FH Fitness Thread

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Yep. Exercise for exercise's sake is tedious (I could get into running though - the progression you experience is amazing and quite uplifting - but chocolate ankles).

Agree with @Bodhi - simply moving before or after work makes you feel much better, although I do need an exercise that gets my heart up a bit more daily golf has certainly kept my auntie sprightly and mobile into her late seventies so far :)

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
I totally agree mate, I also find running / gyming boring not to mention the gym is full of protein shake wankers. I try to fit in fitness around daily life - I walk nearly 2 miles every day to get my lunch and I'll supplement that with a 45 minute bike ride after work. I used to go running but it fucked my ankles and find the cycling much more fun.

Golf is great exercise, fuck tonne of walking, especially if you carry your clubs.

I think people underestimate just how much exercise there is in a game of golf - back when I cared enough to have a step counter 18 holes would easily break 15,000 steps, if not 20,000 depending on how inaccurate my driving was :) All that with 20kg minimum on your back sure does burn a few calories.

It's the only exercise my gran has ever done, and she's still going at 94.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Yeah but the calories burnt are offset by the paunch gained when you get your xj300.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Just ridden from Nottingham to Sheffield, mostly offroad, on my big enduro rig. Legs are starting to feel it.

On the train home. Just had a quick pint of Jaipur at the Sheffield station tap (worth getting off the train for if you're ever passing through). Got myself a can of High Wire Grapefruit ale and a can of A to the K.

Harry Dean Stanton popped it yesterday. Gutted. I bought a rabbit pie on my travels so tonight I shall be cooking that, getting my beers (and a bottle of wine) out and watching Paris, Texas. :)

Exioce

Part of the furniture
We did the Nevis Range Red Giant (Gondola) the other weekend.
"Only a red route" we thought, failing to take into account that downhill red does not relate to our usual cross country red routes. Think we all went over the handlebars at least once, but was totally worth it.
Red Giant (Gondola) - Nevis Range
ENDURO-Guide-to-Fort-William-With-Hannah-Barnes-5229-1140x760.jpg

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Gah, I hate boardwalk. So much risk for so little gain, I'd much rather have proper berms.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Gah, I hate boardwalk. So much risk for so little gain, I'd much rather have proper berms.
I enjoy boardwalk where it's appropriate - to take you over bogs and unpassable gaps - where the trail would be unable to exist otherwise. I don't really find it to be much of a risk any more either as I'm *much* more used to it.

Quite like the berms, but tbh what I love is natural singletrack rather than the bike parky stuff - but then I can't jump :)

Exioce

Part of the furniture
What was the setup like? Not done it yet.
Loads of bedrock, rock steps, drops, some fast bits of boardwalk to catch your breath on. The gondola is great to take you up there, which goes over the world cup downhill route (made us feel ill just watching riders on that one).
Top stuff, though we all got the wind knocked out of our sails and were glad to get to the bottom. A few x-country red routes at the bottom kept us busy the rest of the afternoon.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
My sunday was spent on the moors and eating a big roast dinner at a pub in widecombe in the moor.

Lovely :)

Gumbo

FH is my second home
I did my first organised race today since my teens. It was a 5k race at an equestrian centre around their cross country course. Horse jumps, river wades etc. 50 Obstacles in 5k. I have no idea how I did, find out tomorrow night apparently, but looking at last years times I'd have won my age group! (Last year was much muddier though...)

I didn't do ANY run training at all, just the workouts that I do in my living room most days. P90X, Insanity etc. So pleased to get round the whole course without walking or puking.

Looking forward to the next thing that I can do now :)

Gumbo

FH is my second home
Oooh results came in just now. 15th out of 150, 2nd in my age group. :eek6: Very happy with that, perhaps I should train some running before the next one.

Agell

One of Freddy's beloved
Completed my first Ironman yesterday, fuck it hurts today!

Attachments

• 6824C2A0-E0D6-4F31-B05A-456FCA0A5165.jpeg
    6824C2A0-E0D6-4F31-B05A-456FCA0A5165.jpeg
    825.3 KB · Views: 13

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Joined the local climbing club before xmas - only went to one sesh as holiday got in the way. They've got a bouldering wall etc. Was good fun.

Was thinking of going back as it'd be good for my upper body strength. But. Erm. Nope?

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
I started going to a bouldering wall in Newcastle a few months before Christmas, great fun but I really can't see me ever doing anything like what you posted @Scouse .

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I started going to a bouldering wall in Newcastle a few months before Christmas, great fun but I really can't see me ever doing anything like what you posted @Scouse .
I've not got enough upper body strength to even start the n00b routes at bouldering. I can climb about on it, but that's about it...

Gumbo

FH is my second home
I've bouldered for a couple of years now, although not that much for the last few months due to stuff.

Upper body strength is overrated, sure you'll have the gorillas in the centre campussing (climbing only with hands) everything, but climbing is mostly footwork and making the right shapes.

See if your local place does a short bouldering course to get you started right. Mine, Highball in Norwich, do a 6 week one and a half hour each week course which gets the fundamentals dialled in. I'm an old man (42) and not that strong (6 pull ups or so) and I can outclimb plenty of young chargers who turn up with loads of strength and no technique.

It's a really fun and challenging sport with easy to see progression through harder and harder climbs so very rewarding that way.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Upper body strength is overrated, sure you'll have the gorillas in the centre campussing (climbing only with hands) everything, but climbing is mostly footwork and making the right shapes.
Yeah, I get that climbing is mostly footwork - but it's the upper body I need. I need that gorilla, rather than anything to do with my legs.

I'll see if they do a bouldering course once I've done some callesthenics (if I do 'em) to give myself an upper body baseline.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Yeah, I get that climbing is mostly footwork - but it's the upper body I need. I need that gorilla, rather than anything to do with my legs.

I'll see if they do a bouldering course once I've done some callesthenics (if I do 'em) to give myself an upper body baseline.
8A1F6D0E-F96C-49E6-8350-9A36D63B1CA1.png

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Ok. I've been talking about it for ages but not done anything about it: upper body, shoulders and core.

I want a routine I can do twice a week, preferably at home and with as little equipment as possible, that will add strength and conditioning (not after *massive* bulk) and stability. Something that is explained as to a total novice who knows back shit.

Anyone got links to a simple to follow programme with not too many moves?

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Ok. I've been talking about it for ages but not done anything about it: upper body, shoulders and core.

I want a routine I can do twice a week, preferably at home and with as little equipment as possible, that will add strength and conditioning (not after *massive* bulk) and stability. Something that is explained as to a total novice who knows back shit.

Massive long wanks.

Exioce

Part of the furniture

Can't get simpler or more highly recommended than Starting Strength.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttbAAZOd3EM

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom