Excal/pryd cluster with german/frensh server

Belisar

One of Freddy's beloved
Genedril said:
Believe it or not there's some talent-less n00bs that play in FG RvR too.

At this point I will just keep my head down.

brad

Fledgling Freddie
Tesla Monkor said:
No, GOA is working on a way to prevent this. In fact, it is already possible, since item names are no longer stored, but rather IDs are stored. Have no fear, the English servers will not be translated to German.

The idea is that we share the frontiers with the Germans. The only issue is that those zones will be in German, while the rest of the English servers stay the same. Relax. :)

I hope this happens sooner rather than later tbh.

Belisar

One of Freddy's beloved
Genedril said:
On top of that Dyvet has such an ingrained intolerance by so many people for other peoples playstyles (from both sides of the fence) that I'd not wish it on another cluster.

Got to agree.

A cluster would fix the numbers problem for a while and then the old intolerances would become too much again and people would leave. All you are doing is transferring a problem not solving it.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Belisar said:
Got to agree.

A cluster would fix the numbers problem for a while and then the old intolerances would become too much again and people would leave. All you are doing is transferring a problem not solving it.

I'd be very surprised if those intolerances weren't there on other servers too, just the people posting here have yet to run into them.

Give it time...

They're less noticeable on a larger population server as well.

How many of the people playing on Avalon now would get annoyed at being added on on the cluster, yet don't notice it or don't get worked up about it on Avalon? Why is this?

Tuthmes

FH is my second home
Flimgoblin said:
I'd be very surprised if those intolerances weren't there on other servers too, just the people posting here have yet to run into them.

Give it time...

They're less noticeable on a larger population server as well.

How many of the people playing on Avalon now would get annoyed at being added on on the cluster, yet don't notice it or don't get worked up about it on Avalon? Why is this?

Cause the zerg is far bigger and thus nameless for most of the time. With a small population everything gets personal very quickly (atleast for some players).

Also germans in general, have a different attitude to the game.

Belisar

One of Freddy's beloved
Flimgoblin said:
I'd be very surprised if those intolerances weren't there on other servers too...

How many of the people playing on Avalon now would get annoyed at being added on on the cluster, yet don't notice it or don't get worked up about it on Avalon?

I do not play Ava myself so cannot speak from a position of knowledge. All I can do is accept what some of the people I know report here. For example..

Cromcruaich said:
it would be more accurate to describe other servers, well certainly avalon (maybe someone could enlighten us on the US situation), to have their own individual dueling and honour system where by far the majority of people have a live and let live attitude and respect the fact that other players want different things out of the game...

If you read any of my posts you will see I try to see other points of view and point the finger at neither one side or the other in this odd debate.

To me there are rights and wrongs on both sides and it is clear that people will never agree. What disappoints is the way that some have tried to impose a playstyle on others (using I pay my subs or 24/7 or it's a mass rpg as an excuse) and that is the thing that has caused friction.

The live and let live attitude is what has been missing from a lot of posts in this forum and in the way people play the game in the UK cluster. If that attitude is present in the majority elsewhere then introducing the stubborn few that did so much damage to the UK cluster is surely wrong.

Whether you think those who left UK cluster were right or wrong is immaterial in a way. From what I have read they seem to have found a home they are currently enjoying. They have escaped the things that so annoyed them on UK cluster. Maybe that is rose tinted glasses or whatever but merging them with the people and styles they decided to move away from seems a bizarre choice to me.

People's attitudes have not changed despite all the posts and recriminations.

Ofc I could always be talking out of my arse ;)

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
I'm not trying to single out the people who've left with that comment btw - it's just an example.

People who are now playing on Avalon aren't being annoyed as much by certain things in game - they're more tolerant.

Random theory:
Is this because there's more people around? I'm not convinced it's just that... we've had all these intolerances for years...

Is it because they take a different attitude with them? On Avalon they're guests, visitors, new arrivals... getting to know everyone... on Dyvet it's _their_ server*...

I'd be happy to be proven wrong but I suspect that after a while the things that used to irritate them on E/P will irritate them on Avalon.

*Don't take this the wrong way - I'm not meaning to implying anything here other than that after a few years on a server you'd consider it to be your home and that your voice should be heard somehow regarding what happens on it. E.g. I consider Dyvet to be _my_ server as much as anyone elses.

It's also possible it's just a critical mass of players - 3000 people online means you don't get the problems you do get with <2000? (Before cluster both servers were under 2000 for a while and after cluster I think we were only just around that number? I'm sure someone can get some less vague numbers to back that up or correct me - I'm not meaning any particular number, just is there a threshold of tolerance? A size of population below which the cliques become more noticeable?)

Belisar

One of Freddy's beloved
Not sure I would go with the new server/new attitude thing.

I think that your outlook is a personal perspective (yes it is open to some persuasion) but in general the people I know seem to have enjoyed the move. I could imagine starting afresh and getting used to things in an unfamiliar language causing quite a lot of frustration to some (a challenge to others) so I would expect to see some mixed reports.

The numbers issue could be more interesting. More numbers equals more variety and therefore the extremes stand out less. Dunno how you test it though.

Sharkith

Can't get enough of FH
Flimgoblin said:
It's also possible it's just a critical mass of players - 3000 people online means you don't get the problems you do get with <2000? (Before cluster both servers were under 2000 for a while and after cluster I think we were only just around that number? I'm sure someone can get some less vague numbers to back that up or correct me - I'm not meaning any particular number, just is there a threshold of tolerance? A size of population below which the cliques become more noticeable?)

Yeah this is it for me. There will always be people who want to cause problems for others. Just because you speak German doesn't mean you can't be a prat. What happened here simply exposed how people who wish to grief others can use legitimate in game measures to do it and get away scot free. All because population had got too low. GOA hopefully will respond to those admissions they owe us that at the very least.

This is what gets me. Moving does not solve that problem and it is one of the reasons why I think people keep coming back. Its just not a closed book.

The solution I felt was pretty straight forward simply post a voluntary agreement over the issues most hurting people. Post guidelines for those guilds/alliances to sign up to as a charter to help explain how they feel it would be good for people to play. Alliances can then become quite relevant to how the server shapes up. Something like an AC'ed relic any alliance signed up can agree to drop the towers and keeps attached to the relic keep to 1 and leave it like that. Thus giving people a sporting chance out of the issue. The negative event turns positive and the griefer doesn't get what he wants. This would not have preclude a defense just one where the odds were not soo highly stacked against the attackers. Once more all done voluntarily and if someone doesn't agree let them speak for themselves. If a guild objects let that guild hold its keep and towers at whatever level it sees fit.

Other things that could be done are to post a range of guidelines for play styles. Tell people who like this and this where they can find that kind of style then go and positively encoruage it to happen as we already had several times here. All it needs is voluntary and widespread agreement. The main goal for this would simply be that people try to consider each other in game and show some respect. It not hard and not much to ask.

It seems to have been achieved elsewhere here it became such an issue no-one could get over it. Which seems odd.

Sure there will still be that minority around that likes to grief others. The point is their actions become largely irrelevant to the dynamic of the server and not the determining factor.

Vodkafairy

Fledgling Freddie
Flimgoblin said:
People who are now playing on Avalon aren't being annoyed as much by certain things in game - they're more tolerant.

true, partly due to the mentality of limors' community and partly due to the fact people are making a new start and try to avoid mistakes they made in the past

Random theory:
Is this because there's more people around? I'm not convinced it's just that... we've had all these intolerances for years...

Is it because they take a different attitude with them? On Avalon they're guests, visitors, new arrivals... getting to know everyone... on Dyvet it's _their_ server*...

I'd be happy to be proven wrong but I suspect that after a while the things that used to irritate them on E/P will irritate them on Avalon.

its not really like that flim, infact, it's only gotten better over time since we started on avalon. our main interest is 8vs8 and we go to the 8vs8 zone every single day we play and get as many fights as we want. there never are confusions or adds, its just pure fgfights and thats what we play for.

we are dinging rr10 now after 3-4 months almost exclusively from 8v8 and the times we bumped into situations like we had every day on dyvet (arguments on irc or adds etc) can be counted on one hand.

I think we can safely say "the roleplayers" fucked it up for "the elitists" because they kept ruining their fights, and on their turn, "the elitists" fucked it up for "the roleplayers" with extensive whine and bitter flaming. it's a circle that can only go downhill, but such a thing doesn't really exist on limors. both groups of people have their own place to play in.

obviously, more players = more action = more fun

(limors = ava/lyo cluster)

Gibbo

Fledgling Freddie
Vodkafairy said:
I think we can safely say "the roleplayers" fucked it up for "the elitists" because they kept ruining their fights, and on their turn, "the elitists" fucked it up for "the roleplayers" with extensive whine and bitter flaming. it's a circle that can only go downhill, but such a thing doesn't really exist on limors. both groups of people have their own place to play in.

Yeah but you expected 8v8 fights not to be added on anywhere in the frontiers when you played on this cluster. It isn't the "roleplayers" fault that they fucked your game up, it was your own attitude to it, which now seems to have changed. I agree with you totally though that an 8v8 zone that people respect is a great idea (*), it's just that you expected that in the middle of Hadrians Wall when all sides had iRvR. It was never gonna happen.

I think you'll find that as the population drops on Avalon the same situations will happen there as happened here as people have to drop their standards in search of people to fight.

(*) just as a side note, DT has always respected 8v8 fights in areas where adding from other groups doesn't happen.

ruw

Fledgling Freddie
"...when the time comes to act."

bit late mebbe? :p

Dutch_NS

Can't get enough of FH
Think the problem is they have to make up new cluster names, Dyvet and limors took a couple of months also, so maybe in 4 months when they made up a new name we might get a cluster.

Punishment

Resident Freddy
Tbh sure their would be major technical issues with Giving UI based languages for English/German/French ... but if all EU servers shared NF just think of how insane the last year or 2 of the game would be from an RvR PoV ... it would be even better than the summer before ToA came out ..... Fucking Givf tbh :(

Gotta be worth the effort ... Someone make a Petition and ill sign it :D

Joohl

Loyal Freddie
Said it before and I'll say it again.
GoA should sell pryd/excal accountrights back to Mythic, and then Mythic can cluster pryd/excal with a US server. The only problem would be housing, witch could be solved with a ingame item so pryd/excal accounts could get a house free of cost in US.

thergador

Fledgling Freddie
Joohl said:
Said it before and I'll say it again.
GoA should sell pryd/excal accountrights back to Mythic, and then Mythic can cluster pryd/excal with a US server. The only problem would be housing, witch could be solved with a ingame item so pryd/excal accounts could get a house free of cost in US.

they different companies so you would have to lose any camlan toons avalon etc
it not just a simple sell the cluster they would have to sell all the accounts and any server's linked to those account

asking to be clustered with the usa server makes about as much since to goa and mythic as say clustering with wow

if mythic implement there pay for toon transfer then they could may be do it but you would lose house and any thing left in there and you would have to pay for two lots of subs as well

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom