Football Gary Speed

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Aye. You can see Llandudno (specifically the Great Orme) from both the Wirral and Anglesey tho. Nice to have the maths :)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
From the 2007 stats up to about 35 your more likely to die by homicide than suicide in the US.

Edit. Oh and half the suicides are by firearm.

So, if we're selective about age then we can make the stats fit. So, basically, suicide is a much bigger cause of death then. :)

And painting guns as responsible for suicide because people kill themselves with them? - seems to me that Gary Speed found the answer to not having a gun...

rynnor

Rockhound
The stats tell their own story - its pretty much even by 35-45 so only 45+ are there more suicides. You should see the stats for Black americans - its shocking.

russell

FH is my second home
This thread has moved from being a pile of bile to quite interesting dudes.

rynnor

Rockhound
I think 2007 might have been a bad year for suicides though as the recession had basically started in the US that year - people were losing homes/jobs etc.

The peak was in the 45-55 age group - I think that represents people who are scared about being too old to get another job or to start again. Reminds me of the guy over here who got made redundant a couple of weeks ago - 53 years old - took a lift to the top floor and jumped off the side into the atrium killing himself instantly.

Edit - link to the story - http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/stand...is-death-at-hq-after-hearing-of-redundancy.do

HR assholes :(

sayward

Resident Freddy
For reasons that will become obvious I wasn't going to post in this thread and i do apologise if I have said all this before.I have just been posting on Deebs 'dilemma' thread and it has triggered all sorts of thoughts in me that I need to get out of my head and say to someone, anyone.

My father was a depressive who was in and out of hospital all through my childhood. I probably loved him but I hated him more. I have no happy memories of him. He made absolutely no attempt to help himself whether he could or not. He did not provide for us financially or with love and affection. My mother and I could not do it all, even tho we tried.

To outsders he was perfectly charming and normal. At home he was hell. When he died everyone else said what a lovely man he was. I can't talk of him with affection , even now, years after his death.

He was killed in the most horrible way imaginable. It wasn't suicide and it wasn't murder. I would have far rather he had hanged himself.

I actually told my husband when we met and married that if he ever showed any least sign of mental illness, whatever kind, I would leave him on the spot. And I meant it.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
He was killed in the most horrible way imaginable. It wasn't suicide and it wasn't murder. I would have far rather he had hanged himself.

I'm afraid I have to say...WTF??????

Gumbo

FH is my second home
I would have to agree with Gaff and speculate it was brain worms. That or rampant attention seeking.

Marc

FH is my second home
Surely (especially with something like hanging) once you've set the process in motion , it's too late for any survival instinct to kick in.

My English teacher told us that it was impossible to stab yourself. I'm paraphrasing, because it was 20 odd years ago and I don't remember his exact words. I also don't know if he was just trying to be 'ard, but I guess that's a more clear-cut survival instinct demonstration.

Next door neighbours son killed himself recently by slicing his own stomach open!

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Next door neighbours son killed himself recently by slicing his own stomach open!

Wow. How? Why?

In terms of attempting suicide I know that 4 times more women then men attempt to kill themselves but 4 times the number of men than women actually achieve it.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
We need to offer suicidal people a 'brain off' period, when you can't handle your own thoughts we should
have warehouses full of people in induced coma.
Might not work in itself,but gives them a mental buffer against ending it all.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Wow. How? Why?

In terms of attempting suicide I know that 4 times more women then men attempt to kill themselves but 4 times the number of men than women actually achieve it.

Just like dirving then.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I attempted to type "dirving" into google and yahoo to find out what it was, but they won't let me. They keep changing the spelling to driving - and I'm sure you couldn't have meant that as teh wimminz are clearly at least as good as men at driving :eek:

*cough*

sayward

Resident Freddy
Wow. How? Why?

That's cos women take pills and gag whereas men shoot themselves or use other such amazing methods.

Cadiva

Part of the furniture
At the moment the idea that Gary Speed had a mental illness or was depressed is speculation. Until the inquest hears all the evidence and draws a verdict, the whys of him hanging himself are a mystery. I will say, speaking from my former professional point of view, that the idea of him being depressed wasn't the first one which came into my head on hearing he'd hanged himself and, having spoken to a few mates still working in the media industry, I wonder if what they're saying they are aware of will actually come out in the inquest. I would hope, with the current investigations on media standards and practises, that what I've heard does get found out and suitable action is taken following it.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Wow. I was wondering if Gary Speed had come back to life - it'd make this the ultimate necro thread :)

Edit: And yeah, most women don't mean it - it's just a cry for help. When it gets that bad for a man he does the job.

Hmmmm. It pays to be a whiny bitch? At least you live.... :(

Cadiva

Part of the furniture
Wow. I was wondering if Gary Speed had come back to life - it'd make this the ultimate necro thread :)

Edit: And yeah, most women don't mean it - it's just a cry for help. When it gets that bad for a man he does the job.

Hmmmm. It pays to be a whiny bitch? At least you live.... :(

I don't think that's necessarily it in so much that the methods employed by women over men tend to give a better chance at survival if discovered.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I don't think that's necessarily it in so much that the methods employed by women over men tend to give a better chance at survival if discovered.

I'm unsympathetic. Lived with a girl at Uni (not gf) who used to regularly take a load of pills, wait 5, then ring her mates up. I've also lived with someone (gf) who had a genuine problems where the possibility of life-take was much more serious, but attempts were still very weak.

Blokes don't go through the whiny attention-grab stage. They just kill themselves. Properly and without warning.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
It's like cleaning. Women try and do it and kind of get some stuff done, but never the whole job. When a man cleans it's fucking SPOTLESS.

:D

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
It's like cleaning. Women try and do it and kind of get some stuff done, but never the whole job. When a man cleans it's fucking SPOTLESS.

:D

So fucking true. But when I show the bird she'll also do half a job with something I value much more than the cleaning. And half a job is no job :(

Cadiva

Part of the furniture
I'm unsympathetic. Lived with a girl at Uni (not gf) who used to regularly take a load of pills, wait 5, then ring her mates up. I've also lived with someone (gf) who had a genuine problems where the possibility of life-take was much more serious, but attempts were still very weak.

Blokes don't go through the whiny attention-grab stage. They just kill themselves. Properly and without warning.

I wasn't being sympathetic or otherwise, I was simply pointing out why women have a better survival rate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom