Excal/pryd cluster with german/frensh server

Vodkafairy

Fledgling Freddie
Urgluf said:
Req said there was always a decrease at this time of the year and that is ofcourse because of the exams? Many of the players are actuelly still studying, may it be high school or uni... That was ofcourse what I ment.

The overal decrease is just because the game is dieing and many ppl rerolled to play with ze germans. :touch:

how, when all unis in all countries have different examination periods? maybe it's just me, but it seems exams really are the last thing that are going to cause a significant drop in population. must be another reason ;)

only educational 'happening' that will influence population is probably the summer holiday, but it'll be balanced out by people spending more time outdoors.

Muylaetrix

Can't get enough of FH
Tesla Monkor said:
If you expect the Germans to play in English, you are deluding yourself. That will not happen - it would not be fair to them (and illegal to boot, since the German law enforces the product to be provided in German), and it makes no economic sense since WE (English players) are the minority, and not them.

Each cluster keeping their own language with a shared (German) Frontier area is the way to go - and most likely the way GOA will decide to go. The question is just -when-.

good chance it will follow that scenario. but they will probably cluster italian and spanish with us, not us with germans or french.

GrivneKelmorian

Fledgling Freddie
charmangle said:
Eh, the english speaking community is a rediculous minority, so for GoA to go and make anything at all english for the germans would just be plain stupid.
/Charmangle

i do belive that in this case, if it would be that way, making rvr zones english speaking, would be the wisest choise.

i do belive that more german/french people speak and understand english then english speaking people (read: nordic aswell as other countries) read, speak and understand german/french.

hope that made sense :p

Tesla Monkor

Fledgling Freddie
Muylaetrix said:
good chance it will follow that scenario. but they will probably cluster italian and spanish with us, not us with germans or french.

I guess the additional 10 players will really make a difference. :)

brad

Fledgling Freddie
If they clustre us with German servers, couldn't they not change the German language just add English texts as the end of merchant names etc. It wouldn't require two totally split language as when we would read something, it would be both in English and in German.

All they would have to do is add the appropriate english texts on to all the wording in DAOC, although the names would be rather long who cares, you can still read it. Soz if i Don't make sense.

I.E. you visit a Smith in Aegir and it would read

< German name for smith> < English wording for Smith>

Shike

Can't get enough of FH
I dont think its that easy Brad. Would require quite abit of work I reckon.

Besides, german aint THAT hard, im a complete imbecill when it comes to languages and even I manage playing there, granted Ill be confused now and then but it aint that bad tbh, it just require alil more thought, is all.

liloe

It's my birthday today!
Danamyr said:
So why should we have our game in German, since we choose English to begin with? Hmm?

You can play in english....even if there are only 2 other players online the service would be provided for you 3 only. Now if you want to play with more people, then maybe it's time to understand the way a compromise works. You can play and our servers and get in contact with more people, but on the other hand you have to accept that the main language is german.

Danamyr said:
What nonsense. English is the universal language, that's well known, so don't try and argue differently because it's utterly pointless. If Germans can still understand the game in English then GoA can bloody well make a cluster English.

That's the biggest bullshit I've ever heard tbh. Oh yeah, MY language is so universal so please all speak it, kthx.

Do you realise that not all people on German servers want to speak English all the time? I can tell you from my own personal experience that especially older people were very sceptic towards the classic cluster cause of the language.

I don't know how you think of the world, but English is not the crown of the universe (try going to Brazil, you'll quickly see). If GOA keeps 300 Eng. players just to loose 400 Ger. ones then they bloody well know that they won't make a cluster. Do you think they made english servers to worship the english language? haha ^^ It's money my friend, money. Every company tries to please their customers with good service and changing a German server to an English one would most definately NOT be good service.

If you want to play on a German server, feel free to do so, but respect the population. Most people don't mind speaking some English to help out others, but well, it's not their mother tongue so they prefer to talk in German. I'm glad if people ask me for some help cause I like to help people out with various questions, but what I can't stand are the people who try to enforce their own little thing. See, I'm easy with people speaking every kind of whatever language they want to, be it French, Finnish, Norwegian, Italian or even Russian, but I've never seen an ML raid on Excal going on entirely in another language than English, cause that simply is the server language.

The day Dywet and a German cluster are clustered, it's Dywet that will turn German or nothing cause it's not really the Germans who demand it, aye?

P.S. Now all you gotta do is twist my words a bit and tell me that I simply hate the English language, which is the reason why I played Excal since beta and study English :fluffle:

GrivneKelmorian said:
i do belive that in this case, if it would be that way, making rvr zones english speaking, would be the wisest choise.

i do belive that more german/french people speak and understand english then english speaking people (read: nordic aswell as other countries) read, speak and understand german/french.

hope that made sense :p

I got told most Norwegians speak German =)) Isn't that true? =)

Erulin

One of Freddy's beloved
Dutch_NS said:
This morning when i was online i did a /who all in hib and got 23 peeps \o/ 70 total on excal/pryd then i saw this quote on FH.

So the hibs had close to 1/3th of the entire population at that time ? That's wierd...

Ucallme

Banned
If they did Cluster the Exc/Pryd Server all they would need to do is make a programme where you can Download and patch yourself to make it the language you need.

Amphrax/Arauddry

Roko

Fledgling Freddie
liloe said:
I got told most Norwegians speak German =)) Isn't that true? =)

We get to choose a third language in school (1st ofc Norwegian, 2nd English), which is either German or French. Most people choose German, because its similarity to Norwegian is quite large.

eble@work

Fledgling Freddie
Erulin said:
So the hibs had close to 1/3th of the entire population at that time ? That's wierd...

Ok that wasn't a good example how about this then:

Saturday 21/01/2007 time 19:00hrs GMT

Total cluster population 551

Total number of hibs 111 (exclusing anons) total hibs in NF 37 couldn't be bothered to count the BB but probabyl at least 1/3 of that number if not 1/2.

Just a little side note Glastonbury has 302 people on it alone, thats nearly as many as excal ! oh how the days have changed, I remember trying to log in with my guild and having to wait until someone left the server!

Eble

Calmin

Fledgling Freddie
Brad changing the name of merchants would be a lot of work for them and to be honest pretty pointless....nearly all of us use custom UI's and im guessing even vanilla UI with english Client will still give an English labelled map on a german server like custom UI's do so travelling around is still easy as is finding the smith/ healer / etc

IF they clustered Pryd/ Excal with a german server tomorrow and turned everything german would you not be able to find the smith in your home capital? ...Would you not be able to guess what teleport guildhouse was on the teleporter just by remembering its position on the list (how i did it to begin with)....we all know the main zones of our realms off by heart anyways so whats the big problem?.

The english speakers on here (its the only language i speak btw) need to realise that clustering with a vastly more populated german cluster would be a huge benefit to you even if you have to get used to some german....i bet you a lot of old excal / pryd players that have left will come back if they see daily cluster populations of 2500 rather than 500, so old friends may even return.

Just be a bit more open minded....roll a lvl 1 toon on a german server and see for yourself that its no big deal playing a game you know backwards in a different language. (you'll be surprised how much stuff remains in english due to english client and custom UIs also).

Cromcruaich

Can't get enough of FH
Calmin said:
Brad changing the name of merchants would be a lot of work for them and to be honest pretty pointless....nearly all of us use custom UI's and im guessing even vanilla UI with english Client will still give an English labelled map on a german server like custom UI's do so travelling around is still easy as is finding the smith/ healer / etc

IF they clustered Pryd/ Excal with a german server tomorrow and turned everything german would you not be able to find the smith in your home capital? ...Would you not be able to guess what teleport guildhouse was on the teleporter just by remembering its position on the list (how i did it to begin with)....we all know the main zones of our realms off by heart anyways so whats the big problem?.

The english speakers on here (its the only language i speak btw) need to realise that clustering with a vastly more populated german cluster would be a huge benefit to you even if you have to get used to some german....i bet you a lot of old excal / pryd players that have left will come back if they see daily cluster populations of 2500 rather than 500, so old friends may even return.

Just be a bit more open minded....roll a lvl 1 toon on a german server and see for yourself that its no big deal playing a game you know backwards in a different language. (you'll be surprised how much stuff remains in english due to english client and custom UIs also).

Personally I found the npc names a right pain. But then it was a doubly whammy - i'd never played mid either.

Absolutely agree with rest though, there is a small initial pain barrier, but with a bit of commonsense its not too bad, and the rewards should be long and enduring. Sticking with cluster is really a gamble - your gambling your time against whether goa will come up with a solution to the population decline. Starting on a high population server I see as insurance against that. Ofcourse it might be that you feel your coming to the end of your affair with daoc anyway and will stop playing once uk cluster breathes its last.

Calmin

Fledgling Freddie
Cromcruaich said:
Personally I found the npc names a right pain. But then it was a doubly whammy - i'd never played mid as either.

Absolutely agree with rest though, there is a small initial pain barrier, but with a bit of commonsense its not too bad.

Well Crom you're coming at it from a reroll perspective...this is about clustering...i.e. still playing your UK toons on a german server...therefore you should know where NPCs are already etc.

I agree if the realms new to you theres a little difficulty but really its only a day or two until you feel right at home

Cromcruaich

Can't get enough of FH
Calmin said:
Well Crom you're coming at it from a reroll perspective...this is about clustering...i.e. still playing your UK toons on a german server...therefore you should know where NPCs are already etc.

I agree if the realms new to you theres a little difficulty but really its only a day or two until you feel right at home

Aye true, i went off on a bit of a tangent there didnt i. :)

Muylaetrix

Can't get enough of FH
Cromcruaich said:
Sticking with cluster is really a gamble - your gambling your time against whether goa will come up with a solution to the population decline. Starting on a high population server I see as insurance against that. Ofcourse it might be that you feel your coming to the end of your affair with daoc anyway and will stop playing once uk cluster breathes its last.

some people made a gamble and moved to a new cluster with a bigger population. some people made a gamble and stayed on their own cluster asuming in the end we will be clustered anyway. i personally can`t stand the idea of `starting over` on a new server/cluster.

i think i`ll continue playing on the english cluster in the assumption that in the (near) future, we get clustered anyway and i won`t have spend ages trying to rebuild what i had.

liloe

It's my birthday today!
Muylaetrix said:
some people made a gamble and moved to a new cluster with a bigger population. some people made a gamble and stayed on their own cluster asuming in the end we will be clustered anyway. i personally can`t stand the idea of `starting over` on a new server/cluster.

i think i`ll continue playing on the english cluster in the assumption that in the (near) future, we get clustered anyway and i won`t have spend ages trying to rebuild what i had.

It's sometimes fun to rebuild stuff =) You make new friends, make new experiences etc. =) It can be quite cool =)

Muylaetrix

Can't get enough of FH
liloe said:
It's sometimes fun to rebuild stuff =) You make new friends, make new experiences etc. =) It can be quite cool =)

i am a very small and fearfull little creature, new stuff frightens me :/

Cromcruaich

Can't get enough of FH
Muylaetrix said:

Aye, thats fair enough Muy, personally I prefer my odds though ;)

Maeloch

Part of the furniture
The time passes very quickly, it's what, less than 2months since we started on avalon, playing on fairly casual basis and away a couple of weeks at chrimbo and have 1 full toa'd toon + plus fop and some pve toons almost rdy to farm/pl otherstuff/whatever needed in future. Others in guild have multiple 50ths, lgm crafters already.

ofc hc player prolly chuckling at 2months when they did it in 4days etc, but guess my point is in game times 2monthes is not alot. What can you do on cluster over 2months with same playtime? Not much, a quarter of a realm lvl on a rr11 toon or soemthing.

Hope they sort somethign out anyhow, be nice to play the old toons/grp again at some point. Tho we best finish what we started!

Incidentally, wonder what the implications of all this are for the euro-english servers in Warhammer. Will peeps just go straight to US servers knowing they'll be the first to get fucked over by population issues at 'endgame' if they play on euro? Will GoA even run english servers after this? Or maybe they work out how to cluster multi-language servers and it's not an issue.

Appollo

Part of the furniture
I have learnt German to overcome playing on Avalon, LOOTEN and DESTICKEN are some of my new found language. My favourite has to be HUHU, not as funny as nas xD but close.

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
Maeloch said:
Incidentally, wonder what the implications of all this are for the euro-english servers in Warhammer. Will peeps just go straight to US servers knowing they'll be the first to get fucked over by population issues at 'endgame' if they play on euro? Will GoA even run english servers after this? Or maybe they work out how to cluster multi-language servers and it's not an issue.

Good observation and I'll make my decision about Warahmmer (play US or Euro) based on how GoA handles Dyvet.

Calmin

Fledgling Freddie
You'd hope they'd learn to put in the code the ability to multilanguage cluster the servers this time!

Then again if its anywhere near the succss of WoW there'll be so many bloody servers of the same language that we wont be down to the situation DAOC is in for many many years as the starting player base will be so much higher than DAOC's was.

liloe

It's my birthday today!
Muylaetrix said:
i am a very small and fearfull little creature, new stuff frightens me :/

It's no problem, you just start over again in Albion then, the Paladins have an Aura of Courage.....well at least in D&D they do =)

Dutch_NS

Can't get enough of FH
Still waiting for Requiel to reply, uber feedback again from goa /clap

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Dutch_NS said:
Still waiting for Requiel to reply, uber feedback again from goa /clap

this isn't a support board - have you tried right now?

Dutch_NS

Can't get enough of FH
Flimgoblin said:
this isn't a support board - have you tried right now?

You mean Rightnow get an answer in 4 weeks or never? ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom