Gamesday UK

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
Just a quick post to let you all know what we're planning for this event.
Firstly and most importantly we'll have 12 PCs there to give you a taste of the Gates of Ekrund RvR scenario. This is an exciting battle where speed and teamwork are vital to success. You'll have access to max level characters with high-end equipment to truly get a taste of the fantastic RvR in WAR.

Secondly we'll have a very special guest from EA Mythic on the stand - Paul Barnett! He will be there to talk to all the fans along with myself and Kai Schober (AKA Sterntaler, the German community manager).

Finally if you're in the mood for more WAR froth after the show you can come along to the Novotel at Birmingham Airport on Sunday evening where we'll be in the bar. We hope that many of you will come to meet us in a more relaxed setting to chat about the game, the world of Warhammer and much more.

vayasen

Fledgling Freddie
"Firstly and most importantly we'll have 12 PCs there to give you a taste of the Gates of Ekrund RvR scenario"

Scenarios arnt really RVR in my books, they are WOW BGs :p

However, I hope its a good event and I also hope to be proven wrong about Scenarios. Id be going but im away during the event :mad:

Aesgir

Loyal Freddie
Wow i'd totally forgotten this was this soon, better see if i can get a ticket and prepare to sleep on my mates couch. Seen a few vids of the Gates of Ekrund, this future rifle toting beardie can't wait to try it :england:

Sparda

Fledgling Freddie
I'll be there again this year ^^

Last year got me a free T-Shirt, shall i be a total geek and wear it to this years :m00:

Case

Fledgling Freddie
Since I'm driving you down Sparda that would be a no otherwise I'll have to disown you and pretend I'm not with you all day :D

Really looking forward to this gonna set off earlier this time so we`re not 3 miles from the front of the queue :p

Dervish

Fledgling Freddie
Myself and a couple of guildies are driving up Saturday and staying in a hotel to be ready early on Sunday. Going to explore the famous Birmingham curry district on Saturday night ofc....

Sparda

Fledgling Freddie
Since I'm driving you down Sparda that would be a no otherwise I'll have to disown you and pretend I'm not with you all day :D

Really looking forward to this gonna set off earlier this time so we`re not 3 miles from the front of the queue :p

Boooooo!
Good point with the que thingy though :worthy:

Naetha

Fledgling Freddie
Sparda won't get in with a car with me driving after last games day :(

Having said that, I'll probably be designated pregnant driver on the way home :p

I'd also like to know what provision Mythic are making for nursing mothers in WAR - will babies be able to craft like they can in DAOC currently? :D

The_Daddy

Fledgling Freddie
Really looking forward to this. Have 3 of us going up on Saturday for some drinking carnage and possibly end up in some dodgy club on broad street.

1 of the guys is adamant he wears his GW Club shirt so I am guessing you wont be alone if you decide to wear it. :D

Oh and Iain, what time are you guys going to be at the Novotel? ;)

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
We'll be there as soon as we can get out of the show and back to the hotel. I'm thinking about 6-6:30 or so to allow for takedown and a quick shower.

FlyingDaggers

Fledgling Freddie
We'll be there as soon as we can get out of the show and back to the hotel. I'm thinking about 6-6:30 or so to allow for takedown and a quick shower.

Any chance of a beta wave going out before the show? :wub:

Naetha

Fledgling Freddie

Ooh that might be an OK time for us before we head back to Leeds...I'm very much looking forwards to all the geekery :D

I have to pretend to be a straight most of the time :(

vayasen

Fledgling Freddie
Im off to Leeds today (again) for the match Naeth ;]

Theres still a very outside chance I might end up going to the Gamesday but I think im struggling.

Case

Fledgling Freddie
Woohoo not long to go now! So much geekery gonna be going on today r0x!

Oskorei

Fledgling Freddie
Will there be a similair Look-What-We-Made-Come-Try-It-And-Say-Ooooooooooh-And-Plxplxplx-Tell-All-Your-Friends-Day in The Netherlands?

Garok

Can't get enough of FH
Was good fun ! Demo up was good, managed to play one game (as warrior priest) with Sparda which we won 495 points to 5 (so a sound spanking). No Lag though the "dinamic lighting" was missing. The game lasted roughly 15 mins (guess) and I topped the chart with 26 kills and 23k healed (Woot) !

Healing - was fairly easy to juggle mele and healing on warrior priest. Damage was not horrific enough to make healing tricky. Some healing spells seemed to have a cool down. Seemed to be no LoS on healing (might have got that wrong though I did not see any message pop ups). So wacked stuff with teh hammer then stoped to heal when needed, did not have to perma heal though.

Damage - with the cap level twinked out charecters on offer it did not seem to be possible to 2-3 shot any other charecter. Assisting on the same traget seemed to be the key. Did not see any horrific big hits.

Grouping - Did not auto group you when you went in the BG (guess this might be added later) how ever you could choose to enter the Bg as a set group. Right clicking on the player portrate gave you to the option to invite them (so sent everyone an invite I could see, which is kinda why we won so easily, group heals etc)

Drops - Got quite a few green drops appearing in the battle ground and 1 blue, got a pass need greed type pop up (bit annoying to keep clicking pass while PvPing but hohum).

Tictacs - Blocking seemed to be the best form of CC stacking bodies in choke points etc, so how you set up your formations when attacking and defending seems to be the key. Abilities were limited to about 8 each (guessing too keep it simple for the demo players) enough to give you something to think about in the demo though.

Moral - Tbh took me until about halfway through the game to ask Sparda what the funny blue bar did. Had slots for four abilities that lit up as your moral went up. Abilites were nice but did not seem to be game breakers

Renown Points (the holy RP!) - Apparently renown points buy armour from vendors and new vendors are unlocked as you rise, armour is equal to PvE ones, more uses for Renown points planned for release.

Playstyle - Alot more forgiving than DAOC and WoW in PvP. More team work than WoW, but not quite the possible insta gib of DAOC team PvP, so even a poor team takes a while to wear down. Imo this was good, gives people more combat time (allowing them more time to learn).

All in all was dead good fun easy to pick up but im guessing it will be alot of play back value learning different defense and attack strats for the Bg's. However im still abit jittery about the Battlegrounds being the predominent RvR (best way of getting Rp's etc), but if we get a nice mix of Bg's and open RvR I will be happy.

Made me want to play it more :(

Oh and some kid asked for Requiels autograph !

Sparda

Fledgling Freddie
as above realy, pity we missed Paul, and those fantastic sunnys!

Made me want to play it more

That was the general idea of it :p

Did you not know he is realy a god!

vayasen

Fledgling Freddie
I agree, if they make Scenarios the mainstream for PVP....i go tthis horrid vision of a WOW mk2. Sad really after DAOCS amazing open RVR ;[.

still, praying im wrong but its all pointing towards BGs atm (can we call them BGS...thats what they are)

Also, setting Dryden (sparda) on inexpereienced War players isnt fair ;)

Zenythe

[GOA] English Servers GM

Please, for the love of all that is good and fluffy in the world tell me you are indeed kidding...

ok then... note to self... Requiel might need humbling when he gets back in work tomorrow...

*wanders off looking for the laxative tea*

Glad everyone had a good time though... I'll hijack him tomorrow to get the lowdown on you lot then....

-Zen

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
If it helps that kid was running around getting anyone who was even the least bit important's autograph. I think it was him who got Paul Barnett to sign a poster for a different game...

Good fun at the games day - though my feet are killing me.

Apparently the computers they were using are allergic to me though - I got on one machine near the start of the day and all of a sudden things started crashing (noone could get an orc class into the scenario). It all started working again magically the moment I stopped playing...

Decided to try again later on with a bright wizard and sure enough - boom :p there goes my machine. I appear to be cursed :p

The time I was online though was absolutely brilliant :)

I was impressed by how enthusiastic Paul Barnett managed to remain in the face of rabid WAR fans demanding photos/glasses/etc. despite having just been through 2 days of a convention in france.

Unfortunately he vanished rather than coming for a pint in the Novotel so I didn't get to pester him with too many pointless fanboi questions...

Though at the gamesday I did manage to ask what his favourite things in game are at the moment and if my dodgy memory serves correctly it included:

1. The "It's not ready yet" voice on the beta client
2. Elven parsley (it's an item in game apparently)
3. The fact there's a paul barnett NPC he can fly around the world as, though it lacks the ability to add weapons (such as a pair of specs and a camera phone...)

Naetha

Fledgling Freddie
Had an awesome time yesterday, loved playing the Gates of Ekrund scenario, although now I'm getting WAR withdrawal symptoms :(

Had all good intentions of going to the novotel afterwards for yet more geekery, but we were all exhausted come 4pm, and decided to go home instead! Disappointed we missed Paul as well - guess we just weren't there at the right time.

The non-WAR stuff was good as well, picked up Talisman which I used to play as a kid loads, as well as looking at some lovely 40k stuff :D

The_Daddy

Fledgling Freddie
Had a great day too, was overwhelmed by the scale of the event. Spent a good 3 hours around the GOA stand & managed to see the elusive Barnett as well. Played 3 times in the end (Shaman, Bright Wizard & Magus)

I must say I really enjoyed the Shaman & Bright Wizard. I didnt really get to grips with the Magus as it was a rushed choice following a crash of my original choice a Choppa :) I think I may end up going a healing type class as throwing in the big heals now and again as the shaman was a good feeling.

So which one were you Iain, I was tempted to ask but didnt waant to scare you off ;)

The_Daddy

Fledgling Freddie
Ah that's good to know, I saw Iain too then. Well I guess you couldn't miss him as he never left the stand all the time I was there :)

Dervish

Fledgling Freddie
It was a good day for sure. :)

Flim you are indeed cursed and I was chuffed that when you puked the Bright Wizard your client was on the big screen at the front of the stand - you gimp.

Well done to Iain and the other guys who did amazingly well given the limted time they had to prepare the stand for Games Day and the tight little space you were crammed into. Made for good convention WAAAAGGGHHH!!! I suppose.

The Barnett was looking good considering his schedule and I got an "Orc Duo" photo of us both, TY for camera duties Flim.

OH and Iain --> I don't ever wanna see you use this emoticon in a post ever.. :drink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom