Fao - The Biased, So Called "elite" On Excal

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
DAOC skill = reflexes, knowledge, teamwork and equipment.

Most people that rvr actively in mid have pretty nice templates by now, yet they dont perform nearly on the same level. There are those that have uber equipment yet they arent half as good players as some that still arent done with theirs. So yes, there is definetly something we have to call skill in the game.

As regards optimized grps - its seems that most albs have it in their mind that we mids always can build uberultrasupermegaoptomizedfotmgrps. We cant, and we dont. Some very few people might wait all night for that perfect group, but most random grps and even many dedicated rvr gg's have to leave mtk with what they can muster that night (i.e. maybe only 2 healers, maybe no debuffer, maybe a bb specced shammy, maybe not a balanced caster/tank dmg dealers setup etc etc).

That beeing said i agree its a shame that there isnt very much actuall playfullness in the game - rvr is treated with deadly seriousness. But as someone said, people want to win, at least some, and to do that today you need to spend alil time getting your group at least somewhat viable.

Marc

FH is my second home
lol there is minimil skill in daoc but the irc pricks would have us believe that the skill levels in DAoC are sky high.

Marc

FH is my second home
Aeicaan said:
why would ppl be so retarded and run like that? or maybe its just you
that why almost all albs suck so hard, because they have played this game to long and still cant play it with gimp specs and gimp groups

lol@you if anyone is a retard its you

Loxleyhood

Fledgling Freddie
The people who believe that there is no skill in DAoC are the people who are not very good at it. Skill is a very important part of DAoC; for example, say if Elajt ebayed his Infil, do you think the new owner would play as well? And why not? He would have the very same artifacts, charges, Realm Abilities etc. etc. So surely skill is a very, if not the most important part of DAoC.

Fluid

Can't get enough of FH
If theres no skill in daoc, why are NP streaks ahead of all other mid guild grps who play in set grps and are similar Realm Ranks?

Lethul

FH is my second home
Nalistah said:
I smile every time I see the words "skill" and "daoc" in the same sentece. :)
My 6 year old nephew would be able to compete in this game.

If you still believe there is much skill involved in daoc, then my friend, you have never played a game that requires skill to compete.

Todays daoc = the person with best gear, most artis, most charges up, wins.

there is a huge difference between stealth daoc and none stealth daoc tho

Lethul

FH is my second home
Fluid said:
If theres no skill in daoc, why are NP streaks ahead of all other mid guild grps who play in set grps and are similar Realm Ranks?

and how do i manage to rox on bard the very first time i play it? :D

Lethul

FH is my second home
Lethul said:
slash i am very skilled dash tyvm se

oh, and

[11:07] <lethul> who is teh greatest bard ever?
[11:07] <prozze> lethul

Gordonax

Fledgling Freddie
Nalistah said:
I smile every time I see the words "skill" and "daoc" in the same sentece. :)
My 6 year old nephew would be able to compete in this game.

If you still believe there is much skill involved in daoc, then my friend, you have never played a game that requires skill to compete.

Todays daoc = the person with best gear, most artis, most charges up, wins.

In the "solo" stealth wars, this is largely true. However, in group play, there's more chance of the skill of the player making a difference, because each player needs to do his job properly if you're to win. If the sorc misses that mezz, you can still win if the minstrel gets SoS off at *exactly* the right moment. Then a really fast, aware cleric can keep you alive long enough to stay in the fight.

Gordonax

Fledgling Freddie
Aeicaan said:
why would ppl be so retarded and run like that?

Because some people enjoy playing a class that's difficult to win with? Because some people don't want to play a game in easy mode all the time? Because some people like the challenge of making a competitive group that doesn't simply rely on cookie cutter line ups?

If you think that doing something different is "retarded", I pity you my friend.

Gordonax

Fledgling Freddie
duact said:
and humberton guard running with 1 nongimped char in their zerg

The last time we did serious RvR was with 2fg of under RR4 characters in HW. We had a great time, as (I think) did the Hibs and Mids we fought. If having fun with characters that aren't uber twinked fotm boredom makes us gimps, at least it makes us gimps who enjoy the game, don't take it seriously, and play for fun.

Loxleyhood

Fledgling Freddie
Gordonax said:
In the "solo" stealth wars, this is largely true. However, in group play, there's more chance of the skill of the player making a difference, because each player needs to do his job properly if you're to win. If the sorc misses that mezz, you can still win if the minstrel gets SoS off at *exactly* the right moment. Then a really fast, aware cleric can keep you alive long enough to stay in the fight.

That's exactly why I say solo stealth wars require more skill. Groupers can make a mistake, and have the rest of their group to fall back on. A solo stealther must play no less than perfect.

Arnor

Fledgling Freddie
I seriously was very close to persuading xanatea to get np to make a 3thane group (or 2thanes 1sm) half a year ago, and I still believe it can roxxor with good players.

Talivar

Part of the furniture
IMO ppl didnt understand what div was saying.There is nothing wrong with making optimal groups to get most rps as long as u admit thats the reason,The point div was trying to make is that so many make optimal groups( clicking easy mode on skill select screen) and then say its them that has the skill.
In reality they are the best at making rps but not the most skilled,the most skilled ppl are the 1s that use non fotm/optimal class/spec/groups and still manage to beat the fotm/optimal 1s.
Its just very annoying to see optimal fotm ppl view all non optimal/fotm ppl as gimped,no skilled noobs.

P.S In answer to rvn the reason to strapping a massive weight to your leg in a race is to prove u can win at a disadvantage :p

Phule_Gubben

Fledgling Freddie
Why not ask all what they think is easymode or whatever u want to know.

Just cause you choose a realm that seems the one you'd like, does it make you elite instantly?

I chosed Midgard cause i like norse mythology more then any of them other realms had to offer me. Even if i'd know from the start that Hibernia or Albion would have been the best to choose classwise, i'd still would have chosen Midgard.

just my 2 cents.

Aloca

Fledgling Freddie
For stealthers there is almost nothing called skill. The skilled things a assassin can do is weapon changes, use pots during fight effectivly, line up pa on other assassin's, make pa traps, other than that its pure luck or class imbalance (Infil>NS>>>>>>>>>>SB (no ap used :D )

Talivar

Part of the furniture
Its not always about what you pick,its more about why.If u picked mid for the setting then its not being optimal.The ppl who pick easy mode are the 1s that look and see what classes/specs are the best then make sure they have all the best gear,like i said its not wrong to do this cus it will get u most rps..what is wrong is to do this then say you are 1 of the skilled 1s and the ppl who dont go full optimal are the unskilled ones.
After thinking about it tho i realise me and div are wasting our breathe here cus even if a non fotm/non optimal group started on daoc and beat every1 90% of the time most ppl here would just call it luck or some other reason :(

Talivar

Part of the furniture
LOL yea i forgot that, 1 week all the group would be classed as lucky noobs then they would log on the following week to a scene from star wars clone armys:p

Ilienwyn

Fledgling Freddie
Arnor said:
I seriously was very close to persuading xanatea to get np to make a 3thane group (or 2thanes 1sm) half a year ago, and I still believe it can roxxor with good players.

Well, with 4 seers and 3-4 demezzers why have problem there. Try it with 2 seers :D

If alb groups could have 3-4 demezzers and 4 "seers" it could make my life easier when I tried to get a group... :eek:

Filip

Fledgling Freddie
If you dont understand that class's and realms got a hugh impact on youre preformance then you are a noob..

and visa versa.. if you dont see the that skill allso has a hugh impact on youre preformance then you must be skill less youre self..

(just to make sure.. i do agree with talivar and divina in their point about the elitzor groups)

Ralgedi Smurf

One of Freddy's beloved
Even or fights against the odds are allways the most fun.

A fight where you just steam roll they enemy is no fun, but a fight against superior numbers or just against good players/chars forces you to play your char far better to come out on top.

Lothandar

Fledgling Freddie
duact said:
and humberton guard running with 1 nongimped char in their zerg

A blue con connu cabalist rude spammed me in a humberton gaurd zerg :( :( :(

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Team Play / Realm Play

Vindicator said:
The 'Skills' I would list in Daoc would be something like this:
"Team Coordination"
"Battle Field Foresight"
"Battle Field Interpretation"
"Laterial Thinking"
"Fast hand To Eye Coordination"
"Knowning The Limitations of your Group mates"
Team tatics is another big factor. Albs have improved a bit over the years but now focus too much on 8 vs 8 to test their leetness. still dont really work as a realm team imo. I can remember countless times people yelling, "dont follow!". As a bunch of albs would break from the 'zerg' at MMG and go chasing a small band of mids to mpk. Only to be ganked by groups comming from the right side at speed. What I liked about this was they had 1 FGM literally sacrificing themselves in order to allow their realm mates to win the battle. It was amazing how many times it worked too.

In my experience you do not get the same working together or traps set like mids do. Sad really. Too many people care too much abouts RP's and being elite than actually having some fun. All people seem to care about is being in the perfect grp for 8vs8.

Not so serious:

"Battle Field Foresight" = Radar
"Battle Field Interpretation" = Understanding the Radar Screen

Just a laugh. But to be honest we know it goes on. I can't wait for GoA to start banning the users of this cheats tool - no skill there. No 3 day or 7 day bans just close their accounts please. Had a look at the some radar tool site after viewing some threads on FH recently and was amazed at the widespread usage. Hope they all get caught and banned.

Quote from their website Forum

"I only got banned for 7 days. I didnt lose any RPs or equipment. i will for sure be more careful next time. i hate mythic.radar is the only way to compete against those albion zerglings. im sick of the QQ from them all the time.", Faydx

"why dont you try playing a ranger with a million fotm scout noobs shooting at you all day. i will still use unleashed but i wont get caught again i was stupid last time", faydx

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Lothandar said:
A blue con connu cabalist rude spammed me in a humberton gaurd zerg :( :( :(

sure it wasn't a sorc? remember telling someone off for that once. Not something I like people in HG doing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom