Games Elite: Dangerous

Athan

Resident Freddy
I'm CMDR Athanasius (I used 'Athan' as my nominated NPC name). If any of you are on QuakeNet IRC then pop into #Elite-Dangerous, we're a mostly helpful bunch.

Athan

Resident Freddy
Is there such a thing as guilds/corps in game?
No, specifically not.

We should be getting 'Wings' (fly together more easily, share in bounties, no friendly fire causing bounties) sometime next year.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
They have said that 'wings' should be soon on the agenda, I believe...

Tilda

I have a hotas stick requested for xmas. Will see what santa brings.

I kinda want to get a rift so that I *only* play it in VR. If only I shat money!

Tilda

heh, just discovered I backed this on kickstarter 2 years ago for £50! Downloading!
Does the mercenary edition get me anything special?

Athan

Resident Freddy
heh, just discovered I backed this on kickstarter 2 years ago for £50! Downloading!
Does the mercenary edition get me anything special?
A free Eagle (parked in a station in the system where you start, probably not the same station as you start at though), some decal(s), and other not so great stuff.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Still doing the training missions but my word its punishing! Extremely rewarding when you pull off a move on another ship though. Just did the training mission with the large ship and two fighters. Shooting the crap out of it and just spinning at the last minute so you don't crash into it. Great stuff.

Can't wait until Sunday when all the Xmas family visits and shit are done with so I have a few days to get into it.

Tilda

So I thought I should do the training, on the same mission as Raven, the problem is I kill the two fighters but lose the large ship. Am I right in thinking there's no way of scanning for it? Its not on my radar at all, target cycling can't find it and I cant "see" it. Am I missing anything blindingly obvious?

Urgat

Part of the furniture
So I thought I should do the training, on the same mission as Raven, the problem is I kill the two fighters but lose the large ship. Am I right in thinking there's no way of scanning for it? Its not on my radar at all, target cycling can't find it and I cant "see" it. Am I missing anything blindingly obvious?

Two possibilities...

1 - Its our of sensor range
2 - It jumped out

You can still see ships with your eyes even if they are not on your scanner... look for engine contrails and head towards them.

otherwise... don't loose it during the furball :) (or... take it out first)

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Yeah I ended up taking it out first in the end.

old.Osy

No longer scrounging, still a bastard.
Aight, I caved and splurged the 50 euros.

Playing it for the first time, and it feels so damn nice, just like the early days of EvE Online. KBM pilot for now, but i got the hang of flying, docking, etc just fine (Well i do spend couple minutes landing, but that's another story). Died once, forgot to request docking permission *duh*.

Wish there was a faster way to issue commands, the current way does seem a bit counter-productive, since your char constantly looks away either left or right, nobody's got time for that during a dog fight, i'd imagine. Oh and constant flying into suns, wtf is up with that, always have to be on your toes and pull away.

Running trade missions mostly, gave up the scanner and guns to lower mass and increase cargohold, sitting at 50k credits with most of the modules upgraded to B/C/D variants, can do 13LY jumps now, looking good.

Smuggling does look interesting to me, the part of micromanaging systems to lower your heat sig is very appealing, and it does look like it will be useful in the future for other erm - stuff :D

Playing solo for now, no point in dieing un-necessarily.

Urgat

Part of the furniture
Aight, I caved and splurged the 50 euros.

Playing it for the first time, and it feels so damn nice, just like the early days of EvE Online. KBM pilot for now, but i got the hang of flying, docking, etc just fine (Well i do spend couple minutes landing, but that's another story). Died once, forgot to request docking permission *duh*.

Wish there was a faster way to issue commands, the current way does seem a bit counter-productive, since your char constantly looks away either left or right, nobody's got time for that during a dog fight, i'd imagine. Oh and constant flying into suns, wtf is up with that, always have to be on your toes and pull away.

Running trade missions mostly, gave up the scanner and guns to lower mass and increase cargohold, sitting at 50k credits with most of the modules upgraded to B/C/D variants, can do 13LY jumps now, looking good.

Smuggling does look interesting to me, the part of micromanaging systems to lower your heat sig is very appealing, and it does look like it will be useful in the future for other erm - stuff :D

Playing solo for now, no point in dieing un-necessarily.

Your FSD has to lock onto the largest mass in system (ie... The star) thats why you always end up flying at it.

The menu system is much easier with head tracking.

My CMDR name is Urgat Ripeye.

Add me for when you venture into open mode.

old.Osy

No longer scrounging, still a bastard.
Allright damn it, Thrustmaster T.Flight HOTAS X ordered from amazon.

Why do you do this to me Elite, why?!

:D

Tilda

Now I find myself fantasizing about buying an x55.
Although I read a review that said that the old Microsoft Sidewinder 2 Force Feedback is a better stick, and then I just need a decent throttle like a CH one or the x52 or x55 throttle. This guy was literally raving about how good the old MS FFB2 is. I think because it has motor sensors rather than the x52 sensors.

I have an old old Logitech Extreme Digital 3D which is alright but no separate throttle and not enough buttons.

Anybody got any wise words? I'm a bit anti buying the thrustmasterX because aside from the separate throttle there doesn't seem to be a massive improvement compared to what I have already.

I'm tempted to buy an old MS FFB2 on ebay and buy a CH throttle to go with it because I know it'll last. Any thoughts anybody?

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
I know you see little value in the Thrustmaster, but I would also pitch in and say you get a lot more buttons to bind with that throttle stick... I have only heard good things from people who have been using them. Yes, a more expensive set up might be nice but there is a huge gulf between prices ...

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Where's the cheapest place to buy the game btw? Or is it only on the ED store?

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Your FSD has to lock onto the largest mass in system (ie... The star) thats why you always end up flying at it.

The menu system is much easier with head tracking.

My CMDR name is Urgat Ripeye.

Add me for when you venture into open mode.
What's head tracking? You need a camera to detect when you look left etc?

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Hmm looks funky but you have to keep your eyes on the screen hehe. So move head up and eyes down at the same time. Might get uncomfortable.

Yeah... that's kinda why I am unsure :)

Athan

Resident Freddy
Hmm looks funky but you have to keep your eyes on the screen hehe. So move head up and eyes down at the same time. Might get uncomfortable.
It only takes a little getting used to (I've used both FaceTrackNoIR and the more expensive, and smoother/better, TrackIR5). After a while you don't even notice any eyestrain from the unfamiliar movements, which was an issue during the learning phase for me. Now I feel hamstrung if I'm not using headtracking.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Ok got it working ok with my console controller which works fine. Now installed voiceattack and just getting used to that. Certainly easier to dock than the original.

Just been doing some training missions. Not to shabby so far as long as I remember the fire button and the accelerated are different. It's not good to fire inside a space station lol

Athan

Resident Freddy
Just been doing some training missions. Not to shabby so far as long as I remember the fire button and the accelerated are different. It's not good to fire inside a space station lol
Learn the specific 'Deploy hardpoints' bind (which you need anyway in order to retract weapons), and turn off "deploy on fire".

Urgat

Part of the furniture
Learn the specific 'Deploy hardpoints' bind (which you need anyway in order to retract weapons), and turn off "deploy on fire".
So much this :)

CMDR Ripeye situation update...

Total assets at approx 6million. All made from bounty hunting and kill missions.

Using a full A-rated viper with 4 gimballed cannons (actual cannons... Not multicannons) a chaff lancher, warrent scanner and shield cells.

Oh... And the union jack paint job.., obviously.

Elite condas go down without breaking a sweat now.

Yum yum yum.

If any of you newbies need a hand let me know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom