News For camera nerds only

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
I'm now 75-25 in favour of Canon based on the images. Someone needs to challenge this brilliantly to stop me ordering soon! :)

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
I'm just back in the house from a brutal hillwalk, heading out again shortly, when I get in tonight I will post irrefutable evidence / proof on what you should purchase.

Watch this space!

Clown

Part of the furniture

Timelapses are what pushed me to buy a camera in the first place.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
I'd best try all three - it's only right!
dude, I can only say...go for it! perhaps as your big birthday pressie? I just had a mental image of you cruising round NZ in a small British sports car and a hamper full of yummies and camera kit in the back hehe :D

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
I spent 5 weeks in NZ and that was too short tbh: I had to keep moving, and think about skipping places. at a guess, 7 would have been more or less spot on for a "fast" trip down there. I mean, your ticket outlay has to be "worth it" imo. If you truly are considering three months, could be a good idea to talk to DaGaffer or others on here that have "recently" done more extensive traveling.

My last "big" trip was three months in Australia in '07, and 5 weeks in NZ in...uh...'04 iirc. In the mean while it's weeks here, 14 days there. I've visited Norway, Iceland and Sweden that way, and will be hitting up Italy (Tuscany) early this summer.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber

Slightly tongue-in-cheek but a pretty decent (if not all that thorough and impartial) comparison.

old.user4556

Okay, here's what sticks in my throat about the latest cameras and the general progression of technology in said cameras. Now remember, this is all my own opinion and should be factored into the whole purchase such as "what camera system is best, what lenses do I need and what works for my own photography". If you suck at photography, no kit in the world will save you :).

Canon's sensor technology is rapidly falling behind Sony's - it's that simple and it annoys me. The amount of effort and care I need to put into my 7D shots because it suffers from vertical banding (or "read out noise") is frustrating. Only a small amount of post processing (curves, pushing contrast) makes the ugly banding appear which leads me to either running it through heavy noise reduction or I just accept I can't manipulate images the way I want to. My old Pentax has much more workable images, not to mention the new Pentax K-5 has much cleaner image quality and much higher dynamic range that my 7D just can't get close to.

Given that Sony's new Exmor technology has been out for a while now, I was expecting great things for the new sensor in the 5D Mk3. I'm disappointed.

Let me illustrate. This is the scene from DPReview's studio test shot showing a reasonably well lit scene.

DSC_0241_1.jpg

Here is a crop of a dark section with dark lowlights.

dark.jpg

Here is the same section from the 5D Mk3 at ISO 100 with the fill light set to 100 (approximately four stops). The chroma noise and banding is evident in spades.

5D3_5199.jpg

Here is the same section from the D800 with the same settings.

DSC_0241.jpg

See it with your own eyes. The dynamic range at ISO 100 of the sensor in the D800 (which will be the same tech at the sensor in the Nikon D7000, Pentax K-5, Sony NEX C3 etc. etc.) is just vastly superior to Canon's very latest sensor. There are huge arguments raging across the camera forums from "expose the shot properly" to "why would you ever want to push shadows four stops", but it doesn't change the fact you can expose for a very high dynamic range scene primarily for the highlights then easily recover the shadows later on in post processing without any detriment to the image quality or nasty chroma noise. If you're a landscape photographer, this a superb option to have in the bag.

This video is a good explanation of the benefits of low read-out noise:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dwp7jfcsRSo

At the end of the day, it depends on what matters to you most from a camera system; but Canon's sensors are lagging behind and if you're looking to make a jump into a top spec camera by spending upwards of £3000, make sure you get the best system with the best results. For me, that would be the Nikon D800 which is still £500 less than the Mk3.

milou

Part of the furniture
If you have a heavy investment in say Canon lenses, or third party ones such Zeiss, then your decision is made unless the benefits of switching are so immense to warrant losses on the sale of the lenses.

old.user4556

I absolutely agree with you there, I would just like to know that Canon were addressing the growing concern that their sensor tech is falling behind the competition. I'd be interested to know if anything is stopping Canon using Sony sensors as well (given that everyone else in that market segment is using them), I understand that they some Sony sensors are present in some of their point and shoot range.

old.user4556

I personally wouldn't worry, it's not a machine gun or sports cam. Im only taking a few shots a week so would take a chance a that price! ;)

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Hah, it's kinda apt that a 5D3 was used to take pictures of a stricken D800. :)

old.user4556

There is amusing irony in there :).

old.user4556

For sure, I'm just keeping an eye on the infancy failures that are getting reported.

old.user4556

Either camera are going to give you great results; the Mk3 is flawless, minus the lack of DR improvement.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Yeah I agree, they're both great but I think for me the Canon just suits a little more. Wonder if Jessops have any on display, heading into town tomorrow so might have a look. I'm also veering towards getting the 24-70 too. Fuck it. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom