FH Fitness Thread

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
That's a bloody long walk.
Yeah. With the height gain of snowdon thrown in for shits and giggles. If I'd had known what I was getting into before I decided that that was definitley the walk for me...

Tell you what tho. The idea of being an ultramarathon runner or even just doing shorter fell running absolutely boggles my mind. Some people run that shit. Their level of fitness (and blister resistance) is absolutely incredible.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Being doing a mile each night, first run for 30 years, managed it in 9min first go, considering I'm 2 stone overweight, quite pleased with that.
Think that might have been beginners luck, struggling to do 9.30 now, getting shin splints, gonna rest for a week and start again.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Shin splints aren't fixed from a week of rest...

You need to work into whatever exercise you are doing to get the muscles and bone used to it gradually.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
I guess bounding into a mile after never running in my life since school, is gonna cause some problems.
Never going to run more than a mile, because I fucking hate running, it's just beyond tedious, gonna move to running through the hilly pine woods, nice and soft ground.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Terrible idea @Job. Leave the hills alone until you've got better or you will injure yourself. And if you hate running then do something else?

I suspect you hate running because you're shit at it tho. Do the couch to 5k thing but simply do each week twice - it'll get you up to speed slowly but surely. Just do it every other day (not consecutively).

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Went to the lakes with some mates to hike the 14-odd miles to the top of Scafell Pike and back from Langdale. Mean's I've topped the big three this year (albeit not in 24 hours).

Decided that as there is some amazing mtbing in the area and I'd only be there the one full day I'd take my bike to the top and ride down an alternative route, meeting back up with my mates in the pub.

I knew there'd be a lot of carrying, especially upwards, as much of that route is totally unrideable but a mate said I'd only moan if I didn't try - and she was right to be fair.

Two days later and I am still utterly fucked. :eek:

My heart rate has only just about returned to normal. The bruising on my shoulders from the carrying is considerable and my legs *hurt* (along with, well, everything else).

Apart from a couple of bits the riding was mostly shit and the bits that were supposed to be epic were deadened by that fact that I was already exhausted. But I guess it's still an achievement of sorts. (A dumb sort...)

Anyway. Riding in the lakes is ace. But not when you're accompanying walkers on a clear walking route. I don't know what the moral of the story is other than the next big mountain route I'll be riding is Snowdon - that's *much* more fun.

How's everyone else doing with their fitness pushes? :)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I'm doing the Chester Marathon in October. Currently on the fourth week of twelve weeks of training.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Terrible idea @Job. Leave the hills alone until you've got better or you will injure yourself. And if you hate running then do something else?

I suspect you hate running because you're shit at it tho. Do the couch to 5k thing but simply do each week twice - it'll get you up to speed slowly but surely. Just do it every other day (not consecutively).

Hmm. Might give that a try. I need to get a lot more active. Once I can get to do the 5k I'll join a running club or something.

Just seen there is a "Strenth and Flex" program as well which looks good too.

Nate

FH is my second home
Started running again 3 weeks ago, doing 2.5 miles every other day, found a outdoor gym has been put in at the park which is conveniently at the end of most routes I've done so finishing with some of that too! Thinking of going up to 4 miles but might try a few 3 first

Exioce

Part of the furniture
Went to the lakes with some mates to hike the 14-odd miles to the top of Scafell Pike and back from Langdale. Mean's I've topped the big three this year (albeit not in 24 hours).

Some mates and I did some mountain biking on a regular hill, which was something I'd always fancied. Like you found, it's not much fun. Long periods of carrying the bike up steep slopes or over wet heather, then the downhill sections are often too steep so you end up bleeding off all that energy.

On a positive note, we just got back from a hiking holiday in the German Alps. All the gym work pays off when you can do something like that without sore knees or aches and pains spoiling the fun.

20170802_184007.jpg
20170803_104425.jpg

20170804_110439.jpg

Attachments

• 20170803_103038.jpg
    20170803_103038.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 4

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Great pics. Looks awesome m8 :)

Some mates and I did some mountain biking on a regular hill, which was something I'd always fancied. Like you found, it's not much fun.
Think I was over egging it due to my knackered state. Still enjoyed myself. ;)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
All the gym work pays off when you can do something like that without sore knees or aches and pains spoiling the fun.
Getting panned in random spam for saying that sort of thing. But it's the usual suspects so nvm ;)

How big a hike per day were you doing that m8? Whereabouts?

Thinking of taking a week in a couple of week's time...

Exioce

Part of the furniture
After a couple of other day hikes we did the Heilbronner Weg, staying in the huts along the route. Nothing too strenuous really, as you don't have to carry full camping equipment.
It's pretty much the national hobby over there and the routes are really well provisioned.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
2 weeks into giving up smoking, I literally don't know what to do with myself. I have a load of extra energy.

Might have a wank later.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
12 mile run last Sunday, normally that'd hurt. I felt absolutely fine. Training schedules are good.

12WeekMarathonSchedulePicture.png

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
2 weeks into giving up smoking, I literally don't know what to do with myself. I have a load of extra energy.

Might have a wank later.

Piece of piss, no idea why I didn't do it earlier. A month now, saved about £120 that I would previously just burn. Missing the odd tab out of habit, when I get home from work, drinking the first coffee of the day etc, and I have no doubt I will eventually settle into the odd cig here and there in the pub but done, ex smoker.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Piece of piss, no idea why I didn't do it earlier. A month now, saved about £120 that I would previously just burn. Missing the odd tab out of habit, when I get home from work, drinking the first coffee of the day etc, and I have no doubt I will eventually settle into the odd cig here and there in the pub but done, ex smoker.
Dont settle into the odd here and there. That can soon get you back where you were.

I didnt find it that hard either once i had made up my mind to do it.

But dont go back.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
back on my keto. lost a stone already. going mountainbiking tomorrow. steak is good :)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Did over 20,000 feet of decending yesterday in Courchevel, Meribel and Saint Martin de Belleville valleys.

Was fucking epic :)

Nate

FH is my second home
Run Profile | Marathon training near Urmston | Times and Records | Strava

Properly knackered by that. Think I didn't eat enough carbs yesterday. Too hot as well. I'm chuffed with the pace though, if I can keep that up I'll do a sub-4 hour marathon.
Great job there Tom! I've had a weekend of airsoft, carrying loads of stuff around a forest for 2 and a half days was pretty tiring.

Otherwise keeping up my running 4.3 miles every other day now, will try to get some cycling in the spare days to get some non-impact exercise as I don't want to over do and get hurty knee again.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Thanks. What's better though is that once I got home I had a large McChicken sandwich meal with shake, a 500ml tub of ice cream, a 150g bag of Co-Op sea salt and chardonnay vinegar crisps (which are the shit, trust me if you like tangy crisps, they're like Discos on speed), a load of protein bars, lots of coffee too. And I'm still hungry :D I have eaten 4500 calories today and want more :(

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
I've been a bit inspired by all the various people who get up and go to the gym/running/swimming before work and decided to do something similar myself. However exercise for the sake of exercise is utterly tedious, so the new routine is:

Alarm goes at 6.
On the 1st tee at 7.
Get round 9 holes in 1 hr 15 (course is empty).
In office for 9:30.

Works for me - gets some practice in at a wife friendly time, bit of exercise, and turn up to work in a much better mood. Only tricky bit is finishing after 9 and not walking to the 10th tee.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
I've been a bit inspired by all the various people who get up and go to the gym/running/swimming before work and decided to do something similar myself. However exercise for the sake of exercise is utterly tedious, so the new routine is:

Alarm goes at 6.
On the 1st tee at 7.
Get round 9 holes in 1 hr 15 (course is empty).
In office for 9:30.

Works for me - gets some practice in at a wife friendly time, bit of exercise, and turn up to work in a much better mood. Only tricky bit is finishing after 9 and not walking to the 10th tee.

I totally agree mate, I also find running / gyming boring not to mention the gym is full of protein shake wankers. I try to fit in fitness around daily life - I walk nearly 2 miles every day to get my lunch and I'll supplement that with a 45 minute bike ride after work. I used to go running but it fucked my ankles and find the cycling much more fun.

Golf is great exercise, fuck tonne of walking, especially if you carry your clubs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom