Clown

Part of the furniture
I can't make up my mind. Someone just needs to tell me which is best :p

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Get the 5d3. There, decision made. Now pick a fucking competition topic. :eek:

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
it's a medium format film camera, you put film in it and press the button

Clown

Part of the furniture
I like the sound of it. Is it a good price? How much is films? What do I do about lenses?
Educate me.

milou

Part of the furniture
£400 would get a decent medium format body and standard 80mm lens - about £700 needed for a Hasselblad. Films can be processed and scanned to bring them into the digital darkroom and the best ones can be drum scanned for highest quality.

old.user4556

You ever fancied a spin with film Milou?

milou

Part of the furniture
Aye but I know I wouldn't get the use from the gear. How about you?

old.user4556

I don't think I've got the patience for it. I was reading Joe Cornish's "Scotland's Mountains" and the work and effort put into lugging large format tech up some of the hills and waiting for the right shot is just unbelievably humbling - never mind the photography, but the sheer effort alone.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
The difference between film and digital is that with the former, you can't just be snap-happy and shoot whatever you like. It forces you to think more about what you're doing.

milou

Part of the furniture
Even with digital you can develop a workflow so there's little reason to take multiple frames.

milou

Part of the furniture
I don't think I've got the patience for it. I was reading Joe Cornish's "Scotland's Mountains" and the work and effort put into lugging large format tech up some of the hills and waiting for the right shot is just unbelievably humbling - never mind the photography, but the sheer effort alone.
He's digital now. His DVD With Landscape in Mind is worth a purchase.

I did consider a LF course with Tim Parkin and Dav Thomas but what if I really took to it?! More gear...

old.user4556

Awesome ta, I'll pickup a copy of that I think! Didn't know he was digital, looks like one of those pricey Phase 1 thingies based on the trailer for his DVD.

milou

Part of the furniture
Yus but he now has a Phase IQ180. There's a segment in the film when he's in the forest which is quite something.

old.user4556

Full-frame fantasy continues (speaking of bargains), and today I would like to suggest the left field option of Samyang / Rokinon primes.

As I mentioned above, I need a fast wide angle "milky way" lens - the wider the better so that star trails are less obvious. Canon's only offering is the 14mm f/2.8 L at the thick end of £2000. Enter the Samyang 14mm f/2.8 for fraction of the price at £260. But how do they stack up?

Samyang - http://www.photozone.de/canon_eos_ff/532-samyang14f28eosff?start=1

Canon - http://www.photozone.de/canon_eos_ff/541-canon14f28mk2ff?start=1

Minus the easily-correctable distortion, I'd say the Samyang is a god damn bargain; resolution and CA control are fan-fucking-tastic right from wide open and knock the Canon out of the park. This is the full-frame astro lens I've been looking for! But why stop there? What about their other lenses?

Canon's 35mm f/1.4 L comes in at £1160 with the Samyang 35mm f/1.4 at £340 - how do they compare?

Samyang - http://www.photozone.de/canon_eos_ff/657-samyang35f14eosff?start=1

Canon - http://www.photozone.de/canon_eos_ff/516-canon35f14ff?start=1

So, that'll be another Samyang in the bag of primes. The resolution and CA control on full-frame are just sensational. Samyang also have a recently released 24mm at £500, although there are no reviews of it yet I would expect it to easily be on par with it's wider siblings. That's not all, this summer will see Samyang's 24mm T/S. Again, remains to be seen if it can compete with Canon and Nikon, but if it's priced anything like their other lenses, then this is the most cost effective upgrade to my landscape kit that I can buy.

I could pickup the Samyang 14mm, 24mm and 35mm for £1100 in either Canon or Nikon mount and then pickup whatever full-frame body I choose. Give me a reason not to!?

old.user4556

I know it sounds like a cheap Korean car, but just look at the sample photos; seriously, it's time to take the Canon tinted glasses off ;) :p

Clown

Part of the furniture
35mm is pretty tempting but I'm not fucking around with manual focus.

old.user4556

35mm is pretty tempting but I'm not fucking around with manual focus.

I can understand why, but I generally only use manual focus for landscapes.

Piece of duff with live view.

Does that matter that much though if you're a manual focus person? Set the focus marker just past 2m with an appropriate aperture and let DoF take care of the sharpness / focus?

Clown

Part of the furniture
Might drive up to Scotland end of April. I have a week off so I might as well do something. Will be aiming to drive some cool roads and take some cool pictures. Don't know anything about planning routes though, hotels or anything really. Is it something I can just wing?

old.user4556

You can never wing landscapes! Get yourself a download of The Photographers Ephemeris and use it to plot your sunsets and sunrises for the locations you want to shoot.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Get drunk and crash into a car outside his window, then start a fight with some Poles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom