
The 360 and the ps3 are not still looking fine. Compared to what PC is capable of they look crap and have been holding back game development for years.

Aada

Part of the furniture
The 360 and the ps3 are not still looking fine. Compared to what PC is capable of they look crap and have been holding back game development for years.
Only in terms of graphics, the PC hasn't had a good exclusive for years now.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Only in terms of graphics, the PC hasn't had a good exclusive for years now.
That's my point. Consoles holding everything back. It's not financially viable to push the boundaries when you can sell on three platforms. That holds the whole industry back.. I didn't say PCM games were better I said compared to what a PCM is capable of not what it has done.

Aada

Part of the furniture
Also people seem to be forgetting the GDDR5 RAM 8GB? That's just fucking insane, not even the developers knew about that and i suspect they all got a little giddy when that came out and had ideas straight away for it.

DICE will be happy maybe the 64 player battles on consoles they have wanted can come a reality for them.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
To be honest that's not necessarily the golden ticket it sounds like. If the stuff is in short supply it'll create production problems and it's high cost already. If both the NextBox and PS4 need 8GB of the shit per console... price is gonna go ouchie!

Aada

Part of the furniture
To be honest that's not necessarily the golden ticket it sounds like. If the stuff is in short supply it'll create production problems and it's high cost already. If both the NextBox and PS4 need 8GB of the shit per console... price is gonna go ouchie!
But still give credit to them for doing it anyway, they know full well that skimping on the PS3 memory was the biggest mistake they made with it.

It might be expensive but in the long run this is going to be great.

I guess this is another reason to back up that we won't see the next consoles until 2020? Even further? Sony don't have the money to churn out another console for a while at least and MS seem intent on making their console last too with the 8gb memory.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
To me it frankly seems like a high end PC will likely be better investment. Anything with a higher powered GPU and a SSD in it could wipe the floor with these offerings and the fact that they're x68 architecture makes me think that basically this time around you'll likely see the consoles getting the ports of PC games.

kirennia

Part of the furniture
I'm a little perplexed by the whole thing... As far as I understood, GDDR was dedicated for graphics cards and whilst usable for system RAM, isn't it only good for fast processing once already populated with data i.e. changes at runtime are slower? If so, sure that's graphics accounted for but what about other aspects of gameplay and on-the-fly changes? I think I might be missing the point somewhat...

And for the oct core, I know the XBOX360 had something like this (6 cores iirc) but why aren't we seeing it on the PC yet? :(

ECA

I am a FH squatter
I'm a little perplexed by the whole thing... As far as I understood, GDDR was dedicated for graphics cards and whilst usable for system RAM, isn't it only good for fast processing once already populated with data i.e. changes at runtime are slower? If so, sure that's graphics accounted for but what about other aspects of gameplay and on-the-fly changes? I think I might be missing the point somewhat...

And for the oct core, I know the XBOX360 had something like this (6 cores iirc) but why aren't we seeing it on the PC yet? :(

Cores are like Gigahertz or Megapixels, once you get past a certain point it just becomes irrelevant and not an accurate measure of performance in any way.

kirennia

Part of the furniture
Aye, I think the limit still sits at around 6GHz for a single core (with copious amounts of liquid nitrogen) but I still don't understand the difficulty in releasing more cores with a decent price tag... maybe I'm just being naive. I suppose slapping two quad cores together is still going to cost double the price (plus the amount for the architecture to join them). Multi-threading is a fantastic technology, I just want more cores to play about with already! :D

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Oh and the xbox announcement is going to be amazing, as someone is going to be forced to spew PR bullshit about how always online DRM enhances the consumer experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom