Guess another one chalked up to secret depression

Some change the title name to Gary please oops bad me

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
It's all over the football thread.

Rubric

Part of the furniture
My thoughts are with those he left behind when he chose to die.

gohan

FH is my second home
My thoughts are with those he left behind when he chose to die.
Absoloutly, never really feel sympathy for the one that kills themself as it's their own choice. Sad that someone with such a seemingly good life can feel that's the only way out.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Then you have absolutely no understanding of depression and mental illness.

gohan

FH is my second home
Still doesn't make suicide unselfish though does it? it's probably the most selfish thing you can do. Already said it's sad that he felt that's the onlyway out and it is a massive shame. But at the end of the day he wasn't murdered, so can't feel that much sympathy for him being dead as his life wasn't TAKEN from him......

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Actually it could be (in his mind) the most selfless thing he has ever done.

gohan

FH is my second home
ye I can see that, if he thinks so little of himself that he's a burden ect and that his family would be better without him, not saying that he's selfish as such, but the whole act of suicide is a selfish one, in the term of HE finds it too hard to go on so HE kills HIMSELF.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Agree with gohan. It's his kids that are going to have to grow up without a father and his wife that will have to go on without a husband, probably in absolute anguish because she will go through umpteen "what-ifs" as to whether she could have prevented it. Depression or no depression, it's a fucking shitty thing to do to the family you leave behind.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Wow... You all say he's leaving his family behind etc, ever thought about the reasoning behind it? - could've been his family who sent him to do such a thing. Fact is, as of yet, none of you have a clue, so respect the guy for what he did for football and his achievements in life.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I tell you what. I hate people with cancer. Them and their stupid cell-dvision problems. If they weren't so selfish they'd have their cells replicate properly instead of making runaway tumors. They probably smoked and therefore deserve it. It's bound to be their fault in some way.

Human's capacity to judge mental illness as not real, because they don't show external symptoms (in public at least) is, unfortunately, not at all surprising. This thread is testament to how fucking dumb we all are.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
All those saying he was selfish have never been properly depressed .. been to the stage where your view of the world is soo narrow that nothing further than the next 5 minutes means anything .. and the only thing you think about is how to stop this pain ...

If you are in the press and all and not able to talk about this or to seek help then you can get very desperate to stop the torture you are going through.

I have been to some very dark places where i wasnt able to leave the house because of how i felt ... and i thought about how it would be good to drive my car into a brick wall .. you dont think of others ..

Its an illness that robs you of your mind and senses.

Like i said at the beginning .. i feel sorry for him that he wasnt able to get the help he needed and it ended up like this. Like the Goalie that did himself in .. cant remember his name.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
BTW really some mod please change the title of the thread.. i feel dumb nough already lol :p

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Suicide is a thing for blokes in thier 40s / 50s it seems. I don't think it's nescessarily about huge depression either.

As someone who's been kind of on the sharp end of it, I cant say I'm a big fan :p however, none of us know what was going on in the blokes life or mind at the time, and we probably never will either.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
All those saying he was selfish have never been properly depressed .. been to the stage where your view of the world is soo narrow that nothing further than the next 5 minutes means anything .. and the only thing you think about is how to stop this pain ...
QFT.

RIP Gary.

Rubric

Part of the furniture
Clearly the guy was not just an attention seeking waste of space like pill poppers as to hang yourself is pretty definate way of sowing yourself in. Therefore he was Definately unwell. That said I cannot imagine how you could feel that way when you have two children. How can that not prompt you to get some help.

I have to say I have never experienced it and therefore do not understand it. But if I had thoughts of topping myself then my kids would make me want to get help.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Clearly the guy was not just an attention seeking waste of space like pill poppers as to hang yourself is pretty definate way of sowing yourself in. Therefore he was Definately unwell. That said I cannot imagine how you could feel that way when you have two children. How can that not prompt you to get some help.

I have to say I have never experienced it and therefore do not understand it. But if I had thoughts of topping myself then my kids would make me want to get help.

Its hard to understand unless you have been there or close.... but really once experienced you can totally see how it can happen .. it doesnt take much to push you oover the edge

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber

When you get to that stage, kids or no kids, you're in trouble and it takes a large amount of effort to pulll back from it, regardless. The rationale 'I'll leave my kids behind' is just a faint murmer in the fog of depression. I know, but I managed to stay here. Sadly, Gary didn't.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
My mum and sheer stubboness as well as a lot of talking to shrinks and some chemicals ... Stemetil and anti depressants .. still taking them .. hence my avatar heh .. still feel like that tbh :p

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
That said I cannot imagine how you could feel that way when you have two children. How can that not prompt you to get some help.

I have to say I have never experienced it and therefore do not understand it.

It doesn't prompt you because your mind is "broken". There's no "understanding" it because it makes no rational sense - you just have to accept that it exists and is something to pity people for in the same way you accept that cancer exists and you feel sorry for people with it.

In the same way that you can't walk on your broken legs, you can't think on your broken mind.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
You're all talking bollocks. There is no proof or evidence that the mans mind was in any way "broken" because he chose to commit suicide. Once I got into my forties I noticed how quite a few people (men) of my age group topped themselves. Sometimes, like the one I found, they were probably mental and had poured paraffin over themselves at christmas and burned themselves to death.

Another bloke I know (knew) planned to kill himself for weeks, on the last night he went to his local and had a pint, told the barman what he was going to do, quite matter of fact, (the barman didnt beleive him of course!) the went up the road, slung a rope over a bridge and hanged himself.

Another bloke had a perfectly normal life, no problems with wife or family, the found him in the garage. He'd cable tied his wrists into the vice on the bench, and had a plastic bag on his head.

Classic lefty do-gooder approach, you want to kill your self, therefore there must be something wrong with you. Certainly 1 of those three examples I've cited, and probably two of them, had nothing wrong with them at all, it was a concious decision. Not one I agree with I dont think, but it aint my decision to make is it ? :p Niether am I huge fan of the apologists munching on pain killers all thier lives and whining on about it, however I dont have any knowledge or experience of it so it's not for me to have much of an opinion, merely to avoid them to be honest.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I disagree throddy.

I'm not saying that there aren't situations where suicide isn't a perfectly reasonable course of action. I'm saying that in most cases killing yourself shows that there is something wrong with your mind.

Do you not admit that someone killing themselves, when they outwardly have seemingly every reason to be happy (rich, good looking, loved, family), is extremely strong evidence that there is something not right in their mental processes?

It may even have made logical sense to Mr Speed, but it's not making any logical sense to us (or am I missing something).

You knew a bloke who planned to kill himself for weeks. You don't think that's indicative of a warped and fucked up mind?

Certainly 1 of those three examples I've cited, and probably two of them, had nothing wrong with them at all, it was a concious decision.

I'm not saying it wasn't a concious decision. I'm saying that their minds were broken in some way - and the logic they used to come to that concious decision was fucked up.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
No I dont, I'm saying thats what they wanted, and thats what they did. You just have to impose your own set of logic over the top of it, which is misguided at best and certainly standard reaction in these caring sharing days :)

There ia a definate thing about men between 40 and say 55 killing themselves. It's like they get to a point where they think well, it's not going to get any better, it's just going to get worse. I just cant be bothered any more.

Staggeringly sad for those around them, but true. Why Gary Speed did it, who knows, I wouldnt have thought his life was boring, but maybe he thought it wernt going to get any better, who knows, I dont know, niether do you. That's the point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom