FH Fitness Thread

dysfunction

FH is my second home
I get a bit of that Tom - just could eat and eat and eat.

I find that if I'm not on a low carb diet (I'm on keto at the moment - so weight is dropping off, because I'm not hungry) - then I crave food. Carbs just make me want to eat more, make me crave food.

The o/h and I both look forward to our bouts of keto because being free from hunger is really liberating.

Not sure why it is. Perhaps leptin resistance drops with a low carb diet (interesting article) but whatever it is, when I'm on keto and doing a long endurance bike ride (not high heart rate stuff) I can literally go all day and not eat a thing, get back home and begrudge cooking dinner.

Of course, stick me on a lung busting technical climb and I've no available carbs to burn, so I'm shit.

I'm not doing keto but I have being having a much lower carb diet and lower calorie diet. Aiming for less than 100g of carbs a day.
Still allows me to eat things like a pasta or something in the day and also have a low calorie beer (Michelob Ultra). Cut out loads of bread and potatoes. I do get a little bit hungry but nothing I can't ignore or some water won't fix.

I started this in Jan and have lost 5kg. I wasn't and am not fat and it's difficult to see where that 5kg was but I was in the bottom of the unhealthy BMI range.
I want to lose another 3 or 4kg. which will place me middle of the healthy BMI range.

I'm not massively active at the moment as I hate the gym, running or cycling. I don't mind walking. I need to do things that don't feel like exercise like playing a sport or something.
Although in lockdown I have been doing those 1 minute exercises they show on tv and doing a few 5k walks on a Sunday.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I started this in Jan and have lost 5kg. I wasn't and am not fat and it's difficult to see where that 5kg was but I was in the bottom of the unhealthy BMI range.
I want to lose another 3 or 4kg. which will place me middle of the healthy BMI range.
Cracking progress there Dys. :clap:

It's what I'm aiming for - I'm at 24.8 at the moment and the 'healthy' bmi range for me is huge 10st4 > 13st13. If I could get to 12.5st I'd be happier (moving is just easier the less you weigh and loads of niggling aches and pains go away)

II'm not massively active at the moment as I hate the gym, running or cycling. I don't mind walking. I need to do things that don't feel like exercise like playing a sport or something.
Although in lockdown I have been doing those 1 minute exercises they show on tv and doing a few 5k walks on a Sunday.
Exercise for exercise sake is hard IMO. If you've got a couple of mates why not try cycling as a "pootle to the pub" (or cafe) - something social to do together at a slow pace rather than a racing slog?

I.E. Associate it with social mixing - like you did as a kid - just 'playing outside'?

Exercise shouldn't be the goal. Seeing your friends and having a laugh should be. It's just the activities you choose to do whilst doing it :)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I've been getting more involved with active travel in my area, volunteering, contributing, etc. I'd quite like a change of career into that tbh. But anyway, it's true that getting people more active is one of the best ways we have to solve the obesity crisis. There aren't any downsides. The trouble is, it demands a carrot and stick approach - the carrot being the pleasant, comfortable liveable neighbourhood you now have. The stick being that it's a right pain in the arse to drive anywhere around it. Many local politicians are shit scared of doing anything that makes driving more difficult, so we still have people driving half a mile to the shop.

LTNs are very contentious at the moment, but people have no idea that they're not a new idea, just the implementation and consultation has changed. There are LTNs everywhere you care to look, quietly doing their job for decades. Here's a pic of one in the Southwest that was implemented in the 1970s. The documentary that covers it is here:

screenshot-www.google.com-2021.03.24-11_08_14.png

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I've been getting more involved with active travel in my area, volunteering, contributing, etc. I'd quite like a change of career into that tbh. But anyway, it's true that getting people more active is one of the best ways we have to solve the obesity crisis. There aren't any downsides. The trouble is, it demands a carrot and stick approach - the carrot being the pleasant, comfortable liveable neighbourhood you now have. The stick being that it's a right pain in the arse to drive anywhere around it. Many local politicians are shit scared of doing anything that makes driving more difficult, so we still have people driving half a mile to the shop.

LTNs are very contentious at the moment, but people have no idea that they're not a new idea, just the implementation and consultation has changed. There are LTNs everywhere you care to look, quietly doing their job for decades. Here's a pic of one in the Southwest that was implemented in the 1970s. The documentary that covers it is here:

View attachment 44038
LTNs are not a good idea, they're just a way to introduce another mechanism of fines. Motoring is always the target for fines because you have multiple opportunities for trigger points for the fines (don't park in the lines just right, arrive at wrong day/time, etc.).

LTNs also just move congestion as they're not taking any cars off the roads as well as causing other issues. We're just creating another NIMBY tool for people to interfere in each others lives whilst councils quietly pick up money off the floor without anyone noticing.

If they really wanted to make these things stick then they'd implement more revolutionary ideas. Maybe a scheme where you could trade in your drivers licence and get free public transport in return.

Also, if I've got the same street right: Google Maps it's surrounded by car parking and not stopping anyone using it.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I've had this argument a few times and all I can say is that you're wrong on every point. LTNs only introduce fines if bus gates are used, in which case the fines are issued because people ignore clear signage.

> LTNs also just move congestion

Yes, they move it to main roads, where it belongs. And traffic patterns aren't fixed - people making unnecessary car journeys can either choose to delay or combine their journey with something else. Or they choose to walk/cycle on lovely quiet residential streets.

Let's face it, if someone said "the main road is badly congested, we need to sort it out by allowing hundreds of cars/lorries/vans down this little residential street", it would go precisely nowhere. Yet that's what the opponents of LTNs want - polluted residential streets for their convenience.

> Also, if I've got the same street right: Google Maps it's surrounded by car parking and not stopping anyone using it.

The car parking was designed into the system. It's explained very well in the video I posted. The streets are access only and only those who break the law will use them as a shortcut.

By the way, LTNs tend to reduce traffic not only within the LTN, but also along its boundary roads.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I don't know. There's pros and cons but I struggle with the retrofitting of existing infrastructure tbh - we've designed neighbourhoods around driving to your door and the convenience of that. Wrestling that away from people is going to be a hell of a task even though there are undoubtedly benefits to be gained (quiet traffic-free streets which are safe for kids to play in being one - not that they'll ditch their playstations for them anyway).

I think wholesale access to a comprehensive network of traffic free routes would probably drive a lot of change tbh.

With the advent of electric vehicles I can't see people leaving their car parked on a main road plugged in - we'll be wanting to charge outside our houses. I could go with it as an idea though.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
They're everywhere already, they just didn't have a name people could use. Here's one in Bolton that must be 30-40 years old. Try plotting a route from one main road to the next. It won't let you get through by car. That's by design. You can walk or cycle through though, no problem.

They've become more necessary because of routing apps that send traffic off the main roads to shave a few minutes from a journey. And it's worth noting that in areas where LTNs have been recently installed and then made permanent (planters are part of the consultation), the desire for removing them is pretty much non-existent. The mini-Hollands in Waltham Forest were hated at first, with big campaigns claiming they'd destroy the area. Now they've been there for 5-6 years, people love them. There is literally zero support for their removal.

Cars are great, I've always liked them. But there's a time and a place for them and its on a main road, doing a journey that would otherwise not be possible.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
"Unstable angina
Unstable angina is the least serious type of ACS. However, like NSTEMI, it is still a medical emergency as it can also progress to serious heart damage or STEMI. In unstable angina, the blood supply to the heart is still seriously restricted, but there is no permanent damage, so the heart muscle is preserved."

Overnight Sunday... effectively a mild heart attack and definitely a final wake up call for this old degenerate. Smoking gotta properly stop, and the covid-induced 'welded to desk chair' exercise non-regime has to go out of the window. I am lucky to live in central London with some nice parks and canals to walk (and we are talking walking only for now) so I will be aiming to get into a daily bit further each day routine to try to build both legs and heart back up to 'basically acceptable' and then 'almost normal' as a minimum over coming weeks.

I am not sure I have ever posted in this thread - I know I am amazed at how well some people have done and admire those other 'triers'. This post is me finally coming clean about all this and inviting encouraging peer-pressure to come to bear so I have nowhere to hide :)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Cycling burns fewer calories than walking, so if you run out of puff and want to go further, it's the natural choice. And you have the beginnings of a nice protected cycle network in the centre now (apart from those dinosaurs at Kensington and Chelsea).

Good luck buying a new bike though....

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
"Unstable angina
Unstable angina is the least serious type of ACS. However, like NSTEMI, it is still a medical emergency as it can also progress to serious heart damage or STEMI. In unstable angina, the blood supply to the heart is still seriously restricted, but there is no permanent damage, so the heart muscle is preserved."

Overnight Sunday... effectively a mild heart attack and definitely a final wake up call for this old degenerate. Smoking gotta properly stop, and the covid-induced 'welded to desk chair' exercise non-regime has to go out of the window. I am lucky to live in central London with some nice parks and canals to walk (and we are talking walking only for now) so I will be aiming to get into a daily bit further each day routine to try to build both legs and heart back up to 'basically acceptable' and then 'almost normal' as a minimum over coming weeks.

I am not sure I have ever posted in this thread - I know I am amazed at how well some people have done and admire those other 'triers'. This post is me finally coming clean about all this and inviting encouraging peer-pressure to come to bear so I have nowhere to hide :)
Make it better dude. You need stents ?
you need to get to your scottish holiday.

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Make it better dude. You need stents ?
you need to get to your scottish holiday.

Thanks mate, and yes, Scotland planning is moving along for September... I already did the stents (hence my embarrassment as still smoking, to my shame) back in 2008 and 2017.... follow up from this event will be more checks and meds adjustment.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Wowzers @Jupitus. Glad you're OK (ish!).

I'm with @Tom. When I first got back into cycling (from last doing it before Uni) I could do about 3 miles before having to stop and rest. I was properly unfit. And I have to say, a little "no pain no gain" applied.

What worked for me was making my friends get out on bikes so we could go places together. Instead of meeting up in the pub for football we met up on the bikes, to go to a variety of pubs about ten miles away. - That way, we went ten miles out, couple of pints, nice and social, ten miles back.

Did that at weekends and one or two nights in the week. It completely transformed my health and it didn't do my social relationships any harm either.

Personally, if I were you - I'd look at changing the focus of your driving holiday in scotland - and rent something practical that gets you to places where you can walk. And aim for 3-4 hour walks in the morning (over whatever ground) and then have a nice relax / bit of grub and then another half hour stroll to walk your dinner off.

I don't think "start small" works tbh - be ambitious. Set yourself a target and try to reach it - but if you only do 80% of it, then you're doing 80% of something ambitious - which is great.

Ambitious might be a ten mile bike ride or a couple of hours walking over uneven ground. Ambitious doesn't mean a 10 hour hike with 3000 feet of elevation gain. It's just "more" and "continual improvement" is the goal.

Lastly, don't beat yourself up. That means go easy on yourself emotionally. (However, you kinda need to concede "being good to yourself" now includes getting sweaty, out of breath and having sore legs for a couple of days)

It'll be fun m8. You'll enjoy yourself and then start kicking yourself for why haven't you been doing this shit for years :)

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
"Unstable angina

Walking is a great start. My dad had a couple of health scares in his mid to late 50's and took up walking as a hobby, doing 6-8 miles a day at least (helps that he is retired obviously). He cut out a lot of sugar from his diet as well and the weight fell off him, and he looks healthier now at 65 than I remember him looking at 45, and says he feels that way as well.

I hope you're doing OK!

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Ditto @Aoami there. Walking's great. Especially if it involves a bit of elevation because you can't help get a little out of breath.

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Cycling burns fewer calories than walking, so if you run out of puff and want to go further, it's the natural choice. And you have the beginnings of a nice protected cycle network in the centre now (apart from those dinosaurs at Kensington and Chelsea).

Good luck buying a new bike though....

Thanks @Tom and @Scouse re cycling. When young (yeah yeah, a distant memory :D ) I used to cycle a heck of a lot but back then I lived in leafy Surrey rather than central London. From when I went to college onwards I have been in central London, and often moving around, so bike ownership and safe-keeping has put me off. Same is still true now, probably, although last holiday was at center parcs and I did enjoy zipping round on a mountain bike during that stay. I think for now I'll stick to walking, although without ruling out some possible longer Santander cycle rides once I get some progress under my belt. I don't want to make excuses, and indeed that is not the motivation for adding some more details, but my own self-neglect has had other side effects I am countering:

1. Sciatica - was becoming a very real issue up until a few months ago when I bit the bullet and got a Secret Labs Titan 2020 which has been miraculous. Definitely getting a lot better but can invade at times.
2. Verrucas - yep - neglect of my feet and although I didn't realise, I basically have a major invasion of verrucae on the sole / ball of my right foot. Ironically I didn't even know until I also got a corn amongst them which was agonising and led to the start of a string of repeat visits to the podiatrist. This has been improving significantly, but I stopped those visits when the 2nd wave got bad. Gonna get them resumed, probably increased frequency to weekly.

These are not limiting factors and will not stop me, but I have to accept it is going to be a long road back. I did just get out and record 4.2k steps or 1.67 miles, which I feel is a good start 36 hours after my event. That was enough to cause the onset of some leg pain but not so bad that I am not keeping moving now back at home. For reference, I do have a Versa 3 fitbit and have set it to a heart rate zone of 90-110 - I calculated this based on BHF guidance and the meds I take typically dropping heart rate by about 10bpm, so it ought to be a decent range for the heart (my main focus) to be getting some benefit. I'll also add that although overweight, it is slight and not criminal levels, plus stable. Fortunately I am not a fan of chocolate or sweet foods, and I have been taking more notice of my food intake over recent months so I know what kind of things I should be aiming for. I am, however, not about to go fucking crazy on pulses and grains like some self-discovered hippy ;).

Thanks for your comments and advice, everyone !

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Don't look at cycling as exercise, integrate it into your daily activity. Consider a cargo bike for shopping. Look at e-bikes (or e-cargo bikes) for general stuff. Anything to get more activity in without noticing it.

I rarely use my car for shopping now. I use a 70-year-old roadster that looks like a right heap, with a Burley Travoy trailer, and do the supermarket stuff with that.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
"Unstable angina

Wowzers. Yeah, that would be a wake up call. I'm in reasonable shape, could lose a few pounds but pre-lock down I was definitely more active, at work alone I used to walk at least 5 miles a day in and out the warehouse/office/yard etc and busy at weekends tramping about with a rucksack. Giving my bike a decent service tonight and planning some long distance rides for camping...well, building up to. But yeah, over lockdown I have definitely got more lazy and there are days when the only walking I do it from bed to desk to kitchen etc, with the odd stroll to the toilet. Thankfully my eating habits haven't really changed, if anything they have got better because I have more time to cook.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
You got proper ultralight tent for a prepper @Raven? :)

I've got me one of these. It's f00king brilliant.

Used it twice. I kind of live where previously I'd have gone camping. Not sure whether to put a happy or sad smiley here!

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I use a 3 man, can't remember the brand, but it's just shy of 1.5 kg. If the wife comes with there is enough room for the both of us. I will get myself a new tent this year but waiting to see some in action first, I have my eye on a few.

All goes in my Predator 80-130 PLCE - Karrimor SF with 2 x15 ltr PLCE, so size isn't a massive issue...but, trying to trim it all down, so I can fit it on bike panniers at the moment. Edit, fuck me at the current price, mine was half that 3-4 years ago. Also, don't mind the brand, they still make very solid rucksacks, I'm not sure if that part of the business was sold to Mike Ashley.

Need a more compact sleeping bag too.

tbh, in the summer I might just get a bivvy bag, got my eye on this Elan free-standing hooped bivvy bag, it has a rigid head end which would make a world of difference.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
"Unstable angina

Glad you're starting to move about before we all started confusing you with a garden gnome :p

I'd say knock the further every day bit off your walks. Each day you go is a day in the bank and it takes the pressure off

View: https://youtu.be/NVGuFdX5guE

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Glad you're starting to move about before we all started confusing you with a garden gnome :p

CNUT.

I'd say knock the further every day bit off your walks. Each day you go is a day in the bank and it takes the pressure off

Great video, SepticPeg - I think the wording does not truly describe the aim. If anything, as per that video, it's a theme, which is 'heart'. When I say increase a little, I am really getting at the need to get back up to a base level where my legs don't hurt climbing the stairs or walking to the pub... once I reach base camp I'll be physically able to choose to do more if I want, which right now is not the situation. Thanks for the comment though - valuable.

Bob007

Prince Among Men
The beer in that pub that's just a slight further then the one you go to is so much better. Just sayin ;)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Need a more compact sleeping bag too.
Have a look at Alpkit's 2-3 season down sleeping bags. Good price/performance point for small crushable stuff. Obviously you need to keep down dry but it's thermal performance is great.

Tried a bivvy, it wasn't worth the weight saving over that tent tbh.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Nice to hear you got lucky Jup, seems an odd thing to say but least you now know and you're still alive.

I think people often sort of conveniently forget that the heart is a muscle and like a bicep you need to work it to make it stronger.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
I live to serve *bow*
Great video, SepticPeg - I think the wording does not truly describe the aim. If anything, as per that video, it's a theme, which is 'heart'. When I say increase a little, I am really getting at the need to get back up to a base level where my legs don't hurt climbing the stairs or walking to the pub... once I reach base camp I'll be physically able to choose to do more if I want, which right now is not the situation. Thanks for the comment though - valuable.
I think it's one of CGP Grey's best ones. I find the best way with stuff like this is to work it into something smaller. For example instead of "go for walks" pick something like "only have fresh bread from the bakers" then always walk to the bakers.

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
I find the best way with stuff like this is to work it into something smaller. For example instead of "go for walks" pick something like "only have fresh bread from the bakers" then always walk to the bakers.

I agree - I am very much in the 'baby steps' frame of mind pal (y)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber

The case for enabling (not encouraging) more walking and cycling grows stronger every day.
Absolutely. Although I'd like to see action taken on processed food. There is strong correlation between the level of processing a food has had and health outcomes. Sure, you can buy it, but tax it at 100% - and ringfence that tax for health enablement.

We had a run-in with the g/f's mum this weekend. Her daughters both tried an "intervention" last year over her weight (she has to walk around her own legs, has had knee replacement - but eating seems to be the only pleasure she has). After her knee op - to "remove pain" and "enable exercise" she's done fuck all. The last straw was after a BBQ she refused to walk up the lane with us to kick the wall at the end of our boundary (last field). Just the smallest imaginable gentle stroll. About 8 minutes there and back with a lot of pausing to fuss the cat.

That was after a one-way downhill walk into town (I think its about 1.8 miles) on Friday afternoon that took about an hour and a half and came with tears, shouting and constant complaining.

She's going to be in a wheelchair soon and it's utterly self-enforced. There's no structural physical problem that means that this is an inevitable consequence. It's just a refusal (inability) to eat the right food and move more - even when they're both retired and have all the time in the world.

I have sympathy - to change the habits of a lifetime is really difficult. Really difficult - or 70% of the population wouldn't be fatty bombatty. I wouldn't struggle, constantly, with my weight either. (Although, if I was retired, I'd be so physically active that I wouldn't really have time to eat - I'd probably go back to my 18 year old, 6foot3, 10.5 stone streak of piss weight).

It's not just laziness, although that's absolutely part of it. But it's mostly environment. We've a sugar-pushing industry and it's now cultural - for the majority of humans their lives revolve around drinking and eating - at home and socially. The skinny fucks I meet up mountains (including the 80 year old woman I was speaking to, alone, on the top of Snowdon the other weekend) have lives that revolve around being outdoors (but working joints (and skin that looks like leather)).

The tragedy with the above is that when they come to our house it's a chore, not a pleasure. They bring all of their unhealthy sedentary lifestyle with them. We've got a pressure to get out and be active at the weekend because work keeps us chained to our desks and evening exhaustion stops us pushing ourselves physically in the week. So we resent their presence, rather than are pleased by it.

Every article on "how to talk to family about their weight" says "make sure you tell them you 'love them just the way they are'".

When the truth is: You don't. Your emotions are conflicting - you love them (obvs) but at the same time they're a source of pain. And intransigent pain that won't do the right thing (even given the extenuating circumstances above) is still an annoyance.

They want to move away from their seaside-home to be closer to their daughters so they can see them more. Both of the daughters don't want that. Not only do they see them the maximum they can stomach, if they move away from the seaside resort they move away from the one place they can drag them to alleviate the boredom of being stuck inside with them.

This dynamic is going to be repeated up and down the country. And yet when we talk about legislating against sugar (or unhealthy processed foods) or closing off side-streets to enable a safe active lifestyle for those that would choose it - the public is up in arms.

It's a sad state of affairs. :(

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
After my mate at work died the other week I had a full MOT today, all looking good. I had hypertension not so long ago, at one point 165 over 100ish, now 123 over 82. More work to be done.

I'm not into all that fashion health shit, I'm going down the balanced route, plenty of proper meat and veg and exercise. Getting the pushbike serviced at the weekend, after which it is my get to work vehicle. Also taking it long distance camping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom