fao goa GMs

Aloca

Fledgling Freddie
-Warhawk- said:
Can we get the low down on this please?

https://forums.freddyshouse.com/showthread.php?t=25055&page=5&pp=40

Basically it involves changing a file in your daoc folder with using notepad to change animations, is it allowed? I'd love to change my evade animation to a backflip but would only do so if it's all ok.

Cheers,
wark

Think i can answer that: No isnt allowed, you are changing the game files, just read eula or whatever.. That little thing you are talking about can be used to do far worse things, they actualy done a fix on US servers so you automaticly crash game if you do stuff like that. (easiest way for them to fix it)

Jpeg[LOD]

Fledgling Freddie
can you tell us what GOA will do when NF comes and they have that new radar detecting stuff.. by that i mean will you be suspending them ? banning them ? stripping them of rp's on 1st offence ?

i personally would prefer a 1st offence of stripping there rp's (so people know who the cheats are. so they cant make a honourable leaving thread , pretending they leaving on there own account and not cos they got banned)

also how many (roughly) radar cheating gits have you caught on english servers ? and also what was there punishment ? bans? suspensions?

i know i prolly wont get a proper answer for those questions . but its worth a try cos im fed up of watching enemy grp's and sometimes my own realms groups running around and OBVIOUSLY using radar. easy to spot em using radar when u a stealther (as the stealther GM will know).

Belomar

Part of the furniture
Requiel has made his position on this very clear (there is also the recent Friday news that laid down the law on this): All people caught using radar will be insta-banned, permanently.

Diar

Fledgling Freddie
Requiel said:
Oh I am so not going there....
There are some classes which I think are too powerful in 8v8, however things come around and the characters earning zillions of RPs a night this month will be selling the Big Issue in Hesperos Haven next time around.
I also don't believe the game is or should be balanced for 8v8. I think that different realms should have different strengths and weaknesses in different areas. Midgard can put out solid groups for 8v8. Alb has trouble with this due to the lack of general utility but has an advantage in 2-3 person stealth groups. Hibs excel at static RvR (keeptakes/defenses etc). These are generalisations but they are broadly true. Whether it's a deliberate design by Mythic I couldn't say.

that might be true, but when it comes to keep defense/takes hibs don't excel anymore :p

a: always very outnumbered, as in: hibs arrange a 3-4 FG keepraid (yay) and when they're on the 2nd door there's a 6-7 FG alb/mid counter raid coming to kill the hibs..

b: anims got nerfed :p, as in: with keep defense/take anims just spam lots of shrooms on the walls to keep the attackers/defenders from going there, but the shrooms only have 1000 range (mezz got 1500-2000 range) and nowadays you can only make 15 of them

c: hibs only interested in keeptakes when a 'uber' guild arranges it, as in: I tried to organize a keepraid to get DF, I also asked 1 or 2 people that did come to help me to ask in their alliance (the one with all the 'uber' guilds in it) if there were more people wanting to help, noone else from that alliance showed up and there were alot of people online, so eventually I got 12 people to take the keep...lucky the keep was unclaimed so we didn't get to much reinforcements

that the people from the 'uber' guilds don't help to take DF because 'they're not interested' is one thing, but once we get DF, I finally get inside, and I see about that whole alliance in there, I go sorta nuts

but anyways, hibs don't 'excel' at keep takes/defenses anymore :p

ShivaW

Fledgling Freddie
Belomar said:
Requiel has made his position on this very clear (there is also the recent Friday news that laid down the law on this): All people caught using radar will be insta-banned, permanently.

you sure?

I c ppl who used radar still using radar :m00:

Jpeg[LOD said:
]also how many (roughly) radar cheating gits have you caught on english servers ? and also what was there punishment ? bans? suspensions? .

plz any GM respond it, iz very fk getting jump or getting add from all the site :m00:

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
ShivaW said:
you sure?

I c ppl who used radar still using radar :m00:

plz any GM respond it, iz very fk getting jump or getting add from all the site :m00:
I get a lot of reports of suspected radar use and I investigate each one of them. In addition to the initial investigation, I also keep a list of people who I think need to have an eye kept on them. From time to time I'll randomly pick a name from this list and follow them about for a bit to see what they are up to.
As a result I get a much more complete view of the situation than any player can (except for possibly the people I'm following of course). People see a group zero in on them a couple of times and assume there's radar involved. I see the same group taking their share of being jumped, complaining about radar users, bumping into guard patrols, running past realm enemys the other side of a hill etc. In other words, doing exactly what any other group in RvR does without radar. There have been times when I've seen somthing that stretched coincidence but I honestly don't believe that radar use is as widespread as it is commonly believed to be.
There are undoubtedly people who do use it and as we catch them, they will be banned. Several people have found this out to their cost. If you have definite proof that someone is using radar (rather than just 'I got jumped when I was rebuffing at the AMG Emain 3 times in a row') then report it, if they are and we catch them then they won't be polluting your server anymore.

illu

Part of the furniture
\o/

The annoying thing as a stealther now - which I think some people sometimes forget, is that some people in a FG will have an item that has Stealth Lore - and desperate for their RPs, a FG WILL hunt down a solo sb :/ (Swines).

This can look like radar usage - but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, and I'm glad the admins check suspects out and that they get perma-banned if caught cheating.

Oli - Illu

vintervargen

Banned
just as it is possible (if you are smart) to play CS with wallhack without anyone noticing, so is radar in daoc. if you are trying to detect it with human resources that is.

Axuk

Fledgling Freddie
Requiel said:
Co-op/3rd English server. We will offer a 3rd English server when the population warrants it. We don't want to kill Prydwen to start another server and neither do we want to invest money in hardware that may not be fully utilised.

Prydwen population has slowly declined. Used to average around 1900 online a night, for some time now its dropped to 1200-1600 aprox (and who knows what proportion of those are actually BBs, second accounts). With decling population comes the problems of fewer groups for both rvr and pve, less active guilds = less fun in general and harder for any new players who do find their way to DAOC.

Many players quit when TOA arrived, it's safe to assume more will go with the arrival of NF and other MMORPGs.

With NF and Catacombs on their way, what plans does GOA have to take the opportunity to advertise the game aggressively in the UK to stop the slow bleed? What marketing/advertising does it currently do in the UK?

Those running guilds know that even though stats show they have 90 plus members the reality is rarely more than 10 are online at any given time these days.

Also why has GOA not given EU guildmasters the ability to gc remove players that are not online as Mythic has done in the US? People know who in their quild has quit the game and surely should have the ability to tidy their own guilds as they see fit. Problems occur when an inactive account is sold on ebay or traded allowing some unknown player access to steal anything they like from guild houses they have no loyalty to - and because gms have no ability to remove them before it happens nothing can be done to prevent such things happening. This also causes an issue when a player is removed from a guild for whatever reason and the rest of their chars cannot be removed.

Its ridiculous for guildmasters to have to apply to rightnow to remove such chars from their guilds all the time, especially when many guilds in reality now have dozens of long innactive players guilded or can't grant permissions to trusted guildies because they have no control over who is in their guild without flooding GOA with silly houskeeping requests.

There is no reason not to enable this function here as it is in the States, anyone accidentally removed can always be reguilded when they reappear.
Only downside I can see is that allowing gms to get on and run their guilds would show the real figures of how many active players really are in each guild.

Aussie

Banned
Requiel said:
Several people have found this out to their cost.

-why no name & shame ? :|
-a number of total bans on EU servers for radar would be nice too.

Aussie

Banned
and like said in another post. a smart radar user won't get caught easy. From what i've read GMs make an invisible enemy spawn and see how they react on it. radar users know it can be tests from GMs or people trying to record radar users. making 3 full groups enemies 'spawn' and let them move towards the possible radaruser would be much more effective I think :X

Clipse

Fledgling Freddie
why do people whine about radar so much ?

No1. people that use radar, are losers, that probably suck.

No2. Isn't it good for the enemy to come to you ? rather than looking for them. :D

Ckiller

Loyal Freddie
kirennia said:
One question i'd like to ask to clear up some discussions and arguments which have been going on recently as you have most probably read; Is the bug where a person cannot be grappled due to having 28 effects on their character considered abuse and/or a bannable offense? There are a number of people who are doing this purposefully and having an unbalancing effect on the game. Is this going to be adressed as bug abuse or are you waiting for a fix in a later patch?

Thanks for your time.

Also would like to know the answer to this not that it affects me

Diar

Fledgling Freddie
Axuk said:
Prydwen population has slowly declined. Used to average around 1900 online a night, for some time now its dropped to 1200-1600 aprox (and who knows what proportion of those are actually BBs, second accounts). With decling population comes the problems of fewer groups for both rvr and pve, less active guilds = less fun in general and harder for any new players who do find their way to DAOC.

Many players quit when TOA arrived, it's safe to assume more will go with the arrival of NF and other MMORPGs.

With NF and Catacombs on their way, what plans does GOA have to take the opportunity to advertise the game aggressively in the UK to stop the slow bleed? What marketing/advertising does it currently do in the UK?

Those running guilds know that even though stats show they have 90 plus members the reality is rarely more than 10 are online at any given time these days.

Also why has GOA not given EU guildmasters the ability to gc remove players that are not online as Mythic has done in the US? People know who in their quild has quit the game and surely should have the ability to tidy their own guilds as they see fit. Problems occur when an inactive account is sold on ebay or traded allowing some unknown player access to steal anything they like from guild houses they have no loyalty to - and because gms have no ability to remove them before it happens nothing can be done to prevent such things happening. This also causes an issue when a player is removed from a guild for whatever reason and the rest of their chars cannot be removed.

Its ridiculous for guildmasters to have to apply to rightnow to remove such chars from their guilds all the time, especially when many guilds in reality now have dozens of long innactive players guilded or can't grant permissions to trusted guildies because they have no control over who is in their guild without flooding GOA with silly houskeeping requests.

There is no reason not to enable this function here as it is in the States, anyone accidentally removed can always be reguilded when they reappear.
Only downside I can see is that allowing gms to get on and run their guilds would show the real figures of how many active players really are in each guild.

/autoremove <name> and ur done, they'll get kicked as soon they log in ;o

Ning

Fledgling Freddie
Axuk said:
Prydwen population has slowly declined. Used to average around 1900 online a night, for some time now its dropped to 1200-1600 aprox

There are always less online players during summers than during the rest of the year. I saw this phenomenon the 2 last years. I would wait september to see if there is a real drop in the number of players.

illu

Part of the furniture
Clipse said:
why do people whine about radar so much ?

No1. people that use radar, are losers, that probably suck.

No2. Isn't it good for the enemy to come to you ? rather than looking for them. :D

Hehe - it's sounds good - but from screenshots I've seen - they see your class / lvl / RR level etc., they can see everything about you (Health level?), so they have a good idea if they are going to win the fight before you even meet them.

Oli - Illu

Axuk

Fledgling Freddie
Diar said:
/autoremove <name> and ur done, they'll get kicked as soon they log in ;o

Doesn't address the issue of players known to have quit.. you can't remove them and it gives a false idea of how many people really are active in a guild.

Axuk

Fledgling Freddie
Ning said:
There are always less online players during summers than during the rest of the year. I saw this phenomenon the 2 last years. I would wait september to see if there is a real drop in the number of players.

Yes to a small degree, but this is the first year we have had TOA and we were all able to read the dozens of I quit posts...

Besides, Excaliber pop is up and averaging over 2k .. could a certain amount of this be players from Pryd voting with their feet and playing a more active server?

1200 on Pryd and bear in mind up to 50% of those have the potential to be buffbots.. you do the maths.

If you have a slow bleed of people leavign for whatever reason and no new players joining because they don't know the game exiists eventually you end up with no game.

DAOC isn't stocked as a matter of course, its pretty hard to find, so you aren't going to get enough new people in the game unless you tell them its there :D

illu

Part of the furniture
Well the game was sold-out when ToA was released in a lot of shops around London, and the all-in-one pack was also selling well. I think play.com was one of the best places to get the game in the end.

I think every time a new add-on comes out - it is pretty well marketed / supported.

I just think for new people joining the game now - I can imagine that it is pretty daunting to start from level 0, possibly without a BB, and chug on through to lvl 50. Saying that - most of us have been there, so if they get the addiction bug - which is what everyone that is playing has, I'm sure they will play and the population will remain constant. So there will still be people to kill out there for a few years at least :>

And I think all the people that have played the game for the last 2.5+ years will keep playing the game until they achieve what they want to achieve, for some it's RR10, others want to role play etc.

There will be new games that people will try - but I think there is a hard core element that will pretty much always be here :>

Oli - Illu

Belomar

Part of the furniture
Well, Mythic is working on ways to ease levelling (automatically gaining a level etc), so the game will be easier for newbies to start in soon.

IainC

Well subscriber numbers continue to rise, and yes, while some of the 'new' subscribers may well be existing players buying second or third accounts, many are actual new players experiencing the game for the first time.
As I write this post there are 17,900 players across all the European servers which equates to an average server population of close to 1500 at 6:30 CET on a weekday afternoon. At prime time the populations are closer to an average of 2200 per server which is a good number to be playing with.
We market the game in all the major European territories and try very hard to keep the playerbase growing.

The /gc autoremove command isn't activated in the international version. Hopefully it will be implemented in a future patch but I don't have any information on that.

Grapple immune Savages. No it's not intended. No it's not abuse (although I've yet to hear a good reason why a Savage needs PoM or an Acuity buff) - we aren't going to punish people for having buffs even if they can't use them. Hopefully it will get fixed soon.

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
Requiel said:
Well subscriber numbers continue to rise, and yes, while some of the 'new' subscribers may well be existing players buying second or third accounts, many are actual new players experiencing the game for the first time.
As I write this post there are 17,900 players across all the European servers which equates to an average server population of close to 1500 at 6:30 CET on a weekday afternoon. At prime time the populations are closer to an average of 2200 per server which is a good number to be playing with.
We market the game in all the major European territories and try very hard to keep the playerbase growing.

The /gc autoremove command isn't activated in the international version. Hopefully it will be implemented in a future patch but I don't have any information on that.

Grapple immune Savages. No it's not intended. No it's not abuse (although I've yet to hear a good reason why a Savage needs PoM or an Acuity buff) - we aren't going to punish people for having buffs even if they can't use them. Hopefully it will get fixed soon.

savages r stupid :D and they need 2 breath water in emain coz they have difficulty :D its true <doesnt lie>

Phusion

Fledgling Freddie
could you please post a picture of the prydwen server? the computer i mean :p

Bellona

Banned
Phusion said:
could you please post a picture of the prydwen server? the computer i mean :p

I would like to see the camlann one too,.... all dusty in the back of the office, with mices living in it etc :D

KOB

Fledgling Freddie
hm look I love when the Gm´s from GOA enter the forums

ít does bring a better community in the forum and ingame.

Axuk

Fledgling Freddie
Requiel said:

Quoting averages and growth across all European servers doesn't answer the question. Averaging things out may well give you a figure of 1500/2200 per server, however the fact remains that the real figure on Pryd is nearer to 1200/1600 and dropping.

I've been unable to find anyone who has seen DAOC actively marketed in the UK so I'm still interested to know just where it is advertised. And the game is not on shelves in most game stores. When an expansion is due out the shops where people are placing orders sometimes get a few spare copies in. These of course are snapped up by the people who already play who just did not pre order. New players do not just find DAOC on shelves for them to buy.

Most of the players I know bought the game because a friend who already plays told them about it.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Requil is mythic looking into the bug with animist bombers, i have 26% capped resists on all my armour but i still get hit like i had 0. Before everyone flames i tested this, once with a un-sc'd set and once with a sc'd one the damage was approx the same (near 500). Sorry forgot to take the screenies will try it again and do so

Im jsut curious to know if mythic are even aware of it

oo before i forget is there any way to get a disbanded guild deleted? do i put it on rightnow or is there a way to do it ingame?

IainC

I've answered the marketing question a couple of times but I'll briefly recap here.
Shops order less copies than they think they are going to sell as it's easier to order more than it is to return unsold stock. The number they order is purely the decision of the store and nothing to do with marketing. As I've said before, this is very much a niche market and is advertised in the same way as other niche interests - in specialist websites and by recommendation. Players looking for a game of this type will find information about DAoC in the same places as they will find info about EQ, SWG, WoW etc. We do run promotions with games magazines from time to time to raise awareness and we expect this to continue. In fact I expect the marketing effort will ramp up in the near future in response to certain internal changes here at Goa.

Chronicktank: I can't answer for Mythic. Best thing is to check the grab-bags and upcoming patch notes, if it's not mentioned in there then there's a good chance they aren't aware of it.
You can't delete inactive guilds yourself but every so often we 'spring clean' all the guilds with no members to kleep slots free for new guild creation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom