Football Gary Speed

gohan

FH is my second home
My theory on Speed is that managing and punditary are no replacement for playing, he only retired last year and maybe the thought of being over the hill and no longer good/fit enough to lace up some boots pushed him over the edge. Possibly football was his whole life and to him not playing is no way to live...

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Possibly.

However, if his mind was working correctly he'd have found something else to dedicate his life to rather than ending it, throwing his wife and kids into years (possibly a lifetime) of agony, wouldn't he?

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
My theory on Speed is that managing and punditary are no replacement for playing, he only retired last year and maybe the thought of being over the hill and no longer good/fit enough to lace up some boots pushed him over the edge. Possibly football was his whole life and to him not playing is no way to live...

I could understand this is he was'nt in anyway shape or form involved in the game he loved. He still had day to day task, at his age and fitness I wouldi magine he still took part in training sessions with the team.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I'm afraid my natural inclination with problems like depression is a fairly old-school "pull yourself together" type of attitude, even though I know intellectually that such an attitude isn't remotely helpful. As Scouse says, its difficult to empathise about something you can't see. Having said that, from experience I know how easy it is to go into some weird places mentally without it being classed as depression or anything like that; a few years back I was literally ODing on caffeine and that did some very odd things to my mental state (didn't help that it was the most stressed time of my entire life either). I went back to "normal" (ahem) as soon as I quit the triple-shot espressos, but it give me quite a scare as it showed how easily one's brain chemistry can throw a wobbly.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I'm afraid my natural inclination with problems like depression is a fairly old-school "pull yourself together" type of attitude, even though I know intellectually that such an attitude isn't remotely helpful.

To be fair, I think that's all human's natural inclination. Mine too.

It's 'cause we're all stupid barely-evolved mammals who find it difficult to intellectualise rather than go by their gut.

soze

I am a FH squatter
There are a million reasons he could of killed himself. News of a terminal illness, finding out his kids are not his, being caught having an affair, blackmail... It is too early to say it was depression. I am also of the pull yourself together mode but I suppose depression is something that effects different people more than others, so if it is depression I will not judge his acts.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
It's does make you wonder if it was depression because so many people who were very close to him have come out and said there were absolutely no signs of it. I know depression can be very difficult to spot in people, but as something i've been around a fair amount in my life (not suffered myself, but number of family members have been hit by it very hard), i think that there are some fairly obvious indicators. If he was struggling surely someone would've noticed something.

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
Herp derp I'm a condescending mental health expert. :rolleyes:

R.I.P. Mr. Speed.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
A few years ago I descended into classic paranoia, didn't realise till after I came through.
It all happened very gradually and each step seemed reasonable, first I kept thinking people were looking at me in shops and I started checking the mirror all the time to see why, then I was convinced people were looking at me from the pavement as I drove down the road,
I started thinking people were quickly looking away as I turned to face them, it was a stressful time for me as well with all kinds of shit hitting the fan in work.
At night I would plan ways to dissapear into the wilderness and I've still got the super lightweight camping gear I bought for the purpose.
I eventually confided in my mother and she was like 'go the doctor!' I didn't go but slowly crawled my mind back and work sorted itself out and I regained normality, but you can bet he had some trigger that was fuelling his state of mind.

Chilly

Balls of steel
Maybe he was about to be busted for throwing matches for gangsters or was £100k in the hole to a bookie?

russell

FH is my second home
It's does make you wonder if it was depression because so many people who were very close to him have come out and said there were absolutely no signs of it. I know depression can be very difficult to spot in people, but as something i've been around a fair amount in my life (not suffered myself, but number of family members have been hit by it very hard), i think that there are some fairly obvious indicators. If he was struggling surely someone would've noticed something.
Nah - some of the cleverest people I have known were able to hide depression brilliantly and appear bright and breezy -almost too bright and breezy -its inside they are broken.
Never have I seen a thread on Freddies with such polar opposites of people who understand something of the terminal illness of depression and others who are totally ignorant.
You dont purposely take your own life for an easy or selfish option, you do it because you have no choice.

russell

FH is my second home
Suicide remains the most common cause of death in men under the age of 35 in the UK. (The National Service Framework For Mental Health – Five Years On, Department Of Health)

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Suicide is one thing that hasn't seen any political correctness put into it.. - like everything else, bad behaviour being one of them, it's always - oh look, it's because they have ADHD, FBRA, AHTHE or AHTEHAD etc, but as a society, when someone commits suicide, everyone is like omfg, selfish, how can they do it, waste of life, etc, some people can't see why they did it, the illnesses they did it, and the true reasons why they did it... To commit suicide, you definitely have to have a serious mental illness.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Never have I seen a thread on Freddies with such polar opposites of people who understand something of the terminal illness of depression and others who are totally ignorant.

Unless you know someone with Clinical Depression why would you be an expert on it. To most people with out first hand knowledge "You look depressed" is depression.

Cancer is the same unless you have a relative or friend affected you do not study up on it and become an expert.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
No, you dont. It can just be a concsious decision. And I dont even know (or care) what them letters mean Gwadien.

You're showing your age mate :)

*I said that in a nice way.

Rubric

Part of the furniture
Suicide remains the most common cause of death in men under the age of 35 in the UK. (The National Service Framework For Mental Health – Five Years On, Department Of Health)

I have to say, I don't believe that.

russell

FH is my second home
Some people who are mentally sane -but have a debilitating disease, choose suicide.

Sir Terry Pratchett, the fantasy writer who was diagnosed with Alzheimer's in 2008, said yesterday he had started the formal process that could lead to his own assisted suicide at the Dignitas clinic in Switzerland.
Pratchett, whose BBC2 film about the subject of assisted suicide is to be shown on BBC2 tomorrow, revealed he had been sent the consent forms requesting a suicide by the clinic and planned to sign them imminently.
"The only thing stopping me [signing them] is that I have made this film and I have a bloody book to finish" he said during a question-and-answer session following a screening at the Sheffield documentary festival Doc/Fest.
He said that he decided to start the process after making the film Terry Pratchett: Choosing to Die, which shows the moment of death of a motor neurone sufferer, millionaire hotel owner Peter Smedley.
Pratchett, the creator of the Discworld novels who was 60 when he was diagnosed, said his decision to start the formal process did not necessarily mean he was going to take his own life.

gohan

FH is my second home
depression wasn't an issue throughout history, it's a very new thing in all honesty. I think people used to be too busy to get depressed

Everz

FH is my second home
Does it really matter? Either way a bloke who was seemingly at the top of his game is dead, leaving his family and friends behind wondering why. It's all a sad tradegy.

Everz

FH is my second home
depression wasn't an issue throughout history, it's a very new thing in all honesty. I think people used to be too busy to get depressed

Cringeworthy.

Some people are fucking cretins.

gohan

FH is my second home
Lots of people who are mentally sane -but have a debilitating disease choose suicide.

Sir Terry Pratchett, the fantasy writer who was diagnosed with Alzheimer's in 2008, said yesterday he had started the formal process that could lead to his own assisted suicide at the Dignitas clinic in Switzerland.
Pratchett, whose BBC2 film about the subject of assisted suicide is to be shown on BBC2 tomorrow, revealed he had been sent the consent forms requesting a suicide by the clinic and planned to sign them imminently.
"The only thing stopping me [signing them] is that I have made this film and I have a bloody book to finish" he said during a question-and-answer session following a screening at the Sheffield documentary festival Doc/Fest.
He said that he decided to start the process after making the film Terry Pratchett: Choosing to Die, which shows the moment of death of a motor neurone sufferer, millionaire hotel owner Peter Smedley.
Pratchett, the creator of the Discworld novels who was 60 when he was diagnosed, said his decision to start the formal process did not necessarily mean he was going to take his own life.
that's different tho imo, in his shoes i would make the same choice, if your mind is no longer thier you are nothing but an empty shell that is a burden to those around you

russell

FH is my second home
I was just making the point that you dont have to have a mental illness to commit suicude as was suggested earlier in this thread.

Rubric

Part of the furniture
And yet it doesn't get a mention in the national statistics. However it is a leading cause and.is.sixth in America.

russell

FH is my second home
Wonder why its only 6th in America? Curious....
Maybe the bible belt?

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Wonder why its only 6th in America? Curious....
Maybe the bible belt?

No, its the Hispanic mix. Suicide is a big no-no for catholics. You'll find the incidence of suicide is definitely lower in practising catholic countries.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom