Games Generation 8 consoles

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Interesting article on what we can expect from the next generation of consoles, PS4 possibly being x86 based is a very interesting turn of events and would completely break any chance of backwards compatability with PS3. At this point not only does it makes sense for Sony's bottom line to use off the shelf high performance and proven hardware but also for developers to consolidate towards a single architecture to keep costs down. The article indicates that Microsoft will probably stick with PowerPC next time around but I would not be suprised to see them shift to x86 as well, it offers the right performance at the right price whilst making it much easier for developers to code cross-platform titles. One thing is for sure, this generation will be very different, Sony cannot afford to go out on a limb again with expensive and exotic hardware. PS3 cost them billions in lost revenue and marketshare, mainly because they shifted focus a bit too much from gaming towards media playback but also developing CELL which while ridiculously powerful for some things (who needs 8x1080p video streams decoding at once??) was less than ideal for certain gaming related tasks. Going x86 allows developers to hit the ground running and deliver very high performance from week 1 of release, that is what Sony need this time around if they are to claw back what they have lost whilst keeping build costs at viable levels.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/...nals-a-sea-change-in-the-console-industry.ars

Thoughts?

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Another Sony flop I imagine.

I read they are going to make it impossible to play used games on it, add to that no backwards compatibility and a crazy price tag. Doom

ECA

I am a FH squatter
The same rumours about no used games have been floating around for both xbox720 and ps4.

It's hard to see what any new console is really going to offer in the next 2-3 years - it's just going to be the equivalent of a low budget pc.
i3, custom cheap mobos+4gb ram ( cheap as fuck ) and an off the shelf mid range gpu = basically a nextgen console.

The next push now that 3d flopped is 4k.
You're going to see a lot of promo for 4k TVs, 4k bluray, etc - I'd imagine the next real leap will be running something like current gen graphics w/ aa and bloom type stuff at 60fps on a 4k display.

For console prices thats gonna take a few years though, anything that comes out now isn't really going to push any boundaries that high end pc games are not doing already.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I see no reason to give up my ps3, I don't use it for games anyway.

soze

I am a FH squatter
I do not see Sony releasing anything soon. From what I have read developers have not yet tapped the ps3 so why would you upgrade when your old machine still has guts. I have not followed the news for ages so not sure how accurate that is.

Also if Sony and MS have learned anything both should be developing sub £200 family related machines. PS3, PSP, PSP GO and the Vista have all been outsold by the cheaper Nintendo machines. Console gaming is not now only for the hardcore it is now a family activity so pricing and abilities should reflect that IMO.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Yeah if you just look at ps3 price vs sales, it's clear they need to be aiming at the £200-300 price range.

My Ps1 was £199 and I saved up for it w/ my paper round, if that was a PS3 for £600 on launch... no fucking chance.
It's that "christmas present" price tag area they need to launch into.

Wii was a fucking gimmick POS but the pricetag meant it sold by the boatload to people who'd never bought a game before let alone a console.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
I do not see Sony releasing anything soon. From what I have read developers have not yet tapped the ps3 so why would you upgrade when your old machine still has guts. I have not followed the news for ages so not sure how accurate that is.

Also if Sony and MS have learned anything both should be developing sub £200 family related machines. PS3, PSP, PSP GO and the Vista have all been outsold by the cheaper Nintendo machines. Console gaming is not now only for the hardcore it is now a family activity so pricing and abilities should reflect that IMO.

News of 'Orbis' was leaked recently, go read the article. It looks like an Xmas 2013 release for both Sony and Microsoft.

soze

I am a FH squatter
News of 'Orbis' was leaked recently, go read the article. It looks like an Xmas 2013 release for both Sony and Microsoft.
I read that they were unconfirmed and as has been said such rumours have piped up countless times. So my thinking is releasing another bleeding tech machine will be pointless ala PS Vista vs DS. Not saying its not true just saying my thoughts are that it will be a mistake.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
ECA what is that 4k thing you speak of?

'sides that, the PS/3 is the first and currently only console I ever bought, specifically for the media capabilities + awesome gameage. CELL is a fearsomely awesome thing imo.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
horizontal pixels sayeth the wikipedia? fixed horizontal width means hellooooo letterboxing...

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I see. Pray tell, when was the last one?

PS3, PsP, PsP Go, Xperia Play, Playstation home. A bit too soon to comment on Vita but it's not exactly breaking any records is it?

etc

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Yeah you're right I was having a derp moment.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
I read that they were unconfirmed and as has been said such rumours have piped up countless times. So my thinking is releasing another bleeding tech machine will be pointless ala PS Vista vs DS. Not saying its not true just saying my thoughts are that it will be a mistake.

The difference this time is that we know all 3 are currently in the process of hardware design because we are at that point in the cycle albiet an extended cycle this time around, infact Nintendo are getting close to the point of having a finalised hardware specification so I expect them to go early and give themselves 12 months breathing room to compensate for the underpowered hardware. One thing is pretty sure, neither Xbox nor PS will be bleeding edge technology this time, it just isn't needed, to make 1080p60 look really pretty doesn't require insane hardware as far as CPU and GPU go. To make complex games looking that pretty just requires adequate hardware and decent amounts of RAM which is dirt cheap, Microsoft and Sony do not need to take big hit per unit this time around if they are sensible and spec the machine to do enough to max out at 1080p60.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Orbis and Durango will be decidedly mid-range at launch when compared to top-of-the-line PC hardware

Why buy top-of-the-line PC hardware any more? What top of the line games are being produced that pushes the hardware that isn't available on consoles because they can't run 'em?

Game development just doesn't push it any more :(

ECA

I am a FH squatter
PS3, PsP, PsP Go, Xperia Play, Playstation home. A bit too soon to comment on Vita but it's not exactly breaking any records is it?

etc

The PS3 launched a year later than the 360, and yet it's something like 62 million sales vs 65 million - ie it's catching up despite xboxs year lead.
PSP has sold more units than either the 360 or the ps3, yet that is a flop?

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Yeah if you just look at ps3 price vs sales, it's clear they need to be aiming at the £200-300 price range.

My Ps1 was £199 and I saved up for it w/ my paper round, if that was a PS3 for £600 on launch... no fucking chance.
It's that "christmas present" price tag area they need to launch into.

To be completely honest with you, I think that is the Christmas present price tag these days, I had the original Xbox as a present between me and my 2 brothers when I was little, now I've seen parents who aren't even that well off easily splash out on a new PS3 for each of their kids, I think the added utility that the newer consoles brings also partially adds the idea of parents buying consoles for their children that they can also use, for the blueray player, for instance.

Meh, it won't flop.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
4K is just a joke, the only people benefiting will be someone with a 40 ft projector screen, using raw stream from a 4K camera, there's practically no media out there that justifies 1080 over 720 for screens less than 60 inches, and until they make 4K wrap around goggles I wouldn't waste a penny on it, they need to sort out 3D , if it's done right you don't even notice it, just to full of glitches and ghosting even on the best kit.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time

etc

PS3 and PsP already covered. Xperia Play wasn;t a Sony product (SE != Sony), PS Home was a free service anyway.

Must try harder eh?

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
its a flop (psp) cause all those that bought it (including me) bought into the hype and never really used them much except to people who did homebrew stuff on it

imo

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Have Sony made a profit out of any of them yet?

What, no?

Xperia play is a fully licensed Sony product with Playstation branding, it is for all intents and purposes a Sony product, falling into the Playstation family of products...and it's dreadful. Fantastic for playing emulators on though, not so much at making Sony money.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
By that logic, the Wii ( which nintendo made a profit on every single unit sold ) was the worst console flop of all time. re: Moriath

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
The PS3 launched a year later than the 360, and yet it's something like 62 million sales vs 65 million - ie it's catching up despite xboxs year lead.
PSP has sold more units than either the 360 or the ps3, yet that is a flop?

You need to look at the marketshare lost, that has been the real issue for Sony. The PS3 didn't flop, it just didn't perform as expected and that was down to a number of factors including build cost but also strong competition and Nintendo spoiling the market with a cheap but inferior product. Sony have gone from 70% marketshare last generation to 28% in this cycle, that is billions of dollars in lost licensing fees which has made it so incredibly tough for Sony to recoup thier initial investment and also turn a profit. Microsoft gained around 10% marketshare but where they really made a killing is Xbox Live which has generated billions in subscriptions, game sales, netflix and DLC. Microsoft more than tripled thier revenue this generation which leaves them in a strong position for the next round of the console wars. Sony just need to be smarter next time out, it doesn't need to be a $700 box of hardware to succeed, it just needs to hit the right performance level at the right price for the mainstream market and they will rake back in a good amount of lost marketshare. Keep it simple stupid, that really applies this time.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
The next push now that 3d flopped is 4k.
You're going to see a lot of promo for 4k TVs, 4k bluray, etc - I'd imagine the next real leap will be running something like current gen graphics w/ aa and bloom type stuff at 60fps on a 4k display.

Can't comment on the consoles but not sure I agree with you on 4K being the 'next big push'. Only a couple of major films even being filmed in it, Hobbit for one. Next big push I see after the connected TV is for 3D without glasses and Super thin OLED models. Expect 3D models appearing in the high street very soon. Philips and Toshiba already have 42" models out with lots more to follow. A recent tech release is Stream TV "Ultra D Technology" with on the fly 2D - 3D conversion. Should see these at the 2012 CES Show.

4K high street availability is going to be ultra hi end only for at least another year or two.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Can't comment on the consoles but not sure I agree with you on 4K being the 'next big push'. Only a couple of major films even being filmed in it, Hobbit for one. Next big push I see after the connected TV is for 3D without glasses and Super thin OLED models. Expect 3D models appearing in the high street very soon. Philips and Toshiba already have 42" models out with lots more to follow. A recent tech release is Stream TV "Ultra D Technology" with on the fly 2D - 3D conversion. Should see these at the 2012 CES Show.

4K high street availability is going to be ultra hi end only for at least another year or two.

The super-thin OLED is going to happen as prices drop, that is inevitable but they will still be 1080p sets and do not push gaming technology forward as such. 3D without glasses will go nowhere, it induces headaches for the vast majority of the population and may well have long term eye health implications. As for 4k, it will go nowhere but the ultra-highend, the bandwidth demands are far too high for broadcasters and for the viewer it is very much a case of diminishing returns on sets below 60inches.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
I'd rather see 100fps pushed instead of 4k or 3d, at least we'd get some benefit out of it >.>

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
I'd rather see 100fps pushed instead of 4k or 3d, at least we'd get some benefit out of it >.>

Definately, that should have happened a decade ago.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Agreed. Regards OLED as production increases the costs drop significantly. You can expect the prices to drop 50% over 24-36 months. Just the way the industry works. I'm interested to see if 3D TV takes off without the need for glasses. That was big issue with a lot of potential takers, me included.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom